Start by marking “The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry” as Want to Read:

A highly readable history of arms and armour across Europe from the Bronze Age to the Age of Chivalry, based upon the evidence of arms found in excavations, tombs and rivers, as well as upon contemporary art.
Published December 1st 1994 by Boydell Press

To ask other readers questions about The Archaeology of Weapons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Archaeology of Weapons

Jer
Oct 01, 2014 Jer rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, med-euro-his
First thing to understand is that this focuses on northern European examples, and those from the bronze age to roughly the 14th century. Do not expect non-European, or even southern European, content.

It provides lots of detailed descriptions of bladed weapons from the stated time period; so if you're looking for that sort of thing, it's right up your alley. More interesting to me, between the descriptions, was Oakeshott's take on the history surrounding the weapons, the cultural history; partic
Vincent
The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry – the informative, personable survey of weapons by the late sword-expert, Ewart Oakeshott (1916-2002) – remains after forty years one of the best introductions to the history and forms of the European sword from pre-history to the late Middle Ages. It reveals the reasons for its various developments, which include both metallurgical technology and advances in armor and military technique. I wish that I could have ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius  omnivorous reader
This was a first rate read!

I mainly concentrated on the introduction and up to part three, which is the Viking age. Part four is the age of chivalry and goes into a period of history in which I have less interest, but I may yet pick it up and read it sometime simply because it is such fun to read.

In the preface to the 1994 reprint the author explains a little of the hostory of the book and the reprint; I strongly recommend that anyone who is going to use this as a source book (As I will be) rea
Sarai
Product Description
Tremendously detailed and thorough account of premodern weapons of war — from the prehistoric Bronze and Iron Ages and the breakup of the Roman Empire, to the Viking era and the Age of Chivalry. Profusely illustrated with a host of armor and weapons: daggers, longbows, crossbows, helmets, swords, shields, spears and more.

This is a very useful tome for anyone needing to research historical weaponry or anyone interested in weaponry. Probably not for light reading, but lots of go
George Anderson
Jun 07, 2016 George Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe the number of interesting details in this book. Covers mostly cutting and piercing weapons up through the Middles Ages. With the rampant increase in street crime and home invasions in our cities and towns today, perhaps its time we all carried spears and broadswords to protect our loved ones.
Dave/Maggie Bean
As I child, I read a much, much earlier edition of this title -- and loved it to death. Glad to see it's still in print. I'm getting a copy by hook or by crook... :-)
Pam P
Oct 18, 2009 Pam P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep
A useful book, we look at it for so often.
Rebecca
May 29, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hema
A very readable and accessible introduction to the history of sword development and the different types used in the middle ages. Images are well used and referred to throughout the text.
Oddleif
Oddleif rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
John Erik Nowlan
John Erik Nowlan rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
M
M rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
jim gannaway
jim gannaway rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Luis A. Rivera-Vega
Luis A. Rivera-Vega rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Brannigan
Brannigan rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Michal
Michal rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2008
T4R1T4R1
T4R1T4R1 rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Dave Zarka
Dave Zarka rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Gilbert
Gilbert rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2008
Travis Andrews
Travis Andrews rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Vedat GURER
Vedat GURER rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
James Carroll
James Carroll rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Michael Basista
Michael Basista rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Endre Fodstad
Endre Fodstad rated it liked it
May 28, 2011
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2008
Kelli Jean
Kelli Jean rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Jillian Logee
Jillian Logee rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World (3000 B.C. to 500 A.D.): Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics
  • Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat
  • The Book of the Sword: With 293 Illustrations
  • Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques
  • Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors, and Warfare in the Ancient Civilizations of Greece and Rome
  • Goddesses and the Divine Feminine: A Western Religious History
  • The Roman Triumph
  • Warfare in Antiquity: History of the Art of War, Volume I
  • Greek and Roman Necromancy
  • Warriors Of The Steppe: Military History Of Central Asia, 500 B.C. To 1700 A.D.
  • Sicily: Three Thousand Years of Human History
  • Roman Warfare
  • Ancient Iraq
  • The Art of War in the Middle Ages: A.D. 378-1515
  • Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Illustrated Bloodline of the Holy Grail: Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed
  • Paideia 1: The Ideals of Greek Culture: Archaic Greece: The Mind of Athens
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts