The Devil Rides Out

The Devil Rides Out

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Britain's best loved entertainer tells more of his rollicking adventures. Following on from the enormous success of At My Mother's Knee, Paul O'Grady here continues his extraordinary life story. Aged 18, the young Paul has already been a cat burglar and a boxer, a mischievous altar boy and a civil servant, he's fathered a baby and lost his own dad, he's discovered Liverpoo...more
Published July 28th 2011 by Transworld Publishers (first published September 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Rides Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Rides Out

Nicole
I feel bad giving only 2 stars to this book, because I like Paul O'Grady very much. But the second instalment of this autobiography is disappointing.

The content can be summarised as follows:

O'Grady gets unsuitable job that he hates, falls in with a crowd at a gay bar, sees a drag act and thinks "I could do that". O'Grady quits job he hates, gets another, starts frequenting another completely different but somehow exactly the same bar in which there is a resident drag act, and thinks "I could do...more
Mags
I struggled with this one.
The first part of Paul's autobiography was great - full of fun and character.
Whether this second part was done by a different ghost-writer, or whether Paul was against a deadline, is difficult to say. The result, however, is actually not a book I enjoyed reading.
There were far too many "little did I know..." comments. I don't want to know that you actually spent 3 years at a flat you initially hated, Paul. I'll get to that information when I continue reading.
There were...more
Maj
After reading this part of Paul Oh's autobio I definitely have a big respect for him. I get that he (and Lily) aren't everybody's taste but I've had a thing for Paul for years now. Now I can't believe what he already experienced between his late teens & early 20's...Respect.
Told in his own style the book had more suspense & thrill than 80% crime/thriller fiction literature & made you smile as well as tear up a little bit. Also respect to him for not holding back telling about stuff o...more
Aunty Janet
I'm not too keen on Paul O'Grady on TV, but really enjoyed his first autobiography so wanted to read this too. It's really interesting to read about his life; I knew he had worked in a children's' home, but didn't realise he had done so many 'caring' jobs. He's had quite a life, it's fascinating to read about how 'Lilly Savage' came about and how he developed 'her'.
The book finishes just as 'Lilly' is starting out. To have written two autobiographies covering his life up to the point he becomes...more
Jean
In this volume you see more of Paul's personality from his nasty side, which usually appears when he's been drinking, to his caring side and his feeling for those less fortunate than himself. He really did some shitty jobs in his time and no-one could say he hasn't seen life. The book comes across as being written honestly, brutally so at times and I think this is why I liked it. So many celebs appear to be a little economical with the truth in their biographies, just to look good.
Dreamer
Incredibly funny & readable, can't wait for the next installment..
"I won't be late," I lied, "and if I'm not home it means that I've stayed at one of me mates."
"Mates? Which Mates?" she asked suspiciously. "Ooh, I'd like to be behind you to see what you're up to with these mates, my lad."
'You wouldn't,' I thought.
"He's off out tomcatting it again, Annie, " my mother sighed resignedly down to the phone to my aunty.
Rosie
Jul 10, 2011 Rosie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rosie by: Florrie
Favourite Quote: “If you’re considering getting an act together I’d drop the name. Lily Savage is all right for a bit of camp but no one is going to take an act that sounds like an old scrubber seriously, dahling.”

Looking back, I find it quite strange that, as an 8-year-old child, one of my favourite TV shows was the revival of the comedy game show Blankety Blank, hosted by the late, great Lily Savage. I remember finding the actual game pretty boring because I didn’t understand most of the doubl...more
Michelle Gaskell
Really enjoyed it, although less than the first installment. Feels like this one is dragged out somewhat, maybe to be able to write the third book (which I am going to read ASAP) and make people want to buy it. Still made me laugh and cry and shocked me in some places too. We shall see if book number three sums up the rest of his life until present day or if the publishers are still going to try and milk his story for a fourth installment!!
Rachel
When I read his autobiography I hear Paul O'Grady speaking. Another fabulous read, moving, shocking, very funny. He has a great ear for dialogue, especially women's conversations, and can conjure up a humourous scene so quickly.

It isn't quite as laugh out loud funny as the first volume, but perhaps necessarily so? Paul is now a father (a very reluctant dad), working in social care (some very sad situations), takes a holiday in eastern Europe (in the Seventies - Checkpoint Charlie, the works), an...more
Gill
Volume 2 of O'Grady's autobiography. Read volume 1 - At My Mother's Knee - first, just because it's slightly superior.

This picks up immediately from the death of his father and continues Paul's exploits in unsuitable jobs (including husband and father!) and occasionally with unsuitable men. It's repetitive in places and doesn't move the life story along all that far - by the end of the book, O'Grady's alter-ego Lily Savage is still a raw newcomer on the drag scene.

I can't say I was disappointed...more
Barbra
Loved this second part of Paul's autobiography. Just as funny as the first book. Can't wait for the third instalment.

Back Cover Blurb:
The further advenures of Paul O'Grady - following on from the million-copy-selling At My Mother's Knee - are, if anything, even more hilarious and outrageous than what has come before. As Paul struggles to get to grips with unexpected fatherhood and bereavement, he searches high and low for a job that lasts and somehow finds himself getting married in the process....more
Grace
I enjoyed this even more than the first (if that's possible!). As we follow Paul into fatherhood and on to his debut into the world of drag I literally couldn't put this book down. The day couldn't go quick enough just so I could get home and read some more. As before, his writing is enthralling, filled with genuine emotion and sure to keep you interested. It made me laugh and cry along with him as he recounted his many adventures through his early life. I truley hope that there will be another,...more
Hayley Jackson
A great follow on to the first book!
Venuskitten
The second volume of Paul O'Grady's honest and down-to-earth autobiography, covering his life as a social worker (including working as a peripatetic social worker with children from 'difficult' families) during the day and the beginnings of his drag act as Lily Savage in gay clubs and pubs in the evenings. Enjoyable, readable and colourful with no hint of any celebrity name-dropping or arrogance, this volume ends in the author's early twenties and there must be lots more to come Recommended.
Gillian
Paul O'Grady is one of my favourite ever personalities. I couldn't help but hear the words of this autobiography, as I did the first instalment in his voice. He is a natural born comedian and I believe the TV/Radio persona is genuinely Paul O'Grady. Nothing is left to the imagination as to his somewhat chequered history, I think Lily Savage might even have led a more sheltered life!
Rosie
not as good as his first. but still a couple of laughs but definately not out loud ones sadly. bt of a mixed; definately didnt feel as though he was in the room as you read it, like i did feel wit hthe first i could just hear him in the same room. but not with devil rides out. quite a disappointing second book. not all its cracked up to be.
Lisa Bennett
A much better book than the first of this series of biographies. Very interesting reading. We finally start to hear about Lily Savage, and how she came to be, and about Paul's life away from his mother, and his travels. Very good book. Can't wait to read his third, and probably the last of the series of his biographies.
Lucilla
Interesting read - he is very witty. Like his other book I think he could have cut out some detail - how did he remember so much. Book ends with the creation of lily savage. Not sure if I agree with celebs dragging their life stories out over several volumes. Will probably read the next one though!
Ellena Downes
With the second book in the series Paul hits the bright lights of London. It's interesting to get an insight into the gay club scene and how he takes everything in his stride. I loved the pictures in this one, Paul and his red hair.
I wanted to hear more about the drag act but that's for the next volume
Hannah
From the minute I finished reading "At My Mother's Knee" and put it down, I couldn't wait for the next instalment of Paul O'grady's memoirs. He is as funny in writing as he is on television, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book as much as the first. A must-read for Paul O'Grady/Lily Savage fans
Sammi shaw
i really wanted to love this book as i love paul but for some reason i couldnt! it felt like i was reading about somebody different, i mostly enjoyed learning how he became lily savage as id always wondered how he'd gotten into it, overall i wasnt really impressed :(
Neal Hughes
Read this and the first one. Written in a style that makes it sound as if Paul is speaking to you. Very funny in places but I can't help feel that he is drawing stories out unnecessarily in order to get as many volumes as possible.
Rachel
Started laugh out loud funny but became fairly serious and ever so slightly dull for the second half. It was interesting reading about familiar pubs and areas of London though.
We need more of Paul's Mum; she sounds like a star!
Carla Monsoon
Pauls open, comical and honest story telling makes you feel he is sitting with you telling it like it is
Paul O' Grady is an absolute star and this book was nostalgic, historical and funny in all the right places
Adrian

Not as funny as the first book but still contained moments that gave you the odd chuckle. That said the book was still an enjoyable read and you can almost imagine Paul narrating it in your head.
Joolz
interesting funny, and makes me want to read his first book. I knew nothing about Paul before reading this, but gave me a great insight and respect for him after reading this.
Davina
I love Paul O'Grady, this book had me in stitches over what was a stressful Christmas.You couldn't make up characters like the ones in his book. I can't wait to read the next one.
Michaela
The Plot: The life and times of Paul O'Grady.

My Verdict: The Devil Rides Out is extremely funny, sad at times and camp as a row of tents.
Kellie Bieda

I Found it really difficult to stay with this book as much as I enjoy POGs life stories I found this one a challenge but I got there in the end.
Kate
This was a pleasant read. Not as good as the first and I'm looking forward to reading about Lily in the third, this felt like a bit of a bridge.
  • That's Another Story: The Autobiography
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • So Me
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • Look Back In Hunger
  • Through Thick and Thin: My Autobiography
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Sharon Osbourne Survivor: My Story: The Next Chapter
  • It's Not What You Think
  • What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
  • Channeling Morpheus for Scary Mary (Channeling Morpheus, #1-5)
  • Small Man in a Book
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • The Life of Lee
  • Cheryl: My Story
  • Dear Fatty
  • Camp David
Paul James Michael O'Grady MBE (born 14 June 1955) is an English comedian, television presenter, actor, writer and radio DJ. He is best known for presenting the daytime chat television series, The Paul O'Grady Show and, more recently, Paul O'Grady Live, as well as his drag queen comedic alter ego, Lily Savage, as whom he performed in various television series including Blankety Blank (1997–1999) a...more
More about Paul O'Grady...
At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints Still Standing: The Savage Years At my mothers knee Autobiography Vol 4 Autobiography Vol 4