The Smaller Majority

The Smaller Majority

4.77 of 5 stars 4.77  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews

Smaller, on average, than a human finger, creatures climbing, scampering, and flying out of sight make up 99 percent of all animal life visible to the naked eye. This is the "smaller majority" that we meet eye-to-eye, often for the first time and certainly as never before, in Piotr Naskrecki's spectacular book. A large-format volume of over 400 exquisite, full-color photo

Published October 15th 2005 by Belknap Press of Harvard University Press (first published 2005)

Gwen
The text, the photographs, what's not to enjoy about The Smaller Majority. That is unless you don't like all things small (frogs, lizards, insects). The Smaller Majority tells the backgrounds of small things, most people overlook in their days. Although, insects etc. are small, their population makes up the majority of living things on earth. Did you know that a swarm of locusts can consist of more locusts than there are people in the world?

Piotr Naskrecki tells how he fell in love with all thin...more
Mike
Great photography of often overlooked, sometimes feared & despised critters. The verbal material that accompanies the photos is informative, accurate and not overly technical. This would be a great book for a high school or college level zoology student, to complement and add interest to the material covered in the more technical (and boring) official class textbook. Anyone just interested in learning more about animals would probably enjoy it. At the end is a brief section describing his ma...more
Duncan Robertson
A wonderful coffee-table book featuring wonderful macro photography. As a macro photographer myself, it was especially interesting to learn of the ingenious equipment he uses to capture these extraordinary images. A big inspiration on the whole, well worth getting!
Abby
Jun 02, 2012 Abby added it
I got this because of the pictures. Pictures were good. Read a little, but mostly didn't bother.

I'm beginning to be totally fascinated by creepy-crawlies, who have these complex behaviors and interactions that so few people care to examine...
Eric
If you want to be inspired by the weirdness of little bizarre and awesome creatures, this is the book to get. From insects to lizards to i don't know what, the photography is simply stunning.
Terry Thormin
A wonderful book full of great photos and great information. A must read for anyone interested in the smaller creatures that occupy this world with us
Joe
Amazing pictures of obscure animals + insightful story = win.

Also introduced me to the magnificent coconut crab.
Sam
A beautiful book with stunning photographs of all the animals most people ignore or find disgusting. I love it.
Johannah
Beautiful detailed pictures of insects we sometimes over look or don't see at all.
Cassandralynn
I've got to meet this guy! Combining two of my loves: bugs and photography!
Last Ranger
Last Ranger marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Tim Poston
Tim Poston marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Jitaliano
Jitaliano marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Nello
Nello added it
Oct 15, 2013
Ratis Tisra
Ratis Tisra marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Lucas
Lucas marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
vaishnavi
vaishnavi marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Daniel Cushing
Daniel Cushing marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine Systematics And Host Plant Affiliations Of Hummingbird Flower Mites Of The Genera Tropicoseius Baker & Yunker And Rhinoseius Baker & Yunker (Acari: Mesostigmata: Ascidae) A Window on Eternity: A Biologist's Walk Through Gorongosa National Park Field Notes on Science and Nature A Rapid Biological Assessment of the Konashen Community Owned Conservation Area, Southern Guyana: RAP Bulletin of Biological Assesesment #51