Start by marking “The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3)

The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  30,948 Ratings  ·  1,559 Reviews
Leaving Swindon behind her to hide out in the Well of Lost Plots (the place where all fiction is created), Thursday Next, Literary Detective and soon-to-be one parent family, ponders her next move from within an unpublished book of dubious merit entitled 'Caversham Heights'.
Hardcover
Published July 1st 2003 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Lost Plots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Lost Plots

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
544 books — 83 voters
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules VerneThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonLife of Pi by Yann MartelSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg
Oceans, Water, Ice
366 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Lena
Mar 05, 2008 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I’m sad to say I didn’t enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first two in the series. While I think Fforde’s choice to set the action almost entirely in the Bookworld was an intriguing one, I also got the sense he was in over his head.

Like many of the partially completed books in the Well of Lost Plots, there is a great amount of creativity on display here, but also a lot of half-baked ideas and poorly developed characters. The action took place in so many different settings and with su
Stephen
5.0 to 5.5 stars. I liked this book so much that when I finished it I had to really wonder whether I should go back and re-read the first two books in the series (which I have 4 stars and 3 stars respectively). The writing was absolutely superb, the plot was engaging and very original and the literary references hysterical. I found myself more than once jumping to Wikipedia to find out from which book a particular character or reference originated.

A few fun examples (1) a rage counseling sessio
F.R.
Oct 02, 2010 F.R. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In which my irritation at this series reaches a boiling point.

I had an odd reaction to the two previous Thursday Next novels, a curious mixture of subtle enjoyment and distinct annoyance. The enjoyment came from the fact that I’m a man who loves books and they were distinctly literary reads. But there was also a huge amount of quirkiness (never a quality I particularly like) and an arch ‘oh-isn’t-this-soooo-clever!’ self-satisfaction to the proceedings. There were points in the previous books wh
Jim
This one took a bit more time to get going than the previous two. The point wasn't really clear until a third of the way through, but that's not awful. It's a lot of fun just visiting this strange world - even stranger since most of this one was in the book world, not the 'real' one.

The book world provides so many wonderful opportunities for fun & humor. Mrs. Havisham, the depressing spinster from Great Expectations, loves to drive fast so it only makes sense she has a rivalry with Mr. Toad
Carmen
May 01, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literature lovers, people who like funny books
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
3rd BOOK IN THE "THURSDAY NEXT" SERIES. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS TWO BOOKS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. NO SPOILERS FOR THIS VOLUME (#3)

Thursday Next is a war veteran. She has traveled into books. She has worked for Special Ops. She has fought a Supreme Evil Being. Her skills and smarts are legendary.

Thursday Next is pregnant. The father, her husband Landon, is dead - eradicated by those Goliath Corporation bastards. They traveled back in time and killed him as a 2-year-old. It's
Anthony Eaton
Aug 25, 2011 Anthony Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to see how many people didn't like this one as much as the first two. Personally, I loved it. Interestingly though, before I launched into the Thursday next books, I had already read the 1st 2 of Fforde's ' Nursery Crimes’ series, which intersects loosely with the book world setting of this 3rd novel, and for me a large part of the reading pleasure here was in the cleverness of that intersection, And so perhaps that has some impact upon the way I read the book.

Like the previous 2
Honor
Jul 19, 2008 Honor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers and other book nerds.
I seem somewhat doomed to find series via a book somewhere in the middle. I'm sure it happens to everyone, but it -feels- like it happens to me a bit more often.

So... Except for people who find it accidentally, who'd read a review of this book? Likely someone who's interested in perhaps reading it... Who, I'd guess, would be someone who's already read the first two. So, this review's probably useless. None the less....

This book (as I'm sure is true for the rest of the series) is meant as somethi
Lisa Vegan
Mar 12, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost anyone who enjoys humor, mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy, the English language, and books
I slogged through most of the first fifth or so of this book; I preferred Thursday in her “real” world of the first two books. I was concerned that this third book wouldn’t be as enjoyable as I’d expected it would be. I ended up loving it though, and laughed as much as I did while reading the first two books, and cared as much about Thursday and certain other characters as much as well.

This book was kind of all over the place more than the first two books in the series, but there were so many wo
Oct 01, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something in me that wants to dislike these books, but I just can't. They are both absurd and ridiculously clever, and stuffed full of jokes that only a gramma(rfan) could love. I appreciate that Fforde explodes the formulae of every genre he skewers, refusing to return his characters to the starting block for the next book. I sometimes find everything a little too clever and self-congratulatory, and the quotes that start the chapters irritate me with their look-ma-no-exposition expositi ...more
Sandi
Oct 14, 2008 Sandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, funny-stuff
I jumped right into "The Well of Lost Plots" after finishing "Lost in a Good Book". I think I'm ready for some other reading for a while.

"The Well of Lost Plots" was a pretty interesting book, and it was fun. But, there wasn't a lot of plot to it and it jumped around a lot. Once again, Thursday's primary problem remains unresolved. I hope it gets taken care of in the next volume.

Oh, and I think I need to read "Great Expectations".
Anna
Aug 28, 2007 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlanders with humor
In this third book, Thursday Next goes for a small holiday in a poorly written and unpublished novel in the Well of Lost Plots within the Book World. While there, she ends up joining the Book World police (Jurisfiction) as an apprentice to the Dickens Great Expectations character Mrs Haversham.

As in the previous two novels, this one if full of funny dialogues and meetings with characters from some of the great classics (Dickens, Brontë and Verne are just a few).

The books really revolves around
Angela
Jul 12, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing. I'm convinced that Fforde is one of the most brilliant authors writing fiction today.

The Well of Lost Plots, rather than being more of the same from the world of Thursday Next and Jurisfiction, is something fresh, still original, never boring, and simply... fabulous. I adore this series for so many reasons... not the least of which being that it, much like Harry Potter or Abarat, is too often viewed as a children's book when it (and the others) are really nothing of the sort.
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for something different
Just got this one and had to read it right away. I was going to wait, as I still haven't read Lost in a Good Book, but I picked it up just to look through it and I couldn't put it down. I'm not even sure really why I like this series so much. Maybe just because it is so different. Or maybe it's all the Lewis Carroll stuff. But it was really good and I'm anxious to read more in this series.
Dan
Feb 16, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thursday Next leaves her strange version of Swindon behind to take a sort-of maternity leave in the Bookworld. As part of the character exchange program she finds herself in the poorly written book Caversham Heights. But whilst she's in Bookworld she still has duties to attend to, whether that be an Alice in Wonderland trial, helping Miss Havisham run anger management groups in Wuthering Heights or try and work out what's wrong with the new book operating system UltraWorld.

It's an interesting mo
Elderberrywine
Apr 14, 2013 Elderberrywine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This series is really becoming more and more delightful. No summary of the plot would make a lick of sense, but suffice it to say, we lost the glorious Miss Havisham this time around; lost in an automobile race with Mr. Toad (who, it must be said, was terribly cut up about it).

But then the chapter was called The Final Bow, and so I have hopes that perhaps it wasn't quite as final?

"There's an east wind coming, Watson."

"I think not, Holmes. It is very warm."

"Good old Watson! You are the one fix
Martine
In the third instalment of the series, real life becomes a bit too dangerous for Thursday, so she goes into hiding in the book world. And not just any part of the book world, but the Well of Lost Plots, where unpublished novels languish. Here, while the pernicious Aornis Hades tries to erase her memories, Thursday continues her training to become a Jurisfiction agent. Which is not as easy as it might sound, for characters are failing to show up for their Rage Control Meetings, murderous Minotaur ...more
Lanie
Mar 06, 2016 Lanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After really enjoying the first two books, this was a little disappointing.

In this book our heroine and her dodo are hiding in 'the book world', there are jokes to be got, adventures to be had, and plots to be foiled. However Fforde's book world entrances me less than his 'real' world. The light hearted playfulness of the first volumes is here transformed into heavy handed satire on the publishing industry and the dangers of e-control over fiction.

Fforde goes into great detail describing the wa
Skylar Burris
In this third installment of the Thursday Next literary mystery series, our agent finds herself working for Jurisfiction in the Book World, residing in one of the unpublished novels to be found in the Well of Lost Plots. Fforde creates a clever fantasy world and uses numerous literary puns, which make The Well of Lost Plots worth reading. The story itself, however, is not really gripping, and Thursday's character has never seemed well developed or "real" to me. I keep reading this series because ...more
Stewie's Mom
I loved, love, loved this book. I mean, really loved this book. I didn't remember the first or the second books in this series being quite so witty and funny. I really enjoyed the way Mr. Fforde writes and I think Thursday may well be my new favorite character. I wanted to go back and re-read the first two books in the series to see if I missed something. This book was so funny and I loved the way the chapters began with an absurd news article or an insight of Thursday's thoughts via her journal ...more
Niki Vervaeke
Mijn derde Jasper Fforde en ik moet toegeven dat ik verslaafd geworden ben aan de boekenwereld van Thursday. Het is boekengerelateerd op zoveel manieren dat je het amper kunt volgen, origineel, met de nodige laagjes (er zit ook een hoop politiek in, totaal onverwacht) creatieve taalspelletjes (je moet wel van Engels houden, ik heb geen idee hoe dit vertaald zou kunnen worden) en spanning!
Ideale vakantielectuur

Gwen
Dec 05, 2012 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fforde-dipendenza

Un autore semplicemente geniale... a cui chiederei in prestito uno "stanaripetizioni" e team annesso ogni volta che mi trovo a scrivere ;-)
Qui la mia recensione:
Victoria
Jun 07, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, 2016-favs
Brilliant! Possibly the best yet! Love this series and it's getting better and better!
Amanda Milburn
Jul 06, 2014 Amanda Milburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Books are magic". You said it best, Mr Fforde. Another masterpiece for lovers of literature
Bella
Sep 21, 2008 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bookworms
Tis awesome so far. A truly marvelous plotline, with amazing contraptions thrown in. Ingenious.
Sharon
Jan 28, 2017 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Fforde delivers a witty, irreverent tale filled with literary allusions and adventure. Go in with an open mind and you'll be delighted by the familiar characters and references (anger management counselling for the characters of Wuthering Heights was particularly fun) as well as the characters and plots of Fforde's own fertile imagination.
Nadja
Dec 31, 2016 Nadja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read-2016
this novel was honestly better than i remembered. i haven't read it as often as the other books in the thursday next series and honestly, i don't remember why. it was super fun and funny and also devastating.
a main topic is the way people read. it's super interesting and meta to read descriptions of your reading process and i noticed that i read more consciously after that. i also find the entire progress of book manufacturing like it's in this novel super cool, honestly, from the view point of
Melissa Rudder
Jan 16, 2010 Melissa Rudder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jasper Fforde's The Well of Lost Plots might be the best Thursday Next book so far, especially showcasing all that I've come to appreciate in Fforde's novels: his imaginative alternate realities, literary knowledge, clever word play, and suspenseful plot development. From witty phrasings to its compelling story, The Well of Lost Plots was simply delightful.

While Fforde's third novel has all of the literary gags of its predecessors--for instance, literary characters collecting for Jurisfiction me
Jeff
Aug 13, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gigi
May 05, 2008 Gigi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book in the series has a lot more side stories and even more creative ideas which sometimes interrupted the flow of the story for me. It took a little more work to read as I had to remember quite a few different books and their plots which are referenced. But overall I really enjoyed it and the ideas that Fforde comes up with are so entertaining that it is fun just reading some passages.

One of the most entertaining of these passages was Lady Cavendish describing the "had had" and "that that
JG (The Introverted Reader)
The adventures of Thursday Next continue as she seeks refuge from the evil designs of the Goliath Corporation and Yorick Kaine inside the Book World, most specifically, The Well of Lost Plots. She's pregnant, her pet dodo is hatching an egg in a slightly muddled way, her husband has been eradicated (back when he was only two years old) and the little sister of her defeated arch-nemesis is slowly erasing and/or changing all of Thursday's memories. She's also investigating crimes as an apprentice ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde 4 37 Mar 31, 2015 01:21PM
List of Characters 2 16 Sep 08, 2014 02:48PM
safe to read this one first, first one later? 12 62 Jun 20, 2014 03:00PM
  • Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
  • Letters from LA
  • The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3)
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • The Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • The Bookman's Promise (Cliff Janeway, #3)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
Jasper Fforde is a novelist living in Wales. He is the son of John Standish Fforde, the 24th Chief Cashier for the Bank of England, whose signature used to appear on sterling banknotes, and is cousin of Desmond Fforde, married to author Katie Fforde. His early career was spent as a focus puller in the film industry, where he worked on a number of films including Quills, GoldenEye, and Entrapment.

H
More about Jasper Fforde...

Thursday Next (8 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
  • Dark Reading Matter (Thursday Next, #8)

“After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer's breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.” 1867 likes
“Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.” 282 likes