Start by marking “Bones Under the Beach Hut (Fethering, #12)” as Want to Read:
Bones Under the Beach Hut (Fethering, #12)

Bones Under the Beach Hut (Fethering Mystery #12)

The affluent seaside resort of Smalting is unaccustomed to crime. So when human remains are found beneath the floorboards of one of its beach huts, the community is awash with suspicion and fear.

Amateur sleuths Carole Seddon and best friend Jude are drawn into the mystery, and their suspicion quickly falls on attractive Philly Rose, a young Londoner newly arrived in the a
Published March 1st 2011 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Bones Under the Beach Hut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones Under the Beach Hut

Jean
Bones Under the Beach Hut is the twelfth mystery novel in the “Fethering” series by Simon Brett. This series of cosy mysteries is very English in feel, and very lightweight - rather like an updated version of Agatha Christie, but with added welcome humour.

As with all the previous novels in the series, it features the odd pairing of Carole Seddon and Jude, two middle-aged women who find themselves to be neighbours, and develop a very unlikely friendship. It is this spark, the chalk and cheese eff
Michael Gallagher
Oct 25, 2015 Michael Gallagher rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
It’s a very light read, but I loved it. Simon Brett makes the process of writing look effortless.

Amateur sleuth Carole Seddon takes over the use of a beach hut on snooty Smalting beach, only to set in motion a grisly discovery: there are human remains buried beneath it. She and her new age friend Jude investigate, uncovering everybody’s dirty little secrets in the process.

In my favourite part of the book, Carole discovers that one of her neighbours is secretly a writer—well, not quite a writer b
Ellen
Jun 19, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-sleuth, brett
"Bones Under the Beach Hut" by Simon Brett.

Carole is planning on spending a lovely week with her grand-daughter, Lily, and daughter-in-law, Gaby, in Fathering. This must be a special week of fun and relaxation for all of them especially Lily.

Carole finds that a young lady, Philly rose, had rented a beach hut with her boyfriend. apparently Philly's boyfriend, Mark, has up and walked out and Philly is left with bills to pay and little income.
Soon it's decided that if Carole could rent the beach h
Dave Sheriton
Sep 03, 2011 Dave Sheriton rated it really liked it
The latest, I think, in the Fethering Mysteries. And this one is as good as always. By no means a highbrow crime thriller but an enjoyable read. I would perhaps describe it as "The Famous Five for adults" without hopefully insulting Simon Brett. It is the very "Englishness" of this seaside location that summons up images of kneeling on the beach making sandcastles, crabbing and having a "99". Even with murder and arson as the background it is all very sedate.

This story sees Carole caught up in a
John Lee
May 12, 2011 John Lee rated it it was amazing
It was like finding a favourite old pullover, finding this latest in the Feathering Series. You just fit back into it so easily. The fleeting references to the old charactors make you feel at home straightaway and I suppose the sales of Chilean Chardonnay will show another surge.
If you enjoyed the others, this will be another for your to read shelf.
Lynda
Nov 14, 2016 Lynda rated it liked it
Your average Who Done It..book.
I enjoyed the calm and posh seaside town with its beach huts.
But would two middle age women really try to solve a crime in this day and age?
Seems such a dangerous thing to do.
Did not guess the truth till the end so.....a good read..
Kim
May 04, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-2016
Mandolin
Jul 09, 2012 Mandolin rated it liked it
Murder and intrigue seem to follow Carole Seddon and her neighbor Jude wherever they go, even to the upscale village of Smalting, where Carole has rented a small beach hut for the upcoming summer visit by her daughter-in-law and grand-daughter. Carole is eagerly looking forward to the visit but experiences some trepidation about its success, which grows even greater when she makes a terrible discovery on her first visit to the beach hut. Her find reveals that not even the uppity "hutter" ...more
Judi Mckay
Jun 07, 2015 Judi Mckay rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any one liking old fashioned sleuthing and cosy crime.
Recommended to Judi by: Book Group Choice
This was a Reading Group choice, (my group reads crime novels) otherwise I don't think I would have read it as, while I loved "after Henry" and while I am quite in awe of Simon Brett after hearing him speak at a literary do, cosy crime is not really my thing.
It is sleuthing by two middle aged women. It is an old fashioned type of crime book, where there is no violence and asking the right questions reveals the answers to the puzzle, with a few red herrings thrown in. I guess it is aimed at a cer
Katrina
Feb 07, 2013 Katrina rated it it was ok
This book is set in the small affluent holiday village of Smalting on the south coast of England. Carole has moved there and is awaiting a visit from her daughter and granddaughter. She rents a beach hut so that they can make the most of their beach holiday but things take a nasty turn when she discovers that someone had damaged the beach hut, a fire had been lit underneath the floor. An investigation leads to discovery of bones and suddenly Smalting doesn't seem so idyllic.
This is the first boo
Tom
Mar 30, 2013 Tom rated it liked it
I have read most of the books of this series. I like this as a mystery. It is difficult to make an amateur duo work, but Brett does a very good job of that. What I really did not like about this one was the overly mean spiritedness of Carol. She has been self absorbed in the earlier books, which worked in complementing the two main characters. In this one Carol is completely unashamed of her cruel interactions with innocent bystanders. This is especially galling as she is overly sensitive to ...more
Richard
Apr 05, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
This is a familiar setting but in this episode Carole gets herself a beach hut for the Summer in neighboring Smalting where the people are "a bit up themselves".
This is a cracking story centered on the beach and the amateur investigations of Jude and Carole.
It has been mentioned in a few reviews of this series that it is improbable that the detective duo could get so many people to open up to them and assist them with their enquiries. SB does address this in this account of mystery and intrigue
DGT
Nov 23, 2015 DGT rated it liked it
Although this, the 12th of Simon Brett’s “Fethering” novels, is another successful cosy and old-style detective story, the investigation by the odd couple of Carole Seddon and Jude has two extra noteworthy achievements. “Bones Under the Beach Hut” is, for any kind of detective story, remarkably sympathetic to those characters who are in distress, and it is un-dogmatically liberal. On the latter, it is less the fairly easy targets of satire in Smalting, Fethering’s up-market seaside neighbour, ...more
Katherine Rowland
I identified strongly with Carole at the beginning, but as the story went on she became rather wearing. I felt that Brett was just trying too hard to invoke our sympathy. In addition, I felt that there were several unsavory elements that didn't really need to be included in the book. Overall, though, the low rating is because I just didn't find the book fulfilling. It felt tedious, repetitious, and shallow. Shallow isn't, in all, a bad thing; but the feeling in this book was that every character ...more
Susan
Dec 24, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
I'm a long time fan of Brett's, so it pains me to say that this series may be going a bit stale. Maybe it's because this episode has a lot of Carole Seddon, the prim, proper, buttoned up retiree, and too little of Jude, her free-spirited, intuitive neighbor. Carole is getting ready for a visit from her daughter-in-law and young grandchild, the only person she really, unconditionally loves, so she rents a beach hut in nearby Smalting. Something peculiar is going on, and she and Jude follow a lot ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Can there really be 12 of these already? This series is unique because both of the main characters have very different personalities than one normally finds in a cozy mystery.
In the latest installment, Carole loosens up a bit more by actually renting a beach hut for the summer, under which a body is discovered.
Carole and Jude are under a deadline to solve this murder because Carole's daughter-in-law and granddaughter are coming to visit for a week. The ensuing event is causing Carole the stress
Lauri Saplad
Dripping with dry British wit, this mystery was very well done. I found I couldn't quite empathize or even come to like the characters much. The MC, Carole, is very aloof and uptight. This, most of all kept me from loving her. Together with her friend, Jude, they actually solve two mysteries in the seaside town of Fethering. Very surprising with numerous twists, 'Bones' takes on some rather seamy subjects -- perhaps more than a little off-putting in a cozy mystery. Still a very good read. I ...more
Mandy Slater
May 26, 2014 Mandy Slater rated it liked it
A charmingly English whodunnit - just a bit tame and unrealistic for my liking. I felt the author needed to develop his characters more/make them more realistic in terms of their actions and how the female sleuths went about their business which sometimes defied belief. He certainly needs to do some some more research - as a complementary therapist myself it had me cringing in places.

But not an unpleasant read.

I have some more novels by this author in my pending pile - I will read them but will
Gina
Sep 30, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
An entertaining contemporary British mystery with two sleuths. Carole is a retired civil servant and her crime solving partner is Jude, a holistic healer. This book is one of a series with the two sleuths and is set in a small coastal town in England. The story begins when Carole rents a beach hut for the season. When she notices some burn marks in her hut it leads to the discovery of human remains buried underneath the hut.
Dee
Jan 18, 2012 Dee rated it it was ok
Rachel
Apr 06, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Reading Simon Brett's series featuring Mrs. Parterger (I've no doubt spelled that wrong) nearly ruined his Fethering series for me. The Mrs. P. books were SO funny, that relatively funny was no longer good enough. When I saw this book had come out, I didn't jump up and down to read it, but I wouldn't have read the previous 11 books if I disliked the series. It was a decent enough story.
Julie
May 12, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Finished this on the flight back from San Francisco. Simon had a widget whereby we could both listen to my iPod at the same time! We really enjoyed the author's narration. The plot was easy to follow & the characters were clearly defined. Graceful sad ending where all the loose ends were neatly tied.
Dorothy
Jun 12, 2014 Dorothy rated it liked it
Typical mystery by this author in the Fethering Series. This time there is a twist as Jude and Carol are following 2 different trails involving 2 different mysteries. Brett plays on the competitiveness between the 2 women...and this time, Jude has a love interest who turns out to be slightly more involved in her sleuthing than it first appears.
Catherine Woodman
There are a number of books by this author but I have not read any of them, so this is my first in this murder mystery series--it is what I would consider to be average for the genre--I liked the protagonist, and her side kick/friend. The plot was a little on the contrived side, but not irritatingly so.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
after some labor-intensive reading, this twelfth release of the british fethering series was a breath of fresh air. carole and jude make a fun amateur detective duo. will have to read the rest of the series, of course...
Helen
Light and undemanding reading (but well written and with both humour and social awareness). The setting is a seaside town in Sussex, and the main characters two middle aged neighbours who get involved in a series of murders and other incidents as amateur sleuths.
Nancy  W'f
Oct 01, 2012 Nancy W'f rated it really liked it
This is the first Simon Brett book I've ever read, and I can't wait to read more. A very good cozy mystery, with likeable sleuths, a good mix of characters, and a nicely done plot. I am looking forward to reading more of Brett's mysteries after reading this one.
Lynn
Apr 14, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it
Easy reading for a lazy Saturday. This series offers meandering "investigations" by two amateur sleuths and occasional sparkles of humor from their observations (and the author's) of contemporary life.
Jade
Jul 14, 2015 Jade rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Too dark and emotionally unsatisfying for me. The pedophile plot gave me the creeps & I didn't like that Jude, one of the lead character, was feeling compassion for pedophiles. What the heck was that about?
Alexandra Roach
Apr 27, 2016 Alexandra Roach rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Really enjoyable read. I haven't read any of the previous ones in the series but it didn't seem to matter. Makes Midsomer Murders look gritty but features an agreeable pair of amateur sleuths with lots of keen observation about human nature and frailty
  • A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)
  • A Perfect Death (Wesley Peterson, #13)
  • Old Enemies
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • Good Bait
  • Love in Amsterdam
  • No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8)
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • The Riverside Villas Murder
  • Hard Going (Bill Slider, #16)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • One Sunday
  • Fallen Gods
  • Maigret's Mistake
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)