Start by marking “Eden (The Eden Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eden (The Eden Trilogy, #1)

Eden (The Eden Trilogy #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,362 ratings  ·  485 reviews
Before the Evolution there was TorBane: technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter. It had the ability to grow new organs and limbs, to heal the world. Until it evolved out of control and spread like the common cold. The machine took over, the soul vanished, and the Bane were born. The Bane won't stop until every last person has been infected. With less than ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 408 pages
Published March 6th 2011 by Keary Taylor Books (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerVanish by Sophie Jordan
best "eye" on the cover
10th out of 657 books — 1,512 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothMatched by Ally CondieThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsWither by Lauren DeStefanoIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
Best Covers of YA Dystopian Novels
15th out of 136 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Reynje

From Variety.com: ‘a dystopian thriller described as a cross between "The Hunger Games" and "The Terminator."’

O RLY?

I expect a little hyperbole in these blurbs, so I did read that with a grain of salt. However, I do feel that this book was a case of a good idea that was ultimately let down by its execution. While the opening piqued (more on this word later) my interest, I found it steadily waned as the plot progressed.

I’ll be intentionally vague in this review in the interests of keepi
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I originally read Eden when I was starting off as a reviewer. I rated it as 5 stars at the time, as it was definitely one of the stronger books I had read during that time period. Reading The Bane from Netgalley, it is a similar story but a different experience. Still enjoyable, but perhaps some of the surprise element is gone now that I've already read Eden.

What I liked: The protagonist, Eve, is incredible--strong, determined, and although part robot, achingly human (which she discovers through
Sheri
Eve doesn't remember the time before the Fall. She showed up in Eden with the clothes on her back and has lived there since. The people of Eden were her family, yet she somehow always knew she was different from them. Eve was tougher than most and unemotional but couldn't quite figure out what it was that made her different…and then West showed up.

I liked the author's writing style and the development of the characters. Eve was pretty easy to like.
She did some stupid things when it came to Wes
Ella Whiddett
K
Romance/Action-Adventure with the emphasis on romance. Can you say, "love triangle"? I'm not a fan of pure romance but thankfully there was a large portion of non-love-triangle plot which made the story bearable.

Good things first: The world Taylor created was well drawn and the story moved along nicely. It was engaging and intriguing and I never felt bored even though the characters rambled along for most of the book before I had any clue as to where the story was going. That didn't bother me t
Rose
Initial reaction: Not a bad start for Keary Taylor's Eden Trilogy. I think "The Bane" was well worth reading as a dystopian narrative, but I had issues with it for the amounts of infodumping and predictability of certain measures without vetting some of the character and emotional qualities of the story. It didn't quite hit me entirely with emotional investment, though I was propelled through the narrative to figure what happened next. Hard to say where this trilogy will go, but I think I'd like ...more
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
Aug 23, 2013 Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules
A version of this review also appears at: A Match Made in Heaven

This was great! It reminded me a lot of The Immortal Rules. I didnt like The Immortal Rules as much as most people. It was still good, but I prefer Eden. There was a band of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world. The main girl, Eve, is different from the rest of the survivors. They travel to a safe haven for humans, which was called Eden in The Immortal Rules. Although in this Eden is the name of their group, not their destination.
Amber Skye
Picking up Eden was a little unexpected for me. I was in the middle of reading another book, but when I stumbled across this one and randomly began to read the first page, I was sucked in and forced to finish the entire novel. Everything about the book entranced me- the cover, the premise, and the characters.

I am thrilled to say that I have found yet another original, captivating dysptopian story. The world as we know it has ceased to exist, leaving only a handful of survivors struggling to main
Hmr28
I LOVED this book. Although (without spoilers), I would have preferred if Eve had ended up with the other possibility! I thought it was very well written, delved into some difficult topics, (lifeboat scenarios-all over the place), sacrifice, morality, ethics, etc. I can't believe that a traditional publisher did not snap this up, but boy am I glad I was able to get it for the bargain price of .99. It was so good that I immediately bought all of her other books, although they are not dystopians. ...more
Katy
The only reason I gave it four stars (I'm actually giving it 4.75 stars without rounding up) is because I'm SOOO mad at the way it ended. I really am. Oh Keary Taylor, why did you have to do that to me?

Ok, setting that issue aside, I LOVED this book. The book had bits and pieces of other novels I've read like Tankborn (which I read the ARC for), Hunger Games and a few other dystopia books, even a little bit of Mortal Instruments. But the story kept me intrigued the whole time as I flipped throug
Trudi
I'm sorry but bad, bad, baaaaad book. Way too much teen angst over "who should I choose?" -- the nice, safe boy? or the boy who makes my toes curl (and my genetically modified robot parts short out?)

Hmmmmm.... Do I care??? NO! Too much "telling" not enough "showing". Characters fall flat on the page, the tension is superficial, and the "dystopian" circumstances are a joke. Tepid, derivative teen romance packaged and sold as a futuristic dystopian drama. It is not.

Best thing about it is the cove
Samantha Young
I know a book has been a great one for me when I’ve become so fully immersed in the world created that I feel somewhat disorientated when I’m reluctantly pulled back into the real world when the story comes to its inevitable end.
Keary Taylor’s Eden is one such book for me.
I picked it up hoping to get an hour of reading in before I started working and before I knew it hours had flown by and I hadn’t gotten around to my own work. Oops.

Eden isn’t just a great indie novel, Eden is a great novel full
Lily Ha
Wow. This was disappointing.
Before I get any further... you need to know. THERE. ARE. TYPOS. Many of them, actually. Since when was doctor abbreviated Br? Since when did a published author mistake their, there, and they're? Since when was the past tense of dragging "drug"?! UGH. Pushing past the typos, I expected at least the plot and characters to be decent. Well...

First of all, the "love triangle". Eve, the main character, switches between her two love interests approximately every three hour
Misty Baker
I am a tomboy.

Ok, that is a bit of an understatement. Let me correct that.

I am a horror obsessed, robot zombie junkie 14 year old boy stuck inside of a 30 year old housewife’s body.

Yeah, that’s a little better.

Anyways…because I am a tomboy I sometimes appreciate things WAY outside of the girly zone. Like ACTION. (stay with me…I have a point) That’s not to say I don’t appreciate a good love story (I do have those stubborn girly parts and like to peruse the Internet for steamy pictures of Ben Bass
Kristin
Jun 24, 2011 Kristin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, YA Romance Fans
I have many criticisms of this book but I find writing this difficult because I don’t want this entire review to come off completely negative but I feel like it probably will. Never heard of this author before but I was willing to give it a try based on a promising description and a good price (can’t beat .99). I liked that she started off the book with a bit of action and I felt like the book moved along at a good clip for the most part, keeping my attention. Even though there were things that ...more
Nicole
Brandie
Melody Costa
I was drawn to Eden because of the awesome cover and all of the rave reviews about it. Also, the story line was intriguing. I mean, who wouldn't love a teen read about a post-apocalyptic world overrun with techno zombies?!?!?!
However, I was sorely disappointed. The only way I finished was by skimming the last half of the book. Seriously, just read 1 sentence on each page after the first 20 pages and you can get the gist of the whole book.
The development of the character Eve was awful. She wasn
Mei
Jan 27, 2014 Mei rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Very interesting!

It reminded me of Joss Ware's Envy Chronicles, but here we have one protegonist: Eve.

She's a very interesting character. I loved her growing up and her eveolving into an amost complete human being.

She's very young and in a way very naive, but at the same time she's capable and strong (not only physically). Her moral compass is right on spot and her humanity is shining trough the story. Even when she's less than human she's more human than others! Great!

The story is interesting a
Kathleen
Really loved this story. Yes, the love triangle got a little annoying. Didn't Eve have bigger problems to worry about? But regardless it had really well developed characters and a really creepy world that will probably give me nightmares. That is not a bad thing.
Christie
The first thing that grabbed my attention was Eden’s cover. So creepy, but so very cool! After reading the synopsis I knew this was a book I had to read. As a huge fan of any doomsday type of premise I couldn’t pass this one up! Human beings consumed by their robot like parts who then seek out other humans until they eradicate any remaining flesh on the face of the earth. Yes, please! This is the stuff nightmares are made of and for some reason I just can’t get enough.

When I sat down to read Ede
YA Reads Book Reviews
First, let me draw your attention to the incredibly beautiful cover. It was impossible for this cover not to catch my eye. As a self-published author, the cover design was left up to Keary Taylor and she truly did an amazing job with an image that leaps off the shelves. And now, onto the review. Eve doesn’t remember anything before the Fall. As far as she knows, her life began when she was thirteen, found by Avian, Sarah, and Tye. The three of them are the only family Eve knows and together they ...more
Martha
Scientists developed TorBane, technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter, in the hope to cure people with previously incurable problems, such as heart failure. However, the technology soon took over the person, turning them into cyborgs who wanted nothing more than to “infect” the rest of humanity. Now there are few humans left and the Bane are steadily hunting them down. The narrator, Eve, has no relocation of her previous life. She just woke up one day in a camp, named Eden, and ...more
Trisha Wolfe
This is a fascinating premise. I love Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian, and this is a perfect blend of both. The world building in EDEN was amazing. From the first chapter, I pictured Eden vividly, and loved the idea of a small world they created and maintained that they had to keep moving to outrun the Fallen. It’s original and fresh.

Eve was difficult to connect with at first, but after something was revealed (no spoilers) I understood her better, and I truly sympathized with her. What I loved ab
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

Note: Just to avoid any confusion, this book was originally published under the title Eden and was republished in March 2013 under the title The Bane.

In the future, a technology called TorBane––a combination of human DNA and cybernetic matter––is able to fix all medical problems, from curing diseases to regenerating organs and limbs. But then the cybertechnology goes out of control, and starts taking over people's bodies and minds unt
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Keary Taylor Books and Netgalley.)
Eve lives in a post-apocalyptic society, in which humans are infected by cybernetics technology and turned into robots. These infected people are known as ‘The Bane’, and their main purpose seems to be to infect as many humans as possible until there are none left.

Eve lives in a small society called Eden, hidden in the countryside outside of a large city. There are only
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
A version of this review also appears at: A Match Made in Heaven

I loved this just as much the second time around, having already read Eden, if not more. At first I wasnt enjoying it as much because it was focusing mostly on the love-triangle, and I know how that turns out. But as it went on the story picked up and dragged me back in, plus there were subtle differences that had me feeling like I did the first time.

The backstory about how the Bane came to be was more thorough (the name the Bane i
Dianne
The Bane is NOT just another ‘end of the world as we know it-confused love triangle-struggle to survive’ book! Keary Taylor has added her own brand of style to this tale! Eve can’t remember life before she wandered into the colony of Eden, a group of survivors on the run from the evil created in the name of science. Technology has fused human DNA with cybernetic matter, enabling the human body to regenerate limbs, have superhuman abilities. But something went wrong, the machine took over, the so ...more
Abby
Jun 21, 2012 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of post apocalypse and love triangles
I got this book on kindle a while ago because I think it was one of the free/super discounted books. Anyway I did not love nor hate this book. Actually, I loved AND hated it. I've found that a pros and cons list is the best way to organize my thoughts.
Pros
1. The setting. I was hooked in the beginning about the post apocalyptic world where 98% of the population are infected into being mutant robot zombies, determined to make the rest of the population mutant robot zombies.

2. The Protagonist. Eve
Jenny
I really enjoyed this dystopian read! Its has a sci-fi theme to it, and it made me think a little of Partials by Dan Wells or The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa just in some of the world building parallels.

The Bane are part machine, part human. The way the book describes the cyborgs, it almost made me think of The Terminator. Humanity is almost beat at the time the novel opens. Eve is part of "Eden", a settlement of about 35 humans that have banded together over the last 4 years for survival. S
ugh.... 2 28 Apr 10, 2014 09:33AM
Shut Up & Read: The Bane by Keary Taylor 36 14 Mar 29, 2014 02:13PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Bane by Keary Taylor/Start Date:July 6th 13 20 Jul 10, 2013 05:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: Review of rewritten book is associated with wrong version 3 36 Jul 03, 2013 01:54PM
Eden vs. The Bane 1 30 Mar 08, 2013 05:16AM
  • Grounded
  • 20 Years Later
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Scored
  • The Pearl Wars (Skyship Academy, #1)
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • Neva
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Until the End (Quarantined, #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • Ashes, Ashes (Ashes, Ashes, #1)
3420702
Keary Taylor grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now resides on a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and their two young children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night. She is the author of THE EDEN TRILOGY, the FALL OF AN ...more
More about Keary Taylor...
Branded (Fall of Angels, #1) What I Didn't Say Forsaken (Fall of Angels, #2) Vindicated (Fall of Angels, #3) Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)

“If love dies, that's when we've all truly died.” 30 likes
“Just don't take forever," he said as he stood. "If I've got miles of pain before me I'd rather start walking them sooner than later.” 9 likes