Start by marking “Philanthrocapitalism” as Want to Read:
Philanthrocapitalism

Philanthrocapitalism

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  25 reviews
For philanthropists of the past, charity was often a matter of simply giving money away. For the philanthrocapitalists-the new generation of billionaires who are reshaping the way they give-it's like business. Largely trained in the corporate world, these "social investors" are using big-business-style strategies and expecting results and accountability to match. Bill Gate ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Philanthrocapitalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philanthrocapitalism

Ankur Maniar
This is like an encyclopedia of the world of philanthrophy. You cant help but admire the amazing work which is being done by billionaires like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Rockfeller Foundation, Oprah Winfrey, Rockstar Bono and many others. Amongst all the terrible newsflow that we hear these days, this book gives you an insight about the tremendous goodness that prevails in this world. The capitalists, mostly portrayed as evil are the ones who are trying to make a difference by adopting a busine ...more
Kressel Housman
What an inspiring book! I knew a little of the philanthropy and activism of such famous folks as Bill Gates, Bono, Bill Clinton, and Oprah Winfrey, but this book gave real detail. The biggest surprises were that Goldman Sachs, one of the biggest "devils" in the financial crisis, has a solid history of philanthropy. One of its founders was a big supporter of the NAACP! Also interesting was the Robin Hood Foundation, a foundation run by hedge fund managers to fight poverty in NYC. Like with Social ...more
Nora
Bishop is very naive in some ways- he definitely sees through rose-tinted glasses, believing the super-rich are the potential saviors of the modern world. The book lacks any kind of depth of understanding of the other sides of the "philanthrocapitalist" equation- billionaires don't grow on trees and profits don't just happen- in most cases they are made by the exploitation of other people and/or the environment.
Austin Carroll Keeley
A decent introduction to the giving patterns of the 1%, but this book has several major failings. First, published in 2008 the book cannot take into account the changes in philanthropy due to the financial crisis, nor can it recognize the general population's frustration with the super rich. Second, the book's central thesis- the rich can make a big difference by giving away their money- isn't exactly rocket science. Bishop and Green rely too much on name dropping and a few case studies/intervie ...more
Sally
Perhaps because I just finished Zissner's "On Writing Well," I couldn't help but notice that this book needs a good edit. In particular, I almost stopped reading it right near the end when I found I just couldn't take another use of the word "whilst" when "while" would suffice. WHY??? Why would anyone EVER use the word "whilst," let alone OVER AND OVER AGAIN?? I sometimes found it hard to concentrate on the content when all those "whilsts" kept popping up all over the place. Also, there were a n ...more
Todd
A book with some interesting stories, but really a book by liberals for liberals. The general tone is repeated amazement that capitalism and businessmen could actually help others.

They also misrepresent research showing that conservatives give more to charity. Quoting Arthur Brooks, they note that those who are religious give more to charity. What the authors ignore, however, is Brooks' primary conclusion, that conservatives give more.

At the end of the book, the authors demand that billionaires
Shauna
I'm kind of meh on this. The discussion of public-private partnership throughout the book was useful, but the notion that massive accumulation of wealth can undo the harm of, um, massive accumulation of wealth gets only a superficial glance at best.

1. "Generous" cannot be measured by the volume of money someone donates. Generous is a measure of sacrifice, not abundance. Today's ultrarich are not more generous than the rest of the population - they just have a crapload more money.

2. The idea that
Andreia
Jun 07, 2014 Andreia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Glenn Williams
The authors have conducted and analyzed lengthy interviews with social entrepreneurs, wealthy individuals, successful business leaders and high profile global figures to substantiate a significant relationship between wealth entrepreneurs and business leaders taking the initiative in creating solutions to solving social problems.

This is a great read for anyone working in the NGO and/or fundraising world who are wanting to understand the relationship between capitalism and funding solutions to so
Michael
Reads like the Reaganomics of philanthropic capitalism where it's up to the superrich to drive social good.

Many great points about the merits of applying capitalistic principles to nfp work, but I think loses sight of and offers little in the way of applying culture change at all levels of society.

Also, they seem to have a huge man-crush on Bill Gates. Not that the man isn't crush worthy for his efforts, but the book may have instead be titled:

"How Bill Gates will save the world with money."
Ajay Menon
Honestly I'm not certain how I feel about this book. It's certainly interesting, and the history is good, but now that I'm finished, I'm not sure that I learned anything new from it.

It is enjoyable though, you can tell while reading it that it was authored by a journalist, it kind of feels like a magazine piece if that makes any sense.
Katie
This book was well written, but too boring for me. It was an assigned book club book for my office, but we all agreed we didn't want to be reading this sort of thing on our down time. I don't think anyone finished it. The half I read was well done, and I liked the inside scoop. If I'm ever heinously bored I'll try and finish it.
Phil
This is chock a block full of interesting data and examples of people or organisations doing 'stuff', but I found it a bit hard going. I know it is non-fiction, but a stronger narrative and possibly leaving some of the research in the drawer could have helped.
Justin
Good overall summary about the changing role of philanthropy today, and excellent research regarding current main players in the field. Probably a must read if this is your field. If not, you can take it or leave it.
Rachel
Not a page-turner, but interesting and informative. I read the 2008 version, which felt a little dated because the book relies heavily on facts and figures.
Cheryl
It was nice to read about historical, cultural figures; and the trend towards more business "rigor" in philanthropy. The book is more survey than analysis.
Brandon Steenson
I really enjoyed this book. It looked at a lot of different facets of the changing realm of NGOs and the philanthropists that support them.
Michelle
Gave up on it 65% of the way through because it got extremely repetitive. Maybe I'll come back to it someday. We'll see.
Dan Graham
A very fast walkthrough of famous philanthropists, foundations and organizations -- a bit too detail oriented for me.
Michael
Good as an introductory book, but a bit underwhelming.
Cheryl Ryan
Great and worth the read.
Gregory Stuart
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2010 Cheryl is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring...
Bethany Lang
Bethany Lang marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
mehreen
mehreen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Akbar Zaman
Akbar Zaman marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Give Smart: Philanthropy that Gets Results
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
  • The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World
  • More Than Good Intentions: How a New Economics Is Helping to Solve Global Poverty
  • Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World
  • How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
  • How to Run the World: Charting a Course to the Next Renaissance
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • Enough: Why the World's Poorest Starve in and Age of Plenty
  • Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era
  • The World's Banker: A Story of Failed States, Financial Crises, and the Wealth and Poverty of Nations
  • A Billion Bootstraps: Microcredit, Barefoot Banking, and the Business Solution for Ending Poverty
  • Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet
  • Portfolios of the Poor: How the World's Poor Live on $2 a Day
  • The Art of Being Unreasonable: Lessons in Unconventional Thinking
MATTHEW BISHOP is the US Business Editor and New York Bureau Chief of The Economist, and the co-author, with Michael Green, of several acclaimed books, including "Philanthrocapitalism: How Giving Can Save the World" and "The Road From Ruin". His first e-book, again written with Mr Green, is "In Gold We Trust? The Future of Money in an Age of Uncertainty", which will be published by Amazon and The ...more
More about Matthew Bishop...
The Road from Ruin: How to Revive Capitalism and Put America Back on Top Essential Economics: An A to Z Guide Economics: An A-Z Guide Road From Ruin The Road from Ruin. Matthew Bishop and Michael Green