Power and Terror: The West in the Middle East Since 9

Power and Terror: The West in the Middle East Since 9

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  29 reviews

In this, his first new book since the international bestseller 9-11, Noam Chomsky presents his latest thinking on terrorism and U.S. foreign policy, focusing on alternatives to the current course of armed provocation.

Noam Chomsky is the author of, among many other books, Profit over People, and the international anti-war bestseller 9-11, which has sold over 300,000 copies

Paperback
Published April 1st 2011 by Pluto (first published 2003)

Elliot
I was in 3rd grade on September 11, 2001, and I recall my confusion about what the Twin Towers even were during my ride to school (the atrocity happened around 45 minutes before school started), then the moment of silent prayer the principal led over the PA, then my frustration the next day when news programming replaced the morning episode of Pokemon. Later, I remember my friend telling me how much he hated Osama Bin Laden during Sunday school. It probably wasn't until I entered high school tha...more
Ryan
Dale
"If you want to end terrorism, stop participating in it". That is the central message of Power and Terror, a set of talks and interviews given by Noam Chomsky following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

2700 civilians killed; a terrible crime, indefensible. This we can all agree on. 2700 - approximately the number of civilians killed by the US military in a typical week during the Viet Nam war. Or the number of Kurd civilians killed in a week by the Turkish government with the blessing...more
Karlo Mikhail
Chomsky still chocks up the now typical indignation against the 9-11 terror attacks, the social injustices that had a hand in fueling the attacks, and the U.S. state's own terrorist response as exemplified by the U.S. "War on Terror." Chomsky also unveiled the myriad ways in which the corporate media supported the U.S. war of aggression against Afghanistan by propagating baseless details that justify the American imperialist project.

However, I cannot help but frown at some of the outlandish noti...more
Josepha
A typical Chomsky book that compares non-state terrorism (Al Qaida) with state terrorism (coups in Guatamala, war in Vietnam). Although Chomsky always seems to be generally caring about the suffering of all peoples his refusal, more than 21 years after the Islamic revolution in Iran, to acknowledge the repression, torture, murder, unlawful trials, unjust imprisonment and rape in Iran under the ayatollah and the mullahs shows he picks his dictatorships as he pleases. I guess one peoples suffering...more
Jonathan
I learned from reading this book that there are more atrocities that have been committed by the government/policy makers and executors of the United States of America than I realized before. Haiti, El Salvador, Guatemala, Cuba, Argentina, Germany, Japan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Grenada, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq... I don't believe every word I read in a book just because it's a book, but I know from other sources facts about U.S. atrocities. It still surprises me to learn new bits.
Nicole
A must for those wishing to familiarize themselves with Chomsky, though die-hards will probably find this work too breezy and light. Contains interview and speech excerpts from the socio-linguist cum political activist, especially as they pertain to the role rhetoric, language, and definition play in igniting terrorism/counter-terorism, and their collateral fires. Pieces are aptly selected, and, on the whole, the collection well-edited.
Anie
"Poder e Terror" da Editorial Inquérito (2003)
Ismael Galvan
I read Chomsky's "9-11" and found it very informative so it was only natural that I'd pick up the follow up. You don't have to read them in any particular order but I do see them as a set. It's interesting how people label Chomsky a radical when he follows every rule of making a rational argument. If you're concerned about the War on Terror and need some clarification, then you'll want to read this.
Raghav Bansal
Splendid work by Noam Chomsky:
9-11 incidence has revealed the real face of US and its atrocities over the rest of the world.According to Chomsky,THE US practice terrorism under the name of war against terrorism.And what is terrorist attack and who is terrorist depends upon who and where it took place.
If you want to you the real face of global terrorism must go for it
C. Scott
Chomsky has an amazing ability to see the big picture. Compared to others, the big picture he sees is like a remastered 72mm technicolor print of Lawrence of Arabia at a theater... and everybody else is midnight movies on a 12 inch black and white TV with no rabbit ears.
Jessica
Very enlightening and thought provoking, but not very even handed and left me wondering a bit at how much of Chomsky's statements should be taken at face value. For what it was though ( a short compilation of interviews and speeches ) I found it worth reading.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Poco da dire. Cambiano gli scenari e la situazione internazionale, ma non i comportamenti dei governi.
In questo libro Chomsky analizza cosa sia il terrorismo, e come lo si puó fermare (smettendo di commetterlo)
Sondra
He goes on a bit here. I would have preferred a written analysis of the problem rather than interview excerpts. Mr. Chomsky discusses the roots of terror but fails to propose a solution.
Joshua
Aug 23, 2007 Joshua rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chomsky fans
post 9-11 chomsky is interesting. we live in a different world today, a state of fear for sure. if you like chomsky and current events then this is a good read.
Scott
CHomsky is amazing, even if he is rather radical. He does found his arguments on convincing fact. I recommend it to many who are strong republicans and love Glenn Beck!
Boycop
An interesting read for a non-political person like me who is not that familiar with political books.
Silverblue
At least all is not lost! The world may have lost the late E. Said but there's Chomsky to tell it like it is.
Nils Franco
Would recommend if you are or someone you know is American. Chomsky covers it all.
Rich
Old interviews and talks, circa 2002. Worth it for $3.
Freakball
Jan 21, 2009 Freakball is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
were gonna free the fuck outta your country
Julie
Not bad, the man knows his stuff.
Shari
9-11 by Noam Chomsky (2001)
Joz Hunter
Typical Chomsky brilliance.
Zeus Polak
Noam Chomsky for president!
Alfons
Its a perspective. Took me a while to put it into perspective :)
lp
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Four: Out of the Ashes
  • Socialism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
  • Race, Class, and Gender: An Anthology
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order

“That comes to about one hundred million people in India alone from 1947 to 1980. But we don’t call that a crime of democratic capitalism. If we were to carry out that calculation throughout the world… I wont even talk about it. But Sen is correct; they’re not intended, just like the Chinese famine wasn’t intended. But they are ideological and institutional crimes, and capitalist democracy and its advocates are responsible for them, in whatever sense supporters of so-called Communism are responsible for the Chinese famine. We don’t have the entire responsibility, but certainly a large part of it” 3 likes