Call Me Elizabeth

Call Me Elizabeth

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Dawn Annandale is bright, witty, and well educated. But when her marriage began to fall apart, she had to face a seemingly insurmountable pile of debts on her own. Determined that her children would not suffer because of their parents' mistakes, and with no family to turn to for help, she searched desperately for a way to make some money, and fast. And made the decision to...more
Paperback
Published April 7th 2005 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Elizabeth

I was given this book to read by a prostitute, a madam for whom I worked as a receptionist. It was an engaging story, and easy to read, but it just doesn't feel right, it feels like a fairy tale. The real world of prostitution isn't this easy. I find this book a little dangerous, it gives the impression that all punters are good looking, sexy, live in nice houses, pay well and pay up without trouble. The reality of prostitution is just not like that. Like the film "Pretty Woman", this book does...more
Jessica
WIfe, Mother, Escort, and such a Mary-Sue. So not a true story by the way it was written.

1 star for decent sentence structure that you just didn't get in 50 Shades, but otherwise what seems to be an equally unrealistic story.

I would of liked to hear more about Paul the husband who only seemed to sit in front of the tv and drink beer, when he wasn't at work. Some small insight into his mind would have fleshed out the family situation more. Some mention of her siblings once they were grown up wou...more
Cecily
I am giving this four stars because I liked it enough to finish it in one sitting. For the "true" story part - I will be shelving it under contemporary fiction...
Sherry Cogburn
Oohhh! She's bad....... It is amazing how we humans justify our bad behavior.
Anna
Loved the book, could not put it down.
Adrian Lee
Phew, a heavy read indeed. A story about a mother who would do her best (for me, probably the best that I have ever seen) to make sure her children would be take care of. A story about how a woman got through her journey through broken marriages, shattered family and a quest of finding true love.

Prostitution
Being a hooker is a despicable job? After all it's just a job who satisfies the needs of lonely men and the sex is made upon two consensual adults? Do people aware that there are many mothers...more
Laura Ellison
I find it hard to review these type of books without succumbing to clichéd observations. However, this memoir in particular has been written with many clichéd descriptions, so it is hard to write it any other way!

Dawn is a hard working married woman with half a dozen children, all privately educated, and has a beautiful home. After running into a devastating financial situation, Dawn decides to turn to the oldest profession in the book, without her husbands knowledge. Her journey keeping up thi...more
This was a really quick read about a woman who becomes an escort to support her six children the best way she knows how. After getting way too far in over her head in debt, "Elizabeth" is determined to guarantee her children a great lifestyle and to maintain stability in her home. Although some may disagree with her decision to take up the world's oldest profession, she pulls through and does what she needs to do to support her family and keep her home. "Elizabeth" almost hits rock bottom before...more
Jenny-Lee
Ok so the writing is poor - that is the smallest issue I had with this book. And ok so a mother finds herself in dire circumstances and has to resort to prostitution to make ends meat for her family- or in Annandale's world, the six children's private education may be compromised and there may not have been veal on the table every tuesday (I marginally exaggerate on the second point). This wasn't my biggest issue either. HOWEVER (and its a big however)my big issue was that I don't buy a word of...more
Lynsey
'Children going without the bare essentials' it says on the back of the book; one of the reasons that this woman turned to prostitution. I don't think that steadfastly refusing to take your 6 children out of private education quite counts.
Still, I admire her determination & work ethic, and obviously the details of some of her clients were quite titillating!!
Although this was an easy read - I got through it in less than a day - the writing style was quite wooden & staid.
How did she mana...more
Gina Gibson
read this over a weekend.. a simple story of motherhood and prostitution-compelling all the same. Holes in this memoir and the Author's credibility create more fiction than fact.
JLW Lopez
The story is somehow interesting because Elizabeth sees things differently as most people see it. In my view, she is a lost soul since her childhood. The moral values we all learned from home was not instilled in her properly. The love for her kids she kept telling us in the book was part of her defense mechanism. Her kids will surely be her saviour.
It is an okey book to take to the beach. It has some insights on the dangers and unpleasantness of being a call girl.
Cass Rigby
WOW!!!! started this book at 730pm last night and just completed it today 237pm. At times I really struggled to believe that she lived this double life. I barely have enough time for 2 kids and a part time job let alone 6 kids and 2 jobs. If this is all completely true then I take my hat off to her, what an amazing dedicated mother. It has actually made me re-evaluate how much time I am giving to my kids and I am going to fit a few more hugs into their day also.
Kirstie
My mother in law loaned me this book - it is very racy!!

I found it very hard to feel sorry for the woman in the book - although she felt sorry enough for herself in an unhappy marriage with a useless husband. He is that useless that she becomes an escort - how she did this whilst telling her hubby she was in an office job, lord only knows!

A ver interesting read though - I just couldnt 'like' the author (it is a true story)
Kirsty
If read with an open mind, this is a very interesting read. Dawn was a high class prostitute (if you could call a prostitute high class). She takes us into the world she worked in, and explains the rules and dangerous situations that this world entails. She also tells how it made her feel and why she did it. I read this on recommendation from a friend, and really enjoyed it, however it hasn't changed my views on prostitution.
Katie Grainger
This was a really quick read but interesting, I have to say at some points I thought that the lengths Elizabeth went to without cutting costs was unbelievable. In the end however she did what she had to and kept her children safe and happy, with no one else to help her. I admire the lengths she went to. Interesting book, I enjoyed looking into this window of her life. An informative and interesting read.
Sian
Brilliant book, you have to admire what she did to look after her children.
Katrin
Nov 14, 2007 Katrin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
very interesting book. it's supposed to be a true story. She sort of guides you into the world of prostitutes, of course it's the high end, the expensive kind. Nevertheless. it's still a dangerous profession. There are rules and ways to minimize danger. She tells us why she needs to prostitute. You need to keep an open mind when you read this book. Then you can enjoy it.
Esther
Excellent book...not fabulously written but clear and good insight into her life. She did what she had to do to support 6 kids with little support from her husband. Good on her I say...don't judge until you've got some understanding, the pain she suffered is apparent throughout as is her strength and determination.....
Helen Apocalypse
I found this book irksome. I hated the self-congratulatory way the author kept going on about the virtues of an expensive private education and the whole book just felt so joyless and pessimistic.
Sarah Goode
Read it and hated it. I really didn't like her attitude. Essentials are not private education and £50 a pair kids shoes. I definitely couldn't empathise with her.
Katrina
Beautifully written book about a mother with a penchant for debt turned into a call girl. I spent days thinking about it. How instructive.
Helen
If this was a true story I honestly did not find it terribly believable. Read on someone else's recommendation. Sigh!
Liz
Reading this changed my perception of escorts. Thought the book well written and told the story well.
Xejx
Didn't like this very much. Found myself frustated at the main character most of the time
Jo
Amazing what some women will put themselves through to get the bills paid.
Adriana
Sep 23, 2009 Adriana is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just cannot stop, love it and adore her for what she has been through.
Sara
This one was a bit strange. I picked it up on my way back from South Africa.
Claire Wilson
A good interesting true story. It must have been I've read it twice now!
Linda
Can't believe what this woman did to keep her home life the same.
  • Breadfruit (Materena Mahi, #1)
  • My Animals and Other Family
  • Just A Boy: The True Story of A Stolen Childhood
  • Daughter Of China
  • Rosario+Vampire: Season II, Vol. 11 (Rosario+Vampire: Season II, #11)
  • Jantsen's Gift: A True Story of Grief, Rescue, and Grace
  • Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • Strip City: A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America