Start by marking “Abominable” as Want to Read:
Abominable

Abominable

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Nobody knows exactly what happened on the last ascent of Mallory and Irvine in 1924. No details have been passed down to us.
The heights of the tallest mountain have kept their secret.
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by Ghostwriter Publications (first published October 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Abominable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abominable

Women of Foxwick by Cherie ReichSpells by Rayne HallHaunted by Rayne HallCutlass by Rayne HallBites by Rayne Hall
Authors of the "Ten Tales" Fantasy & Horror Series
72nd out of 108 books — 8 voters
Meg by Steve AltenThe New Homeowner's Guide to House Spirits by Alexei Maxim RussellProgeny by Patrick C. GreeneCryptid Hunters by Roland SmithTentacles by Roland Smith
Cryptofiction
41st out of 47 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Neal Hock
This past weekend I was looking for something quick and fun to read. Something of my choosing that I wanted to simply enjoy and not have to worry about writing a review for (and yes, this is a review, but one of my choice, not because I was asked to read the book) or proofing for errors. So as I was browsing Amazon to find something to fit the bill I came across William Meikle’s novelette, ABOMINABLE. After reading the description and glancing at the reviews, I quickly started to read it. And bo ...more
Dylan
Is the mystery of that ill-fated final ascent by Mallory and Irvine finally revealed . . . ?

Abominable, in its title, leaves nothing to the imagination about what happens to the two climbers on that 1924 attempt to summit Everest, but the twists in this great little read are something you will not expect. How far did the two climbers get? Did they really survive? How much would you pay to find out the truth?

It's a short read, but a good one, and the way Meikle blends journal quotes with the pers
Cathy
The son and grandson of Sherpas, our hero is a little more enterprising. He'd much rather sell trinkets to tourists in the marketplace. He's about to make a killing with his dying father's gift - the journal, and possibly photos, from an ill-fated climb on Everest in 1924.
He's asking lots of money. It may be worth the price.
The title of this novella may be a hint. Very well-written. Held my interest.
Chris
Very short historical horror story about an alternative possibility for the demise of Mallory and Irvine, lost on Everest. It has always been an open speculation as to whether they, or either of them, reached the summit. Meikle's story presumes that they did---and then describes what they found there, or what found them....

Meikle is a good writer and everything he writes is fun to read.
Martin Belcher
Quite a fun very short story, partly historically based on the 1924 ascent of Mount Everest by Mallory and Irvine. Meikle cleverly plays with some ideas here and gives us an horrific alternative of what might have happened to the climbers when they come face to face with the terrifying Yeti. Brilliant, I loved it and its great for a very short read full of suspense!
Christopher Beck
William Meikle is a mighty fine writer and Abominable showcases his talents rather well. His prose is crisp and smooth, his character's real and their voices clear and distinct. From the get go he sucks you down into the pages and effortlessly takes you back and forth between the present and the past.
Ed Wyrd
Very enjoyable fictional account of George Mallory's 1924 attempt to climb Everest.
Tarl
Written in the style of the old gothic horrors, Meikle presents an interesting story about the Abominable Snowman on Everest.

The story itself is well written. The older style of writing is captured really well and lends itself heavily into making the story more realistic and believable. You get a feel for the characters, their hopes and dreams and what drives them. This helps push the story long easily and presents them in a very realistic manner. The setting is done well, and the trials of scal
Dave Pope
I personally am not a fan of these very short works offered for sale as they can't possibly espouse much more than an idea. You cannot develop characters or scenarios as a writer given 30 odd pages. This is entertaining for the short space of time that it takes to read it but that's all it is. It is an interesting take on the first Everest summit. To my mind - put something like this in a collection of short stories or novellas but don't try to use it as a 'stand alone'.
Lisa Cleveland
Not as Abominable as I was hoping it would be. I did like the alternative history aspect but I would have liked to see more horror. Still a good tale. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Dustin
This fun little story by William Meikle is quick but efficient little mountain horror tale. I'm staying off Everest! But check it out, it's a good little story.
Chase Boehner
A fun What if? retelling of the Mallory and Irving Everest expedition. Short sweet and to the point. The author uses setting and viewpoing very effectively to weave an exciting alternate history tale.
Annie
Fantastic story, but WAAAY too short!
Alissa Morris
Alissa Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Ekel Adolf
Ekel Adolf marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Brigitte McKenna
Brigitte McKenna marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Lindsay Klotz
Lindsay Klotz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Linda White
Linda White marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Dan Shalinsky
Dan Shalinsky marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Troy Palmer
Troy Palmer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
A Chaos Fairy
A Chaos Fairy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with twenty novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries. My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glory.

My ebooks are
More about William Meikle...
The Invasion The Hole Clockwork Dolls The Valley Island Life