Start by marking “Homosapien” as Want to Read:
Homosapien

Homosapien

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Patrick and David are friends who run a gay bookstore, and life seems simple and safe enough until the day when unexpectedly he walks in – six feet tall, gorgeous and built like a dream. But Homosapien isn’t welcome in their world; he’s a professional wrestler, and everything he does is fake. So he can’t really be gay, can he, or interested in either one of them? Can they ...more
ebook, 2nd edition, 278 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Manifold Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Homosapien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homosapien

Mandy*reads obsessively*
There is just something about Julie Bozza's books that make me slow down, read very leisurely and just relax.
Every book of hers I read is like that, it's written in a way that just makes me take it all at a little less hectic pace. That's not to say her books are boring, far from it. It's just a gift she has, I guess.
This book is told in an interesting way, Patrick is the narrator, but the main couple is his best friend and boss David and his wrestling Hero Homosapien aka Adam.
There is humor and
Sofia
Oct 11, 2015 Sofia rated it liked it

I started this and I thought that the different would not work for me but I continued for a bit. I had forgotten that this was a Bozza and so it had the Bozza magic. Because Bozza is like a chameleon, she is able to play and change per story. And she drew me in and I continued till the end as she made me interested even in a pro-wrestling fantasy which I really thought she wouldn't.

I would have loved closer contact with the characters but I found how Bozza told the story playing with th
Meep
Feb 27, 2015 Meep marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Highly original pov! The story is first person from an observer who invents what he doesn't wittness. Welcome to Patrick living vicariously through David.

Credit to Bozza for attempting something different instead of sticking to trusted paths. Unfortuantely the result left me disconnected, Patrick has a lot of personality but it's not him we're reading about.

If the pov works for you then there could well be an engaging story here, but it doesn't work for me, I quit early.

Christmas freebie 2015
Heller
3.5

This was an interesting story but the way it was told left me feeling a bit disconnected to the MC's.

David owns a book store, Patrick is his employee, and Adam(Homosapien) is a professional wrestler who happens to wander into the store one day. Hijinks ensue.

Patrick tells the story and he has own little side adventure as well, one that I actually got quite interested in but it's pretty light on details, sadly. Patrick narrates sometimes from having been at the scene of the crime, other time
Misty
Apr 07, 2014 Misty rated it it was amazing

I'm simply WOWed!

What a crazy brilliant book and what a multitalented writer!

This multilayered novel is a skilful mixture of documentary, reality-show and behind the scenes, exploring the rather perplexing world of professional wrestling.

For me, the uncommon writing style combined with humorous and witty dialogues give the novel a very dynamic rhythm. The subject is stimulating and original. I do so love Patrick and David but my favorite is, no contest, Adam!

The book is not only funny but is
Book Utopia
Mar 30, 2011 Book Utopia rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance

I am neither a wrestling fan nor an enthusiast for sports books. I’ll even admit I have a small resentment toward wrestling since my college boyfriend was obsessed with the WWF. But I was intrigued by the blurb and excerpt of this particular book, so I decided to give it a shot. I am thoroughly glad I did.

David owns Q4, a gay bookstore in Boston. His best friend and employee Patrick is a wrestling fan and has a poster of his favorite wrestler, Homosapien, hanging in their little sofa no
Jenre
Oct 25, 2013 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a mixed, but overall positive response to this book. One one hand I loved the quirky narrative that mixed Patrick's very accessible narration with amusing interviews and descriptions of the pro-wrestling matches. It was fun and lively and certainly kept my interest in the book. I also loved the understated romance between the very different Adam and David, seen through Patrick's eyes, and the much needed touch of the darker storyline between Patrick and Mr TDI. The pro-wrestling background ...more
A.B. Gayle
Jul 08, 2013 A.B. Gayle rated it it was amazing
After reading, and loving, four of Julie Bozza's most recent books, I had been checking this one out, but the reviews and the fact I'm not a fan of pro-wrestling made me wary of buying it.

However, I am a big admirer of Julie’s writing and her recent post into why she wrote the book made me curious: http://juliebozza.com/?p=1077

And I'm so glad I succumbed to temptation, as her story actually deals with the aspects that turn me off: the fakery, the frenetic fanfares, the fans themselves.

If you’re
Marge
Jan 24, 2016 Marge rated it really liked it
Like many others, I wasn't really interested in wrestling. But the themes of what is real, what is fake, and what is real even if you know some of it is faked turned out to be really interesting. Excellent characters all around, and I felt the love story still worked nicely even as told from the friend's point of view. And the ending of the book was spectacular--I went back and reread the entire section again to enjoy it a second time.
Simsala
Nov 10, 2010 Simsala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
4,5 stars
Story about a gay pro-wrestler causing a `war` between `good` and `bad` guys in a touring pro-wrestling show.Told in first-person narrative in present tense.Sounds awful,but it worked - at least for me.
The unusual writing style made the story come alive and real with many laugh out loud moments.
The romance is on the backseat in this story - vague and tame(no sex-scenes) - the actual star is wrestling.
I still think that pro-wrestling is ridiculous but Homosapien was a funny and entertain
Elisa Rolle
Oct 26, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2011 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Ann
Jul 05, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 rounded up to 4 because it was different and I like different.

This book was uniquely written and I think you will either embrace the style or it won't click. Either way, I thought it was refreshingly different.

This is definitely more of a story about wrestling than romance. There is romance there, but it is alluded to more than shown. There are some very sweet bits between Adam and David, but if you are looking for full scale romance you won't find it here.

I don't think you have to be a w
Antonella
Nov 13, 2011 Antonella rated it really liked it
4,5

Probably it is not fair to give a book with the undertitle ''a fantasy about pro wrestling'' a lower rating than it deserves because of... too much wrestling. It is a very good book, but there are no half stars on GR: also 4 it is ;-).
Uli
Jun 06, 2015 Uli rated it it was amazing
The writing style might take some getting used to, but for me it was a nice change from the standard... :)

I liked Patrick's way of telling the story a lot and I liked him as a character.

Interestingly every one of the (for me) possible pairings for an HFN or HEA would have made me happy.

This book might actually make me watch some wrestling on TV!!! :D
Mary Mary
Apr 11, 2015 Mary Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, dnf
DNF
I stopped reading at 20% or sth like this.
It's not for me.
Elci
Aug 13, 2013 Elci rated it really liked it
3.5

This was a tough one to rate. Such awesome word building. I didn't feel like I got to know the characters due to the format, but then again I have been known to watch wrestling live. So...
Karin Wollina
Aug 25, 2012 Karin Wollina rated it really liked it
liked the writing style, funny and thoughtful. I watch wrestling with my husband and always thought the staging very interesting
Louan
Feb 07, 2015 Louan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I expected. The narration was a bit confusing at first, but I got used to it. The author did a great job describing the balance between real and acting when it comes to pro wrestling. The non-wrestling based storyline was sweet, but had me wanting a bit more depth to it. I was totally lost about Patrick's Mr. TDI, and would have loved to see more interaction between Adam and David.
DL
Jun 17, 2013 DL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. With reservations. The story was told in first person, but not by the person involved in the actual romance, not even by the people who were involved in all the conversations that were related. I liked the characters but never felt fully connected with them. I liked the story but the descriptions of the wrestling matches got long winded and ended up boring me. The MC was having some sort of relationship, a bad one, with Mr. Tall, Dark and Intense, and that might have been all ...more
Ingrid
Nov 10, 2010 Ingrid rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
What shall I say? I was majorly disappointed with this book. The blurb sounded so well. But I just did not like the way this book is written.
PaperMoon
Delightful reading - the main characters are great.
K
Dec 24, 2014 K marked it as lurking-in-kindleland  ·  review of another edition
ARe freebie 24.1.14
Caroline Minic
Caroline Minic marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Rita-Teodora
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Jggt
Jggt marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • End of the Trail (End Of The Trail, #1)
  • Fool's Errand  (Fool's Odyssey #1)
  • Prize Package
  • Equals (Equals #1)
  • Treasure
  • The Best Ever
  • Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles, #1)
  • Cricket
  • Jumping Into Things (Thatchers, #1)
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • First Flight
  • Ravages
  • Coffee Shops and Condoms
  • Island House (Dropping Anchor #1)
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Eight Days
I was born in England, and lived most of my life in Australia before returning to the UK a few years ago; my dual nationality means that I am often a bit too cheeky, but will always apologise for it.

I have been writing fiction for almost thirty years, mostly for the enjoyment of myself and my friends, but writing is my love and my vocation so of course that’s where my dreams and ambitions are.

In t
More about Julie Bozza...