City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)

City of Ruins (Diving Universe #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Boss, a loner, loved to dive derelict spacecraft adrift in the blackness of space.... But one day, she found a ship that would change everything - an ancient Dignity Vessel - and aboard the ship, the mysterious and dangerous Stealth Tech. Now, years after discovering that first ship, Boss has put together a large company that finds Dignity Vessels and "loose" stealth techn...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2011)

Jason Pettus

Whenever I read a book like Kristine Kathryn Rusch's City of Ruins, the latest release from our pals at Pyr, I can't help but to think of that endless roster of thirty- and fortysomething nerds who have cranked out livings over the last couple of decades as writers on weekend genre television shows, stuff...more
Stefan
One of 2009’s most pleasant surprises was Diving into the Wreck, a short but excellent SF novel by Kristine Kathryn Rusch about Boss, a specialist in the exploration of derelict spaceships. In this first novel, Boss discovered the wreck of a Dignity ship. This remnant of a legendary Fleet contained remnants of the mysterious and dangerous “stealth technology” that could possibly tip the balance of power between the Enterran Empire and a small alliance of independent planets.

In City of Ruins, the...more
Mike
So, as you may or may be aware I was rather a large fan of Diving Into the Wreck. I have a bit of a thing for derelict space ships so it is no small surprise that a sci-fi tale about a character whose job is diving abandoned ships would appeal to me. As it turns out, generally speaking any story that in some way involves Exploration of the Unknown is one that will have my rapt attention. This is a good thing when it comes to City of Ruins which, as you might have guessed by the title, trades in...more
Paradoxical
I went into City of Ruins rather eagerly after finishing the first book of the Diving Universe series. I wanted a bit more mystery, a bit more of Boss's level headedness, a bit more of space and the unknown. What I got left me was a sense of anticipation that burned throughout most of the book and an end that I loved.

Boss and the rest of her crew (new faces and old) are actually planet bound for this book. They're excavating some ruins that one on Boss's team thinks contains stealth technology....more
Jacob Proffitt
Again, Rusch proves that she can grab your attention and hold it, spellbound, for the length of a novel. This book feels more unified than Diving Into the Wreck as it all takes place in the same location and features the same people. I liked that and I ended up liking the bifurcated narrative as well.

City of Ruins adds a new perspective and alternates more-or-less evenly between Boss and Captain Cooper of the Dignity Vessel Ivoire. This is pleasantly disconcerting, at first, because it's unclear...more
Melissa Proffitt
This sequel to Diving Into the Wreck feels very different, and while I wouldn't say it's a better book, I do think it's more suited to an ongoing series. Where Diving Into the Wreck was a thriller, City of Ruins is science-fiction adventure at its finest.

A few years after Boss (and now it's established that this isn't her name, but a title) and her team discover stealth tech, she's established an organization dedicated to finding Dignity Vessels and securing them so the Empire (which is trying t...more
Раян
Having utterly and totally loved Diving Into the Wreck, I was thrilled to discover that it was not, as I had erroneously thought, a standalone novel, but rather part of a series. What I loved so much about DItW was the pitch-perfect sense of isolation, claustrophobia, and foreboding that characterized the sequences in which the characters explore long-derelict spacecraft with pernicious, incomprehensible, often fatal technology on board. Those parts of the book scared the hell out of me and gave...more
Randy Mccallum
The second in a series of books about a woman that dives derelict space ships and is battling family and the Empire to find out the meaning of 'stealth technology' and how it works. I started off not being a fan of the way the writer wrote this but couldn't put it down over the last 100 pages. Most sci fi books downplay the inherent danger of working in space. In most sci fi books power trains just work (although some have actual science behind the them, or at least the possibility) and people l...more
Kevin
This is the sequel to Diving into the Wreck, and the second novel set in the Diving Universe. City of Ruins is an excellent, fast paced, space adventure filled with suspense and mysterie. Fans of space exploration should love this. Read Diving into the Wreck first though.

I liked Diving into the Wreck well enough, but it is surpassed in every way by City of Ruins. I flew through the book in a single afternoon, aided by the author's clean and clipped prose. Not a word is wasted on excess detail an...more
Andrea
This is an unusual series. On some levels it's more about being a people manager than anything else. The protagonist is known (so far) as "Boss" and between this book and last she's increased the number of people she is the boss of exponentially. A second viewpoint character who could reasonably be called "Captain" continues the theme. There is a vast number of named characters, drawn in swift strokes, and in their way all management issues for Boss or Captain.

There are strong similarities betwe...more
G33z3r
I enjoyed Rusch's sequel to "Diving into the Wreck", but not quite as much as the predecessor.

The character known only as "Boss" returns, this time exploring a possible site of stealth technology buried beneath the surface of a planet. She continues to be cautious, deliberate, and methodical in her procedures, which may make the beginning seem a little slow. This is space exploration like NASA, not Buck Rogers. Boss has an expanded team of a few old colleagues and many new specialists to manage...more
Jim
To echo my Diving into the Wreck review, I don't like the use of present tense (or present continuous tense), especially using first person. Some chapters were first person of someone other than the protagonist, which worked well.

I liked this sequel much more than the first book. Too much time was spent setting things up (perhaps because I read the first book). Went a little long before things started really happening. But once it started moving, it just kept going.

It would have been nice to spe...more
Eric
If Diving into the Wreck's progression was slow, City of Ruins' pace slows down to a crawl. There really is not a lot happening for 90% of the book, and where in the first book the dangers of deep space diving are the cause for all the preparation, apprehension and careful consideration of every move, there is no such reason for it here, yet it manages to slow down even more so. What seemed to be a series with potential has now been turned into a flat and relatively boring piece of work.
70/100
Jeff
Mar 08, 2014 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
This was first read of the series for me and so far my favorite. Better constructed than the novella collection Diving the Wreck, it brought operators of Dignity Vessels into contact with Boss's team. A well paced, hard to put down story.
Kathy
Boss is persuaded to investigate the city of Vaycehn on a planet in her search for stealth technology. She's doubtful she'll find anything but she's about to get the biggest surprise of her life. This novel, unlike the first book in the series Diving into the Wreckis told from the viewpoint of two differing characters.

However, I have to say I'm starting to get annoyed by Boss (she-of-no-real-name) and would probably be reluctant to get a third book in the series despite the interesting ending t...more
Shawn Camp
Rusch never disappoints here. The buildup may have been a bit slow at first but once the teams start getting together everything sails towards the end.
Richard
Because I had read a later book in the same series (Boneyards) before I read this one, I was already familiar with some of the characters. This book introduces the Ivoire, a "Dignity Vessel" from 5,000 years in the past, with its captain "Coop" Cooper, into the story line. The book is very well written, but the ending is a bit abrupt, perhaps because it was originally published as a novella in a science fiction magazine. No editing errors were observed, loose ends were tied up at the end of the...more
Glenn Mcconnochie
Boss make's everyone call her "Boss" even if they don't work for her ... What a silly twat!
Josh
This book was significantly better than the first in this series (though that one wasn't bad). The big difference is that this is a single story told in detail, rather than a series of short stories stitched together into a novel.

The plot still focuses on an attempt to recover stealth technology, but this time on a planet instead of in deep space. It also adds a good new main character who is pleasantly complementary to Boss, and the possibility of a fully functional ancient ship with stealth te...more
Taracuda
More please!
Intriguing premise and good stand alone adventure that just begs for additional adventures. Enjoyed the twists on time/space continuity and really curious to know more. Oddly, my favorite detail was the difference on bone structure and weight that showed the impact of gravity on humans, which really made it feel like a complete world with its own rules in a way a mere hovercraft or spaceship didn't.

J.
Jul 14, 2013 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book was short and sweet, I'm really enjoying this series. Boss is probably my favorite female protagonist ever, she is mature and demanding, a far cry from the whiny, needy, or catty female protagonists I've come across in the past. I hope Jennifer Van Dyke narrates this entire series, she has become Boss in my mind.

Looking forward to the next book.
Mitchell
3.5 of 5. Endeavour read. Related novellas collected as a book. I liked it better than the previous book but I liked the main character less - actually giving up her name and only going by Boss was annoying. But the concept of an underground space base was kind of cool. But a lot of the setting and characters were more of a sketch than fully realized.
David Marshall
As a sequel, it's better than the first Diving into the Wreck, but it's not very impressive. I prefer books that think about what's happening around the events described. Separating the events from their contexts makes for a shallow read.

Amanda
I have a soft spot for Boss and her no-nonsense, well-planned and executed missions. I also love her unflinching honesty about her own bad judgment. The writing is as spare and minimalist as the main character, very refreshing.

The cover of course continues the long-standing sci-fi tradition of not reflecting the story at all.
Marci Glasgow-Haire
Enjoyable book. I seem to have come into the series with book 6 (I think?), but I didn't feel lost at all. I'm sure the significance of many things were lost on me, though, so I'll probably re-read this one after I've read all the previous ones. I think I'm going to really like this author!
Kirk Sluder
A nice continuation of the series, but a bit thin on narrative. The use of dual narrators works well, but a little bit stiff. The cover illustration just looks baffling and awkward, although it manages to avoid many of the usual problems of illustrating female protagonists.
Edie
Excellent continuation of Diving the Wreckage. Still good science fiction, still good characters. I particularly liked justaposing the two timeframes.
Bonnie
Quite an enjoyable bit of SF adventure. It's well worth the read. It was very hard to put down. Rusch, as always, delivers something unique and enjoyable.
Vince
Jun 04, 2011 Vince rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, sf
A great sequel to Diving Into the Wreck!! I really like the writing style of Rusch and a follow up would be a must read for me!! Beautiful!
Stephen Graham
The pacing of the story suffered in part due to the pacing of the exploration contained therein. Thus the novel felt longer than it was.
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Ares Express
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Up Against It
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Final Days
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Echo (Alex Benedict, #5)
  • Dragon Ship (Theo Waitley, #4) (Liaden Universe, #17)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (Les Lames du Cardinal, #2)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw...more
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...
The New Rebellion (Star Wars) The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2) Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)