Start by marking “Founding Foodies” as Want to Read:
Founding Foodies

Founding Foodies

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  33 reviews
More than just political revolutionaries, Washington, Jefferson and Franklin had a passion for food and set early standards for today's gourmet American meals, from what we like to eat to the liquor we drink. This unique gift book with over 30 illustrations also includes forty of the Founding Fathers' and Mothers' favorite recipes, modernized for today's cook. Includes:
Jo
Published November 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published June 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Founding Foodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Founding Foodies

Dorrit
The Founding Foodies is one part history, one part cookbook, one part travel guide, and one part bibliography. Unfortunately it does none of them well (ok - to be fair, I didn't read the bibliography carefully - maybe it does that well). The history section rambles somewhat incoherently and tries to cover far too many people for the brief space making it hard to grasp much about the topic. The cookbook section presents a collection of modernized recipes for colonial dishes. It is roughly as cohe ...more
Nini Villanova
OK, this book was VERY interesting, but it was poorly written, and I would venture to say questionably researched. The author seems to have done his primary research on wikipedia and then backed himself up by doing follow-up research afterwards. In addition to poor research, the author begins chronologically, but then begins jumping around as the book continued. I do want to play around with the recipes, which look interesting and worth a try (do I smell a dinner party coming up?)
Coleen Dailey
This book was an easy read and combined two things I really love - history and food. It reveals a lot about how certain foods became "american" as well as some historical background as to the why. No Jefferson did not invent ice cream, but his recipe is included which makes the book all the more fun. There is also a listing of restaurants and places to visit. Of the five restaurants listed, I have eanted and 3 and loved each one. Enjoy or perhaps Bon appetit!
Jill
Being non fiction, it was a bunch of new facts about the founding fathers and their likes foodwise. Fascinating to think about how much work it took to prepare their food and about the fact that they thought a lot about trying new tastes. So much so that they imported the newest things to eat to this country. Many food myths are dashed like macaroni's origin, ice cream, and I was surprised to learn that potatoes weren't staples in the colonial diets. Loved the devotion of Thomas Jefferson to map ...more
Julieann Wielga

Jefferson and Franklin traveled widely traveleld widely in Europe. They brought home ideas about unusual foods. Jefferson was a gardener and fascinated by the science of plants. He tried many non-native plants in america such as Olive Trees. He was a huge fan of wine. He had his half brother-in-law, James Hemmings, as his cook in Paris. James become a honored Parisian cook and brought the knowledge of how to make these delicassies, sauses to America. Jefferson as governor and president hosted ge
Emily
This started out with the promise of being a good, if not great, food anthropology of early America. Not well written, but maintained by a subject of interest to me and providing expansion on things I had already studied. Unfortunately it turned into a complete breakdown of disorganization and repetition. Just when I reached the point where I felt I could no longer continue I happily discovered that the last 125 pages are recipes, bibliography, travel recommendations (do you really need to tell ...more
Lindsey Duncan
An entertaining look at the early history of food in America and the Founding Fathers who were greatly influential in its development, this book was full of delightful information. The period recipes, presented verbatim, are fun to read - and definitely give you an appreciation for modern cookbooks, because I would hate to try to follow one. Be aware that book is perhaps mistitled; the first segment of it (a significant portion of the book) is not so much about founding foodies as it is about th ...more
Lars
This was a delightful look at the food culture of the early years of the Republic, and the salutatory impact that our founders had in this under-appreciated part of our history.

As an author of historical fiction of this period, there are a lot of little insights, a-ha moments and tidbits in this volume, both from the culinary and the historical side of things.

The addendum of modernized recipes are an interesting addition, though it seemed that relatively few of them were directly derived from re
David Kopec
Interesting, Great Anecdotes

After reading this book, I certainly have a much firmer understanding of the culinary history of the United States. The author is a good story teller. His many historical, cultural, and culinary anecdotes are fun, interesting, and insightful.

The material gives a sense of historical place for America's cuisine. Did you know just how old our barbecue tradition is? Or, that cider was once more prevalent than beer in some parts of the country? These are the sorts of tidbi
Cheryl
By my 4-star rating, I am not saying that this is an extremely well-written book (although I am not sure what I would have improved on it, at the same time); I found the anthropology of foods in America extremely interesting...especially as it dealt with the influence of my Founding Father heroes upon foods. This was truly a book for foodies! I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes as they were executed more than 200 years ago!
Becky Diamond
An interesting compilation of the impact of our Founding Fathers on food in America. I especially liked the info on Jefferson, and descriptions of Monticello - definitely want to visit there now, especially after reading DeWitt's helpful historical site guide at the end. I also enjoyed all the recipes in the back updated for today's kitchens and ingredients.
Jill
Dec 11, 2011 Jill added it
Evaluation: This is a tremendously entertaining book that combines history with food facts and quite a few recipes. The recipes look surprisingly good – or not so surprising, considering that colonists were big on adding butter and cream to almost everything. Highly recommended for enthusiasts of both food and American history!
Sue
I was somewhat disappointed in this book (although I was probably not the intended audience). A bit too general, I also found the book to be oddly organized, the recipe sources poorly chosen, and the research seldom going beyond the surface level. If you're looking for an introduction to the topic you might enjoy this book.
Larry Brennan
Unfortunately, there's not a lot that's new in this book. The recipes are interesting, but the history and food history parts are slightly repetitive, don't flow together well and just aren't all that interesting.
Pat George
The weaving of the culinary passions of these historical men is a new perspective on history and a fleshing out of the their lives as farmers and experimenters with growing dood, plants, trees, and drink.
Melissa Rueter
Fascinating material but not a particularly well-written book. Perhaps the food-writer author should have collaborated with a historian (and a more aggressive editor) for tackling such a topic.
Tasha
Mar 30, 2012 Tasha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasha by: Jill aka Softdrink
Diane S.
I really don't know how they cooked from the early recipes but I suppose they were familiar with instructions. Interesting fast read, probably more a 3 1/2 stars.
Dixon
The recipes were very interesting, but the prose was lacking. I really loved the pieces of food history, I just wish it was composed with a little more consideration.
Julie
I am a nerd, but I loved this book. Buy a book on every vacation- this was my Virginia Book. Learned so much in an entertaining way
Teri L.
Interesting overview of the founding fathers most focused on food. Great bibliography, and many recipes in original language.
Norah
The book is full of interesting facts and tidbits, but it is not well-written, so at times it felt like a chore to read.
Isabelle Himmelberger
Yes, it wasn't the most fascinating literature, but the information within the book was very interesting. Learned a lot.
John Hornyak
An unconventional look at the founding fathers influence on America. The book includes a number of different recipes.
Kathryn Mckendry
Some interesting things. I'm not sure what I expected from this book but somehow I was disappointed.
Anne
Looks at history from a food perspective. The title is a bit misleading; recipes included.
Diana Duncan
The best part of this book is the bibliography of books on food and drink history
Jennifer Cook
Mostly about Washington and Jeffrson. Washington was VERY interesting.
Daniel
Disappointing. Sloppily written, repetitive and not well organized.
Jessie
I look forward to trying some of the recipes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Finding Betty Crocker: The Secret Life of America's First Lady of Food
  • The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook
  • Something from the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden
  • American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields
  • Independence: The Struggle to Set America Free
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
  • Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes: Nine Indian Writers on the Legacy of the Expedition
  • Driven Out: The Forgotten War Against Chinese Americans
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • The Mindset Lists of American History: From Typewriters to Text Messages, What Ten Generations of Americans Think Is Normal
  • American Revolution: Writings from the War of Independence (Library of America #123)
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
  • Knitting America: A Glorious Heritage from Warm Socks to High Art
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
The New York Times calls this author "The Pope of Peppers" and TV viewers recognize Dave DeWitt as the ever-affable chile pepper expert and organizer of Albuquerque's huge annual National Fiery Foods and Barbecue Show. Dave is also the author of more than 40 food related books, including the best-selling "The Complete Chile Pepper Book," "The Southwest Table," and the forthcoming "Growing Medical ...more
More about Dave DeWitt...
The Complete Chile Pepper Book: A Gardener's Guide to Choosing, Growing, Preserving, and Cooking 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes The Spicy Food Lover's Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Buying, Growing, Storing, and Using the Key Ingredients That Give Food Spice with More Than 250 Recipes from Around the World The Pepper Garden The Whole Chile Pepper Book