The Next Set (Thursday Next, #1-4)

The Next Set (Thursday Next, #1-4)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A magnificent presentation box of the first 4 volumes in the phenomenally successful, bestselling THURSDAY NEXT series. Your chance to read the first four volumes of one of the most thought-provoking and tremendously humorous epics in modern publishing. Join the quest in THE EYRE AFFAIR, where Fforde introduces the fresh and delightfully original literary detective, Thursd...more
Paperback
Published November 10th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Next Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Set

Rebecca
OK—I really liked this series and was very disappointed when I finished the last book. For anyone who enjoys books, Fforde is expert in creating a believable world within the world of books. With that said, there are language issues in these books that have bothered me more than in other books.
Julia
Jan 07, 2009 Julia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy, creative art
Shelves: fantasy
Talk about tongue in cheek! I blazed through all four of the first Jasper Fforde stories about Thursday Next, his narrator/protagonist, but the first one--THE EYRE AFFAIR--remains my favorite. It takes place in alternative 1985, where literary detective Thursday Next pursues a master criminal through the world of Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. This archenemy is Acheron Hades and Thursday has a pet dodo--sort of gives you a touch of just how ZANY these books are, but it's so great to be taken away...more
Moriah
Great fun for anyone who has read a lot of the classics of British lit. Fforde creates a world that loves its books and takes them very seriously. Read the reviews on Amazon.com for a better idea of what it's all about. Fun and entertaining but not at all mindless. And I love the pet dodos!
Jana
I read each of these, but I found this book that has them all in one. Oh readers...you will LOVE all the literary references: The Department of Jurisfiction. Jasper Fforde is so creative and quirky. I am on the fifth book now.

Again, a perfect book for you, Carla!!
Leslie
I adore the literary references, and the plethora of puns. Its all British humor and pure cleverness.
Stargazer
Couldn't find anyone to touch Pratchett until I discovered Jasper Fforde, great stuff.
Catherine Schaff-Stump
Very British and literate. I enjoyed it a lot in a Hitchhikeresque way.
Amy
If you like books, you'll like these books.
Elizabeth Krall
Inspired foolishness!
Zeithgeist
Esta bastante bien. Los personajes son más que aceptables, la construcción de la realidad esta muy bien (no te hace ruido nada a falso, sirve como fantasía inmersiva) y lo que deja a media marcha todo es la historia en sí que no termina de cerrar, de ser todo lo interesante que podria ser. Pero como pochoclera, esta mas q bien.
Luna
Nov 18, 2013 Luna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: series
FORMAT: Audiobook

Jasper Fforde is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors and this series has added a great deal to my opinion of his work.
Thursday next is a book detective. She has the strange ability to 'read' herself into the amazing and not-so-straightforward 'Book World'. She lives in an alternative reality where the british government is partly run by a mega-corporation called Goliath and they wish to find out how to hone her book-jumpling skills.

This series was a laugh from start to...more
Jessica
These are candy novels for the book nerd. All the fantastical systems and institutions that Fforde creates for his alternate universe sometimes get tangled and spill outside the reader’s suspension of disbelief, but who cares? They're creative and interesting, and make you chuckle, and the constant action makes you want to turn the page. Plus, there’s a smart, capable, female detective solving multiple crimes and puzzles in the midst of a culture full of book-nerds. Just enjoy it.
Karen
It's sugar for the book lover. How exciting to read of a world where thousands of people, instead of naming their babies "Brittney," are renaming themselves as Dryden or Milton or Shakespeare, and interfering with a book is terrorism that would send the community into a panic. Pure sugar.
Trish
Slightly cheating, as it saves me from putting them all in individually. Good fun. Nicely written. Reread The Eyre Affair it to present it to my book club in September 2006. Some of them got the idea and enjoyed it. Others really didn't! Now reading it for a different book club.
Katherine Collett
Very good, funny literary fantasy/mystery, with time travel and jumping in and out of fiction, in a world where dead poets are pop idols and the Crimean War still continues and the Goliath Corporation watches over you, cradle to grave.
Aiching
Apr 09, 2008 Aiching rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those looking for novel ideas. Novel, as in new.
Well, technically, I don't own the box set. I only saw it after I'd bought each book separately. I spent the first few seconds upon seeing the boxed set staring stupidly, and after recovering from that, hitting my head.
Brenna
This is a fabulous series! The adult version of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", add some mystery and human struggle, a chance at love and a rollicking good time.
ACRL
Feb 04, 2013 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Brittney Thomas. Learn more about Brittney on the ACRL Insider blog.
John
Pretty good, overall - good premise, creative (included some fantasy/alternative reality ideas I'd never heard before, including some good time anomaly things.)
Susan
Sep 28, 2008 Susan added it
Once again, my favorite SpecOps girl is on the case. Thursday Next is embroiled in reality and fiction in her "next" case.

I love, love, love Jasper Fforde.
Jill
Fun, Fun, Fun- with more literary and other references than you could ever process!
David
David added it
Aug 23, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lanea
Lanea added it
Aug 18, 2014
Gavin Henning
Gavin Henning marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Meike Schenk
Meike Schenk marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jasper Fforde is a novelist living in Wales. He is the son of John Standish Fforde, the 24th Chief Cashier for the Bank of England, whose signature used to appear on sterling banknotes, and is cousin of Desmond Fforde, married with the author Katie Fforde. His early career was spent as a focus puller in the film industry, where he worked on a number of films including Quills, GoldenEye, and Entrap...more
More about Jasper Fforde...
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2) The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3) Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4) The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1)