Start by marking “Money: God or Gift” as Want to Read:
Money:  God or Gift

Money: God or Gift

Published October 2010 by Re:lit

To ask other readers questions about Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money

Caleb
Feb 05, 2011 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Jamie Munson is a pastor at Mars Hill Church based in Seattle, WA. Most people associate Mars Hill with Mark Driscoll, but the church is large and growing rapidly. They have many other pastors, some of whom are also writing books. Munson is one of them. His book, Money: God or Gift, is a straightforward, practical instruction on why & how to be faithful stewards of God's money.

Munson's book breaks into three sections, Rich Toward God, Life is More than Food, and the Faithful and the Wise.

RIC
Jennine
Aug 30, 2013 Jennine rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

"Money: God or Gift" is best applicable as an introduction or refresher of money matters. Munson really does cover all the bases, even the questions every Christian struggles with when it comes to money. He talks about use of monetary resources as a matter of the heart. You "have" or "have-not" based on your motives. This means that giving, spending, and saving can be done for the wrong reasons. Giving, spending, and saving a
Josie
Feb 25, 2013 Josie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a fairly decent superficial accounting of how the Bible talks about money, with a heavy dose of Mars Hill ethos in there. The advice (savings, retirement, pay down debt) is fairly standard, but with verse to support, which I like. Mars Hill chooses to interpret some passages in their own conservative way (surprise!), but if you can get past that it's a good beginning for what God says about cash. For example, the book advises that when you get married you learn to live on one person's ...more
Heather
Jul 11, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Title: Money: God or Gift by Jamie Munson
Format: PDF provided by Storycartel & author in exchange for an honest review.

Easy to follow financial advice for saving, getting rid of debt, and using your money wisely. The author follows each step of advice with a pleitude of Bible verses. Simple, consise guide for those new to money management that has a spiritiual backing.

I felt the book was more informative and factual rather than trying to personally involve the reader. That's not a bad thing
Matthew Redder
Jul 13, 2013 Matthew Redder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
The book is concise (113 pages), which made it simpler to enjoy the book's rich content. The content is definitely to-the-point and right on. Munson uses dozens of scripture references to back up content, and in that vein, it is easy to follow the references along and get even more out of the book. As a Pastor I could use this book as a small group guide, in couples counseling, or even as a reference to a series on money on a Sunday morning. Confusion about money and faith is definitely a ...more
Ben Connelly
Dec 28, 2011 Ben Connelly rated it really liked it
Good, concise, packed with biblical & practical principles. Well worth the hour or two it takes to read; even better if used as it was designed to be - a 3-week study. With the pervasive misunderstanding of money, saving, spend, giving, etc. this is a breath of fresh air, & will hopefully be used to produce great fruit in folks' lives & ministry.

Only downsides: a few editing mistakes, and very focused toward Munson's own local church (which is fine & the purpose of his writing),
Jeffrey
Aug 13, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

I found that it was an excellent resource for seeing a broad overview of what the Bible has to say about money. The author suggests that you go through the material in a small group setting which sounds like an excellent way to approach this topic.

What I liked about the book is the abundance of scripture that infuses the book and created a strong framework to clearly establish a Christian and biblical worldview on money. Well
Adam Lockhart
Oct 21, 2011 Adam Lockhart rated it really liked it
In this short and biblically solid book, Jamie Munson writes on the topic of money covering everything from the practical advice on saving, giving, and living a life that is God-honoring in regards to our resources while touching on some of the more traditionally difficult questions within the church like "Should a Christian be rich?", "Are we to give away all of our money?" and "Isn't spending on pleasure bad?" It's easy to understand, brief, and filled with biblical truths on the topic of ...more
Ben Adkison
Jan 23, 2016 Ben Adkison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven 19t read a ton of books on Christian finance, but this has surely got to be one of the best. In Money: God or Gift, Jamie Munson clearly lays out the basic biblical principles regarding money in the Bible. The book is a quick read (think a couple of days), balanced in its thinking, cheap to buy (only $5 on kindle), theologically focused, practical in application, and includes discussion questions for group study and further probing. The end of the book has useful appendices for planning ...more
Stephen
Mar 21, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
Brief, simple and helpful introduction to a biblical view on money.

Here is a summary of Munsen's purpose for writing the book (from chapter 10): 'Money is a good, necessary, extremely helpful gift from God. It is also an enticing, destructive, and terrible god. I sincerely pray that this book has helped you put money in its rightful place as an instrument to glorify Jesus, a gauge to assess the spiritual health of your heart, and a blessing from God that's perfectly fine to enjoy.

This book is
Adam
Jun 27, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Great bible study book. Gets at a lot of the roots underneath how we intersect God and finances and why there is glory in giving to God our first fruits. One of my real key takeaways was that God doesn't desire that we give money because he loves money, rather that he loves us and that his glory be above all else so in order to give sacrificially requires that we are not putting ourselves first but rather that God is first. He seeks to remove that obstacle of worship.
Amber
Jul 14, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Simple study with some good discussion but not to deeply in depth. It's strength is that is focuses on the heart of the issue and in having the right attitudes towards things. Although at times it is a little slippery fish and while it tries to root in scripture, it still comes back to some older peoples ideas with how best to handle this topic. But the book is not intimidating and easy to read.
Brent Dore
Jan 25, 2012 Brent Dore rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
It was a good basic overview of fiances but there were definitely times that I felt like he made complex issues into simple black/white points (...that's also one of my general frustrations with Mars Hill). I would recommend it to people though - especially people who are just beginnign to try and figure out how to budget and use their money as a means of glorifying God. Overall, it's a solid effort but I would have liked a little more.
Jeff Bettger
Feb 10, 2013 Jeff Bettger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, financial
This is the best and most cohesive thing I have read on stewardship. I absolutely love that it begins with fear! I wish more Christians paid attention to these principles, and would apply them. We could literally solve world hunger, and all kinds of other things if we would just steward what God has blessed us with in a worshipful thankful way. If you have trouble giving or a covetous heart that desires stuff and things to make you feel better (like every American) I recommend this book.
Gale
Jul 13, 2013 Gale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Gale by: book club
A Good book off the start,about money,balance sheets,economics and financial theory or debit management.Fear is the best place to start,goes hand,and hand with things.We love and value,also this book goes by week 1,week 2,week 3,to teach stewardship,and money management,also it goes hand,and hand with your Bible,will help you get your mind ready in spiritually,financial and help in life.I loved this book,hope you do to
Mrben
Apr 12, 2011 Mrben rated it it was amazing
A great mix of sound theology and practical advice. A great reference point for church leaders and members alike, although ought to be read in tandem with a more in-depth book on the practicalities of (Christian) financial planning if used as a basis for changing your own situation - the author recommends some additional reading in the appendices.
Travis
Jan 09, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This was the first book on money that I have read. It was a great book for that. It provided a good overview of stewardship and how my money should relate to my relationship with God. There are study guide questions included as this book was written to be used in a community group setting.
Travis Wussow
Aug 26, 2011 Travis Wussow rated it really liked it
Very well-balanced and practical. Also full of good discussion questions that can be used to talk and think through the issues more deeply.
Caleb
May 10, 2012 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Awesome resource! I plan on recommending it and giving it away to others. Addresses our hearts well as well as wisdom with handling money in different life stages. Very thorough, very understandable.
John Bowersox
Feb 10, 2013 John Bowersox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pastor Jamie Munson brings more common sense combined with a biblical foundation on the subject of money. Everyone I know could benefit from reading this quick study.
Ryan
Dec 18, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This included a lot of stuff that I already knew but it was good to get reminded that receiving God’s blessings is not a sin and giving should be done with the right motives.
Robin Carroll
Robin Carroll rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Zachary
Zachary rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Karena Carpenter
Karena Carpenter rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Samuel Schmidt
Samuel Schmidt rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Ryne Isaac
Ryne Isaac rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Victor Chininin
Victor Chininin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A lot of grace! That sums up my life well. Over the years I have had the opportunity to see a lot of change, in my own life, my family's lives and the organizations I’ve had the privilege of being a part of. I believe that Life is a gift, Leadership is an honor, and Legacy matters.
More about Jamie Munson...

“I DON’T TRUST THE CHURCH. If someone doesn’t trust the church enough to give or be involved, this probably indicates another underlying issue, possibly a lack of trust in and resistance to authority in general. In any case, if someone can’t be led to trust their church, they should probably find a church they can trust and go there instead.” 0 likes