Start by marking “Butter” as Want to Read:
Butter

Butter

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  6,155 Ratings  ·  1,047 Reviews
A lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Butter, please sign up.

Lisa Well said, Sally! This book provides characters such as Doc Bean and the Professor who help Butter discover the healthy way to lose weight and improve…moreWell said, Sally! This book provides characters such as Doc Bean and the Professor who help Butter discover the healthy way to lose weight and improve his health. Its main focus is on the cruelty of the superficial teens who are using Butter to their own selfish ends. Butter is not fooled by their falseness - yet he still gravitates to them. I really liked the way that Butter, Anna, and even Butter's parents grew through this book - to look at people from the inside , rather than from without.(less)

Stacia (the 2010 club)
You think I eat a lot now? That's nothing. Tune in December 31st, when I will stream a live webcast of my last meal. I can't take another year in this fat suit, but I can end this year with a bang. If you can stomach it, you're invited to watch...as I eat myself to death.

- Butter

This is the opening paragraph. If that isn't enough to catch someone's attention, then I don't know what else would.

Before I picked this book up, I was a little nervous. I've tried to read books which dealt with simi
Jubilation Lee
Butter seems to be on all the reading lists recently, so I figured I’d better get caught up with What the Kids are Reading. And damn. It was a fascinating story, not so much for the characters themselves, but for the idea that a teenager could basically be peer pressured into committing suicide.

Because by God, once Butter made a website saying was going to kill himself, he couldn’t very well not do it, right? What would his classmates think? They’d totally call him a coward! THERE IS NO WAY OUT
Hannah
Jun 24, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
I'm going to be honest here. I struggle a lot with sizeism. Even though I've learned, rationally, that size and health are not directly related, and that overeating is an eating disorder like any other, I still struggle. The idea that thin equals healthy, and that fat people are lazy and just need to stop eating so much and just try to be healthy were instilled in me so much while growing up that it's really hard to let go of them. I'll know that my thoughts are really mean and problematic, but ...more
Sarah Churchill
Fantastic. A sort of dark comedy that gives insight into another form of bullying - that of the 'friends' who use and abuse, which the victim ignores because they just want to be accepted and have friends.

The whole premise of this book is so dark and disturbing that it's difficult to explain how normal it seems while reading, and how caught up you get in Butter's predicament. The scene where Butter earns his nickname is one of the most shocking scenes of the book, but also a very important one f
Kelly
Sep 18, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
3.5.

Butter's a fat kid. That's something no one would argue with and something he himself identifies with. But he's so alone, and he's sad about being alone. He hates knowing what it is that keeps him alone is that number. Over the last few months, he's made good friends with Anna online -- Anna goes to his school, fits in with the in crowd, and has absolutely no idea the boy she talks to online (who goes by the name JP) is really Butter.

Then one day, Butter decides he's going to stand up for h
Maxi
Apr 12, 2016 Maxi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maxi by: Sarah Churchill
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015, to-unhaul
This book was on my TBR for like a year (at least) and I finally decided to pick it up and read it. Long story short: it's a good book, but not the best.
I wasn't expecting anything from it so I wasn't disappointed but I didn't even feel the "meh" feeling I usually have after finishing a 3 stars book.

Main problem I had with Butter was that I couldn't relate to the main character. I didn't feel connected, didn't feel anything. I was just reading about him and I kind of wanted to finish the book.
Thomas
Jan 01, 2014 Thomas rated it liked it
Here's my preface: I know some people are naturally heavier than others. I'm aware that some people have medical issues. I know, as cliche as it sounds, that what's on the inside matters much more than what's on the outside.

But Butter was just so frustrating. I don't want to sound insensitive or make it seem like I'm a jerk who hates obese people, but this book had me on the edge. The main character, at 423 pounds, would eat to upset his mom and would fail to take responsibility for his actions
Craig MacLachlan
Jul 24, 2012 Craig MacLachlan rated it it was amazing
Erin Jade Lange has written an astounding, heart provoking, wonderful novel, BUTTER. I read BUTTER in two days and couldn't put it down. The writing is crisp and clean along with the characterization and Erin Lange immersed me into the story so well that at times I forgot I was reading a book!

One of my all time favorite books is WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. BUTTER deals with real life issues just like in WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS, though on a totally different scale and I now place BUTTER alongside
Matt
May 16, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
When lonely outcast 16-year old Butter decides to post a website proclaiming a countdown to his New Years Eve event: "Butter's Last Meal" where he plans to eat himself to death live, he finds that his popularity explodes. Suddenly, the 432-pound Butter finds himself inside of the cool crowd, buds with the jocks, invited to all the parties, and - for the first time - Butter finds he has friends, and the girl of his dreams doesn't seem so unattainable.

But as time goes on the the clock counts down
Ash Rocketship
Jan 09, 2015 Ash Rocketship rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
1. I didn't realize this was a young adult novel when I bought it, so I was actually expecting a grossly morbid story devoid of plot and morality, which I was looking forward to. When I realized it was a young adult novel, I knew I was in for something moralistic and terrible. My fault, obviously.

2. I cannot imagine that Erin Jade Lange has ever been fat, known a fat person, or even seen a person who actually weighed 423 pounds.

3. The writing was flat, boring, and sloppy. Sometimes getting thr

Sue
I wasn't sure what to think when I started this novel. The premise disturbed and fascinated me, but I had put off reading it for a few months since it had arrived in our library. I should have read it the minute it entered our doors. I finished it in a day and it is occupying a dark corner of my brain, and may do so for some time.

Butter is a morbidly obese sixteen year old on the cusp of entering senior high school. His nickname is the result of a horrifying bullying incident about 5 years befor
Jenni Arndt
Sep 04, 2012 Jenni Arndt rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Butter was a book that I knew I had to read. As someone who has had eating disorders around her all her life I am always intrigued to see how an author handles the subject. Now, we get to read about anorexia and bulimia all the time, but I have never come across a book that tackles the other end of the eating disorder spectrum. That's right, we finally have a novel about obesity
Anjana
Jul 13, 2012 Anjana rated it it was ok
JP/Butter is an obese boy in high school with a love for the saxophone and quite obviously, food. Butter's high school life involves him pretty much being ignored by everyone as he's way past the weight to be bullied as the fat kid; most of his classmates just feel sorry for him now.
He's also crushing on a girl from his school called Anna, but she'd never talk to him if she knew who he really was so he uses fake online identity called JP, claiming to be a boy from a nearby high school, and gets
Roxanne
Mar 20, 2012 Roxanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-get-books
First off:
Kid eating himself to death?
Really?...
I love the idea... but on the internet?
Not so sure anymore.
Second off:
Kid gets encouragement?
Really?
Is he that unpopular they want to see him die in front of a webcam?
How cruel and Sadistic...
This sounds like a kind of bully story that I'll love.
Now I sound like the sadistic one.
But hey if it's about teen angst or something of the sort.
You got me wanting it.
Conclusion:
I want this book. And Butter... I hope you don't want 'fame' that mu
Rebecca
Maybe I'll have better luck another time but for now, this isn't really working for me. I liked the representation of binging, obesity, etc. and starting to address important issues, but I struggled with the characters and tone. I was already fed up with the romance.
Cory
Jun 26, 2011 Cory marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Fans of Fat Kid Rules the World
I read the unedited first chapter on AW. I think this will be awesome and I eagerly anticipate it.
Alicia Siekierski
3,5 stars**

This book was incredibly well written and the structure was great overall. Even though the pace was really fast, for some reason I didn't get as involved in the story as I wished but I think that maybe if I read this story in the past when I was having thoughts similar to Butter's, I would have given this book 5 stars.
Ruth
Feb 20, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
Shelves: ludicrous
What the fuhhhh?
Chantelle
SIGNED COPY OF BUTTER UP FOR GRABS!!!! FROM MAY 13-19 I AM HOLDING A GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!(US only)

The full review can be found here.

Butter was utterly captivating; from the cover, to the blurb, to the first paragraph through to the last. I honestly can't remember ever being so enamoured by one book, which unfortunately makes writing a comprehensive review a lot harder! However, if I could only use one word to describe this novel, it would probably be 'morbid', but let me explain.

"Butter" is a t
Bookish♥Sarah
Oct 26, 2012 Bookish♥Sarah rated it really liked it

Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

16-year-old “Butter” pretty much hates his life. He's tipping the scale at over 400 pounds. His only joys in life are food and playing the saxophone. His mother tries to make him feel better by giving him even more food. His father hasn't spoken to him in a very long time. The kids at school treat him as if he's invisible.

Butter's loneliness and pain escalate when an incident at school pushes him to the edge. This is when he decides to e
Angie
I've been wanting to read Butter forever, and I'm so glad that I finally did. It's heartbreaking, funny, disturbing, cute, and eye-opening. Butter is sixteen and weighs 423 pounds. He eats, and eats, and eats some more despite being told he needs to lose wait. He believes he's a lost cause, so why even bother? It's not like he's picked on at school. He's mostly just ignored, although the kids only ever call him by his nickname. But one day, that changes. He puts himself out there, only to have f ...more
teleri
May 11, 2015 teleri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to teleri by: Myself
Shelves: 5star
Carrie Ardoin
Aug 13, 2012 Carrie Ardoin rated it really liked it
Life is lonely and hard for 16 year old Butter. He's tipping the scales at over 420 pounds, and the ruthless kids at his high school gave him the unflattering nickname, that unfortunately stuck. The only things that gie him joy in life are playing his saxophone, his online relationship with a girl from his school (who doesn't know the truth about who she's talking to), and of course, eating.

Finally, Butter reaches a breaking point and decides to put up a website, where he proclaims that he will
Eleanor Luhar
Dec 02, 2015 Eleanor Luhar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember my friend talking about this book a while ago, but I didn't know anything about it. But then I saw it on Goodreads and decided to check it out of my library.

'Butter' is big. Like, 423 pounds big. He has no friends, unless you count Doc Bean or the Professor.

Despite spending many summers at FitFab - a summer camp for the slightly -ahem- larger population of kids - he just can't seem to shed the excess weight. In fact, all he ever seems to do is gain more.

Butter also has a crush. But he
Katy Noyes
Apr 24, 2014 Katy Noyes rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Everyone calls him Butter. He's so large that he's beyond bullying at school. His dad has stopped talking to him. His mum can't stop cooking him comfort food.

Butter has passed 400lbs. His only pleasures are playing his saxophone in the privacy of his own room as his guilty online relationship with the beautiful Anna, who only knows him as SaxMan. But as everything around him just falls apart, on a whom he decides to create his Last Meal website - where he will select a menu and eat him
Tasha
Jan 07, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Bullied because of his weight, Butter eats alone at a table with a special bench in the cafeteria. He sits alone in each class, thanks to his specialized desks. His parents struggle with his weight to, his mother continuing to try to get him healthy food and his father basically not speaking to him at all. Butter’s one big connection is with his online girlfriend who doesn’t realize who he is and who is starting to pressure him to meet in person. As Butter’s life continues to become more and ...more
Cecilia Gray
Sep 24, 2012 Cecilia Gray rated it really liked it
Butter follows the titular character on a quest to commit suicide by gluttony online after being bullied into this breaking point, but he finds his morbid goal gives him a newfound popularity and friendships that are ironically tied to his willingness to die in such a spectacular fashion.

Butter is about the new wave of bullies. Sure, it has old school bullies that give the fat kid his nickname of Butter, but it is too easy to demonize bullies who use physical intimidation. Lange doesn't make th
Keri
Jan 31, 2014 Keri rated it liked it
Life at 423 pounds would be difficult for anyone, but as a high schooler, Butter knows that it’s almost unbearable. Because of his weight, he alienates himself from everyone around him at school but finds solace online with one of his fellow classmates, Anna, who doesn’t realize that the person she’s talking to online is actually Butter and who is in love with this online persona. After trying to stand up for Anna in person and shot down in front of the entire cafeteria, Butter decides that he’s ...more
Autumn Franklin
Sep 30, 2014 Autumn Franklin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Butter; a 423 pound 16 year old antisocial teenage boy. You might have trouble making friends too. Butter spends his days in his room talking to his online girl friend a.k.a. the most popular girl at his school Anna. She thinks she is talking to her football player boyfriend who goes to another school. Who she has never even seen a picture of, or so she thinks. One day after a bad day at school, he is so disgusted with himself he decides that his only option is to kill himself. And he decides to ...more
Tammy
Sep 12, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
It took me a long time to get the courage to read this book. I thought it was going to be a tragic story and in many ways, it is. It is also a story about love and friendships and family.

Butter has always been the fat kid, spending his summer days at glorified fat camps, that always promised but never delivered. Always blaming everyone else for his problems. After a terrible incident at school; he decides to end it once and for all.

Instead of being bullied or being the school outcast, Butter st
YA Writers and Re...: Butter by Erin Jane Lange ->Start Date: Feb 1st 2014 12 18 Feb 04, 2014 09:39AM
  • Personal Effects
  • Trafficked
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • Touching the Surface
UNOFFICIAL BIO:

author, journalist, obsessive-compulsive list maker.

AWKWARD 3RD-PERSON OFFICIAL BIO:

Erin writes facts by day and fiction by night. As a journalist, she is inspired by current events and real-world issues and uses her writing to explore how those issues impact teenagers.

She is an only child, so she spent a lot of time entertaining herself as a kid. This required her to rely heavily
More about Erin Jade Lange...

“If you just stop expecting perfection from everyone and everything, you might see the good stuff outweighs the bad. And then maybe someday you’ll look in the mirror and see the same thing.” 9 likes
“If you want to stay, I can meet you after the scrimmage. You could come to my house or I could come to yours or we could meet at the library or a coffee shop or..."
Stop talking, asshole.
"Or we could go somewhere with Wi-Fi or somewhere outside or..."
Oh my God, I hate myself right now.”
6 likes