Start by marking “A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)

A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,115 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Emma Garrett serves her boarders at Hill House with homespun wisdom and absolute faith in God. When tragedy strikes close to home is Emma wise enough to save Hill House?
Published August 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Hearth in Candlewood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hearth in Candlewood

Margaret Metz
This was a difficult book for me to rate. On the one hand I thought the writer did an excellent job creating a story world and making me believe it was true. Not a whole lot happened there though. This wasn't the sort of story with a lot of tension or conflict. Only near the very end do you start to see the beginnings of something ... and then it just cuts off abruptly with no real closure at all. That's a pet peeve of mine. I know there are more books, but when you leave more questions than ans ...more
Debbie
Jul 13, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, christian
"A Hearth in Candlewood" is a Christian historical novel set in the 1840s in a small canal town in New York. It's the first novel in the series, but while I was reading it I wondered if it was the 9th or 10th in the series since there were so many interesting stories briefly referred to as back story.

I really enjoyed the characters and setting. I found the vivid details about the time and setting to be interesting and they brought the story alive in my imagination. The characters acted in reali
Anne Hawn Smith
This delightful book is reminiscent of the Miss Read series and the Mitford books. It is a simple inspiring tale of Widow Emma who runs a Victorian boarding house in the canal town of Candlewood. The story is set in the 1840's and has an interesting collection of visitors and permanent residents who people Emma's life. There is Emma's mother-in-law, who has been with Emma for thirty years, 2 16 year old girls who help about the house, a retired minister and the elderly Aunt Frances. As Emma stru ...more
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Hearth in Candlewood was my first exposure to Delia Parr. She strikes me as highly character-centric, which I prefer. Historically set in the canal-building era prior to the railway boon, Candlewood is a small town in the midst of transition. The characters also are in a similar state of transition, from the retired pastor and widows who live at Hill House to the young ladies who work there. In the center of it all is Emma, proprietress of the boarding house known as Hill House for its expansi ...more
Hope
For the first two thirds of this book I was impressed that the writing was "not as terrible" as most Christian fiction. But eventually the convoluted plot twists and the repetition of annoying phrases got to me. Characters "gritted" (with no direct object) as in "Diane gritted as she worked the dough." After I read the phrase "she cocked her brow" THIRTEEN times, and that so-and-so "grinned" 36 times, I, too, gritted.

It was in poor taste to make one of the "funny" plotlines about a man who urina
Penny
Mar 05, 2016 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
A very easy read about a widow living in Candlewood in the 1800s. She has a very deep faith and tries to live by the holy book. Not usually my type of thing, but very comforting to read about a thoroughly nice person, who tries to give of her best to everyone she comes into contact with. Very enjoyable!
Loraine
I really enjoyed the characters in this book and how they interconnected especially those staying at High Hill. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series to see how things turn out for the main characters.
Liane
May 02, 2012 Liane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy read once I got used to the style of writing. Quite a lot of typos, but didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. Some comical moments, and some well written descriptive passages.
Darlene Wilson
Nice light Christian reading. Set in 1841 -- small town New York. As the jacket describes them -- quaint, colorful characters. Thanks, Christi, for a good read Christmas gift!
Kim Berger
May 22, 2014 Kim Berger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. That family isn't always blood. Faith based .
Levina  C.
*Review of the entire series*

When I first downloaded A Hearth in Candlewood off of Amazon.com's Whispernet for free, I wasn't expecting to like it in the slightest. And I certainly wasn't expecting to be reading the whole series.

The Candlewood series is composed of three books. Each one of them has a story arc that begins and ends within the novel, and they're all about Emma Garrett (all those double consonants!), proprietess of a boardinghouse called Hill House, and her struggles with the resi
Kay Bolton
Apr 23, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
I should point out that I mistakenly went for this one as I'd thought that it was an Historical Romance, and in point of fact it turns out to be classified as Fiction, Christian - although it is Historical.

It is not something I would have willingly gone for, and whilst apart from the odd spelling/grammatical and typographical error there was nothing wrong with it ... I found it to be way too slow. Actually, the Christian content is minimal, and I wouldn't let that put you off.

The plot was thin o
phyllis
Jan 02, 2016 phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hill House Bed and Breakfast

Knocking at the door, Emma found eighty year old Widow Leonard. She has run away from home and wants to work at Emma's hill house. After admiring the delicate lace work that Widow Leonard has done, she immediately hires her. Emma works hard at her b+b, but it is her staff and guests that she relishes. A good book about a widow who tries to help everyone and depends on God's will to help her with all the problems that happen.
Lyndi
Mar 30, 2016 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy
Jan 06, 2015 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I have always enjoyed historical reads about quaint little villages and their townspeople. This book missed the warmth and hearth-like feel that I was seeking. Emma is well-to-do and her kindness is just lying on the surface. This is not a love story which I was really glad about but the people staying in the boarding house and the many folks living in town held no interesting and eccentric qualities what-so-ever. It made for some boring reading. I did enjoy Delia Parr's descriptions of the boar ...more
Liza
Feb 08, 2016 Liza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
deeann linford
A lite look at social life in a canal town in the 1830's.

Widow Emma runs a boarding house in a New York canal town. She collects boarders, friends and special helpers. Emma has a soft heart for those down on their luck and an inside track for help with her special prayer connection upstairs. Her life is always busy and never boring. An interesting look into the 1830's.
Jan Mcleod
A clean, interesting story about a widow named Emma who runs a boarding house in 1840. The characters are well-developed and realistic. The story centers around those who live in the boarding house permanently and the guests that come and go.
Although it is not an action packed story , it is entertaining and gives good insight into the customs and ways of a by-gone era.
I really would like to rate it 3 1/2.
elaine m. suda
Jan 04, 2016 elaine m. suda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happenings at Hill House

Thank you for the heartwarming story about Emma and her wonderful family at Hill House. I loved that Emma kept her eyes and her heart on God and looked to Him for guidance. I enjoyed all the different characters in the story and how they looked out for each other. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Tonya
Feb 02, 2016 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book. It is a great story about a woman who uses God's wisdom. However, I listened to most of the book on my Kindle. The technology on this book is very bad! Every time someone was being quoted, it would say "apostrophe!" That really took away from a good story.
Barbara
Jan 01, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pray and believe God will answer

Wonderful book filled with women with strong faith and powerful prayer lives. Such fun to see the story unfold and watch God change lives. Great book.
Sandy Bronson
Jan 06, 2016 Sandy Bronson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming book with humor and interesting characters. Great character development as the story plot meanders like a gentle brook through a time of historic change along the Erie Canal.
Miriam
Mar 09, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong women

The women of Hill House are strong,independent and God-fearing. The plot is enjoyable, with just enough left unsettled to make the next book in the series welcome.
shirlene brown
Jan 27, 2016 shirlene brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The life of. The inn

I like the story and the life of the people who lived in the inn. The problem they had and the understanding they had for each and the love.
larry brashear
Jan 07, 2016 larry brashear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful Story of Faith!

I do believe this is the best book i have read for some time. It is inspiring, encouraging and has helped my faith in the living Go.
Jolie
May 16, 2012 Jolie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment Widow Leonard shows up at Hill House to Emma's dealing with her guests/her mother in law to the ending, this book was an easy read. Emma asks God for guidance and support during the good times and the bad times. Her faith is the backbone of the book.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Shelfari and Goodreads. While the book was a great read, I felt that the ending was a little too open. Emma keep Hill House? Will Widow Leonard's sons be able to work together on the farm? Will th
Sheila Holmes
May 23, 2016 Sheila Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. The characters were just that... characters! It told a story of a bygone era, in all its innocence. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Karen
Dec 10, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An antebellum village in New York State serves as the backdrop of Delia Parr's Candlewood Trilogy. At the center of this rich ensemble novel is Emma Garrett, a 51-year-old boardinghouse keeper who ministers to her guests' spiritual as well as physical needs. Her home and good works are put in danger, though, when the ownership of her boardinghouse is called in question.
Another free download on Kindle, this book was interesting because of the time period it was set in, you can see the end of the
Barbara
Feb 16, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this period book and the adventures of the widows during a time when women weren't allowed to be entrepreneurs. A good read.
Loveeac
Feb 04, 2016 Loveeac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. it's one of those stories that almost feel like a leisurely stroll in the park. laid back, pleasant, contemplative
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • Long Time Coming
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers, #1)
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • Allerednic: A Regency Cinderella Tale--In Reverse (Heart of Warwickshire, #1)
  • Reinventing Rachel
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
Delia is the author of fifteen historical novels who now devotes herself to writing inspirational historical romance. The mother of three grown children, she is a full-time high school teacher in southern New Jersey who spends her summers writing on Anna Maria Island in Florida.
More about Delia Parr...

Candlewood Trilogy (3 books)
  • Refining Emma (Candlewood Trilogy, #2)
  • Where Love Dwells (Candlewood Trilogy, #3)

“Don't give up on the Lord. Have faith and be open to His will, not yours. If there's something you're supposed to do or something you're supposed to know, you will."
Moved”
0 likes
“Prayers are always answered. Whether we like the answers or even recognize them is altogether another matter. Sounds” 0 likes