Start by marking “Switch on the Night” as Want to Read:
Switch on the Night

Switch on the Night

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A LONELY LITTLE boy who is scared of the dark sits in his room alone, with only light for company, until a little girl named Dark appears and shows him that light switches don’t just switch off the light—they switch on the night. And to switch on the night is to switch on the stars, the moon, the crickets, and the frogs. With the Dillons’ dreamlike illustrations, Switch on ...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Switch on the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Switch on the Night

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburySomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Illustrated Man by Ray BradburyDandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Best of Ray Bradbury
31st out of 104 books — 202 voters
Sabriel by Garth NixThe People Could Fly by Virginia HamiltonA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le GuinHoney, I Love and Other Love Poems by Eloise Greenfield
Cover Art By Leo and Diane Dillon
31st out of 41 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Nov 07, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful children's book by Bradbury and illustrated by Caldecott winners. It deals with the common childhood fear of the dark. Rather than suggest all the imaginings of a fearful child are baseless and therefore easily dismissed, Bradbury awakens the senses to the wonders of the night so a child can find the beauty to counteract the fear. It's a lovely little story.
Jaimie
Jul 01, 2015 Jaimie rated it liked it
Most of Bradbury's novels deal with quite dark themes, but thankfully this book for children did not take up the same themes. The story is about a young boy who is terrified of the night, but who conquers his fear when he meets a young girl who teaches him that turning off the lights is just another way to turn on the night. Through his change in perspective the little boy is able to discover all that the night has to off - crickets, stars, and games with his fellow children. Bradbury's prose is ...more
Luisina
I just read this for the first time in maybe 20 years, and I think I loved it even more than when I was a kid. My parents really knew what they were doing with the books they gave me. Delightful.
Feather Mista
Se tarda unos minutos en leer pero deja unas cuantas ideas que espero todavía me ronden en la cabeza a la horas de transmitírselas a las próximas generaciones.
Simón Vásquez
Aug 15, 2016 Simón Vásquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quién lo diría Bradbury, quiéen lo diría...
Dolly
Jan 17, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A bedtime story as only Ray Bradbury could write. It's a good story for those among us who are afraid of the dark and it provides a unique perspective on what you can discover when you "Switch on the Night." The illustrations are a bit bizarre and surrealistic, but interesting nonetheless. Our girls liked this story, although they wonder why I won't let them play outside in the dark.
Melanie
A young boy is afraid of the dark and must have all the lights in the house on if possible. One night, when everyone else is gone, he turns every light in the house on. Then a young girl knocks on the door and introduces herself as Dark. Dark takes the boy by the hand and gently introduces him to the night and proves it's nothing to be afraid of.
David Allen
Mar 11, 2012 David Allen rated it liked it
A picture book about overcoming the fear of nighttime via a clever, typically Bradburian premise (don't switch off the lights, switch on the dark), with illustrations by the masterful Leo and Diane Dillon. I don't know if it works as a children's book or not, but as an RB fan I'm glad to have finally read it.
Abel
May 16, 2015 Abel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonito y entretenido, para contarselo a los peques
Adam
Jul 17, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story. It's too bad Bradbury never did more children's books; his prose style is well suited to them. And the illustrations to this later edition are very good (though I would like to see the 1955 original someday). The Dillons' work here evokes both M.C. Escher and Chris Van Allsburg.
Audra Green
A kids book by Ray Bradbury? Awesome. As a former outdoor educator and camp counselor, this book is perfect for prepping kids for night games or activities, or for those that have fears of the dark. Instead of switching off the light -- we switch ON the night!
Catherine
Nov 18, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I never knew that Ray Bradbury wrote a children's picture book. This is such a fun story.

Full review on my blog.
Vicki
A cute way to help a child get over his/her fear of the night and darkness. It opens up a whole new world of what the Night is like and makes you imagine a world without it.
Thea Marlowe
Jan 15, 2014 Thea Marlowe rated it it was amazing

Sweet children's book, great nephew Coltin/Age 6 loved it!
Now each night at bedtime, he states "Switch on the Night" when turning lights off :o)
Adelina
Oct 11, 2008 Adelina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I really enjoyed the concept of this book. One I will definately read to my kids as they get older and develop fears.
Christina
Mar 18, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is cute. Not super fond of the artwork for a children's book.
Ojan
Sep 07, 2013 Ojan rated it it was amazing
AWESOMEST BEDTIME STORY EVER!!!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ashley Arvidson
Ashley Arvidson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jason Nadal
Jason Nadal marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Maria Petersen
Maria Petersen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Eunji Kang
Eunji Kang marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
PennyD
PennyD added it
Jun 06, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Anne-Bénédicte
Anne-Bénédicte marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • To Every Thing There Is A Season
  • How to Paint the Portrait of a Bird
  • A Million Fish...More or Less
  • CDC?
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Let's Be Enemies
  • I See a Song
  • Dinosaur Time
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • What Happens on Wednesdays
  • Mama Says: A Book Of Love For Mothers And Sons
  • How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story
  • Fox
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt! (DK Readers Level 1)
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...