Start by marking “Anthony Perkins: Split Image” as Want to Read:
Anthony Perkins: Split Image

Anthony Perkins: Split Image

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Paramount groomed him to replace the late James Dean and become Hollywood’s hottest heartthrob. But his landmark performance as Norman Bates in Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho killed that—and spawned an image of Anthony Perkins that eerily paralleled his conflicted, fractured off-screen life.

Anthony Perkins: Split Image insightfully and comprehensively documents the life of this
Published May 1st 2006 by Advocate Books (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Anthony Perkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony Perkins

Gustavo Vazquez
Not bad, some interesting things here and there... but the author HATES Tony (and love the sexual life of the actor - altough many things seem to be too fantastic to be true!)

I must give one example: Tony has recorded 3 albums during his life - great albums, all of them (go check the reviews or listen to them yourself). But the writer gives only very brief comments about them, not caring about them, just as some passing thoughts. But on the 80's Tony did a live version of one of his most famous
Luke
This started off being a very informative book about the actors life...but then it slipped into a bunch of information connected by kiss and tell stories.

It starts off well, the information on Perkins childhood is very well researched but the further into the book you get, the more it seems like the author has some kind of agenda. I will agree with the other reviewer in the fact that it seems as if the writer HATES Perkins, every one of his roles that isn't 'Psycho' is lauded here as a failure,
Lara
Winecoff, you're going to have to work a lot harder than this to make me hate Tony.

I read this while couch-ridden thanks to a foot injury (I fell while mopping, my toe got caught in a crack in the floor, and my toe nail was torn out of my foot from the root. Let's just say I understand why it's used as a form of torture.) I have to second the other reviews here. While Winecoff obviously did a huge amount of research for this book, some of his sources are questionable at best. Are we really supp
Mary
In Split Image: The Life of Anthony Perkins (Dutton,$24.95, 482 pages) Charles Winecoff, a graduate of the UCLA film school, attempts to shed perspective on the real person rather than the public image the troubled actor contrived to satisfy both a homophobic society and a tyrannical entertainment industry. Like many before him and since, Perkins was a victim of Hollywood's infamous closet, compelled to be a romantic leading man while privately struggling with his homosexuality. Furthermore, he ...more
Eric Klee
I admit that I haven't read a lot of biographies, so I'm not sure if SPLIT IMAGE is how they typically are or not. It's a huge book/doorstop (almost 500 pages), but it's just fact after fact strung together. There's no real story to it. You don't get involved with the characters (in this case, Anthony Perkins). It just felt like I was reading a very long Wikipedia entry.

I can tell a lot of research went into creating this book. The author certainly did his homework, pulling together quotes from
Lizzie
Attempting a biography of someone who's known for witholding facts about himself and leading a double life is a challenge. Winecoff talked to something like 700 people, going back to Perkins' childhood and college days (surprise guest star: Mr Rogers. they went to school together). He does a pretty good job of showing what Perkins was like as a friend and fellow actor, though he never gets under his skin. I actually found this more satisfying than those biographies that purport to have the key t ...more
George Ilsley
It is always astonishing to realize how many crappy movies have been made.

This biography was somehow disappointing. Not as salacious as other reviewers here have promised, not that interesting or insightful. A lot of detail, not much overview. Mean at times, such as when Winecoff kept mentioning that Berry was not even considered for a role. First of all, he does not know everything producers had talked about, and second, just mean-spirited I thought to keep saying it.

Why do actors remain closet
Shana
I enjoyed this book a lot especially the start of the book. As it goes on, there is a lot of hate it seems. It seems that the author didn't like any of Tony's work after he had done Psycho.
Aric Cushing
There have been a few books written about Perkins. This is the best. Very well researched, with all the 'hidden gay side of Perkins' out (literally, ha ha), on the page.
Julie_ian_curtis
Much better than anthony perkins the life. Author was way harsh on Tony's singing - not much info given on it which I think is the authors opinion. Taking the s&m stuff with a grain of salt. Taub hunter fans - lots more taub here. Good things were said about daughter of darkness. The author seemed to dislike tony this was obvious in his writing.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Josh Latham
Josh Latham is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2015
Skgman
Skgman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jim Pennington
Jim Pennington marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Stephanie Rynne
Stephanie Rynne marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Cosmin
Cosmin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Linet Der-Yaghoobian
Linet Der-Yaghoobian marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Chico
Chico marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014