Start by marking “Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life” as Want to Read:

Jobs, Career
Published September 15th 2010 by CornerStone Leadership Institute

Be the first to ask a question about Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life

Mark Oppenlander
At some point in the last few decades it became popular to write business advice and professional self-help books in a narrative format. Presumably this was done to make the concepts being described more accessible and engaging for the lay reader. But such an approach only works if the author has any idea how to write narrative fiction.

So let me just say it up front: This book is awful. If you want to know more, read on and I'll explain why I believe it is awful.

Ryan Harris is a manager who is b
Suzanne
Nov 25, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I received this book as a gift from a former fellow and current friend/mentor at the completion of my Spectrum Health fellowship. I think books are one of the best gifts. They impart knowledge, which is the gift that keeps on giving.

Concise, easy read. Great "truths" to follow for a successful professional and personal life. Good summaries at the end. My three start is mostly due to the approach to telling the truths and not the actual truths. I understand that Cottrell was trying to add the pe
Teena in Toronto
Mar 05, 2013 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Ryan Harris is a successful manager who is burnt out and tired of working hard and going nowhere. Looking for guidance, he turns to Jeff Walters, a semiretired executive who agrees to coach Ryan (they worked together years ago). Jeff had been mentored in the past so this is his chance to pay it forward.

They meet every Tuesday morning for eight weeks so Ryan can learn the eight simple truths:

* No Matter What!
Bonnie
Dec 15, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Bonnie by: Anant Singhal
Shelves: nonfiction
Whereas the book I read last, The Art of Persuasion: Winning Without Intimidation, was about getting your way at the expense of no one, and treating people special even if they can't do anything for you, Tuesday Morning Coaching was cold and somewhat empty. I found the tone condescending and merciless, and while none of the advice was downright bad, I didn't like the tone of the mentor, Jeff, and his success "no matter what" attitude. Maybe I'm just not meant to be a businessman, but luckily for ...more
Vicci Divine
Sep 20, 2012 Vicci Divine rated it really liked it
This was such a great read with 8 simple truths. I read it every Tuesday morning and while I didn't take on the actions I plan on reading it again and embedding the truths as part of my value system.
Janine
Jul 02, 2012 Janine rated it really liked it
Really a neat little book with some good advise on setting priorities, staying focused, and accomplishing success. I like the notes at the end of each chapter. They summarize the most important points nicely. This is a good book to give to an aspiring leader to read.
Kat Murphy
Mar 14, 2015 Kat Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read! I received this book from the president of my company, so knew it would be important to read. These eight truths can be applied to an individual's career but also in his or hers personal life. My favorite chapter-truth is that Knowledge is Power! Keep reading books.
Craig
Sep 04, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing
Simple, concise success principles told in story fashion. Very easy/quick read, definitely going to re-read.

5 stars isn't enough...
Brenda
Oct 19, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Loving the simplicity of this book and the profound wisdom and knowledge one can glean if committed to change and willing to submit to being coached/mentored. I loved it.
April
Sep 02, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Great book - good for boosting your career or just your daily habits toward whatever accomplishments you are going after.
Santosh Durgavajjala
Mar 15, 2013 Santosh Durgavajjala rated it it was amazing
Very simple truths that can enhance your success ratio in whatever field you are if you wish to follow them with discipline. I loved reading this book
Holly Smith
Holly Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
irfan bekleyen
irfan bekleyen rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Atul
Atul rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Leslie Plotkin
Leslie Plotkin rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Wade Bearden
Wade Bearden rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Jenelou John
Jenelou John rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
George Glover
George Glover rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Keith Brooks
Dec 26, 2013 Keith Brooks rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Ok, read as a mentor to be. Just ok is how I recall it.
Joshua Pisano
Joshua Pisano rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2014
Karieffe Codner
Karieffe Codner rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Lacy Christ
Lacy Christ rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Vibha
Vibha rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Quianna Babb
Quianna Babb rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Shirley Lee
Shirley Lee rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
Patty Yip
Patty Yip rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Sean Mathis
Sean Mathis rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Dwight Mckay
Dwight Mckay rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »