Abominable

Abominable

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Nobody knows exactly what happened on the last ascent of Mallory and Irvine in 1924. No details have been passed down to us.
The heights of the tallest mountain have kept their secret.
Published October 28th 2010 by Ghostwriter Publications (first published October 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Abominable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abominable

Neal Hock
This past weekend I was looking for something quick and fun to read. Something of my choosing that I wanted to simply enjoy and not have to worry about writing a review for (and yes, this is a review, but one of my choice, not because I was asked to read the book) or proofing for errors. So as I was browsing Amazon to find something to fit the bill I came across William Meikle’s novelette, ABOMINABLE. After reading the description and glancing at the reviews, I quickly started to read it. And bo...more
Dylan
Is the mystery of that ill-fated final ascent by Mallory and Irvine finally revealed . . . ?

Abominable, in its title, leaves nothing to the imagination about what happens to the two climbers on that 1924 attempt to summit Everest, but the twists in this great little read are something you will not expect. How far did the two climbers get? Did they really survive? How much would you pay to find out the truth?

It's a short read, but a good one, and the way Meikle blends journal quotes with the pers...more
Kurt Russell
May 13, 2014 Kurt Russell rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for a quick historical fantasy read
This short story was kinda okay. While it had a nice style and keen sense of history, the story suffers from a paucity of monster and horror.

This historical fiction about Mallory's doomed Everest expedition has a nice format, told via a tale within a tale. The realistic details for the adventure are quite superb as various journals account for what really happened on the mountain.

However, the story teases any real excitement for its entire length, and when the big climax finally arrives, it is a...more
Cathy
The son and grandson of Sherpas, our hero is a little more enterprising. He'd much rather sell trinkets to tourists in the marketplace. He's about to make a killing with his dying father's gift - the journal, and possibly photos, from an ill-fated climb on Everest in 1924.
He's asking lots of money. It may be worth the price.
The title of this novella may be a hint. Very well-written. Held my interest.
Chris
Very short historical horror story about an alternative possibility for the demise of Mallory and Irvine, lost on Everest. It has always been an open speculation as to whether they, or either of them, reached the summit. Meikle's story presumes that they did---and then describes what they found there, or what found them....

Meikle is a good writer and everything he writes is fun to read.
Martin Belcher
Quite a fun very short story, partly historically based on the 1924 ascent of Mount Everest by Mallory and Irvine. Meikle cleverly plays with some ideas here and gives us an horrific alternative of what might have happened to the climbers when they come face to face with the terrifying Yeti. Brilliant, I loved it and its great for a very short read full of suspense!
Christopher Beck
William Meikle is a mighty fine writer and Abominable showcases his talents rather well. His prose is crisp and smooth, his character's real and their voices clear and distinct. From the get go he sucks you down into the pages and effortlessly takes you back and forth between the present and the past.
Ed Wyrd
Very enjoyable fictional account of George Mallory's 1924 attempt to climb Everest.
Tarl
Written in the style of the old gothic horrors, Meikle presents an interesting story about the Abominable Snowman on Everest.

The story itself is well written. The older style of writing is captured really well and lends itself heavily into making the story more realistic and believable. You get a feel for the characters, their hopes and dreams and what drives them. This helps push the story long easily and presents them in a very realistic manner. The setting is done well, and the trials of scal...more
Dave Pope
I personally am not a fan of these very short works offered for sale as they can't possibly espouse much more than an idea. You cannot develop characters or scenarios as a writer given 30 odd pages. This is entertaining for the short space of time that it takes to read it but that's all it is. It is an interesting take on the first Everest summit. To my mind - put something like this in a collection of short stories or novellas but don't try to use it as a 'stand alone'.
Chase Boehner
A fun What if? retelling of the Mallory and Irving Everest expedition. Short sweet and to the point. The author uses setting and viewpoing very effectively to weave an exciting alternate history tale.
Annie
Fantastic story, but WAAAY too short!
Michael Mauge
Michael Mauge marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sydney Vonesh
Sydney Vonesh marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Brittaney
Brittaney marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Mariasol
Mariasol marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with eighteen novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries. My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glory.

My ebooks a...more
More about William Meikle...
The Invasion The Hole Clockwork Dolls Crustaceans Broken Sigil