Start by marking “Scandalous by Night” as Want to Read:
Scandalous by Night

Scandalous by Night (Carlisle Family #4)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Even among that band of rakes known as les sauvages nobles, Lord Everod's reputation is truly wicked. Countless willing partners have enjoyed his sensual prowess, but now one lovely innocent has his undivided attention. The alluring Miss Maura Keighly once lost Everod his family's regard, and almost cost him his life. And no vengeance could be sweeter than the delicious se ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous by Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandalous by Night

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 15, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ummm, I don't think so
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release August 2008

After an extended bout of reading erotica and paranormal titles, I was looking forward to taking a break and heading back in time with “Scandalous by Night” by Barbara Pierce, a historical romance from St. Martin’s Press. This is certainly a passionate novel for a historical, set in the early 1800s in England. It’s a tale of wickedness, villainy, and revenge. A young man seduced and betrayed by his own loved ones, and a young woman, alone a
Katie(babs)
ord Townsend Elliot Lidsaw, Viscount Everod (quite the long name) also has the nickname of Everhard because of all the good loving he gives the widows and courtesans of the London. Everod is a bit amoral and quite the playboy. He reminds me so much of the Vicomte Sebastian de Valmont that was played by John Malkovich in the 1988 movie, Dangerous Liaisons. From my initial introduction of Everod, I was bound to not like him at all. He is that type of hero that would make the heroine suffer, and th ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Mar 31, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
This one seems a bit standard to me... nothing really bringing it to the forefront or something a bit more memorable. The ending was a bit abrupt and all resolutions were cleaned up in the last few pages. I am wondering about the next novel though... There is the last "les sauvages nobles" Cadd, and there is the mysterious pregnancy of Lady Spryng. I am wondering if we will see them have story together or what the next one will bring.
Karen
Nov 17, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Note to self-- if this title was representative of her work, don't pick up this author again. The plot skipped so much I found myself checking page numbers to make sure I hadn't missed bits, and motivations (even for the villainess) were all-around pretty weak. Even the ending was sort of "Er... wha'?" The complete lack of credible plotting pretty much represents much of what I dislike about the genre.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Probably my favorite out of the four in the series, if not for a few irritating points.

What worked for me:
*LOVED the reason Lord Everod was estranged from his family. That was CRAZY!

*I really enjoyed the wives of the previous characters circled around Maura when they began to perceive Everod as a threat

*I also liked the Big Betrayal between Everod and Maura. Well done toward the angst factor to me.

What didn't work for me:
*I didn't really "get" the ILY's -- it was like "ah the sex is wonderful"
Nicole
Apr 25, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have given the book a better rating had it been a complete story. I felt like it was only 3/4 of what the story could have been. I didn't get to know the characters as much as I would have liked and the ending just kind of dropped off. I'm not one that requires the woman end up pregnant and the future is wrapped up in a nice epilogue or anything, but this book just lacked something at the conclusion.
Lori
Jul 06, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say I'll never look at raspberry jam in the same way again! Actually, there was much to like in this book, but the beginning (following the prologue) was a little confusing. This is part of a series, and can be read as a standalone, but there is a brother / sister in the book that had the most confusing names. Took me at least half the book to figure it out.
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 Talia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Um, I know it's a romance novel, so we're not going for lots of credibility here. But honestly, some of the language that was used just didn't seem to fit within the period.
Ida Plassay
Jan 29, 2009 Ida Plassay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Very well written. It captured my interest from the start and I just couldn't put it down until I finished reading it.
Michaela
Jan 05, 2009 Michaela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
couldn't get into it couldn't finish it.
Joyce James
Joyce James marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Madison Schaefer
Madison Schaefer rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Patty McKenna Van Hulle marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Coral Brady
Coral Brady rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Viola Prins
Viola Prins marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Juana "Darkness" Duran marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Nathalie Michaud
Nathalie Michaud marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Sarah Saukerson
Sarah Saukerson marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
  • Now You See Him...
  • Never a Bride
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Dangerous
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Midsummer Eve At Rookery End
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • A Mistress for the Taking
  • The Lover (The Lover, #1)
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • My Cherished Enemy
  • The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4)
  • One Night With You (The Derrings #3)
  • The Christmas Love-Child (Snow, Satin and Seduction)
  • Long Time Gone (Konigsburg, #4)
Having a rich English ancestry that can be traced back to the 1500s, BARBARA PIERCE credits her grandmother and the romantic family tales she was told as a child for inspiring her early fascination with English history.

Striving to balance her love of history with the need to tell a compelling story, she debuted in 2000 with A Desperate Game. Since then, she has created two successful family series
More about Barbara Pierce...

Carlisle Family (4 books)
  • Wicked Under the Covers (Carlisle Family, #1)
  • Sinful Between the Sheets (Carlisle Family, #2)
  • Naughty by Nature (Carlisle Family, #3)