Start by marking “The Avram Davidson Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Avram Davidson Treasury

The Avram Davidson Treasury

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Avram Davidson, author of such classics as "Or All the Seas with Oysters", "Help! I am Dr. Morris Goldpepper", "Golem", and "My Boyfriend's Name Is Jello", was widely regarded as one of the most outstanding authors of short fantasy fiction in our time. Now his estate and his friends have brought together a definitive collection of his finest work, each story introduced by ...more
Published September 15th 1998 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Avram Davidson Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avram Davidson Treasury

Dmitry
Suppose you are the insomniac son of the world's funniest, smartest rabbi, who tells you bed time stories to get you to go to sleep, except they are so good, you never do. (And if that's not your idea of the best possible collection of American science fiction and fantasy short stories, I don't know how to help you.)
Aaron Arnold
An excellent collection of short stories, of which even the ones which aren't very compelling are always well-written. Davidson has a great range, and can go from Wodehousian parodies to respectable sci-fi seemingly effortlessly. Each story is preceded by a brief note from a staggering range of influential authors (Silverberg, Gibson, LeGuin, Bradbury, Ellison...); he was admired by what seems like half the world. While a bunch of the encomia don't offer much insight, a fair number help provide ...more
Brian Steed
Davidson wrote some of the richest and most satisfying stories I’ve ever read. It’s shameful that he’s not given the renown he deserves, probably because of the science fiction elements that season his stories. It’s a short-sighted bias, as his stories are far more mature & witty & intelligent than most of the output by mainstream authors.
Gentlyferal
Contains many of my favorites, including “The Golem,” “Dagon” (which I did not appreciate when I first read it in my early teens), “The Affair at Lahore Cantonment,” (a Kiplingesque story similar to, but easier to read than, “Wireless”; and a reworking of “Danny Deever”), “The Goobers,” and “Sacheverell”.
Emlymom
Feb 08, 2015 Emlymom is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Story One: My Boyfriend's Name is Jello
I later read that this is not a good starting story. Difficult to understand, I turned to the commentary of others online to see what it was really about. Apparently it is a stream-of-consciousness story about someone (man? boy?) who has a health condition but finds power in the jump rope songs of three girls outside playing. I will read it again with this in mind to see if I see things more clearly.
Jim Gore
One of my all-time favourite collections. The stories fall into several different genres and are always surprising. Each story is preceded by an introduction written by an important writer in the field. As others have stated in their reviews, he was obviously held in high regard by many authors: truly, a writer's writer.

The first time I read this book, I deliberately read each story before reading its introduction. I wanted to read each with a completely open mind, not with any preconceptions d
Andrea Janes
I think life from now on will be basically be divided into two epochs: "Before Avram Davidson" and "After Avram Davidson."
Riju Ganguly
Science Fiction (and fantasy, and horror, and ....) can encompass several kinds of work, and that becomes evident if one takes a long look at the oeuvre of an author spanning decades. This book takes such a long look, and shows a great writer who started with lots of brightness, but eventually succumbed to darkness & pain. Not all of these stories were to my liking, but that must not stop you from reading these lost & forgotten works.
Williwaw
May 20, 2012 Williwaw marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I don't understand the few stories in this book that I chose to read, at random. It's disappointing. I bought this book because Davidson wrote one of my favorite stories ever: "Or All the Seas With Oysters."

For example I don't understand these stories: "Sacheverell," or "The Tail-Tied Kings."

Someone, please explain them to me!
Robert Sagirs
More clever and witty than profound or speculative. Prefer my science fiction and fantasy a bit more serious. Very stylish writer, which I suppose is why so many fellow writers shower him with praise.
Londonmabel Mabel
One of the best short story writers, in or out of the genre. Totally weird, original, sometimes creepy, and always surprising stories.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Raskol
Raskol marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Tim Poston
Tim Poston marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Malapata
Malapata marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Rachel Whitley
Rachel Whitley marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Tal179
Tal179 is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Benny Morduchowitz
Benny Morduchowitz is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Majestrum: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 1)
  • Innocents Aboard: New Fantasy Stories
  • The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith
  • Rumpole à la Carte
  • Store of the Worlds: The Stories of Robert Sheckley
  • I, Robot: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Last Plane to Heaven: The Final Collection
  • Neveryóna (Return to Nevèrÿon, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Aegypt (The Aegypt Cycle, #1)
  • The Course of the Heart
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • How Tom Beat Captain Najork and His Hired Sportsmen
  • D.A.
  • Songs of Earth and Power
  • Liavek (Liavek, #1)
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • Portraits of His Children
Avram Davidson was an American Jewish writer of fantasy fiction, science fiction, and crime fiction, as well as the author of many stories that do not fit into a genre niche. He won a Hugo Award and three World Fantasy Awards in the science fiction and fantasy genre, a World Fantasy Life Achievement award, and a Queen's Award and an Edgar Award in the mystery genre. Davidson edited The Magazine of ...more
More about Avram Davidson...
Adventures in Unhistory: Conjectures on the Factual Foundations of Several Ancient Legends The Phoenix and  the Mirror Or All the Seas with Oysters The Other Nineteenth Century The Enquiries of Doctor Eszterhazy