The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)

The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The seventh novel based on the television program finds Jessica Fletcher on a visit to a reputedly haunted castle in Scotland, where a local lass is found murdered in same way as a legendary witch.
Published April 1st 1997 by Penguin Group US

Harry
I have heard people say this is the best Donald Bain MSW book. I disagree. For a murder mystery, very little sleuthing goes on. A body is found, and the characters continue their holiday in a perfectly happy pattern. The beginning in London had me enthralled...but it was like a little episode of it's own; nothing else in the book had anything to do with it. It was a satisfying read, but not a traditional MSW book. There was hardly any cloak and dagger activity. People kept getting injured and at...more
Chelsea
NOTE: This book is good to read around Halloween. It is scary enough without being a horror book for those out there, like me, who don't like horror stories.
Susan
Love this series of books. Lighthearted and entertaining.
Christine
Emmy
This one was just okay for me. I will start off by saying that the author really has no clue what London or Scotland are like, not the differences between them.

There are a lot of issues with the plot, besides it being *boring*, this is one of the most boring, uninspiring books in the series.

To start the beginning has a totally unrealistic scene involving the tower of London. I'll avoid spoilers, but it involves situations that are *not* going to happen at the tower of London, let alone in Londo...more
Jason DeGroot
Aug 18, 2008 Jason DeGroot rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Hillary Grice
Shelves: crime-mystery, 2008
Spoilers in this review. Blech. I didn't think I'd like this one anyway, so it wasn't a surprise to find that I didn't. I've been spoiled by the works of Nevada Barr and Sue Grafton, and you can't help but compare those strong female detectives with the weak WEAK characterization of Jessica Fletcher. The dialogue is ridiculously hackneyed and the characters are written amateurishly and in some cases ridiculously. For instance, when Jessica is at the Tower of London to witness a hostage stand-off...more
Karol
Mom
Anita
I loved this story. It had great suspense and mystery. The one thing that wasn't clear to me was the ghost. Jessica stated that it was a figment of her imagination. That part to me was unbelievable.
Paul Lunger
This 1997 installment in the "Murder, She Wrote" series takes our mystery writer to Scotland & the village of Wick where we have ghosts & of course murder. Bain gives us a chance to spend time with a few of the overseas characters (especially George Sutherland) that he's introduced in the past. The story itself really isn't anything extraordinary & an early scene in London really doesn't do anything for the plot either. If anything this is just a bit of sub-standard storytelling for...more
Hannah
The series can be hit or miss, but this earlier installment was entertaining.
Suzanne
Fun memories of London!
Now, I need to visit Scotland (w/out the murders!)
Gobnait
Sue
Enjoyed being at Sutherland's Wick, Scotland family castle with regulars from Cabot Cove!
Geri
This is pretty light reading.
A little more romance for Jess
and George in this edition.
Sallie
I always enjoyed these tv shows, so I thought I'd see what one of the books was like. I enjoyed it, but I had some quibbles with renaming of some of the characters and having sheriff Mort saying "Ayuh" - he wasn't from Maine, so he shouldn't be using Maineisms IMHO.
Kristin Stone
As usual, a fun Murder, She Wrote read. I love that these mysteries are exciting without being gruesome. The characters are charming, and the keep you interesting in what's happening to them. I have never been disappointed in a Murder, She Wrote mystery!
Stacey Woods
This is - I'm sorry to say - the worst book I've ever read. The dialogue is terrible, and Jessica Fletcher is nothing like the woman she is in the TV show - just shows how awesome Angela Lansbury is I suppose. Please avoid this book if you value your sanity!
Cindy
I love this series. It is like bubble gum, fun and chewy and totally non complicated. I enjoy the characters and this setting in Scotalnd with all the Galic words was like taking a little trip.
Julie
it is what it is - a book written like the tv show. i happen to like it. others might not. light, cozy mystery category taking place in the norther highlands
Sarah Jowett
Still love these books... a very nice change from the typical thrillers of today that try to shock with more brutal crimes than just a good story.
April
The time of my beach/summer reading is coming to a close, but how I do love a nice, easy read on a rainy afternoon.
Barbz
I loved this one! Such a good mystery and it really embraces the Scottish atmosphere.
Elaine
Good for a light read, when you want something quick and easy and fun.
Lisa
I enjoy this series and this was as good as the rest.
Kathryn
"Murder She Wrote Jessica Fletcher, Donald Bain "
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
The Women's Myste...: #8 The Highland Fling Murders 1 5 Aug 09, 2013 11:46PM
Mystery 1 4 Feb 27, 2008 12:08PM
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Pages of Sin (A Bibliophile Mystery, #4.5)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Saks & Violins (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #22)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Skating on the Edge (Rebecca Robbins, #3)
  • High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)
Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and published by the New American Library. The author credit for the novels is shared with the fic...more
More about Jessica Fletcher...
Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1) Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2) A Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11) Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3) Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)