Start by marking “Stolen Time” as Want to Read:
Stolen Time

Stolen Time

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In 1976 a 28 year old mother of two and her partner were wrongfully sentenced to death by the Florida courts for the murder of two police officers. Sunny Jacobs would not taste freedom again for 17 years, by which time her two children were estranged, her parents were dead, and her partner had been executed.
Published May 1st 2007 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Time

"I now know from hard-earned experience that each of us, male or female, must at some point take responsibility for ourselves and our lives. That's the way it is. "

This is the biography of Sunny Jacobs, a woman who, at the age of 28 she was sentenced to death for her role in the murders of two policemen in Florida, a crime she never committed. Her death sentence was later commuted to life in prison, and in total, she spent seventeen years in jail, five of which were in solitary confinement. It i
A terribly heartbreaking tale of the justice system going horribly wrong! 17 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit...her boyfriend executed 2 years prior to the conviction being overturned! I read this some time ago, but the 'wrongness' of it all has stayed with me!
Steph Dinning
I believe that this is a great book and a really inspirational story, what happened to Sunny was devastating and to spend 20yrs in jail and to miss your children growing up is unthinkable and what her poor son went through just after the arrest,it makes me so angry that they were allowed to do that.

As a rule I never give up a book until it's finished and only the very rare one do I and sadly this was one of them. I read 170 something pages and while its started out interesting,her early life an
Mary Power
Sunny is an amazing person. Perhaps too trusting at times. Couldn't see myself running after Jesse with two small children, but as She said herself, He had something about him that drew women towards him. Hard to believe that a Country that's considers itself to be so sophisticated could have States led by such Corrupted Prosecuters. I think the death penalty is a lazy ass way of dealing with Crimes. This is a well worth read, it will make you mad and sad in equal measures, but Sunny is a person ...more
A justiça americana. A pena de morte. A sobrevivência dentro de uma prisão. A força de uma mulher inocente perante um sistema que quis que ela fosse culpada à força. O amor - pelo companheiro/marido, pelos filhos, pelos pais. 17 anos de vida em pausa.
Gostei. Gostei bastante.

American justice. Death penalty. Survival in a prison. The streght of an innocent woman in a sistem that wanted her to be guilty at any cost. The love - for her husband, her children, her parents. 17 years paused.
I liked it.
Cruzei-me com este livro na biblioteca por acaso. O seu título e a sua temática chamaram a minha atenção. Tempo Roubado traz-nos o relato na primeira pessoa de uma jovem, Sunny Jacobs, que é julgada e condenada por um crime do qual não é responsável. No primeiro julgamento, o casal Sunny e Jesse são condenados à morte.

As circunstâncias que conduzem à acusação deles são o resultado de uma personalidade imatura e um estilo de vida irresponsável. Sunny e Jesse viviam uma vida pouco estável e acaba
Okay so I haven't technically finished reading this book (I have decided to give up, because you know, it's never too late to quit).

At first I thought this book would be a fascinating book because I've been really interested in true crime and the US justice system and stuff lately, and it seemed like the book was everything I'd hoped it would be. then I got to around page 150-200. Oh. My. God. I really don't mean to come off as being rude or insensitive and I can't even imagine going to prison f
Wendy Collard
An incredibly moving account of one womans life in which she was wrongly convicted of a crime. Detailing her story throughout, you cannot help but emphasize with all the injustices both she and her partner faced. A hard hitting page turner which evokes your emotions. A sad story but also one of great courage, her attitude is truely remarkable considering.... I was recommended this book by a friend and in turn would also recommend to anyone.
This is an incredible story about one woman's amazing courage and strength in fighting for justice in Florida's corrupt legal system over three decades (late 70's, 80's and early 90's). Her survival instinct and ability to make do with whatever the prison system threw at her showed an amazing strength of character. However i felt the book dragged on too much and that some of the content was irrelevant to the storyline. I felt saddened by the way she was treated but delighted by her positive spir ...more
I think Sunny Jacobs is an amazing woman too! She's always so positive and has such strong will power to stay the cause with HOPE and the wish to be with her children again.

I found it a little too draggy at times and some parts are not clearly linked, but I guess she wanted to weave in all the times and her feelings throughout her 17 years in prison. I felt really sorry for her for being punished for so long for something she didn't commit and for missing out all the years she could have spent
This book was not what I expected. I had gotten the impression that this book was to focus on Sonny's yoga practice whilst in prison. Very little was mentioned about her yoga practice at all.

I'm drawn to death row stories because I find them incredibly emotional and it's one of those things I firmly believe is wrong.

Whilst parts of the book were slow and quite repetitive (something that I think was reflective of prison life) Sonny's continued hope at one day being free, of the love for her child
A no-holds barred narrative which seriously questions the death penalty in the US. As you read through it you see how the case against Sunny and her partner, Jesse Tafero just falls apart on closer analysis. Her death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, and eventually after almost 17 years the conviction was overturned as the original evidence was shown to be unreliable and insufficient. It was two years too late for Jesse though, he was executed despite the serious concerns about the ca ...more
Lauren Agnew
I enjoyed reading this book, although parts of it got a bit boring at times..but what did I expect she's in prison after all. Still worth a read to see how an innocent woman coped with being on death row and the many years before she got out.
Travis Bird
A true story and I was torn between pity and exasperation. The author's suffering in prison is compelling but I kept thinking that it was self-inflicted by a very poor choice of company. The boy friend who is put to death isn't a type I could muster much pity for - She tells how he cleared away his competition for her by encouraging her previous boyfriend to wreck himself on sorry can I be that he got fried?
Susan Mccloskey
I thought that Sunny related her experiences and time spent incarcerated quite well. There were moments when I shed tears and could relate to her feelings and anxiousness relating to the American Judicial system. All in all it was well worth the read.
i think it was a good book and you would like it if you are the type of person who likes to read autobiographies, sad and someone who has been wrongfully sent to jail and their familly has been torwn apart. in the end hough it is wonderful.
The book starts off slow but gets much better. It's a scary story, scary that something like this could actually happen. I don't think I could come out of this ordeal and embrace life the way Sunny Jacobs did.
Missy Cahill
An interesting story but far too long. I felt her actual description of what happened that day didnt come clearly across to the reader. She dealt with it in one chapter and was never fully reviewed again.
I cannot imagine what this woman has been through over the years. You can't help thinking how incredibly naive she was but you have to admire her strength of spirit.
Luke Charles
A brilliant book of true life tale of huge sorrow and suffering.Hardly anyone besides the author could have coped with what befell her.Inspirational novel to read.
Sandra Mackintosh
A true story about a lady named Sonny Jacob who was wrongly accused of murder and imprisoned for 17 yrs
Grade 10
May 05, 2008 Lisa added it
this shows a woman who has been in jail for 17 years and who shows courage,strengh and determination to get through it.
I enjoyed this much more then I thought I would and got very teary at the end. Very interesting book.
Very interesting insight into a world few of us visit, or survive to write about.
Angela Joyce
This is another one I can't adequately describe, but urge you strongly to read.
As far as true stories go this one if good but dragged on a bit.
Michelle Proudman
Amazing book and story. The adversity and strength is inspiring
Hannah King
Incredible story. Sunny Jacobs strength was so inspiring!
Great story that is crying out for better editing.
  • Kaitlyn
  • Cannibal Killers: The Real Life Flesh Eaters and Blood Drinkers (True Crime)
  • Out of the Dark
  • Barra Creek
  • To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)
  • Mengele: The Complete Story
  • Mummy, Come Home: The True Story Of A Mother Kidnapped And Torn From Her Children
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Girl Alone: Joss came home from school to discover her father’s death. Angry and hurting, she’s out of control.
  • Das Scheißleben meines Vaters, das Scheißleben meiner Mutter und meine eigene Scheißjugend
  • Sadie