Start by marking “Scribbling in the Sand” as Want to Read:
Scribbling in the Sand

Scribbling in the Sand

Singer/songwriter Card explores the biblical foundations of true Christian creativity. With Jesus as his model, he shows how understanding God's creative imagination leads to a lifestyle of humility.
Hardcover
Published August 1st 2002 by InterVarsity Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Scribbling in the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scribbling in the Sand

Rebekah Choat
Sep 21, 2009 Rebekah Choat rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Best known as a singer/songwriter, Michael Card is also a gifted author and teacher. In Scribbling in the Sand, he looks at a familiar narrative from an imaginative perspective and highlights aspects of the story that we may not have seen before.

A woman caught in adultery was brought before Jesus. “What do you say we should do with her?” the good men of the town asked. His response was not any of the answers they had anticipated. He didn’t come down emphatically on the side of the law. Neither d
Tim Hoiland
Dec 01, 2011 Tim Hoiland rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz
In his excellent book Scribbling in the Sand: Christ and Creativity (InterVarsity Press), singer, songwriter and Biblical scholar Michael Card makes the connection between art and the biblical prophets, emphasizing the generally overlooked spiritual significance of the imagination.

“Through the prophets we come to understand that God is out to recapture all that we are or can hope to be,” he writes, “not just the mind or the heart but the mind of the heart, the heart of the mind, which is the ima
Catherine Gillespie
Feb 02, 2015 Catherine Gillespie rated it really liked it
I loved Michael Card’s Scribbling in the Sand: Christ and Creativity. An excellent and inspiring set of essays on how to be a Christian artist, this book gave me a lot to think about as a writer. While Card doesn’t think that Christians should use their art (music, writing, painting, what-have-you) as a bludgeon for evangelism, he does have unique insights into how being a Christian changes how you’re an artist.

{Read my full review here}
Debbie Hoskins
This was the book that I made people read at my Visual Journaling workshop in 2005. It is a very good book. It was the first time I realized that in the Bible it actually says that Jesus kneels down and scribbles in the sand, before he decides what to do with the woman the people want to stone. Now I'm very used to the idea, so it doesn't have the power it did in 2004. I've gotten to hear Michael Card sing, play piano, and speak at Calvin College. He makes you cry. He is very true. I like that h ...more
Jkanz
May 22, 2016 Jkanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I want to be creative. I really do. Professionally, I work as a neuropsychologist, which is typically not known for its creative side. But I desire to love God completely--not only with my mind, but with all of who I am. Michael Card has been a wonderful guide for me, helping me to open up my soul and to be awake to the wonder of life.

Even if you don't consider yourself an artist, I would strongly recommend this book.
Marion Hill
Jun 22, 2012 Marion Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A nice book about the role of Christ and Creativity. A good read!
Irina T
Feb 17, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly inspiring and Christ-centered. Michael Card's book really directs your focus and thoughts toward God and Jesus and makes you want to know Him and to love Him and to obey Him more.
Christina
Apr 13, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic thoughts about the value of creativity to a follower of Christ. The kind of thoughts I hadn't heard in a lifetime of sermons.
C.T. Casberg
Feb 27, 2017 C.T. Casberg rated it liked it
A fairly basic evangelical self-help/inspirational book, this one aimed at Christians with aspirations to the creative arts. Decent for its inclusion of letters written to the generic Christian artist by the likes of Rookmaaker and Makoto Fujimura, but otherwise, eh. Evangelical non-fiction is all pretty samey, and this one is no exception. I'd rather read commentaries by Malcolm Guite.
Kate
Jul 07, 2017 Kate rated it really liked it
Easy to read & understand. Challenging to live by.
Martie
Feb 25, 2017 Martie rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on creativity I have read. Very inspiring! Bought it as gift to various friends.
Lydia Howe
Dec 31, 2015 Lydia Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reviews
I didn't connect with this book as much as I thought I would, hence the three stars. I have a feeling that if I were to re-read it I would up the rating to four stars.

I've enjoyed Michael Card's music for my entire life and had the privilege of attending one of his concerts and meeting him in person last month. He, and his music, have been a huge inspiration for me as a novelist. Despite having spent almost half of my young life deep in the world of writing, I've rarely read any books on the cr
Rick
Jul 02, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Generally good and at times excellent where this Christ-centered book resonated strongly for me. Short of 5 stars only because it didn’t offer actionable information or lessons except through the addendum that addressed this critique as a sort of literary afterthought. Loved the personal references to stargazing and God's creation.
Jan 09, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I expected! It was recommended to me, so I got it w/o knowing really what it was about. I marked up my book and will have to go back and review my notes and maybe blog about this one.
ByTheFire
I love the author's emphasis on the spirituality of creativity...especially noteworthy are the letters at the end of the book. This book can wait patiently on the nightstand for weeks and deliver an inspirational jolt when opened again. I would want this book if stranded on a dessert island.
David Ryan
Really appreciated this book by Michael Card. Took it with me for my vacation devotionals and got so much out of it that really spoke to my heart. Great insights on the creative process and the encouragement to "gaze upon the beauty of the Lord".
Hannah
Jun 13, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly quick listen, though plenty to chew on. The Calvin Miller / Phil Keaggy collaboration may be my favorite part.
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 Christopher M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book about art and worship in the life of a follower of Christ. A must-read for Christians involved with or interested in art.
Adam
Jul 31, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
The best book on Christian aesthetics I've ever read, from a devotional standpoint. Not the most profound or dense, but definitely the most impactful.
Michelle
Michael Card writes about creativity. Some interesting things to say, but not the best written or most theologically sound book I've ever read.
Shannon
Jan 19, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nonfic
A fresh approach to this subject matter, focused mainly on the necessity of imagination in spiritual life.
Letitia
May 22, 2007 Letitia rated it really liked it
This is a must-read for any Christian artist, particularly the letters to artist in the back of the book.
Avril Vandermerwe
Jul 29, 2014 Avril Vandermerwe rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much, I will read it again and again. It is a beautiful and inspiring look at creativity as an expression of relationship with our Creator.
Tim
Jul 17, 2008 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a non-artist, I found this helpful personally and it helped me in better understanding the artists in my church.
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Christopher Frazier
Christopher Frazier rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Katie W
Katie W rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Aymara
Aymara rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Lap Dancing for Mommy: Tender Stories of Disgust, Blame and Inspiration
  • More Jesus, Less Religion: Moving from Rules to Relationship
  • Knowing God by Name: Names of God That Bring Hope and Healing
  • Let the Journey Begin: God's Roadmap for New Beginnings
  • Hard Sayings of Jesus
  • Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living
  • Praying the Psalms (By Thomas Merton)
  • The Practice of God's Presence
  • Storm Warning
  • What's So Amazing About Grace? Study Guide
  • Study Bible KJV - Scofield Reference Bible
  • What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the
More about Michael Card...

“all art forms attempt to translate what is unseen into what is seen. Painter Joel Sheesley states, "I ... suggest that the definition of content in art is very much like that New Testament definition of faith that calls faith `the substance of things hoped for."' Art, especially as we engage in it with a redeemed vision, becomes an activity of faith, translating the "substance of things hoped for" with words, paint and other materials into the content and form of art.” 1 likes