Start by marking “Chicks Kick Butt ” as Want to Read:
Chicks Kick Butt

Chicks Kick Butt (Shifters #6.5)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,280 ratings  ·  179 reviews
Chicks are awesome--and never more so than when they are kicking some serious vampire/werewolf/demon/monster butt.

Chicks Kick Butt is an anthology that features one of the best things about the urban fantasy genre: strong, independent, and intelligent heroines who are quite capable of solving their own problems and slaying their own dragons (or demons, as the case may be).
Published June 7th 2011 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Chicks Kick Butt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicks Kick Butt

Emily May

This book is very misleading. Rather than being a collection of stories celebrating women who are both strong and feminine, it is simply various short sequels, prequels and spin-off stories from popular urban fantasy series. Some of them are mildly entertaining, but most are not. Or at least, they're not to those who, like me, are unfamiliar with the series they come from.

Most of the stories cannot be appreciated if you aren't already a hardcore fan and in love with the characters. Seeing as I
Vanessa
The title CHICKS KICK BUTT sounds totally cliché and dumb and silly. But it's totally fun and entertaining. CHICKS is a short story compilation of several popular female Urban Fantasy authors—some you've heard of and some you haven't—and other than a couple of mediocre entries, is a solid group of stories.

"Shiny" by Rachel Caine starts off the book with a story from this popular author's Weather Warden series. Joanne has weather magic, and her boyfriend David is a powerful Djinn. On an outing t
Melindeeloo
Now this is more like it... these leading ladies really do 'kick' it. Most of these stories are connected to long running series, some of which are complete so it was fun to get an encore from favorite characters I haven't seen in awhile. But while most popular urban fantasy authors take us to their established worlds, there are a few who give us glimpses of new ones – there are a few that I really hope I get to visit again.

Shiny by Rachel Caine ~~ A long drive to a picnic at the beach with Davi
Cathy
When all of these anthologies started coming out I thought it was kind of annoying, a desperate sales technique to attach a famous author to several unknowns and convince people to buy a book. But I was wrong, it's a great way to find new authors that I might not have tried otherwise. And a book like this feature all successful authors just trying to entertain us and introduce us to their work through a new avenue. Even though I'm not normally a fan of short stories or novellas, it is a fun way ...more
Jenny
As indicated by the title, Chicks Kick Butt is an anthology featuring heroines who might not mind being referred to as damsels but who would certainly take offense to the name if paired with the words "in distress" and the implications that accompany such a label. Though these women often find themselves in no small amount of trouble, they prefer to fight their own battles with sharp minds, sharp weapons, and sharp figurative and literal claws. Majority of the stories in this action-packed colle ...more
Mara
There are 13 stories in this book, most of them are short, but there are two longer ones as well. Since several of the stories belong to ongoing series, I decided to return to read those after I catch up with their universes. These stories were:

Shiny by Rachel Caine: A story from her Weather Warden series, which I plan on continuing some time soon;

Double Dead by Cheyenne McCray: I have yet to read any of McCray's books, but it seemed counter-productive to begin with this short story, especially
Shaineinok
In Venito Veras by Karen Chance—4.5 stars
A Dorina Basirab short...
The best story for me in this collection.

Shiny by Rachel Caine 3 stars
Part of her Weather Warden series

Hunt by Rachel Vincent 3 stars
Part of her Shifters series. Not bad the heroine was a lot less whiny than Faith..

Monsters by Lilith Saintcrow 3.5stars
Not part of a series. Interesting though.

Vampires Prefer Blondes by P.N. Elrod 3stars
Old time mystery feel to this one.
Plot a little confusing but I did enjoy it.

Nine-Tenths of the
Ronda
Nov 11, 2012 Ronda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those that have read The Shifter Series (Rachel Vincent)
HUNT - RACHEL VINCENT

5 STARS

Hunt is the 6.5 in the Shifter Series, a series I read a good while back, one of my favourite too. I came across this short novel and had to read it. It brought back so many memories of how the final book in the Shifter Series played out and how Abby fit into this book.

A must for all those that read the Shifter Series, this is written just as good and with every ounce of excitement that Rachel Vincent always puts into her books.
Paige
I am not familiar with about half of the contributors to this book so I may be missing quite a bit of a story BUT the anthology contributions are supposed to be able to stand on their own. I enjoy anthologies because this is how I become acquainted with new stories/authors.

Shiny by Rachel Caine—3 stars
(Weather Warden series)—Joanne and David encounter a New Djinn as she is doing a photo shoot. Chaos ensues and Joanne uses her warden powers to try to stop bad things from happening.
This story w
Susan
Chicks Kick Butt was a amazing anthology that gave me some great tales from a few of my favorite authors and introduced me to some great tales from new authors. As a reader, I love reading about strong, capable heroines and this anthology gave me thirteen strong heroines to save the day. Karen Chance, Rachel Vincent, Lilith Saintcrow, and P.N. Elrod all delivered great tales that kept me entertained having been familiar with their work before. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of Chance's Dory charact ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* Overall 3 stars
*Genre* Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

*Review*

3 1/2 stars
Shiny is a Weather Warden short story by Rachel Caine - Not sure where in the series this story actually takes place. It follows Joanna Baldwin and her husband David as they chase a new Djinn named Whitney into the Everglades after she steals a priceless sports car wearing a diamond outfit to die for. Whitney's own rebirth as a Djinn is a mystery and one that can't be explained by anyone; not even Jonathan th
Sho
As the title indicates this is an anthology of urban fantasy women kicking butts! I knew only about half of the series featured in this book, but I enjoyed both new and familiar girls kicking butt.
I especially enjoyed Karen Chance's short story about Dorina getting into a drinking bet with Chang the Chinese Vampire boss. There was no serious butt kicking in this story, however the funny banter and drunk Dorry was just great entertainment. I love the touching scene in the end with Louis-Cesare.
Ryu
So overall, I only really liked a couple of the stories in this anthology. Like other reviews say, if you haven't read the other stories written by these authors, you can't really understand what the hell is going on, or appreciate these shot stories at all. Oh well...

Another thing I had a problem with was that there were a lot of things wrong with the feminism aspect of these stories. Almost like they didn't really know what feminism REALLY is. Yea, let's have these girls fight based on their s
Colleen
This was an anthology of women in various states of power, intelligence, cleverness, emotion, and deceit. I was a little shocked at the average body count in the book, as more than one fight scene included the slaughter of almost everyone in the courtyard/bar/park. Many of the stories were about characters in established series, with the implication that I should know about them already.

The last story, which blended border guard experiences on the Mexican border with the Wild Hunt in Germany, wa
The Flooze
Rating is for Karen Chance's "In Vino Veritas."

Taking place right after book 2 of Dory's series, this brief story was a nice treat. It's a fun example of how trouble finds Dory no matter what. Chance's knack for hilarious situations made me laugh aloud several times and the ending left me so excited for the next book. I can't wait for more!
Marianne
I only bought this anthology because I wanted to read Jenna Black's novel in the Morgan Kinglsey series; Nine-Tenth of the Law, as well as Lilith Saintcrow's Monsters. Therefore I don't feel comfortable rating the book as a whole.

Monsters: Eleni, a vampire preserved loses her fledgeling, seeks revenge and meets a werewolf: Very disappointing. 1★

Nine-Tenth of the Law: Morgan investigates a case of unlawful possession, but is it the demon or the girl's parents that are up to no good...

Pretty good
Sandra "Jeanz"
Rachel Caine not read in fear of spoilers!
Rachel Vincent 5 stars
L A Banks 4 stars
Susan Krinard 1 star
Nancy Holder 2 stars
Esra
I read for karen chance / dorina basarab story. she didn't kick butt exactly :D but it was a cool story. and louis-cesare was there for her :heartmelting:
and I read shifter series short story by rachel vincent. this one has a really kick butt action in it lol awesome.
Lorre
I've only read In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab 2.1) by Karen Chance so far

In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab 2.1) by Karen Chance
This short story is a nice addition to the Dorina Basarab series. 5 stars
Enjee
I only read one of the stories so far and I won't get to the others for awhile, so this rating is based just on "In Vino Veritas", the Karen Chance short with Dory. Excellent as always.
Catherine
Hanging out in that 2 +/not quite 3 star category for me.
The similarity in POV voices (almost entirely first person, etc.) made a lot of the stories run together a bit for me. I suspect that lack of familiarity with the urban fantasy series that these stories are based in played a role in my reaction to the book. "In Venito Veras" by Karen Chance, "Vampires Prefer Blondes" by P.N. Elrod and "Monster Mash" by Carole Nelson Douglas stood out for me and I may have a look around for these series. I
Suzanne Johnson
A who's who of urban fantasy. Great intro to new authors and revisit with familiar ones.
Amanda
When it comes to anthology reviews, story-by-story reviews are totally my favorite. I usually only do those reviews for collections with a small handful of tales, but I decided to do it with this book, which has a little more than a handful. Onwards!

Shiny by Rachel Caine: Have you read Caine’s Weather Warden series? No? Then skip this story. Having never read the series, I know nothing about the universe and therefore knew nothing while reading this story. I felt left out and lost while reading
Lindis Russell
The last story was super cool! I started a little confused, but it didn't take long to get really into it. And then it totally twisted around and ended totally different than I'd expected! I love Meg the main charachter and would like to know more about her powers. And more about that world!!! All of it!!! I want to know more. ~ Overall, "Chicks Kick Butt" well, it kicks butt! I have never read a collection of short stories before, but I kinda like it. The only drawback was that it was too easy ...more
Mitticus
Historias Cortas:
1.Shiny by Rachel Caine (Weather Warden story) -Otra serie que no sigo.
2.In Vino Veritas by Karen Chance--- Dorina siendo Dorina y siempre en problemas :) 3,5 de 5.
3.Hunt by Rachel Vincent -- Cat shifters en los bosques. No es una serie que siga, ni tampoco me interesa.
4.Monsters by Lilith Saintcrow-- Un universo de vampiros que 'preservan' gente especial, una idea que no es nueva (Rice, Briggs, etc) y cazadores, y politica de vampiros. Entretiene.
5.Vampires Prefer Blondes by
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Shiny by Rachel Caine (1-34pg) 2 stars
a weather warden story

Joanne and David are on the way to the beach to have a picnic when they come across Whitney, David describes Whitney as a sociopath and a thief.

personally i prefer Caine other series Morganville Vampires and Outcast Season. also i think Joanne and David have to be the most boring names ever, lol. Whitney was pretty interesting, i wouldnt mind reading more about her. im not a big fan of David so far.

In Vino Veritas by Karen Chance (35-58
Yui
Shiny - Rachel Caine - 2stars
It was ok. I've read the Weather Warden series of course and it's always fun to find short stories of previous favorite series. I'm always tempted to give at least 4 stars to these things in consideration to previously well built up series but I find this one inconsistent. It's written well enough and the quality is consistent of the Weather Warden but the time line is confusing. I just don'T know when to insert it. It's one problem for me when I liked a series well.
Merve  Özcan
Bu yazı ayrıcaKitab-ı Sevda da yayınlanmıştır.

Onca hikaye arasından ikisini ya da üçünü güzel buldum. Sıkıldığım bir antolojiydi. Özellikle sert kadın karakterleri seven bir okuyucuyum, kitabın daha çok hoşuma gideceğini düşünmüştüm.

Antolojide yer alan hikayeler bunlar.
Shiny by Rachel Caine
Nine-Tenths of the Law by Jenna Black
Double Dead by Cheyenne McCray
A Rose by Any Other Nam
Lynda Tatad
Like all anthologies, some stories are better than others. But, I loved the theme! Kick-ass heroines are found most often in the paranormal and urban fantasy stories, and there are a lot to enjoy in this anthology!

These were my faves, but other readers might have different faes:

Rachel Caine gives us a light hearted Weather Warden story in "Shiny" with a mischievous young Djinn who interrupts Joanne and David's plans for a nice picnic.

Rachel Vincent's "Hunt" has werecat Abby's camping weekend wit
Goodreads Librari...: Contributors vs. Authors 9 62 Mar 03, 2013 06:21PM
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2
  • Entangled
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)

“One day, you will say it to me again. You will be sober. And you will mean it.” 19 likes