Start by marking “The Complete Fables” as Want to Read:
The Complete Fables

The Complete Fables

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  38 reviews
No Description Available
Published (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Fables

Arun Divakar
Throughout your childhood you would have heard the variants of these tales which give you those little nuggets of wisdom. The morals of these tales are what other authors try to explain through books that may be as big as 600 plus pages ! Aesop needs a few sentences to make some of the most profound observations on human nature. His characters are varied between almost every known man,beast,bird, tree & god of the Greek era.

These are immortal tales and will remain so for eons to come. The mo
Jesse
Schopenhauer once joked that a child of the Enlightenment would scoff at Aesop and say, "How irrational." What Schopenhauer missed in saying this is what a social advance, something he thought was impossible, such a reaction would really be. Nothing, as we know now, serves power quite like the de-humanization of those around you, but Schopenhauer, who was anti-human to the degree that he was anti-rational (he said, "life must be a mistake"), naturally found comfort in the reading of such stories ...more
Anand
Finally Finished All of the fables I think. I could not find the edition I have just read. But, I guess they are all the same. The one I read contained 405 stories and the last one was the hare and tortoise. I liked that set-up.

I have started reading aesop's fables long ago, never truly read all of them. Now I have. Even if I have to go back again read it again to truly remember each story this was a huge feet for me. I remember las year on this day october 18th I really started investing my tim
Vickii
Aesop’s complete compilation of vignettes is more or less a collection of ‘The Tortoise and the Hare’ tales. Full of great life lessons which are still relevant centuries on, each fable is accompanied by a sentence explaining the moral of the story, as well as footnotes detailing its historical relevance during the times of the Ancient Greeks.

This would be a great book for younger readers, full of mischievous animals and their honour to the Greek gods.
Nate
What makes this book for me, is not the fables themselves, but the appending notes and moral recap at the end of most fables that appear in my edition (Penguin Classics, 1998; translated and annotated by Robert and Olivia Temple).

The translator does quite a bit of bashing of other editions, but that's quite common with translators, since if you believed a superior edition existed, why would you bother authoring a new one.

What I particularly liked about the notes of this translator was the depth
Elizabeth Hernandez
It's hard to say I "really liked" a book of such simplicity and sometimes outdated views on life, but I did quite enjoy it. I enjoy anyone like Aesop and other authors who may have actually written these tales and are talented with word play. It was also like being told a quick fairy tale before bedtime. It's true that some of the moral and ethical points made by the tall tales were not always applicable to life today it was still interesting and enjoyable to imagine life, daily, political, etc, ...more
David
If I hadn't read all 358 fables back to back, I probably would have given this a higher rating. The translation is rich and the fables prove to be more interesting in their original versions than they are in the traditional Victorian lens. While I can't say I always agree with Aesop (he, along with his contemporaries, seem to reject the idea that people are capable of change), I do find him pretty consistently fascinating. The fables are very, very funny. Parents beware: You may assume these wou ...more
Andy
This little collection, bringing together the complete collection of fables has sat in the bathroom for most of the last year. Short and sweet, they're quite different to the moralistic, sugary Victorian tainted fables I grew up with as a child (I've never heard of 'The Camel who shat in the river' before, for example).

The intro from Robert Temple sets the historical scene, detailing the little we know of Aesop and the development of the fables, merging with those of other storytellers and tale
Riju Ganguly
Is there anybody who has NOT read these fables? If the answer is doubtful, then let me clarify the question further: has anybody ACTUALLY read ALL the Aesop's fables? I hadn't, until I got hold of this book. Unfortunately, as I found, most of the so-called unread fables were better that way (i.e. unread). And the overall qulaity of translation was also rather stilted (probably something to do with an overtly academic approach) that jarred esp. in comparison with the jaunty & illustration-fil ...more
j_ay
From a historical point, these are wonderful little nuggets. But either, in this edition, the translation is a bit rough or my sensibilities prefer a slightly more fleshed out tale (rather than a few sentences). The editors should also switch to using “BCE” and “CE”, and *never* mention any singular “god”, let alone one with a capitol letter; these tales PRE-DATED this invention.
There is even an editor’s note with one of the fables seemingly apologising that the tale did not originate in the bi
Steve Hemmeke
Offering proverbial wisdom in story form, Aesop wrote these stories in the sixth century before Christ. I was pleasantly surprised for the most part by how they promote personal virtue in relationships. Sometimes it's just a "scratch his back and he'll scratch yours," self-interest kind of wisdom. Or a description of how people prefer their own nation or master to other people. But it also promotes a common-grace sense of justice. Some classics that many people know, and also many unknown gems.
Bambi
I liked it but I might not read it again. 3.5 at least
Silvana
Dec 07, 2007 Silvana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: classics, own
One word can describe this book = WITTY.

I was lucky to find this book at QB's clearance sale *sobs* with 70% discount. Kinda hard to find, I must admit. Anyone can easily download the e-book at the http://www.gutenberg.org

Well, as one can expect from fables, this book full with advises, moral lessons and things like that. Still, from more than 300 stories, it was still exciting to read them all. Growing up does not mean you cease to love fables.
Inder
You know, I never met a work of classic ancient Greek literature I didn't like. Until I met Aesop. These are pointless little tales, many incomprehensible, most lacking a moral beyond "Don't be stupid." The good ones, like the boy who cried wolf, are already famous, and the rest are borderline unbearable. For the life of me, I cannot find any deeper meaning in most of these. They are just wasting my time, and I'm moving on.
Ian Danger
Note: this is not a book to be read through once, this lives on the shelf with the reference books. To be opened at least once a week and in times of need. Used both wisely and irresponsibly.

Although my one wish for the publication is the removal of the italicized meaning of the fables. I read the fist couple then read no more and let the fables talk for themselves
Craig
We have all heard some of these fables before and, at one time or another, we have all experienced the moral meaning of some of the fables - so when you discover that this is a collection of fables credited to a slave and story-teller believed to have lived between 620 and 560 BCE, then you really do have to wonder whether anything in the modern age is new.
Sevan
The notes of the translators are terrible and thoughtless!
Tanya
I read this as an ebook on my phone so I could sneak in a fable or two whenever I had an opportunity as I found that if I sat and read too many at once they lost all meaning.

Almost three months later spare pockets of time have finally added up to being able to tick the oldest book off the 1001 list! Yay!
Katie Grainger
Aesop's Fables are a charming collection of tales giving advice to all ages. They are often based around animals and despite the age of the fables they are still relevant to today's society. Teaching important life lessons they are a must read, charming and deeply interesting.
Jaime Contreras
I read this when I was first married. One, it was a library book and I had never read all of Aesop's Fables. It was enoyable. I saw a copy of it in the university library a few years ago and read through it again. The lessons here are timeless and so needed for today.
Dayna Smith
A classic collection of fables by the famous Greek slave and storyteller. Contains all the fables we remember and many we don't. A great book for children and adults alike; it makes us think about life and the lessons we need to learn to live it well.
Frightful_elk
Dark and ultimately amoral, there is no lesson to be learned in these original and un-embroidered fables. They are short and brutal, revealing a world very different to our own. I highly recommend this, it's short, easy and illuminating reading!
Akar
For some daily philosophy and bite sized stories, this has always been a favorite. Pick up the one by Penguin. It has all the correct ones and also a bit of back story on Aesop, his history, and also trivia on the stories. Great edition.
Starr Griggs
I didn't enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger. I am glad to have taken the time to read them all, but there were some that were pretty much the same and at times they all began to run together.
Elle
Dec 09, 2012 Elle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This book has a lot of simple bits of advice told through really great little fables. It seems in this day and age that most of these should be common sense but I think we can all learn a thing or two from it.
Joseph Costello
Not what might remember from school. The first ever complete translation of all the fables and there are plenty of shocks and surprises, not least in the amorality of supposed moral tales.
Agent_M
Our understanding of the present is not completed without an understanding of the past. The tales being told are universal and anyone, from any race or creed, can benefit from them.
Lynn
I found this book to be a nice translation of Aesop's Fables. The stories were clear and easily understood. I'm not the greatest fan of fables but they are a great way to learn lessons!
James
Currently reading 1 fable a day to all my colleagues at the start of work. Intersting, sometimes inspirational short stories to get one thinking.
Craig
Somewhat moral but mostly just reveals a dangerous world with witty comments about the follies of those frolicking and toiling about in it.
  • The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 3
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • Orestes
  • The Wonderful World of Oz: The Wizard of Oz / The Emerald City of Oz / Glinda of Oz
  • Prometheus Bound and Other Plays
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • That's That: A Memoir
  • Hippocratic Writings
  • Philoctetes
  • Haiku
  • America's Great Game: The CIA's Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
  • Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War
  • Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest
  • Theogony (Classical Library)
  • The Miser and Other Plays: A New Selection
  • Facing the Wave: A Journey in the Wake of the Tsunami
  • Novels: The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence (Library of America #30)
  • The Birds and Other Plays
Aesop (/ˈiːsɒp/ ee-sop; Ancient Greek: Αἴσωπος, Aisōpos, c. 620–564 BCE) was an Ancient Greek fabulist or story teller credited with a number of fables now collectively known as Aesop's Fables. Although his existence remains uncertain and (if they ever existed) no writings by him survive, numerous tales credited to him were gathered across the centuries and in many languages in a storytelling trad ...more
More about Aesop...
Aesop's Fables What The Fox Learnt: Four Fables from Aesop Lessons from the Lion, the Ox and their little friends (illustrated) (Four fables from Aesop) The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable The Boy Who Cried Wolf (Aesop's Fables)