Start by marking “Relative Danger” as Want to Read:
Relative Danger

Relative Danger

Picture a hotel room in 1948 Singapore. Picture a dispute between black marketer and thief Russell Pearce and an associate-one who opens fire and murders Russell Pearce. Fast forward to present-day Potts-ville, Pennsylvania. Young Doug Pearce, just fired from his steady job in the brewery, has never strayed far from home. But he's always found stories of his Uncle Russ, th ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Relative Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relative Danger

LJ
RELATIVE DANGER – EX
Charles Beniot – 1st book
Doug Pearce, of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, leaves his small town at the request of Edna, an exotic older woman who knew his black-sheep uncle, Russell Pearce. It seems that Russell was murdered in 1948, apparently while trying to smuggle an outrageously big red diamond out of Singapore. Beginning in Casablanca and continuing through Morocco and Egypt, Doug eventually lands in Singapore, where his uncle's life ended. Along the way, he meets a stately mu
Morgan Allison
Nov 25, 2012 Morgan Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read the book because the author was paying a special visit to the school I work at. I had read his young adult book "You" and figured I should read something for an adult audience as well. I was suprised and how quickly I was hooked by the story line. I love a good mystery and, although I knew one of the main characters had to be the "bad guy" I truly couldn't figure it out until the very end of the story. Very enjoyable!
Scott
Apr 01, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Mystery, adventure, travel, intrigue...
This was an amazing book that I could not put down and made me a fan of Charles Benoit for life. I recommend this book to a ton of people and I have not met a person yet who didn't love it.
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2004/256 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: Present/PA; Toronto; Morocco; Egypt; Singapore
CHARACTERS: Douglas Pearce/brewery worker
FIRST LINES: The 1st shot went throught the oriental patterned upholstery & lodged in the wood frame of the chair. Later, Singapore police were able to match this bullet to the 7.62 Russian TT-33 Tokarev pistol w/ the initals CH engraved along the
Miles
Dec 22, 2013 Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-ebooks
As an avid reader of international thrillers, I must say that this book, in my opinion, is the best of its type I've read to date. This book has everything I look for - a central character who holds my interest - international travel - and a realistic plot. Like Doug, the hero, I'm easily distracted; and poor writing and bad editing distract me from a good read. I found neither throughout Relative Danger. The character and plot development are as good as the continuity; and every sentence makes ...more
Todd Stockslager
First novel for PA native Benoit, whose effort is made more endearing to me for its occasional references to the Pirates, Steelers, and Three Rivers Stadium. Otherwise, however, this is just a bit better than pedestrian first outing, with an unbelievable plot, too many red herrings that require too much dialogic explication at the end, and wooden and overheated attempts at passionate relationships.

On the good side, the plots moves quickly and the fast pace keeps the reader engaged and helps them
Jeanne
Nov 29, 2011 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hapless schlub Doug Pearce goes on a multi-country search to find out the truth behind his uncle's death. Flitting from Casablanca to Cairo to Singapore, Doug meets plenty of English-speaking people and lands in amusing and far-fetched situations which seem not to bother him a bit. Pretty unrealistic but amusing.
james
Dec 01, 2010 james rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book I've read by this author. Both deal with naive Americans in foreign countries on unusual quests. This book deals with a young man who is dispatched to Casablanca, Cairo, and finally Singapore to conduct research on his Uncle Russ, the black sheep of the family who was murdered in Singapore. Lots of fun in this mystery/travelogue.
Joel Roberts
the book was OK. i liked the basic plot/premise (a great suspense/thriller writer could do amazing things with it), but the author's execution on the action narrative and some of the dialogue left me a bit disappointed. also, i thought most of his "twists" at the end were very predictable.
Neil Plakcy
Loved the start of this book, and it's certainly well-written. But the nebbishy main character just didn't excite me. Great locations and intrigue but I skipped to the end, read the last chapters and didn't feel like I missed much.
Bernadette Russell
Very relatable and likable main character that you can't help but root for. The story was at times a little slow, but not annoyingly so. I listened to it on audio book and was impressed by the number of different voices and accents used.
Jan 20, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read, mysteries
Sometimes, when the author creates characters whom I both dislike and am also annoyed by, I just abandon a book.
Beverly
Enjoyed this book. The (reluctant) hero travels around the world. I think the author captured the flavor of each city. I saw the author at Bouchercon and he was very funny.
Steve
Jul 20, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick and quirky read. Loved the book. The main character is clever and the plot is fast paced. Made me laugh out loud several times. You have to read this one.
Mary
Jun 06, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a goofy suspense, sort of, with a kind of goofy guy who is trying to hunt down a supposed treasure and he encounters goofy people who help and hinder him.
Barbara Dunbar
Mar 31, 2015 Barbara Dunbar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relative danger

In the vein of the Maltese Falcon with many international twists and turns keeping me rooting for our anti-hero. I recommend this book.
Krissys
Apr 22, 2013 Krissys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: featured-books, star
I really enjoyed reading this book, Doug Pearce aka Dick Tracy goes on a hunt involving his uncles past. Very entertaining read!
Lil Jen
Dec 25, 2013 Lil Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story to read though, Benoit has written a story that makes this part of the world come alive around you. While unrealistic to some degree, the characters draw you in, leaving you wanting more.
Jenn Estepp
3 1/2, really. reminded me a bit of "travels with my aunt." funny, adventurous romp with a wee bit of mystery.
Mary
May 19, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, quite predictable, but I'd read more of this author. Fun to take a novice to the middle east, I was naive as well as the lead character.
RUSA CODES
This title was a Listen-Alike selection for the 2012 Listen List. For a complete list of winners and listen-alikes, please visit http://www.ala.org/rusa/awards/listen....

Kelly Keyes
Kelly Keyes rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Nan
Nan rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
G.s. Khalsa
G.s. Khalsa rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Gurupreetkhalsa
Gurupreetkhalsa rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2008
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Hoge Tyler
Hoge Tyler rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Nick Schwartz
Nick Schwartz rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • Foul Player (Dr. Jillian Sanders, #1)
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • Zack
  • Dangerous Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #1)
  • The House of the Wicked
  • The Puppeteer
  • Top Ten
  • Dead End
  • Necessary Evils
  • The Incident Report
  • Chill Run
  • Stealing the Dragon
  • Bitter End (Seychelle Sullivan, #3)
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Dead (The Bree MacGowan Series, #3)
  • The Killing Code
When he's not traveling around the globe in the search of exotic, tax-deductible settings for his mysteries, Charles Benoit spends his days pumping out subliminal-laced advertising.
Nominated for an Edgar and a Barry, Relative Danger won the Franklin award and was the darling of fans and critics alike. Out of Order (2006) is set in modern India while Noble Lies (September 2007) takes place in Thai
More about Charles Benoit...