Start by marking “A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)

A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,369 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Emma Garrett serves her boarders at Hill House with homespun wisdom and absolute faith in God. When tragedy strikes close to home is Emma wise enough to save Hill House?
Published August 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Hearth in Candlewood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hearth in Candlewood

Margaret Metz
This was a difficult book for me to rate. On the one hand I thought the writer did an excellent job creating a story world and making me believe it was true. Not a whole lot happened there though. This wasn't the sort of story with a lot of tension or conflict. Only near the very end do you start to see the beginnings of something ... and then it just cuts off abruptly with no real closure at all. That's a pet peeve of mine. I know there are more books, but when you leave more questions than ans ...more
Debbie
Jul 13, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, christian
"A Hearth in Candlewood" is a Christian historical novel set in the 1840s in a small canal town in New York. It's the first novel in the series, but while I was reading it I wondered if it was the 9th or 10th in the series since there were so many interesting stories briefly referred to as back story.

I really enjoyed the characters and setting. I found the vivid details about the time and setting to be interesting and they brought the story alive in my imagination. The characters acted in reali
Anne Hawn Smith
This delightful book is reminiscent of the Miss Read series and the Mitford books. It is a simple inspiring tale of Widow Emma who runs a Victorian boarding house in the canal town of Candlewood. The story is set in the 1840's and has an interesting collection of visitors and permanent residents who people Emma's life. There is Emma's mother-in-law, who has been with Emma for thirty years, 2 16 year old girls who help about the house, a retired minister and the elderly Aunt Frances. As Emma stru ...more
Joleen
Emma Garrett, a widow, owned a boarding house on a hill where people could come and stay for short periods of time, or live much longer. Her mother-in-law lived and worked there, and an aging pastor who she took in. The story centers on a new boarder who was also a widow who decided to run away from her two sons who were making her life difficult with their disagreements. She just wanted peace, and she had none with her sons. The rest of the book was about Emma trying to help her, but also figur ...more
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Hearth in Candlewood was my first exposure to Delia Parr. She strikes me as highly character-centric, which I prefer. Historically set in the canal-building era prior to the railway boon, Candlewood is a small town in the midst of transition. The characters also are in a similar state of transition, from the retired pastor and widows who live at Hill House to the young ladies who work there. In the center of it all is Emma, proprietress of the boarding house known as Hill House for its expansi ...more
Penny
Nov 01, 2012 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
A very easy read about a widow living in Candlewood in the 1800s. She has a very deep faith and tries to live by the holy book. Not usually my type of thing, but very comforting to read about a thoroughly nice person, who tries to give of her best to everyone she comes into contact with. Very enjoyable!
Loraine
Aug 20, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the characters in this book and how they interconnected especially those staying at High Hill. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series to see how things turn out for the main characters.
Kim Berger
Feb 03, 2014 Kim Berger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. That family isn't always blood. Faith based .
Darlene Wilson
Nice light Christian reading. Set in 1841 -- small town New York. As the jacket describes them -- quaint, colorful characters. Thanks, Christi, for a good read Christmas gift!
Liane
May 02, 2012 Liane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy read once I got used to the style of writing. Quite a lot of typos, but didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. Some comical moments, and some well written descriptive passages.
Levina  C.
*Review of the entire series*

When I first downloaded A Hearth in Candlewood off of Amazon.com's Whispernet for free, I wasn't expecting to like it in the slightest. And I certainly wasn't expecting to be reading the whole series.

The Candlewood series is composed of three books. Each one of them has a story arc that begins and ends within the novel, and they're all about Emma Garrett (all those double consonants!), proprietess of a boardinghouse called Hill House, and her struggles with the resi
Beth Yeary
A nice reread. A good cozy to zone out with on the couch on rainy or snowy afternoon.
patricia
Sep 20, 2016 patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delia Parr tell the story of Emma who wishes to follow God's will for her. Emma is a very generous soul and takes in people a minister after his stroke, a widow whose sons are arguing. They along with her mother-in-law live in her inn. Emma only wishes to help. In A Hearth in Candlewood you will meet memorable characters, meet a woman in business in 1841. A nice read.
Kay Bolton
Apr 23, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
I should point out that I mistakenly went for this one as I'd thought that it was an Historical Romance, and in point of fact it turns out to be classified as Fiction, Christian - although it is Historical.

It is not something I would have willingly gone for, and whilst apart from the odd spelling/grammatical and typographical error there was nothing wrong with it ... I found it to be way too slow. Actually, the Christian content is minimal, and I wouldn't let that put you off.

The plot was thin o
Julie Morales
Jan 05, 2017 Julie Morales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WAITING ON GOD OR CHOOSING OUR OWN PATH

Emma and her mother-in-law run a bed and breakfast of sorts. She purchased the house after her husband died and her boys moved out on their own. Running a business was nothing new to Emma though. The town's general store had been in her family for years. She was used to fixing problems of her own and helping others fix theirs, but she was about to find herself in the middle of another family's dispute and legal problems of her own that were going to prove t
Pam
Jul 10, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Hearth in Candlewood is book in the Candlewood trilogy. It is by Delia Parr. Candlewood is a small town in New York that handles tourists. Emma Garrett has a small bed and breakfast called Hill House Inn. She had purchased it and refurnished it making it into a wonderful place. However, she was a pushover for people in need so had several people living there who were not paying guests. In spite of this, she makes a tolerable living. If things change, she might do better.
When Widow Leonard sho
Liza
Mar 07, 2012 Liza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Christy
Oct 02, 2014 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I have always enjoyed historical reads about quaint little villages and their townspeople. This book missed the warmth and hearth-like feel that I was seeking. Emma is well-to-do and her kindness is just lying on the surface. This is not a love story which I was really glad about but the people staying in the boarding house and the many folks living in town held no interesting and eccentric qualities what-so-ever. It made for some boring reading. I did enjoy Delia Parr's descriptions of the boar ...more
Lyndi
Dec 31, 2015 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope
For the first two thirds of this book I was impressed that the writing was "not as terrible" as most Christian fiction. But eventually the convoluted plot twists and the repetition of annoying phrases got to me. Characters "gritted" (with no direct object) as in "Diane gritted as she worked the dough." After I read the phrase "she cocked her brow" THIRTEEN times, and that so-and-so "grinned" 36 times, I, too, gritted.

It was in poor taste to make one of the "funny" plotlines about a man who urina
Carol Mcgrath
Jul 27, 2016 Carol Mcgrath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice story.

Imagine opening your back door on a rainy evening only to find elderly widow Leonard standing on your doorstep telling you she ran away from home. Widow Garrett couldn't turn her away so she stayed. Her two sons were arguing so she ran away from home. This story involves three women, widow Garrett, Mother Garrett and Widow Leonard, along with a reverend and his dog, butter. Widow Garrett may lose her home, which is a bed and breakfast type of place. The same people come back ev
Karen
Dec 10, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An antebellum village in New York State serves as the backdrop of Delia Parr's Candlewood Trilogy. At the center of this rich ensemble novel is Emma Garrett, a 51-year-old boardinghouse keeper who ministers to her guests' spiritual as well as physical needs. Her home and good works are put in danger, though, when the ownership of her boardinghouse is called in question.
Another free download on Kindle, this book was interesting because of the time period it was set in, you can see the end of the
Jolie
May 14, 2012 Jolie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment Widow Leonard shows up at Hill House to Emma's dealing with her guests/her mother in law to the ending, this book was an easy read. Emma asks God for guidance and support during the good times and the bad times. Her faith is the backbone of the book.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Shelfari and Goodreads. While the book was a great read, I felt that the ending was a little too open. Emma keep Hill House? Will Widow Leonard's sons be able to work together on the farm? Will th
Rachel Merriman
The storyline was interesting. At the very beginning, I was having trouble picturing the setting, or even where the story was supposed to be set. A couple chapters in, the author does fill in the details, such as what the candlewood canal actually was. One of the conflicts in the book was not resolved at the end and certain described characters never made an appearance, but now I see that this is the first book in a series.

I noticed a spelling error in the book- the word 'receipt' was substitut
Cher Duffin
Feb 09, 2013 Cher Duffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book today in Kindle format.

It's a character centered story with not a lot of actual moving plot pieces. It's a slow moving plot, a 'mild' plot, although it's thoughtfully written and full of actual 'characters' that are engaging - which is what I enjoyed most about it.

It takes place when the Erie Canal was built around 1830/40's (my guess). It was worth the read, but it's one you'll meander through as opposed to a page-turner you can't put down.

Overall, I found it enjoyable
Kathie
Jan 09, 2012 Kathie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Classified as a Christian historical novel. After Emma Garrett is widowed she sells the general store she owned and managed and opens a boarding house. Much is written about her guests, their families, and the people she employs at the home. There are a few other townspeople mentioned but the author spends few words developing them. At the conclusion I realized that few of the issues she was facing were resolved. Once I realized this is the first book in a series I understood the author was leav ...more
Emma
Aug 20, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
(Rather Ironically) Fans of Cranford or Lark Rise to Candleford will really like this book. It is very female centric, with menfolk being able support to the plucky females of the town of Candlewood.

I really liked all the main characters and the setting of a boarding house run by a "good business woman". The book ended before the main "problem" of the narrative was solved (barely addressed in fact, but this hardly seems to matter as Emma is a lovely person to just hang around with!!)

I would defi
Bonnigene Cloud
Jan 21, 2012 Bonnigene Cloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this Delia Parr book about a woman's adventures with her boarding house on the candlewood cannal. The characters in this novel are true to life and show the reader how good Christian women can make a difference when up agains incredible obstacles.

The book makes the reader want to learn more about Emma Garrett and her friends as they move into the future of the Hill House. It leaves questions with the reader in the end about what Emma, and her friends will endure as she strives to
Cayla
Feb 08, 2016 Cayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying, that I appreciated the fact that the book is faith-based and very clean. But aside from that, I found this book lacking in terms of depth and character development. The dialogue is okay, but it's nothing spectacular. The story line itself isn't very strong which is why the plot isn't that great. I think the potential is there, but it needs some more meat to strengthen the story line.
phyllis
Jan 02, 2016 phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hill House Bed and Breakfast

Knocking at the door, Emma found eighty year old Widow Leonard. She has run away from home and wants to work at Emma's hill house. After admiring the delicate lace work that Widow Leonard has done, she immediately hires her. Emma works hard at her b+b, but it is her staff and guests that she relishes. A good book about a widow who tries to help everyone and depends on God's will to help her with all the problems that happen.
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • Long Time Coming
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • O Little Town
  • Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, #1)
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
  • Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1)
  • Finders Keepers
  • A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers, #1)
  • One Imperfect Christmas
Delia is the author of fifteen historical novels who now devotes herself to writing inspirational historical romance. The mother of three grown children, she is a full-time high school teacher in southern New Jersey who spends her summers writing on Anna Maria Island in Florida.
More about Delia Parr...

Candlewood Trilogy (3 books)
  • Refining Emma (Candlewood Trilogy, #2)
  • Where Love Dwells (Candlewood Trilogy, #3)

“Em-ma! Yoo-hoo!” 0 likes
“Don't give up on the Lord. Have faith and be open to His will, not yours. If there's something you're supposed to do or something you're supposed to know, you will."
Moved”