Start by marking “Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other” as Want to Read:
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other

Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other (Osho Insights for a new way of living )

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
"Hit-and-run" relationships have become common in our society as it has grown more rootless, less tied to traditional family structures, and more accepting of casual sex. But at the same time, there arises an undercurrent of feeling that something is missing-a quality of intimacy.

This quality has very little to do with the physical, though sex is certainly one possible doo
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published December 14th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Intimacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intimacy

Karthick Rajan R
This book shows how the real intimacy should be...intimacy can be shown by removing the mask (ie)our body language shows our character in some other form but if we go insight within our self we can recognize our real face what we really think inside and show our false face to the outer world. "The real intimacy comes by removing the mask and showing our real face to everyone.removing the boundary level between the group or persons"

Really everyone should read this book.
nice quotes and sayings are
Narendra Singh
Dec 18, 2008 Narendra Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who are in search of peace
Recommended to Narendra by: I my self find it by its name
This is book i was looking for. this book makes you comfortable wiht your self. it shows how unique you are.
Sean Goh
Jun 24, 2016 Sean Goh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes below are interesting excerpts from the book I underlined, I do not necessarily agree with all of them, but its good food for thought.
____________
One of your most basic needs is to be needed. But nobody wants to accept that "it is my basic need to be needed, to be loved, to be accepted.
The first step is to accept yourself in your totality. Once you have accepted yourself as you are, the fear of intimacy will disappear.

Self knowledge is only possible in deep aloneness. Ordinarily whatever w
Soham Chakraborty
Well, I am not much moved here. This was a decent read, not much adjective, not much noun. Spoken mainly in verb. Certain points of Osho make absolute sense - they are truly words of a sage. But certain other sections, specially talks on the structure of society and daily movement of an insipid life didn't cut deeply into me. However, the central theme is recurrent. And that is you have to drop your fear, your inhibitions, your ego to love someone deeply, so deeply that the lover and the beloved ...more
hope mohammed
لن استطيع ان احتمل اكثر .. من البداية وهو يتكلم عن الحب والانفتاح على الاخر وتسييب الامور بشكل عام يقول على الانسان ان يعبر عن فرحته وقت الفرح وايضا عند الغضب عليه ان ينفس عن غضبه !.. ويعني ازعل كسر الدنيا عادي .. لايؤمن بالاديان كما هو واضح جدا وياله الجنس البشري كما هو ايضا واضح بين السطور اسلوبه عاطفي بشدة جعلني اكره نفسي وخاصة انا اتجنب هالاسلوب لاني اجده رخيص جدا ومنافق بشده . وافضل الحقائق بدل هالاسلوب الذي اراه مخالف بشدة لها .. وايضا غير محتمل وكاذب يعني كاني اكذب ع نفسي وانا راح اتغير و ...more
Carmen Aguilo
Aug 17, 2014 Carmen Aguilo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Have you ever felt uncomfortable with yourself causing problems in your relationship? Have you ever had the feeling of not being able to move forward with your partner due to past experiences? Have you ever had a feeling of uncertainty towards the future with the person you care about? This book gives you a good spiritual explanation of why you might feel that way while teaching you how to get rid of those insecurities.

The perspective osho provides in this books increases a sense of awareness a
zin taskiran
Jan 21, 2016 zin taskiran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
this is my second read from Osho after "Freedom". loads of words, full of wisdom for sure. the reason i liked it might be the timing. It just came at the right time, when I needed to hear some of the words the most. yes, there are lots of repeating sentences or ideas but from spiritual perspective, you need it I think. great insights on "seeking", "being ready to become ordinary", "dropping ideals", "being weak vs being strong".
Quicksilver Quill
Intimacy is a fine and enlightening book by Osho. As is often the case, in his exploration of one theme he examines many different facets to reveal the whole. In his discussion of intimacy, he emphasizes the importance of: loving and accepting yourself before you can be loved and accepted by others; abandoning the mind and the dead past; living in this moment authentically; celebrating your own uniqueness; and trusting in yourself.

In achieving true intimacy with another and revealing yourself wi
Eleanore
Jul 12, 2016 Eleanore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
"So become happier. Use the time that you have--and there is no need to think about the future; the present is enough. Use this moment not in worrying but in living. Small things can become so beautiful. A little caring, a little sharing, that's all life is." This is the first work of Osho's I've read, but I know it won't be the last. I can see people assuming this book is all about how to relate to others, but really it's about how to learn to love and recognize yourself, because doing that fir ...more
Alina
Jul 06, 2014 Alina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would be a nice advice if we lived in ideal world where my children would get zero chance of falling under bad influence of TV, friends raised up by video games etc. Osho is just one of those sellers who is selling his vision, which can be wrong or right.
Abeer Matbuli
Jun 10, 2014 Abeer Matbuli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
الزهرة ضعيفة، كن كالزهرة، لا كالصخرة قويا وقاسيا.
هل ترى تلك الشجرة العملاقة؟ لا أحد يقطعها لأن أغصانها جافة لا فائدة منها، كن عديم النفع.
وتحرر..تحرر من كل شيء، من الدين ومن المجتمع. إذا كنت غاضبا فلا تكبت غضبك، اصرخ وابكِ لأن أحدهم أخذ لعبتك. اشعر بالحرية، اشعر بالحب، وتأمل. الفراشة جميلة، النهر يجري، اجر معه. لا تضع أهدافا لحياتك، لأنك ستشعر باضطراب ولن تحيا. عش كالخراف، كل ونم مطمئنا، اشعر بالحياة، انها جميلة. ولا تحسن من نفسك، "يجب أن أكون أفضل" تجاهل هذه الفكرة، اقبل نفسك كما هي. وكن أنانيا.
MyNguyen1709
May 26, 2016 MyNguyen1709 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Khi đoc Thân mât cua Osho, tôi co cam giac ông noi nhiêu điêu ma chưa ai noi vơi tôi như vây, ông day tôi nhưng điêu ma chưa ai day tôi như vây. Tôi thây ro hơn nhưng mâu thuân trong chinh con ngươi minh, tôi nhin ban thân minh ro hơn, nhưng manh vơ như đang kêt nôi lai.

Nhiêu ngươi noi nêu yêu thưưong, nêu chiêu chuông ban thân minh la tôi lôi. Va nhiêu khi ngươi ta lam điêu minh thich ma gia đinh, xa hôi lai không vui, lâp tưc trong long minh nay sinh mâu thuân, niêm vui không con tron ven. Nh
Rashaelhady
Jan 20, 2015 Rashaelhady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rasha-s-list
ربما أسم الكتاب يجعلك تتصور أنه سيدور حول العلاقة الجسدية..لكن أشو اراد ان يبين أهمية خاصة للتعبير عن المشاعر الدفينة والمرهفة، التي تحتاج بطبيعة الحال إلى طرف آخر يوليها العناية التي تستحق.

وأنك إذا اردت بناء علاقة حميمية متينة مع اﻷخر يجب عليك اولا ان تفهم نفسك جيدا وتصل لدرجة كبيرة من التصالح معها (علاقة حميمية مع ذاتك).

ولأن العلاقة مع اﻷخر ليس لها معاير ثابتة " وكلما التقى شخصان، ولد عالم جديد. لذلك، فإن هذا الالتقاء هو ظاهرة جديدة تأتي إلى الوجود فيتغير من خلالها الشخصان ويتحولان إلي حميمان
Vineeth K K
This is the work which took me over 1 month to complete, so much to think, to laugh, and to absorb..

Energy pouring beyond its meaning :)
Lizz D
May 25, 2016 Lizz D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thường thì mình không thích mấy quyển sách dạng "cookbook" vì đối với mình thật khó để dạy cho ai đó cách để họ sống, mỗi người có cái nhìn khác nhau, môi trường sống khác nhau. Hơn nữa là chưa kể mấy quyển đó thường hay lí thuyết lòng vòng nhai đi nhai lại và cả khó hiểu nữa. Quyển này đối với mình nó cũng lòng vòng như vậy, nhưng mà bỏ qua cái lòng vòng đó thì có nhiều điều khá là hay ho. Quyển sách rất ý nghĩa, mình thấy cái ý này là mình tâm đắc nhất: ai cũng muốn được yêu thương nhưng không ...more
Anna Bitz
Apr 29, 2008 Anna Bitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I realized that I have the ability to achieve a lot of self-control and self-actualization,without the help of others.
Abhibandu Kafle
Apr 20, 2016 Abhibandu Kafle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helps one realize how afraid are we, and pushes us to accept ourselves as we are. This was one of the most awe-inspiring book I have ever read.

A part of excerpt from the book, that I would love to rephrase:
People always believe that they are different and the very notion that they are unique makes them ordinary. When one drops the feat of being ordinary, and accepts himself as an ordinary person, he becomes extraordinary.
Bayartsetseg Bela
Osho's books put you in a next level of understanding and make you think more about your being. There is one ancient proverb which says 'When the student is ready, the teacher appears'. "Intimacy" is definetely one of the better-read books, recommended to those who is ready to question about being, loving, being loved, being intimate, trusting and being happy. May it help to understand yourself more profoundly.
Cristina Esanu
O carte plină de aberații... Osho singur se contrazice în unele pasaje, ne recomandă să fim nimeni pentru ca să fim fericiți, deși este adevărat că un om fără griji e un om fericit, dar totuși aș vrea să văd cum am exista toți într-o societate unde nimeni nu face nimic util... sunt desigur unele idei, care merită ascultate și urmate, dar majoritatea.....
Varun Upadhyay
Dec 17, 2014 Varun Upadhyay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teaches that how two people can live together for years and then die without having an ounce of intimacy between them.It teaches a meaning of intimacy which is beyond physical.
Pavel Evstigneev
One of greatest books I ever read. It show be a beauty of being myself and being close. Teach me how to be weak and happy
Vikram Devatha
Mar 30, 2015 Vikram Devatha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a speaker, what a book.. Amazing clarity and perspective.. A must for anyone exploring "intimacy" in relationships
Chinmay K
Sep 24, 2015 Chinmay K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Amazing. The real meaning of intimacy and love explained beautifully. Osho you were a God's gift!
Rab3a99
Jul 19, 2016 Rab3a99 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جيد لحب وتقدير الذات وإن كان لي تحفظ على بعض الأفكار
Amit
Jun 02, 2015 Amit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love
A very thoughtful book. Simple language to open real insights.
Sherri
Jul 21, 2016 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Chintan Gundarania
Read this book ! NOW
Jojo A
Mar 27, 2011 Jojo A rated it really liked it
Through his writings he is more of a wonderful person that a writer. His words are happy and inpiring and well wrapped in his writing style. It's farily genuine and obvious that whatever he is writing coming from his personality and his heart.

The book is somehow pyschic and if you ever felt lost in the middle of the lines, re-read it and you will get the meaning profound.

R.I.P Osho.
Manish Dev
Be choosy of what you take from this.
  • Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life
  • The Flowering of Human Consciousness
  • Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong
  • The Bhagavadgita
  • The Path of Prosperity
  • Cultivating the Mind of Love: The Practice of Looking Deeply in the Mahayana Buddhist Tradition
  • Marianne Williamson on Relationships: Romantic Delusions and Friendship
  • Freedom from the Known
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Words That Change Minds: Mastering the Language of Influence
  • Wen-Tzu
  • Kali: The Feminine Force
  • Wild Feminine: Finding Power, Spirit, & Joy in the Root of the Female Body
  • The Book of Mirdad: The Strange Story of a Monastery Which Was Once Called the Ark
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...

Osho Insights for a new way of living (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Awareness: The Key to Living in Balance
  • Joy: The Happiness That Comes from Within
  • Maturity: The Responsibility of Being Oneself
  • Meditation: The First and Last Freedom

“Love is the goal, life is the journey.” 63 likes
“When two lovers are really open to each other, when they are not afraid of each other and not hiding anything from each other, that is intimacy. When they can say each and everything without any fear that the other will be offended or hurt.… If the lover thinks the other will be offended, then the intimacy is not yet deep enough. Then it is a kind of arrangement, which can be broken by anything. But when two lovers start feeling that there is nothing to hide and everything can be said, and the trust has come to such a depth where even if you don’t say it the other is going to know, then they start becoming one.” 6 likes