Start by marking “Harjunpää ja pahan pappi (Harjunpää, #10)” as Want to Read:
Harjunpää ja pahan pappi (Harjunpää, #10)

Harjunpää ja pahan pappi (Harjunpää #10)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Metroasemien oudot onnettomuudet saavat poliisin ymmälleen. Silminnäkijöitä ei ole, valvontakamerat eivät ole tallentaneet mitään.

Rikosylikonstaapeli Timo Harjunpää on nähnyt ihmiselämän lohduttomimmat puolet, mutta näin murskaavina eivät pahat voimat ole ennen hänen tielleen osuneet. Rakkaudettoman ja julman lapsuuden arvet kantavat kauas uhrinsa elämään ja yhteisöön.
Published June 2010 by Otava (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Harjunpää ja pahan pappi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harjunpää ja pahan pappi

WakenPayne
This book is one I knew about after I watched the movie with Peter Franzen and Sampo Sarkola. The movie doesn't stay true to the book but I found it in me to like both at the same time.

I read this a while ago. Since then I have read all of Joensuu's books (he is my favourite author) that have been translated into English (I don't speak Finnish - or at least not well enough to translate a 200-300 page book).

One thing I found with this book is that I thoroughly enjoyed the subplots with Matti and
Milena
This was the first detective story I ever read and I loved it. I've also seen the movie but it wasn't that good. The characters are very lovable as they are afflicted in different ways.
Karen
Eurocrime is really a tremendous imprint, providing some real little gems of books from a range of different cultural backgrounds. These books provide the crime reader with a glimpse into another culture. And make you realise that whilst some things are very different, more often it's the similarities that are surprising.

The things that THE PRIEST OF EVIL shows are the same in Finland, as they are where I come from, include the way that people can be invisible. Sometimes it's because of age, oft
M M
Policeman novelist Matti Yrjänä Joensuu is a Finn with a vision. In his The Priest of Evil, he develops a peculiar mish-mash of new age religion, serial killings, deeply troubled adults and their disturbed relationships with appallingly cold and twisted parents, bullied children and their close friendships, mind control, and beneath it all, such aching sadness that it is not surprising Finland has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. A couple of fundamentalist preachers are accosting p ...more
Bev Taylor
the only word i can find for this book is weird

i started and thought i would turn a page to give it one more chance

i persevered to the end but was glad to put it down. will not attempt to give u a review

perhaps because i am not a like of supernatural?

bv
Inge424
schitterend verhaal, heel goed gebracht. In het begin een beetje verwarrend door de namen en het switchen van heden naar verleden en terug.
Heel lang blijf je met de verschillende draadjes maar op het einde wordt alles netjes afgewerkt.
Michael
I didn't think this was too bad. I wish that a few things were explained though like the antagonists power with Mamo(a "god" he worships).

Detective Timo Harjunpaa is investigating a series of murders in the Finnish subway system. Security cameras show no sign of anyone murdering anyone.

I will say that the movie was better in my eyes. That is a personal opinion but then again its not like this book was awful(far from it - actually, this is one of the best books I've ever read).

If you really think
Elina
Harjunpää ja pahan pappi
Iasa
Even if I wasn't aware Mr. Joensuu was a criminal investigator, it would be apparent by his writing. At times the prose is so overly detailed that it reads more like a police report rather than a novel. I found the introduction of the various characters and plot lines to be burdensome, but once they begin to merge together it became a more pleasurable read.
Outi
Quite interesting. I enjoy Joensuu's way of writing and the way he gets so close to his characters. The book left a lot unexplained but somehow it didn't matter because what was more important was the understanding of childhood and the dangers of loveless childhood. The ending was unusual and very very exciting.
Meen
May 15, 2010 Meen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: It was on the freebie shelf at school.
It was a fast read. I needed an escape. However...

I can never shut off the sociologist, so at the same time that I'm reading and taking in the story I'm making cultural comparisons b/w Finland and the US and how those shape the differences (and similarities) b/w each one's portrayal of police and criminals.
Kailey Willmore
I was expecting a straightforward police procedural, but instead I found myself reading a meditation on the long term effects of family abuse. The Priest of Evil is a well written novel that explores territory outside of the expected path of the mystery novel.
Aisha
Loistavasti kirjoitettu, luin melkein yhdelta istumalta. Joensuu osaa kirjoittaa niin, etta lukija paasee todellakin niin poliisin kuin rikollistenkin ajatusmaailmaan sisalle.
kt Sedat
"meh" Too "hocus-pocus" for my taste. Though the cliff hanger ending does catch my interest to read the next one.
Timo
Loppuipa ikävästi kesken, perkele.
Mutta sujuva ja hupaisa kirja.
Mamacat
Mamacat marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Daria Kuzmina
Daria Kuzmina marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Lino Natoli
Lino Natoli marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Paljain jaloin
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • Yösyöttö
  • Vänaste land (Inspector Winter, #8)
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • Prince: A Novel
  • Hetken hohtava valo
  • Miss Farkku-Suomi
  • The Forest Of Hours
  • The Streetbird
  • Hurskas kurjuus
  • Järjestäjä
  • De största vatten (A-gruppen, #5)
  • Haudankaivaja (Maria Wern #10)
  • Jää
  • What is Mine
  • Kerjäläinen ja jänis
  • Totta
Matti Yrjänä Joensuu (born 1948) was a Finnish writer of crime fiction. He was awarded the State's Literature Prize (1982), Vuoden johtolanka prize (1985, 1994, 2004), and he was nominated for two Finlandias. He received the Martin Beck Award in 1987. He graduated as a police in 1973 and worked as a crime investigator at the Helsinki police station's violence group.

Joensuu wrote several novels abo
More about Matti Yrjänä Joensuu...

Harjunpää (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Väkivallan virkamies (Harjunpää #1)
  • Harjunpää ja pyromaani (Harjunpää #2)
  • Harjunpää ja kapteeni Karhu
  • Harjunpää ja ahdistelija (Harjunpää #4)
  • The Stone Murders (Harjunpää #5)
  • Harjunpää ja heimolaiset (Harjunpää #6)
  • Harjunpää et les Lois de l'amour (Harjunpää #7)
  • Harjunpää ja kiusantekijät
  • Harjunpää ja rakkauden nälkä (Harjunpää #9)
  • Harjunpää ja rautahuone (Harjunpää, #11)
Harjunpää ja rakkauden nälkä (Harjunpää #9) Harjunpää ja rautahuone (Harjunpää, #11) Harjunpää ja ahdistelija (Harjunpää #4) Väkivallan virkamies (Harjunpää #1) Harjunpää ja pyromaani (Harjunpää #2)