Start by marking “My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie, #1)

My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  7,878 ratings  ·  1,287 reviews
Angel Crawford is a loser.

Living with her alcoholic deadbeat dad in the swamps of southern Louisiana, she's a high school dropout with a pill habit and a criminal record who's been fired from more crap jobs than she can count. Now on probation for a felony, it seems that Angel will never pull herself out of the downward spiral her life has taken.

That is, until the day she
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 5th 2011 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about My Life as a White Trash Zombie, please sign up.

Journie From what I understand, the tv series due to come out later this month, iZombie, isn't really based on this book (though it does sound like a similar…moreFrom what I understand, the tv series due to come out later this month, iZombie, isn't really based on this book (though it does sound like a similar plot line). It's actually based off of a comic book series of the same name. A lot of changes have been made from what I have read, so it won't be exact, but that's what the show is based from(less)
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
48th out of 722 books — 3,124 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
25th out of 1,306 books — 3,708 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark

Buddyread with my main squeeze: Karly (Click to read her review) <--it's amazing.

This book was driving in circles.

She turns into a zombie. She looks for brains. She finds and eats brains. She stores some brains and they get inevitably destroyed by her alcoholic father. She look for more brains…WHY CAN’T PEOPLE DIE FASTER!...Oh look, the bitch is...still looking for brains. Go figure.

Then a miraculous thing happens during the last 20% of the story. It’s like the book stopped looking questionab
Kevin Hearne
I was pretty much grinning like an idiot through this whole thing. It's just a fabulous, "delicious" situation to read about, the craving for brains when you know eating brains is wrong. Angel Crawford is a a delightful character and I hope we see more of her; I'd like to see her grow from here and confront several plot threads that were left dangling in a tantalizing fashion. Much of the humor isn't the wisecracking sort but the situational sort, and kudos to Diana for pulling it off so well. G ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Buddy-read with the oh-so-awesome Kat!

r, is for Rowland

3 Stars

Angel Crawford is a loser, a high school drop-out with a pill problem. When Angel wakes up in the hospital, after overdosing, with flashes of memories that can’t be true and big gaps in what actually happened the night before, things get strange. Suddenly Angel finds herself with a cooler of energy drinks from a stranger and a new job, and a whole lot of questions…

My Life as a White Trash Zombie is a novel served in courses, incons
Joe Valdez
I was in the market for a nice and easy read during my intermission for Robert McCammon's 950-page apocalyptic epic Swan Song, but like Tina Turner says in her song, "We never do things nice and easy." My pick was Diana Rowland's 2011 novel My Life As a White Trash Zombie, the first entry in what has become a popular series for the author. I can see why. This is a professionally written, emotionally satisfying zombie tale carried away with a light touch that emphasizes character over splatter.

A
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
It's Zombiefest July with my freaky girls in the MacHalo group!

Angel Crawford is a loser and not the sharpest crayon in the box. She lives in a dump with her white trash dad. There's a layer of beer cans on their driveway dating back years. No one does the dishes until there aren't any clean ones left. Angel drinks and does drugs and has an on/off boyfriend who lives in a trailer and runs a garage out of an old shed outside. She can hold a job down for about 3 months. But one day, she wakes up i
Heidi
Five stars: Immediately purchase and devour this book. It is awesome! A whole new take on zombies. Fresh and hysterically funny. Don't miss this one!
What I loved about this book:
*Angel, she rocks! There are so many aspects of her character that I found captivating. First is her transformation. Angel starts the story as trailer trash. She is plagued with an alcohol and pill problem, she cannot hold down a job, she has an abusive, alcoholic father with whom she lives in a run down dump of a house
Anelis
Sep 22, 2013 Anelis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie fans, paranormal fans, anyone who wants a light but exciting mystery

This was my first Diana Rowland book, so I had no expectations whatsoever. I'm not going to describe the plot nor write spoilers.

description

Before reading the book I LOVED it's cover. In fact I picked it up solely because of it's cool pink zombie cover. I mean look at it! It's pink, with a beautiful woman, piercings, blood, don't-give-a-damn look...what's not to like?
But I must admit it, again because of the cover I didn't expect it to be any good. I was just in the mood for a bad paranormal romance novel
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I went back and forth from 3 stars to 4 stars. I'm actually settling on 3.5 stars. The middle was really slow & I was bored. However, the ending really made up for it. I think book 2 is going to rock though and I really love Angel and someone else that is revealed at the very end of the book (yeah, I'm so excited for book 2 to see what happens with this character).

As for the boredom, I think Rowland was just trying to establish Angel's identity as a zombie. I do think it was necessary as Ang
Carol.
Mar 16, 2014 Carol. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie fans

Braaaains. Hungry for braaaaains. Brains NOW!

At least, that's the call of the American Zombie, genus and species unknown (human? bacteria? virus?) Rowland does something unusual in My Life by creating a protagonist who undergoes a traumatic experience and gradually realizes she's one of the living dead. Even though she feels almost normal. Except for those pesky cravings. And that body odor. A fan of the genre in general, I couldn't resist giving this a try after seeing how many of my friends e
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Angel Crawford is 21 years old, addicted to pills and in an on-again off-again relationship with another addict, Randy. After the death of her insane and abusive mother, she was left to live with her alcoholic and no less abusive father. She’s a high school dropout, can’t keep any job for more than a few weeks and she’s even on probation for buying a stolen car.

At the beginning of My Life as a White Trash Zombie, Angel wakes up in the hospital with no recollection of the events that occurred th
MISS VAIN
"It reminds me of an old joke: What did the Zombie say to the whore?"
I looked at him blankly. "Um....what?"
He winked. "Keep the tip."

Okay so you will only understand this joke if you read the book. There's your incentive ;)

I LOVE the fact that Diana Rowland chose a self loathing, drug addict, unemployed high school dropout as the protagonist in My Life As a White Trash Zombie.I guess you could say I have a soft spot in my heart for an abused underdog. Something about these characters
Cathryn
This was a delightful little surprise. I interrupted my Kate Daniels reread for this and I don't regret it. I loved the genuine, gradual growth that the MC Angel shows in the book. I liked the mystery. This might be a little gory for some but after reading about rebirth in Kin I think could handle almost anything. This was extremely tame in comparison.

Looking forward to the next one in the series.
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Angel is 100% trailer trash, her father is an alcoholic who alternates between two states: asleep & drunk. Angel’s name doesn’t suit her; she’s a drug addict who pops pills. She had a dead-end on again/off again boyfriend who isn’t any much better. She dropped out of high school years ago & has a criminal record. Can you tell Angel has everything going for her?

Angel wakes up in the ER after an overdose, but she swears she was in a horrible car crash..yet there’s not a mark on her. To add
Bonnie

Angel Crawford was your typical white trash chick with a pill popping addiction living with her alcoholic dad in Lousiana. That is, until she woke up in the hospital after being in a car accident with no memory of what had happened to her. She finds a note addressed to her telling her about a job that she is required to take or she’ll end up dead… thinking this is a note from her parole officer and that she’s being threatened with jail she opts to take the job instead. The job turns out
Christy

Why did I wait so long to read this? I’ve been totally missing out. There’s a major plus side that came out of waiting though. That’s right, I now have several to read at my leisure. High five, bitches!

Okay, so technically I didn’t read it. Nope. I listened to My Life as a White Trash Zombie on audio, and it was fantastic! I’m just now really getting into audiobooks on a more regularly, and I’m pretty damn picky when it comes to narrators. So, I was beyond delighted to discover Allison McLemore
Ian
Angel lives in a hovel with her dead-beat and abusive father. She's an alcoholic, pill popping, pot smoking woman with a conviction, an equally dead-beat boyfriend, and she can't even hang on to a dead end job.

Then she dies, is turned into a zombie, and lands a job at the morgue. Things are starting to look up for her...except she's one of the undead, and she has insatiable cravings for brains.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie is a bit of a romp. It's a fun book which glides along effortlessly.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
I really loved the concept behind this book, about an underground world of zombies that somehow find brains to sustain them. It takes a simple concept and slowly evolves over the course of the book in how brains are obtained, what happens when zombies eat them and how it affects them.

Angel Crawford is so self deprecating, honest with herself on her short comings and somehow being turned into a zombie has turned her life around. She learns a lot about her limits and what she's capable of as well
Cyna
AKLNDFLKND HOLY FUCKING GOD YOU GUYS, THIS WAS AMAZING. NO SERIOUSLY, I'M NOT EVEN BEING IRONIC RIGHT NOW THIS IS LEGIT EXCITE ENTHUSIASTIC CAPS TYPING. Seriously, I had begun to despair of ever finding a decent fucking Urban Fantasy book that didn't make me want to brick someone's face in, and thanks completely to Shiori's prodding, I got to read one. I GOT TO READ ONE. IT'S BEEN SO LONG. OH GOD I HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT LOVE WAS LIKE...

awe

My Life as a White Trash Zombie puts the genre to shame. It p
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
"You can't stop me," he said, doing his best to curl his lip into a proud sneer. "I'll finish him, then finish you."

"Oh yeah?" I said. Then I couldn't resist. I took a deep breath and yelled: "Zombie Super Powers, Activate!"

First things first - Daniel Dos Santos is absolutely brilliant! This isn't the only bad-ass book cover that his talented mind has created, but it's certainly my favorite.

If you haven't seen his previous work ... although I'm sure you have, but just didn't realize it ... then
Michael
Angel Crawford is a self-professed loser.

A high school drop-out, she staggers from dead-end-job to dead-end-job. She regularly drowns her sorrows at the local dive bar with her on-again, off-again boyfriend who repairs cars and while he lives in a trailer, he's got the best in high electronics.

All that changes one night when Angel wakes up in a hospital after what she believes was a severe bender. She can't recall what happened, but a mysterious note tells her that a job as the driver for the l
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.5
*Genre* Mystery/Suspense/Romance/Zombies

*Review*

Angel Crawford is a 21 year old abuser of drugs and alcohol, as well as a high school dropout who suddenly finds that she is waking up in a hospital with no memories of how she got there or what happened to her. She is told by a nurse that she overdosed on drugs. She may also have been a witness to a murder that happened in the same area in which she was found naked.

The truth, however, is much different than the actual facts present the
11811 (Eleven)
This was pretty clever. I'm adding book 2 to the list. It was kinda like a Dexter novel, in that there are tons of crime scenes but our protagonist isn't a cop. I loved the clean-my-kitchen analogy but I'm too lazy to type it all out so if you want that spoiler, ya gotta read/listen to the book.
Samantha
***BUDDY READ with the always lively and never dull MacHalo crew***

Because, you know, BRAAAAINSSSS

It wasn't as if I set out to be a loser. I didn't wake up every morning and say, "Hey, how can I screw my life up today?" But the universe sure seemed to be rigged against me, and most of the time it didn't seem to matter how hard I tried since I was obviously never going to catch a break.

This is Angel's life before someone decides to give her a second chance.

Angel has no delusions of grandeur, she
Kimba
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to My Life as a White Trash Zombie

Angela Crawford-She is a twenty-something high school dropout and druggie from the wrong side of the tracks and completely hilarious and lovable. Yep, even as a zombie you cannot help loving this chick. She is snarky, smart and doing this zombie thing by the seat of her pants.
Southern Louisiana. The setting is perfect for this zombie tale, and Rowland takes advantage of the redneck stereotype to add humor as we disco
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

This title has been on my 'to read' list for eons. First published in 2011 this reprint coincides with the launch of CW's new television series, iZombie. There is some debate as to the source of producer, Rob Thomas's inspiration - there are vague similarities between the show and this novel, but Thomas claims the show is a loose adaption of the Vertigo comic book series of the same name (beginning with Dead to the World).

My Life as a White Trash Zombie is the first book in a series featuring An
Yes. You saw those 4 stars. Yes I gave a book about a white trash zombie 4 stars. I have my reasons. Let me start by saying I have a strong dislike for the color pink. This is one of my favorite book covers. Ever. Behind that awesome cover is a pretty cool story.

We have Angel, the white trash. She is the most REAL character I have read in a long time. I was able to connect to my own inner white trash. Seriously I think there is a little white trash in everyone. We just choose to ignore it, and
Mary
I've seen this book around for a while and knew that I had to get to it eventually. You see, I am obsessed with zombie stories. And I grew up in SC. Now, now. I'm not saying everyone from SC is white trash. Quite the contrary. I've had multiple conversations with friends about the differences between high falutin, country, good ol' boy, redneck and white trash (aka trailer trash). And, truth be told, in many cases I'd rather hang out with someone considered white trash than someone high falutin. ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
3 1/2 stars

I have wanted to read this book ever since I first saw the fabulous cover on someone’s blog. It’s really eye catching, isn't it? Talk about a lucky author. And best of all, it fits its main character Angel perfectly. Well, I finally made time to read it and, uh, I’m glad I did but I didn't expect it to take nearly a month to get through.

The book starts out when Angel wakes up in the hospital with no recollection of how she ended up there. She's told she overdosed and she figures it c
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
The cover art and title sucked me in but Angel keep me listening. The moment she said

But then again, I was about as far from touchy-feely as you could get. Unless you’re fucking me, don’t put your hands on me.

I knew we were soul mates. Angel is a great character, she is full of snark and dieing really was the best thing that happened to her.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie is my 1st book to read where the main character is a zombie. And like many creatures, each author puts their own spin on
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • Cthulhurotica
  • Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1)
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Nightshifted (Edie Spence, #1)
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)
  • Happy Hour of the Damned (Amanda Feral, #1)
  • Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Dust (Dust, #1)
  • The Infects
852078
Diana Rowland worked as a bartender, a blackjack dealer, a pit boss, a street cop, a detective, a computer forensics specialist, a crime scene investigator, and a morgue assistant, which means that she's seen a lot of weird crap. She won the marksmanship award in her Police Academy class, has a black belt in Hapkido, has handled numerous dead bodies in various states of decomposition, and can't ro ...more
More about Diana Rowland...

White Trash Zombie (5 books)
  • Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2)
  • White Trash Zombie Apocalypse (White Trash Zombie, #3)
  • How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back (White Trash Zombie, #4)
  • White Trash Zombie Gone Wild (White Trash Zombie #5)
Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2) Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3) Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4) Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2)

“It reminds me of an old joke: What did the Zombie say to the whore?"
I looked at him blankly. "Um....what?"
He winked. "Keep the tip.”
27 likes
“Still, waking up this early was just wrong. “Why can’t people be reasonable and only die after eleven A.M.?” I whined.” 11 likes