Start by marking “Telling Tales” as Want to Read:
Telling Tales

Telling Tales

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Rarely have world writers of such variety and distinction appeared together in the same anthology. Their stories capture the range of emotions and situations of our human universe: tragedy, comedy, fantasy, satire, dramas of sexual love and of war in different continents and cultures. They are not about HIV / AIDS. But all twenty-one writers have given their stories--chose ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Telling Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Tales

Blood River by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Africa
226th out of 1,246 books — 1,236 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherChasing the Devil by Tim ButcherThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverOut of Africa by Isak DinesenThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Best books for an African Safari
174th out of 398 books — 646 voters

More lists with this book...

Liz BooksandStuff
Mar 03, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it liked it
This collection is a great introduction to the amazing writers, if you ever want to have a taste of these incredible authors, this is a great collection to see if their writing style is your thing.
The best in my opinion are:

"Bulldog" by Arthur Miller, "The Firebird's Nest" by Salman Rushdie, "Death Constant Beyond Love" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "The Age of Lead" by Margaret Atwood, "Witness of an Era" by Gunter Grass (from his book "My Century"), "Sugar Baby by Chinua Achebe, and "The Ultimat
Alejandro Teruel
Jun 16, 2014 Alejandro Teruel rated it liked it
Shelves: usb, ficción
A curious 2004 collection of short stories edited by Nadine Gordimer and contributed by twenty-one outstanding living writers (at the time of publishing) including five Nobel Prize winners (José Saramago, Gabriel García Márquez, Günter Grass, Kenzaburo Oe and Nadine Gordimer herself) for the benefit of the estimated 40 million people infected with HIV/AIDS.

None of the stories is directly about HIV/AIDS and it is interesting to speculate on what went through the minds of the writers when they wer
Gilgamesh  Nabeel
Dec 24, 2014 Gilgamesh Nabeel rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
A great collection of short stories from around the world, it might be one of the best collections of such world renowned writers who have achieved prestigious prizes in literature, and they gather here to show our world’s cultural diversity and allocate the money of publishing this anthology to fund the researches and educational programs to combat AIDS/HIV.

“Bulldog” by Arthur Miller, it reminded me of my family when we bought Piny through an ad in the paper. My sister’s desperately missed our
Gilgamesh Nabeel
Feb 06, 2015 Gilgamesh Nabeel rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature

Sean Gainford
Jul 29, 2009 Sean Gainford rated it it was ok
Missed Opportunity

There are a few good short stories in this collection, however the majority are average or below average. It seems like most of these writers choose their stories on the basis of trying to show how clever they could be, or to impress academics or maybe just their writer friends. They were definitely not thinking of their audience: an average fiction reader who wants to learn about different cultures, worlds, and wants to have a bit of entertainment, along with wanting to help c
Rebecca
May 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The awesome thing about this book, which is an anthology of contemporary short stories, is that none of the authors received any royalties for having their stories appear in the book, and none of the publishers made any profit from producing it -- all of the book proceeds went to AIDS research and treatment for African communities. None of the stories were about AIDS, but it was nice to participate in something like that.

The charitable assets aside, the anthology itself was incredibly diverse an
sheena
Mar 16, 2011 sheena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-oz, anthology
Man.

Telling Tales is the literary equivalent of your favourite variety snack pack. Margaret Atwood, Chinua Achebe, Susan Sontag, Günter Grass, Arthur Miller and Christa Wolf (and so on!) all pop up with brilliant tales. Pretty sure at least five of the twenty-one authors are Nobel Prize Winners in Literature, and there are a few perhaps not so widely known authors with their own gems as well. And let's not forget Woody Allen.

The best part of this anthology is that all profits go to HIV/AIDS educ
Mallory
Sep 07, 2014 Mallory rated it it was amazing
A little uneven in a few places (I really disliked one or two of the stories) but the good is so good that it more than makes up for the less palatable. This is a rich and varied collection (which may explain, based on the different authors and kinda of fiction presented, why there were bits I disliked) that is not to be missed.
Wendy
Jul 27, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
I don't generally read short stories by choice because I find them dissatisfying. When I read, I want something I can crawl inside and absorb into, and with a short story, I barely have time to look around when suddenly it's over. But I chose this collection looking for stories to read with my seniors this year, and it is a good one. Not sure how much of it I'll use with my students, but I actually enjoyed it a great deal. The selection of authors is impressive -- Achebe, Atwood, Marquez, Sarama ...more
Marianne
Jun 12, 2016 Marianne rated it liked it
This anthology is a collection from very esteemed writers, but I agree with the other reviewer that said it was dark and depressing. Still and all, short stories are good ... if dark and depressing, it only lasts for a little while. An intelligent read.
Claire
Jun 27, 2007 Claire rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Something of a greatest-hits list of authors currently living. They primarily have very, very different styles, which makes this a perfect before-bed read. Gordimer does an excellent job of mixing them so that two consecutive stories aren't alike, but aren't different enough to be abrasive if read in order. One of the most interesting parts was the last few pages when the contributors are able to describe themselves; I was a bit surprised by who submitted a laundry list of impressive accomplishm ...more
Juliet Kanjukia
Jan 23, 2016 Juliet Kanjukia rated it really liked it
Part of the reason why I give 4 stars to this book is because it introduced me to new authors! Es'kia Mphahlele, Michel Tournier, Paul Theroux and Claudio Magris, all of whom I loved. However, there's certainly too much death in this collection of stories.
Michelle
Jul 20, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I was initially drawn to this collection because I lost both my parents to AIDS but found these master storytellers offered far reaching and broader life lessons. Arthur Miller's "Bulldog" powerfully presented a young boy's loss of innocents. I was affected by the way he focused on small moments, memory and mystery. Paul Theroux's "Warm Dogs" left me to reflect on my own struggle with the "heart vs. head/intuition vs. logic" balance. I could go on and on. Each story was wonderful and certainly w ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I love short stories as they make me feel like iI have accomplished something in an evening. Not all of the short sotries resonated with me though, like Susan Sontags short, Im still trying to unravel that. Overall the book was an emotional roll-a-coaster and I have revisited "Death of a Son" twice now because of the beauty in the story telling but the pain in the narrative also. I recommend pruchasing the book for two reasons a.) proceed benefit AIDS in Africa research and the authors of the sh ...more
Alex Roma
Aug 21, 2016 Alex Roma rated it liked it
I realized when I started reading this that I had torn out the Woody Allen story upon purchase of the book and that made me happy because fuck Woody Allen. Still, it wasn't my favorite anthology. A few of the stories were very good. I loved the Margaret Atwood one. A few of them tried to be very deep or to ~capture the essence of human nature and they just didn't click with me. I will say, I liked the cause, all of the money went to HIV/AIDS research, and they were all very well written. It's ju ...more
Erinina Marie
May 31, 2007 Erinina Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erinina-approved
Telling Tales edited by Nadine Gordimer

This book was a gift from my roomate. It is one of the best gifts that I have ever recieved as a writer and avid reader. I am normally disappointed by anthologies or short story collections, but this book is the best of the best as selected by themselves. There are some true gems in this book. While quite a few are centered on death or relationships, these are the major drives in our nature, I suppose. Also the proceeds go to a good cause, the fight against
Heather S. Jones
i picked this up at the UN when i was working there and had *salman rushdie*, john updike, and nadine gordimer sign inside the coverpage!! DREAM! i looked into the eyes of RUSHDIE and exchanged a few words with UPDIKE the darling of the newyorker. such a thrill!!

the collection of short stories from incredible writers all over the world is such a treasure. the contributors were told to contribute one of their own favorite pieces of writing.

it's been a great read on these long train rides through
Vaiga
Sep 26, 2014 Vaiga rated it it was amazing
Labai puikus apsakymų rinkinys. Galima greit susipažinti ir pamėgti naujų rašytojų ir atpažinti bei pasimėgauti senais pažįstamais.
Mark Swain
Mar 01, 2014 Mark Swain rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Some of the writers I thought I'd enjoy, however I didn't. But those were balanced perfectly by the ones that were a pleasant surprise. I loved Bulldog by Arthur Miller. I feel in the end it just edges a four star.The others I especially liked were Margaret Atwood (a surprise) and John Updike. I will read more of both of these as a result.
MariMel
Jan 06, 2013 MariMel rated it liked it
Great authors, great writing, but sooo depressing. Do we define great literature now by how dark it is? Can't good writers write anything nice, inspiring and uplifting? At least the essays by African authors opened my eyes to a very different (and more difficult) life than my own. But all the essays were sad, which just doesn't seem necessary.
Hamsaveni Vigneswararao
Aug 22, 2013 Hamsaveni Vigneswararao rated it really liked it
This book was a collection of short stories put together to raise money for HIV/AIDs patients. As in all anthologies, there will be some stories that appeal and others that don't, since there are so many different styles. It's still a good read for those who like both modern and traditional fiction.
Rebeca
Sep 03, 2011 Rebeca rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories and excellent selection of contributing writers. You won't regret spending time with these batch of shorts. Perhaps it was premature, but when I finished reading the first short story by Henry Miller, I knew I was going to enjoy this book.
Anna
May 31, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a quick read
This anthology of short stories includes famous authors and nobel-laureates that are contributing their talents for the fight against AIDS. There are several profound stories and it's nice to know that all efforts in creating/selling this book go towards a good cause.
Ирина
Nov 22, 2007 Ирина rated it it was amazing
Совсем другие истории
Составитель Надин Гордимер
Антология
Издательство: Открытый Мир, 2006 г.
не понятно, зачем г-н А.И.Блейз перевел эти повести с англ.
когда уже есть переводы с языков оригиналов
kihan
Feb 14, 2007 kihan rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Collection of handpicked short stories by many talented writers from all over the world for HIV education/treatment effort. Stories, though not about HIV-AIDS, are serious and most of them classics, for which the writers took no money for this anthology.
Susan
Feb 17, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Susan by: Tiphanie
07/08: Now I have 2 copies of this book! An ARC and the normal one!

Lots of different styles represented in this collection.

"The Firebird's Nest" by Salman Rushdie and "The Letter Scene" by Susan Sontag are among my favorites.

Grade: B+
Tyler
May 08, 2009 Tyler rated it really liked it
A wonderful anthology, though Woody Allen's piece was totally out of place. I laughed at it but was irritated that it was in there. I guess he wouldn't be surprised at being called irritating, that's like "his thing."
Beverley Kaye
Dec 12, 2013 Beverley Kaye rated it it was ok
A collection of 21 short stories from an international group of writers, five Nobel prize winners, with a diversity of themes and cultures. A excellent introduction to this esteemed group of authors.
Claire
Mar 23, 2007 Claire rated it liked it
Not usually a fan of short stories...but these were sort of neat because they were from all over the world - plus all the proceeds go to AIDS programming - so yes you should buy it even if not to read it...
Clint
Sep 18, 2010 Clint rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I read this book for class, and I really liked a couple of the stories (Salman Rushdie, John Updike, and Jose Saramago), but most of them kind of remind me why I don't like most modern books.
  • The Best American Short Stories 1997
  • Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology
  • The Best American Short Stories 2009
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather
Nadine Gordimer was a South African writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature. She was recognized as a woman "who through her magnificent epic writing has – in the words of Alfred Nobel – been of very great benefit to humanity".

Gordimer's writing dealt with moral and racial issues, particularly apartheid in South Africa. Under that regime, works such as Burger'
More about Nadine Gordimer...

“المسوح وحدها لا تصنع الراهب” 3 likes