Start by marking “Pock's World” as Want to Read:
Pock's World

Pock's World

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews

Pock’s World, long settled by humankind, is accused of being infected by humanoid aliens. It has been quarantined and may have to be sterilized. Five people are chosen to go there and examine the evidence: saintly but ruthless Father Andre; Ratty Turnsole, a muckraking reporter ripe for romance; ambitious politician Athena Fimble; manipulative bureaucrat Millie Backet; and
Published November 1st 2010 by Hades Publications (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pock's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pock's World

A Cup of Normal by Devon MonkAll That Lives Must Die by Eric S. NylundThe Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia A. McKillipBlack Blade Blues by J.A. PittsThrough Stone and Sea by Barb Hendee
2011 Endeavour Award Submissions
41st out of 42 books — 1 voter
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinWords of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
Best Fantasy of the 2010s
278th out of 335 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris R.
On faith, I will grab a Duncan book, assured that I will enjoy it. I will buy them, back cover unread. This no longer happens with the expected regularity. And without swashbuckling adventure amazement, the treatment ladies get in Duncan's books is finally starting to get me down.

If you are an attractive female in a Duncan book, you can basically choose to be a good person; but one who is a sex reward for / submissive to a main male character, or an evil villain, using sex to tempt the main char
Marko
I must say I enjoyed this one more than I expected. The novel brought up interesting questions about human evolution and what it will mean if we tamper with our genetics in order to produce "better" humans. At what point would we lose our humanity and become something else?
Paul
This science fiction adventure story is set on a planet facing a dire future. As usual, nothing is as it appears.

Pock's World, long settled by humans, has been infected by humanoid aliens. STARS, the consortium that "runs" the star sector, takes this very seriously. Pock's has been quarantined, and may have to be sterilized, which would mean the murder of over 650 million inhabitants. In the past, STARS has done this to other planets.

A group of people are sent to Pock's to examine the evidence.
Criticalsock
If you've read Dave Duncan's book Hero! there will be many familiar elements in Pocks World. That's not a bad thing by any means and there are enough new things to keep anyone happy.

There is a relationship with an older man and a young woman which is a bit naughty, but I'm a bit hypersensitive to this since lending my sister Wyrms by Orson Scott Card and getting an ear bashing in return.

I was completely immersed in Pock's World by the end of the book and was sad when I turned the last page. Tho
David Marshall
This is a clever idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. It requires some patience to get through to the midsection where the more important themes start to emerge. As to the ending, it may appear to rely on coincidence, but the "result" does not actually require the act of faith. It's merely convenient that they occur simultaneously.

Ryan Scott
Didn't finish. I got about 40 percent done it, but I really was struggling to immerse myself in the world that Duncan was creating. Going to give this another try down the road because I'm a big fan. But it didn't grab me right away.
Angus
Dave Duncan almost never really disappoints, but this book is not one of his best. I liked it, but the ending left me disappointed because of the number of plot threads left handing unresolved.
Sean Randall
Another great offering from Duncan. More science fiction than fantasy, it works well as a standalone, has breathing, engageable characters; generally it's a worthwhile read all round.
Edwin Downward
An interesting study of who we are with a thought provoking ending.
Tom
Childhood's End, without the fun.
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Racquel Piperwell
Racquel Piperwell marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3) The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)