Start by marking “Beowulf: with the Finnesburg Fragment” as Want to Read:
Beowulf: with the Finnesburg Fragment

Beowulf: with the Finnesburg Fragment

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This timely new edition of Beowulf strives to retain the four distinctive features of the previous editions: textual conservatism, concise presentation, concentration on the needs of literary students, and Wrenn's superb erudition and experience. For the most part it leaves intact Wrenn's basic intentions and editorial decisions; with rare exceptions, they have been altere ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Liverpool University Press (first published 1000)

To ask other readers questions about Beowulf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beowulf

Neil
Oct 28, 2012 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Tolkien fans will no doubt disagree, Klaeber's Beowulf is undoubtably the most important work on the poem ever produced and after ninety years is still the most authoritative edition of the text.

First published in 1922, one of the most exciting periods in Beowulfian studies and dominated by scholars such as Chambers and Lawrence. Chambers, who had by chance published his own Beowulf text and now legendary study of the poem, heaped instant praise on klaeber for his revolutionary new edi
c
Apr 30, 2016 c rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
GREAT STUFF! Klaeber's glosses are kind of eh - very much a product of 19th/20th century mindsets -, but I had a dictionary so that's truly neither here nor there. This review is giving me that good ol' Anglo-Saxon conundrum of how to treat the text with relation to the scribe - is this review supposed to be about Klaeber's treatment of Beowulf, or about the text itself? Regardless, both are darn good. Some older editions are in dire need of updating but Klaeber's isn't necessarily among those ( ...more
Michael
Jan 12, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klaeber, the old pal of Robinson, is in the same school of traditionalist critics who use a heavy hand in glossing and commenting upon the poems. Overall, Klaeber's readings tend to be a bit more open and inviting to the outsider, making his work a tad more interactive than Robinson.

What garners this edition the five stars, though, are the other materials in this volume. This contains many other Old English fragments, including the great "Fight at Finnsburgh" (only "The Battle of Maldon" compare
Edward Richmond
This is one of two generally accepted scholarly editions of the original Old English text of Beowulf, the other being in the Anglo-Saxon Poetic Records editions by Krapp and Dobbie. I generally used the Klaeber edition, because it was conveniently sized for me to bring to lecture.

Overall, Klaeber's work is getting a little dated, but then again it has been in use as the dominant scholarly edition since 1922. That ought to tell you something about the quality of work—for general use, most academi
Kamal
Mar 17, 2016 Kamal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its age, this edition of the epic poem Beowulf is the best for scholarly work. Accept no substitutes.
Donna
One of the few epic stories I enjoy
Susan
I read the Anglo Saxon version in Freshman English, not happily.

A couple of years ago, I saw a dramatized version of 'Beowulf,' and thought afterward that if I had seen it before reading the work, the reading experience might have been more successful for me.

I decided to read it again, which I have started doing. I have chosen the illustrated edition of the Heaney translation. So far, so good.
Stephen Hebert
Jun 08, 2008 Stephen Hebert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Beowful and/or Anglo-Saxon.
Recommended to Stephen by: Prof. Ernest Kaulbach
Shelves: poetry
If you are looking for an original text of Beowulf (and the Fight at Finnsburgh) to translate, this is the one. Klaeber's edition is still quite useful (though showing some age). There's even an Anglo-Saxon glossary in the back, since Anglo-Saxon lexica can be such a pain.

Highly recommended to anyone interested in the foundations of English literature.
Ceridwen
Dec 15, 2007 Ceridwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Another rather good translation. There are many out there (Seamus Heaney's being the most prominent), and I would seriously recommend to anyone studying the subject to read several different interpretations, to get a comprehensive picture.
Rebecca
Oct 20, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I'll preface this by saying, "Yes, I'm a dork," but this book was fantastic. I loved the Beowulf story in high school, and took Old English during college, so was able to read and translate the poem from its original version. Amazing.
Gary
Jan 17, 2010 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woody Allen said that you should never take a class that requires you to read Beowulf. But I spent an entire semester in graduate school learning Old English, so it made sense to spend another semester translating Beowulf.
Neil
Feb 27, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beowulf
Doesn't contain all the extras that Klaeber's edition does and nowhere near as encyclopaedic as Chambers' two volume text and introduction, but there is something so nice about a compact edition of the Beowulf text.
Liz
Aug 16, 2010 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know why I didn't remember what this book was about when I read it in high school...because I didn't understand it this time through either. All those thys and thous make it a difficult read!
Ceridwen
Dec 15, 2007 Ceridwen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students of English Historical Linguistics
Shelves: i-own, for-class
This book contains no translation, only the original Old English text and a very good, comprehensive glossary. We used this edition as the basic workbook in my "Translating Beowulf"-seminar.
Jonathan Farley
Nov 02, 2014 Jonathan Farley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beowulf
The translator in this case is Louis J Rodrigues.

I am naturally biassed in favour of this book as the illustrator is my father.
Philip
Nov 13, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the translation/interpretation that most readers and English Literature scholars read in the 1900's. See Heany's translation...
Gwen Burrow
Feb 02, 2012 Gwen Burrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
The super glossary in the back (a great help in translating Beowulf) is enough reason to buy this fantastic, near century-old book.
Sandy Lender
Apr 23, 2009 Sandy Lender rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most excellent.
The Old English text is BEAUTIFUL...but maybe not for everyone.
A translated version might be better for casual reading!
Alia
Sep 20, 2011 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Beowulf in the original Old English. Reading/translating it is a great way to spend time at work during summer vacation!
Balthazar
Hwat! we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum...
Laurie
Dec 30, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Splendid.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Catherine Vidinha
Catherine Vidinha rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Kristin Romano
Kristin Romano marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Ali Athi Ullah
Ali Athi Ullah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Sophie VERStand
Sophie VERStand rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Yannis
Yannis rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Anglo Saxon Perio...: Frederick Klaeber's Beowulf 3rd and 4th edition 1 2 Jul 24, 2012 05:06AM
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • The Battle of Maldon
  • Anglo-Saxon Attitudes
  • Indo-European Poetry and Myth
  • The Evolution Of Medieval Thought
  • The Golden Legend
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown...