Start by marking “All Things Bright and Beautiful” as Want to Read:
All Things Bright and Beautiful

All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small #3-4)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  58,781 Ratings  ·  709 Reviews
James Herriot has now become firmly established and accepted as one of Darrowby's veterinarians. He's also married, and lives with his wife Helen on the top floor of Skeldale House. His former boss, now partner, Siegfried, lives downstairs with Siegfried's brother Tristan.James continues the rich and rewarding day-to-day life of a small-town veterinarian, and we journey wi ...more
Published 1978 by Pan Publishing (first published 1973)

Jason Koivu
Dogs, cows, horses, sheep, cats and more die, while others are saved, some miraculously so in this continuation of James Herriot's series based on his experiences as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales of Northern England.

The gorgeous Yorkshire Dales...
description

The vast and windswept Yorkshire Dales...
description

This time around the country vet deals with drunk farmers, gets drunk on the job himself, has his Christmas spirit dashed and renewed all in one day, laments the disappearance of horses from farms, puts up with a
Melissa
Mar 12, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In fact it set me to thinking about the big question of how girls might be expected to behave after marriage. One old farmer giving me advice about choosing a wife once said; "Have a bloody good look at the mother first, lad. " and I am sure he had a point. But if I may throw in my own little word of counsel it would be to have a passing glance at how she acts towards her father.

Watching her now as she got down and started to serve my breakfast the warm knowledge flowed through me as it did so
Nate
Mar 24, 2008 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series - of which I have now read the first two - is the most fun you can have reading books. They make you want to go to Scotland, hole up in a cottage, drink tea and read some more James Herriot. I don't want these books to ever end. As an aside, this isn't a novel, rather its a collection of short stories, each one just the right length for before bed.
Negin
What can I say? I simply love James Herriot. He was an absolute natural with story-telling. This book, just like his first, is heartwarming and puts the reader through an entire gamut of emotions.
Helena Rae
Feb 07, 2017 Helena Rae rated it really liked it
“Those were the days when I was most grateful I was in country practice; the shirt sleeve days when the bleak menace of the bald heights melted into friendliness, when I felt at one with all the airy life and growth about me and was glad that I had become what I never thought I would be, a doctor of farm animals.” – James Herriot

This book could make the most hardened city dweller want to give up their cosmopolitan lifestyle and buy a farm in the countryside with a couple of pigs, sheep and a wor
Ashley
“It was one of the most satisfying experiences of my working life. Not clever, but a magical transformation; from despair to hope, from death to life within minutes.”

James Herriot’s memoirs are my desert island books. If I ever embark on an iffy boat trip, they’ll be in the top of my bag, right next to the matches and Wet Ones. They’re comfort reads of the best kind—not in the sense that every story ends happily (some don’t), and certainly not in the sense that life in rural England was easy (it
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 25, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The James Herriot books are a bright memory from a difficult time in my life. Struggle lightened by the laughter brought through these pages. Also some painful moments because life has it's painful moments and they can't be avoided. He told them just as he told the others. While I have read that the stories related here were not necessarily told in order or as they happened exactly, this is a wonderful book (these are wonderful books) not to be missed.

I can't recommend these highly enough.
Abigail Hartman
Just about as hilarious as "All Creatures Great and Small," although I felt a rising panic every time Granville Bennett showed up. Towards the end of the book World War II arrives and Herriot, Tristan, and Siegfried have to enlist, so there were some moving chapters when James takes leave of the Dales. As with the first book, plenty of drinking (Granville Bennett!) and swearing (Siegfried!).
Elizabeth McDonald
Dec 26, 2008 Elizabeth McDonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people wanting to feel a little better about the world
Shelves: british, biography
I always enjoy rereading James Herriot's memoirs of his experiences as a veterinarian in Yorkshire in the first half of the previous century. His tales of treating farm animals and household pets, and of the human characters he met along the way, are what I have to describe as "heart-warming". They're not saccharine, though, I promise. He's funny, too. Even though I've read his stories multiple times since middle school, I find myself laughing aloud.

This book comes second in the standard sequenc
María Paz Greene
BUENO, aunque no tan increíblemente maravilloso como el anterior. Las historias son un poco más repetidas, y además se nota que el autor ya sabe que lo que escribe va a ser leído, entonces a veces fuerza un poco el "punch line" de sus anécdotas.

¡Pero igual bueno! Y, ya lo dije, me dan ganas de haber nacido en otra época, o de hacer que en ésta vuelva esa sensibilidad e intimidad hacia TODOS los animales, y no solamente hacia los perros y gatos que, dicho sea de paso, era "de debiluchos" mantener
Emily
Dec 20, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, memoirs, 2015
Gorgeous. A slightly more mature follow-up to "All Creatures Great and Small." In this collection, Herriott is married, gets drunk on the job, and cares for a variety of pets and farm animals. I'll listen to the other "sequels" but I'm in less of a hurry to do so than after the first of the series.
Amy
Jan 07, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful wonderful book. All the stories were my favorites and at the end of listening to this I was tempted to just start it over again.
Brittany
May 01, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Things Bright and Beautiful picks up where All Creatures Great and Small leaves off: with Jim's wedding to Helen. (I remember as a kid it confused the heck out of me that the books didn't go in the same order as the lines in the hymn did.) However, the book is not strictly chronological. One of the things that makes it such a leisurely, wonderful read is that the chapters are mostly self-contained.

This is a wonderful book to listen to on a road trip because the chapters read a bit like shor
Michael
Jan 26, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books you read where you just wish you could live in the world the writer portrays. James Herriot is like that for me. His stories of 30s rural Yorkshire life as a vet are warm and engaging, funny and lively. He has the ability to stir the soul, as when he writes about treating the last plow horse before tractors take over farmwork, and the funnybone, as when he describes his dealing with his crazy boss, Sigfreid.

This is another book of short stories, loosely held together as one
Emily Collins
Jun 26, 2012 Emily Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Herriot book, they're just so.. soothing to read. I mean, nothing much really seems to happen. You don't ever hang on the edge of your seat because of the suspense, it's just... pleasant. Here, let me tell you about these wonderful animals I once treated in a nice farm out in Yorkshire. That's all this book is somehow, and yet I love it! It's wonderful!
Of course, it helped that I was reading this while on holiday in Britain, so I was going to all these places mentioned in the book, which
Leah
Mar 03, 2017 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still very much enjoying this series that is masterfully narrated on audiobook by Christopher Timothy, the actor who played James Herriot in the BBC TV series.
Eligah Boykin jr.
Jan 16, 2013 Eligah Boykin jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this book because it is essentially about work and how to make your work a career you can be proud to remember in your retirement. Newly married and yet still subject to calls at all hours of the day and night, Herriot has the slightly world weary amusement of a country veterinarian. This book is great because you get to meet animals with personalities as eccentric as their owners and appreciate what it is like to deal with pregnant horses, cows, pigs and goats. The author also has a g
Barb
Feb 23, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this delightful series of books back in the 1970s when they were first released. I was a teenager then, and I find that a lot of the books I loved as a teenager are not as enjoyable to me when I reread them as an adult. Not the case here. Although I did listen to the audio version this time instead of actually reading the book, I found it just as delightful and pleasant as I did when reading it all those years ago. The reader on the audio version's voice complemented the written word, and ...more
Josiphine
James Herriot is one of my all-time favorite authors and I firmly believe that everyone should read at least one of his books (if you can manage to stop at one). His acute depiction of human nature as well as his incredible writing and delightful sense of humor make this a book that is practically perfect in every way.
Anne
The sale on this book has ended, and it's now $9.99. But I hope you got a copy. If not, check out your local used book store. Most of them have multiple copies at very inexpensive prices. It's worth the trip. Or, heck, it's even worth the $9.99. Just read it.

********************************************

Another of James Herriot's hilarious and heartwarming memoirs, this book is on sale starting today at Kindle for only $2.99. I highly, highly recommend the entire collection of his books. You will
LibraryCin
This is Herriot's second book about his vet practice in rural England in the 1930s. This one starts just after he has married Helen and ends with him joining the Air Force (presumably just before the war?). At this point, he is trying to expand the practice (which includes brothers, Siegfried and Tristan) to include more small animals (pets).

He is such a great storyteller! Not only does he include stories about the animals he treated, but he has stories about the people, in general. You can tel
Julie
Jul 11, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On audio another wonderful continuation of James Herriot's veterinary adventures on the Yorkshire Dales and Moors as well as in the town of Darrowby. Loved all the stories of working and healing the animals (esp. the dog stories). My only gripe is on audio, the music that comes in and out is a bit distracting, but that's minor. This book wasn't quite as good as the first, probably because he meets and courts Helen in the first, but it was still great! Really special on audio too for you get the ...more
Martel
Jun 12, 2016 Martel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read
Another lovely book by James Herriot, veterinary doctor and author. As usual, each sentence manages to be matter of fact as well as filled with the love of animals, nature and mankind. Poignant stories, weird stories, funny stories... all the facts of rural life narrated with compassion, benevolence and humor.
Don't read or listen to this in public. This will make you cry, exclaim, and finally laugh out loud (in that area the anecdotes including Granville Bennett were priceless) without restraint
Chana
I love this book, and all the books in the James Herriot "vitinery" series. I always cry when I read them; from the love of the animals, the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales, the power of love and laughter in the writing, and a nostalgia for that time and place although I was not born yet nor am I British. I've read this book before and will probably read it again. These stories of the animals and people of the Yorkshire Dales and their veterinarian James Herriot are classics and beloved by animal ...more
Sep 14, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was like a trip down memory lane... I was one of millions of children who watched the old TV series so many years ago. This time I listened to the audiobook; a very relaxing and enjoyable autobiographical collection of anecdotes and short stories leading up to the Second World War. Totally recommendable to anyone who likes animals and rural life in general.
Kristi
Nov 21, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few audiobooks I don't speed up. James Herriot should be savored and not rushed. Much like fine chocolate should be allowed to melt in your mouth, not chewed. Delightful.
Lacey
Feb 09, 2017 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Herriot's stories are just nice. I wish there were more.
Valerie
The titles of these books were different in Britain, and so the books are somewhat out of order for Americans. The American editions have the text of the hymn in the front. It's such a beautiful poem that I wondered why I hadn't ever heard the hymn before. Then I heard it...and it's AWFUL. Somebody would be doing the lyrics a significant favor to reset them to different music. If even my cousin, who consistently won audiences with his dynamite Al Jolson impression couldn't make it sound good...

H
Audrey
Mar 05, 2017 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 in a 4 part series of stories from an English veterinarian's life in the Yorkshire countryside during the 30's and 40's. The chapters are fairly short and are usually self-contained stories with a bit of ongoing storyline to tie it together. They are funny and light-hearted, so if you like animals, you will probably enjoy this series of books.
Dale
Mar 14, 2008 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Play Book Tag: All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot 4 stars 4 12 Aug 13, 2016 10:55PM
i can't get thru it. 33 184 May 07, 2013 01:43PM
Yorkshire 3 25 Dec 06, 2012 01:28PM
  • Living Free (Story of Elsa, #2)
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Cat Who Came for Christmas (Compleat Cat #1)
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Never Cry Wolf
  • Beasts in My Belfry
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • Bring on the Empty Horses
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog
  • Man O'War
  • The Man Who Listens to Horses
  • Rascal
  • Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk