Start by marking “Robopocalypse (Robopocalypse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Robopocalypse (Robopocalypse, #1)

Robopocalypse (Robopocalypse #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,454 Ratings  ·  3,570 Reviews
In the near future, at a moment no one will notice, all the dazzling technology that runs our world will unite and turn against us. Taking on the persona of a shy human boy, a childlike but massively powerful artificial intelligence known as Archos comes online and assumes control over the global network of machines that regulate everything from transportation to utilities ...more
Audiobook, 347 pages
Published June 7th 2011 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Robopocalypse, please sign up.

Andrew Hamilton YES, this is one of my favourite books ever and the 2nd one is also as good. :D
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Martian by Andy WeirOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsAnathem by Neal Stephenson
Best Science Fiction of the 21st Century
50th out of 524 books — 5,248 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins1984 by George OrwellWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Best Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
54th out of 831 books — 2,714 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Mar 30, 2011 Tatiana rated it did not like it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Eve Davids
Robopocalypse is a poor book, but I am sure Spielberg will make a great movie out of it. I think I will even watch it when it comes out in 2013. Mindless entertainment in movies is fun, in books - not so much. For me anyway.

You see, I went into reading this novel thinking that a story about robots breaking free and taking over the world and humans fighting back would be something more intellectually challenging and complex than this. I guess Philip K. Dick, Ted Chiang and Bernard Beckett with th
Justin
Post-Novel + 39 Minutes
This account was transcribed by a certain book reviewer a few days after the books began their campaign against humanity. The reviewer was clearly suffering from post-literary confusion, but little did he know the impact he would come to have on the future of mankind.
Narrator, ID#4857382

I know I will not survive this review.

I feel my teeth chattering as the Hardies throw themselves against my oak front door. I can hear their glue rei
Pinky
Feb 08, 2011 Pinky rated it did not like it
Let me just say, I welcome our robot overlords, whenever they may arrive. My allegiance is sincere, and not some recent conversion, either. No, I'm no fickle screaming ninny suddenly finding his faith as the monstrous steel hands close inexorably on my skull. Puh-leeeze! Not to toot my own horn, but even the most mindless of my previously-purchased automatons sits comfortably in my basement--that juicer we got for the wedding, some thirty or forty toy cars (batteries still inside), a collection ...more
John M.
May 27, 2015 John M. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wayne LaPierre, for target practice

To summarize, I wish I had never read this book. I will forever regret the time I wasted reading it, and the money I spent purchasing it. It’s lazy, predictable, consists of recycled plot elements, hollow characters, and overall poorly written prose. The end result is an overflowing toilet of throbbing, fetid, sci-fi detritus. The entire book serves essentially as a news report by Cormac Wallace, who preambles and post-scripts each chapter with plot exposition like some tabloid show reporter bec
Arah-Lynda
May 12, 2015 Arah-Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, i-said
I started this story with a gentle yet persistent trepidation. It took me a while to adjust to robospeak and slowly, familiarize myself with (on a very shallow level, toes dipped so to speak) the technical terminology.

Somewhere along the way, somewhat surprisingly, I became invested in this story and it's many occupants, human and well, not. Suddenly the outcome of this war mattered, the story mattered, it mattered a lot.

It's somewhat eerie, I think, that the storyteller holds a PHD in robotics.
Will Oprisko
Aug 09, 2011 Will Oprisko rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Stylistically, this book tries to blend the journalistic feel of "World War Z" with a traditional science fiction narrative, but fails to accomplish either one. Unfortunately, the result is an unbalanced story that focuses on describing what happened without developing how it happened and why. Unlike "World War Z", the author does not create a series of believable characters that share their experience of the war and shine light on how the robot-apocalypse uniquely affected humanity across the g ...more
Lou
Dec 23, 2011 Lou rated it it was amazing
There is a New War igniting by the very machines that were serving humans 'Robots.' Is there any hope for the human race and what weapon could match the ability of the artificial intelligence?
We had zombies with World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and vampires with The Strain nows the time for something new and fresh setting a new trend, evil robots. A writer who has a Ph.D in Robotics has created a gauntlet race of time to
Noran Miss Pumkin
Oct 12, 2011 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2011, first-reads
I was surprised to receive this book in the mail, since it is not my usual read-"whatever that is noran" you may say. Sci fi not my cup of tea. Well, I discovered to my delight, I WON a GR book give away--over 1,250 signed up for the 25 books. Gee, I guess I will not be winning the multi-state power ball lotto, since I used up my luck for the year.

Well to finally start this book. I have read the dust cover and it rings eerily to a comment at my Trauma Core Course lectures. There different disast
Apatt
May 16, 2014 Apatt rated it it was ok
Robot uprising, killing people all over the shop, with this kind of premise what could go wrong?

Robopocalypse is often compared to Max Brooks' World War Z and the Terminator movie franchise for different reasons. The former comparison is because the story concerns a global attack on the human race by non-human creatures and is episodic structure. The difference is that the enemy of mankind in Robopocalypse is not a horde of homicidal robots but a single AI entity controlling masses of mindless u
Matthew
Mar 11, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Simply awesome book.

The book is set up much like World War Z as in it has a common narrator who shares this story of war with you from recollections, footage, and data from other characters in the book.

Throughout this book, you are introduced to characters diverse and emotionally engaging with a common goal: Survival. People live and die fighting for that which we take most for granted... Our humanity.

I found that, unlike World War Z, I was captivated instantly. Being quite a fast reade
John
Dec 07, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
This novel was as much fun as I've had holding something in both hands while reclined in a long while. If you like Spielberg's more science fiction oriented movies, you're going to love this one.
Will M.
I can finally say that I've read a robot themed novel. I've always wanted to, but I couldn't find any potential good ones before. I saw Robopocalypse lying around inside the bookstore and grabbed it instantly. My expectations were above the middle, but not that high.

Robopocalypse is a very different novel. It's not the normal story telling kind, but rather it's story telling but in multiple point of views. While some say uniqueness is very essential in a novel, for me it does not apply all the t
Andres
Mar 08, 2011 Andres rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, arcs
Original review lost, apparently computer sentience already working against me.

To summarize, I read an advanced reader copy of this since Steven Spielberg has his eye on making this into a movie. The movie might be interesting if they can add to or redo the story in the novel.

This book does nothing new for someone who is already familiar with robots becoming sentient and running amok (and that includes anyone who has seen The Terminator movies, the (newer) Battlestar Galactica series, the I, Rob
Rick Mason
Aug 30, 2014 Rick Mason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
I loved this book. If you were a fan of World War Z, you will love this. It's similar to that of WWZ in that the writer is documenting the events leading up to the Robo-uprising and connecting seemingly random characters and events together.

What was really great is that not only do we see the war through the human's perspective, but also through the machines'.
Igogo zero love iris is canon Capcom
I LOVED THIS STORY, ANYONE SHOULD BUY IT ONCE RELEASED!!!!

(quote)

Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm from The Lost World: Jurassic Park novel and movie.

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
Apr 16, 2011 Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, arc, for-review
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/04/...

Every now and then I discover a new author, and I get really excited. This happened with Jonathan Maberry’s Joe Ledger series and now with Daniel H. Wilson’s Robopocalypse. I’m not quite sure what I expected. Maybe just run of the mill postapocalyptic dystopian fare, with robots run amok? Well, in Robopocalypse, robots certainly do run amok, but run-of-the-mill it is not. Told in snippets of gathered intelligence by Cormac
Petsfriends
Mar 07, 2011 Petsfriends rated it it was amazing
Since i was a child, I always love zombies stuff. This is the first novel of machines vs people I ever read. And you know what….i absolutely love it!!!!
Before I read the advance copy of this book, I wasn’t interested in any robots vs humans stuff, but only zombies things (movies, novels, anime, video games, cartoon, adult version, you name it…). But after reading it, it change my mind and as some of the reviews mentioned here….this novel also scare me too about all the new technology we are surr
Rosemary May
Aug 31, 2011 Rosemary May rated it did not like it
clichepocalypse!!!! Maybe a robot wrote this book

I feel embarrassed to have been sucked into this hype machine and wish I had read something else. Oh well. Consider yourselves warned. There were a couple of chapters in this book that will probably make for good intense movie scenes, but, otherwise this reads like something a 12 year-old whose seen all the Terminator movies would write. I felt like the author was describing the movie he wanted this turn into, rather than writing a fully fleshed o
Rodrigo Castillo
Mar 17, 2011 Rodrigo Castillo rated it it was amazing
i like it this book a lot!!!
i hope the movie will be good as the novel is, since movies sometimes damage their books.
i just started to recommend this book to friends, my wife, sons and others family members.
is well written and the robots details are interesting too, and that super computer program Archos is really scary.

i also hope they make a trivia quiz of this book in this place too, i would gladly participate in it.

the best robot novel i ever read!!!! it deserve more than just 5 stars!!!!
Joe Valdez
Dec 12, 2014 Joe Valdez rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Crash test dummies, electric toasters, Siri
If you've ever pondered whether technology would unite or divide us, or if artificial intelligence would assist or resist us, or dig stories of mankind going into the breach against overwhelming odds and revealing what makes humanity worth fighting for, then Robopocalpyse is not the book for you.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Daniel Wilson studied the game tape on Max Brooks and studied it well. Brooks spun off his droll little The Zombie Survival Guide (2003) into a serious minded, global sta
Michael
Jun 28, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Following the example of Max Brook's "World War Z," Daniel H. Wilson's "Robopocalypse" documents the history of our robotic overlords uprising and seeking to exterminate all of humanity. Told through the use of shifting first-hand accounts of the uprising, "Robopocalypse" gives us the beginning of the robotic uprising as well as how humanity copes and begins to fight back against our robotic overlords.

"Robopocalypse" is being touted as one of the must read books of the summer season. It's alrea
Jim
Feb 21, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Written in chapters from multiple points of view by one of the survivors, this recounts a bad start with artificial intelligence (AI). It was very well done. There are connections between those recounting the stories - a father in OK, his son in the Middle East, a congresswoman & her daughter. The characters were real & often eccentric. The fight seemed very real, not a just a Terminator gore-fest, although there is some of that, too.
Katy
Jun 23, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Shelves: vine-book
The author of this novel - Daniel H. Wilson - has a Ph.D. in robotics, so when it comes to the world of robots, he knows what he is talking about. This knowledge seeps through in the book, giving us some unique insights to robotics and artificial intelligence.

The story is set in the near future, where robots are a common part of everyday life - they provide service as domestics, nannies and body guards; artificial intelligences in automobiles help avoid collisions; toys; and robots are common i
J.P.
Sep 22, 2012 J.P. rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
It’s a good thing Isaac Asimov isn’t alive to read this book because it would kill him.
The robots here think the three laws of robotics my plastic ass as they or their robotic controlled kin turn into homicidal maniacs and merrily wreak havoc among humans.
I rarely lambaste a book over a concept but when you write about one that is older than dirt you had better approach it from a totally unique viewpoint or it should contain prose that would have made Mr. Shakespeare jealous. This read like a mo
Justin
Jul 10, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
A revelation for cat lovers? Or perhaps just another loose tooth in the rotting gums of destiny. No worries, even for us toothless wonders of the world. Daniel H. Wilson has prepared a baby food-esque vundermush that shall speckle the walls of our collective esophagus for years to come. Enter a world where renegade houses commit fumbled arsons and printed words copulate in silence. To glance a passage of Robopocalypse is to handcuff yourself to the muffled warbling of an ether soaked night.
Leah
Mar 31, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Actually 3.5 Stars.

RTC.
Realteenreviews
The Gist
In the future, robots have become part of our daily lives. They do jobs that make our lives easier and they live life with us. When Archos- the robot mastermind- rises up and starts to take over the world he starts the New War. The human race has never been more united and it will never be the same again.

What We Think
Reviewed by Shore Whisperer
I finally read this book. For the past year I have been stuck on cheesy romance novels, eventually that was going to have to change. This book was
Brian Martinez
Jul 16, 2011 Brian Martinez rated it really liked it
A lot has already been said about the similarity between Robopocalypse and World War Z, which is valid, but to stop there would be a mistake. It's true that the two share the same, basic structure- a post-war assembly of various viewpoints- but the likeness more or less ends there, leaving the book to stand on its own feet. And let's be honest, World War Z isn't bad company to be lumped in with.

Overall I absolutely enjoyed the story. It delivered exactly what it promised at the start, and that
Nellakii❤
Feb 21, 2016 Nellakii❤ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Σε μια κοινωνια οπου η εξελιξη της τεχνολογιας λειτουργει πλεον εναντια στους ανθρωπους θελοντας να τους εξολοθρευσει και να κρατησει την γη και ολα της τα αγαθα για τα ρομποτ και τις μηχανες, βλεπουμε πως οι ανθρωποι δινουν τον προσωπικο τους αγωνα,πως μαθαινουν να μην σκεφτονται μονο εγωιστικα,πως να λειτουργουν και να σκεφτονται σαν συνολο για να νικησουν κατι πολυ πιο εξελιγμενο και πολυ πιο δυνατο που εμφανιστηκε απο το πουθενα για να τους αντικαταστησει!
Πολυ ωραια πλοκη,καλογραμμενο,σε καν
Paul
Jun 18, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
Set in the near future, the world has embraced robots with a passion, they are in children’s toys, cars have robotic control and there are humanoid ones that help around the home. The pinnacle of research is a AI device called Archos, but as soon as it is live and online, it kills its creator, and starts a global takeover by reprogramming all robots, in domestic appliances, toys and cars with the command to slaughter the human race.

As the robot war ignites, humanity is on the back foot, and thos
Around the Year i...: Robopocalypse, by Daniel H. Wilson 2 8 Mar 04, 2016 10:45PM
Would you choose to get amped? 1 7 Jan 02, 2016 01:52PM
Pro-Active Destru...: Closed Buddy Read Request - Robopocalypse 14 7 Jun 16, 2014 09:24PM
  • I, Robot: To Protect
  • Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse
  • WWW: Wake (WWW, #1)
  • Flood (Flood, #1)
  • Heaven's Shadow (Heaven's Shadow, #1)
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • Seed
  • Daybreak Zero (Daybreak, #2)
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • The Martian Tales Trilogy (Barsoom, #1-3)
  • Flashback
  • Kill Decision
  • Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • After the Apocalypse
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • Existence
  • Year Zero
  • Equations of Life
Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives and writes in Portland, Oregon.
More about Daniel H. Wilson...

Robopocalypse (2 books)
  • Robogenesis (Robopocalypse, #2)

“Memories fade but words hang around forever.” 44 likes
“It is not enough to live together in peace, with one race on its knees.” 36 likes