Start by marking “Onnellinen prinssi ja muita tarinoita” as Want to Read:
Onnellinen prinssi ja muita tarinoita

Onnellinen prinssi ja muita tarinoita

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  7,609 ratings  ·  192 reviews

The master of wit and irony

Published here alongside their evocative original illustrations, these fairy tales, as Oscar Wilde himself explained, were written "partly for children, and partly for those who have kept the childlike faculties of wonder and joy."

Hardcover, 2nd edition, 168 pages
Published 2007 by Kustannusosakeyhtiö Teos (first published May 1st 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Onnellinen prinssi ja muita tarinoita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Onnellinen prinssi ja muita tarinoita

Ruth
I came upon it in my grandmother's library when I was a kid. Read it furtively, convinced it was dangerous stuff. Read it compulsively, swept away.
Katie
Dec 27, 2013 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Wastrel
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A really lovely collection of fairy tales from Oscar Wilde. I had had no idea that Wilde ever wrote these until a few months ago, but I'm really glad to have gotten the chance to read them. A few of them have really imprinted themselves on my mind, and I'll find myself thinking of them unexpectedly.

It's a very sad collection of stories. Nearly all of them contain examples of kindness and generosity that goes unacknowledged (or, on occasion, examples of kindness and generosity that are unceremon...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Richer, more sophisticated, and more valuable than Andersen's stories, but having some things in common with them, such as a pervasive theme of humility and sacrifice as service to God. I read some of these as a child, but re-reading them as an adult is a whole 'nother experience, and one I recommend. This edition would be the one I'd recommend, as the illustrations are indeed very pretty and the font is clear, the pages heavy, etc. Otoh, I'm sure you can read the tales for free from Project Gut...more
Belle
I remember when I was a kid The Happy Prince was my least favourite fairy tale. It is just so bleak and depressing. This audiobook provided my first experience of Oscar Wilde's other fairy tales and yep, bleak and depressing is the theme for all of them. I don't think there's one with a happy ending. It got a bit much by the end of the book, frankly. Of course, the writing is exquisite and the pairings of some of the narrators - most especially Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley and Jeremy Irons - was di...more
David Edmonds
I'll admit up front that I've never read anything by Oscar Wilde before now, and I think that I'm sorry that I've waited this long. I thoroughly enjoyed his fairy tales, and even found myself underlining multiple passages in the book for future reference. I felt that his insight into life and love and all the joy and troubles that come with both was quite remarkable and still very relevant for our time, even though these stories were written over 100 years ago. I'm sure that if I were more verse...more
Doug
What I learned:
I have been in a fit of deliberation as to how I would rate these tales. I am ashamed to say that I first wanted to give this five stars for the mere magnificence of the author. I say ashamed because ever since the preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray, I have shared a belief that, although an artist cannot ever create a piece of art without putting his or her self into it, each piece of art can and should only ever be criticized for the ideas it has been loaned. I have thankfully...more
Heidi
Aug 28, 2007 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sensitive souls
It's sometimes hard to read--you can almost see Oscar Wilde mentally beating himself up while he's writing some of these stories, particularly when he writes about beauty. He wrote some of these while in prison, after all. But they're beautiful stories, and my favorite has always been The Happy Prince. Never fails to make me cry.
Tina
I read this book because it was recommended by a friend with wonderful taste. I definitely loved the stories, somehow Wilde's style lends itself to this type of story where the symbolism and descriptions have to carry the meaning behind the tales. They were definitely interesting stories that sometimes made me wonder if I was taking them too seriously (I can imagine Wilde sitting back and smirking to himself as he wrote them. . . )

Anyway, one story about an obnoxious rocket bragging to all the o...more
PurplyCookie
This collection comprises both the Happy Prince compilation and the House of Pomegranates compilation of Oscar Wilde's short stories. I suppose this wonderful collection has been buried so long because of Wilde's sexual orientation. That's so sad because it means that millions of children growing up over the past several decades have missed experiencing these tales. I'm glad to see that the collection is back in print and have finally found it in my local bookstore.

The "Complete Fairy Tales of O...more
Fairynee
Buku ini terdiri dari sembilan cerita yang berjudul:

Pangeran yang selalu Bahagia
Burung layang-layang itu terbang kembali ke Pangeran yang selalu Bahagia itu, dan melaporkan apa yang telah dikerjakannya. “Aneh sekali,” katanya, “rasanya udara lebih hangat sekarang, meskipun dingin sekali.”
“Karena kau telah berbuat baik,” kata Pangeran. Dan burung layang-layang kecil itu termenung.(Hal.9)

Raksasa yang Egois
Raksasa itu akhirnya mengerti, tawa ceria kanak-kanaklah yang memperindah kebunnya yang luas....more
Kelly
“Oscar Wilde offended Victorian society by producing works of social mockery, aside from living a scandalous life. Although Wilde's fairy tales were intended for a young audience, they contain social overtones that most children would not understand, but that are meant to project a higher social ethic upon later generations. The criticism of the Victorian society in Wilde's fairy tales is apparent in the parallels between the situations he imagines and real-life situations, and also in the high...more
Sher
This is a precious collection of some of OW's best stories. I certainly could not call myself a fan of Wilde's political views, but the man sure could write!! I only knew two of these stories before reading the book. "The Happy Prince" is a tender story of love, devotion and loyalty. I remember reading it, or having it read to me, when I was very young. And one of my all time favorites stories, "The Selfish Giant" just doesn't get old. I get the chills every time I read it. Now I have several ot...more
Ryan
I suppose that Wilde's tales are "fairy" tales. Animals talk, there are mermaids and princesses, and magical things happen. In Wilde's tales, however, the animals are often sarcastically silly (in a way that doesn't easily translate to disney-fication, I hope), and they mock the behaviors of humans. The mermaids cause men to give up their souls, the princesses break the hearts of those who love them and the magical is really more miraculous. The themes are more clearly religious - or perhaps I m...more
Elena
I might be very boring and predictable, but hey, it's obvious: I mainly remember "The Happy Prince" and "The Selfish Giant" among all the stories. Which is why I didn't click all the 5 stars, I guess (shame on me). I must be honest and say that even nowadays - and long gone are the childhood days - I end up crying whenever I read these two stories. Wilde was a great character as well as a writer, so modern they couldn't understand him at his times, but here he seems to be sitting back, relax, ta...more
Lenny Husen
Oh, Oscar Wilde. These stories are heartbreaking, every single one pretty much, but beyond marvelous. Eerie, haunting, and so unique. I read this in the 1990's I think, but had a record of an abridged version of the Happy Prince that I listened to over and over as a child. That is my favorite of these tales.
Any fan of OW needs to own this, and I am a big fan.
Charles Mendez
I think Wilde's fairy tales had a three-fold agenda: to revisit the beautiful, playlike, and innocent imagination of a child, to expose the redemption of the cross uniquely and sentimentally, and to slander upper-class society. He's successful on all three accounts. A book you can gather an audience by reading aloud.
Roxane
Short stories for children - though I would recommend for older children. May have to borrow someone's children to try one or two out on...would be interesting to see how today's children interpret these stories (I myself am still struggling with "The Nightingale and the Rose").
Holly
I love Oscar Wilde. I love the stories he tells and the way he tells them. This version of his fairy tales in particular I am completely in love with because the illustrations are so beautiful. And I am pretty much 100% comfortable saying that Wilde would love them, too.
Angela
"The Selfish Giant" and "The Happiest Prince" are some of the best stories ever written. Poor, tortured Oscar Wilde--how did he turn out such beautiful stuff??? A beautiful soul in a tormented body perhaps. I love these stories--everyone should read them multiple times.
Petra
I enjoyed these tales. Each is a credit to the wonderful and dark mind of Oscar Wilde. Although each tale is "typical" in the fairy tale style, Oscar Wilde has added his particular style and flair to them. Slightly off the norm, with a twist of dark.
Emma
Love love love! Very, very depressing though. It you want a cute story, don't turn to this. The cutest sounding one in the book is "The Nightingale and the Rose", and guess what: The Nightingale ends up dieing in the end. Such good stories, but be prepared.
Gale
Entertaining Literary Gems for Social Reform

This version comprises all 9 of Wilde's fairy tales, which were
originally published as two separate anthologies: THE HAPPY PRINCE (5 tales) and THE HOUSE OF POMEGRANATES (4). At least three of these tales have appeared as individual storybooks with colorful illustrations: The Happy Prince, The Selfish Giant and The Star Child. The stories in the first collection are shorter and more likely meant--on the surface at least--for younger readers.

The gifted...more
Lisa
A bit more preachy and simplistic than his other work. More interesting if you put it into context of society at the time and Wilde as a person.
La
Best fairy tales ever...just perfect and thoughtful and glorious and irreverent and sad and clever.
C
My very favorite is "The Happy Prince". Such love and compassion!
Tracey
Fluffy Mr Wilde very nicely written but sugar sweet.
Lynda
Fairytales, but certainly not for children.
Deny
Оскар Уайлд е писател-гигант, който едва ли се нуждае от моите звездички и аматьорски коментари. Те са просто смешни, но ще ги напиша за тези, които биха отминали приказките му като четиво, което са надраснали или като нещо, което той е писал през пръсти за децата си. Не знам дали е така, но уверявам ви, че нито една от тях не е по-маловажна или лековата от "Портретът на Дориан Грей".
Приказките на Оскар Уайлд са съвършени. От една страна съжалявам, че не съм ги чела като дете, защото щях да ги...more
This collection contains the two collections of fairy tales that Wilde published in his lifetime: the Happy Prince and Other Stories, and A House of Pomegranates.
It seems to me so far that the first collection is clearly superior to the second, the luminous truth and sharp observation draws tears to the eyes of the reader of the first collection, whilst the second seems to wander vaguely towards meaning which is often curtailed in its relevance by the extremity of the characters depicted.
I thin...more
Kurt
Wilde is a brilliant writer and this book is no exception. There's a bit too much Catholicism in this book for my taste, but it doesn't really distract from the stories at all. Every story is sad, and beware reading this to kids until you've read through it first. It doesn't shy away from killing off the most sympathetic character, or having them suffer trials and tribulations without any happy ending. These stories are tender and touching paeans to love and sacrifice written with such poignancy...more
  • The Happy Prince
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • English Fairy Tales
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Fairy Tales
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Victorian Fairy Tale Book (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost

“Love is not fashionable anymore; the poets have killed it.” 44 likes