Calling for Angels

Calling for Angels

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Em never believed in angels. That was until she met Zak and Kai…

Em - shy, sensitive, with her head in the clouds - and Caitlyn - gorgeous, popular and talented - have been best friends forever, in a sleepy, nondescript town called Philiton.

But when new boy Zak moves into town, Philiton suddenly becomes a much more interesting place. With his meltingly hot looks, sense of h...more
152 pages
Published November 15th 2010 by The Red Telephone

Jody
Em is a little overwhelmed with her life right now. She’s worried about her family, and is having a hard time connecting with her best friend. She feels scared and alone until two very different boys show up and things begin to change in ways she never expected.

Not your typical teen romance, Calling for Angels skilfully avoids the incredibly overdone angst-ridden teen love triangle. Alex Smith has done a wonderful job of capturing the voice and concerns of today’s teens without being overtly se...more
Ivana
(the actual rating is a bit over 4, but not quite 5)
Calling for Angels was such a cute novel! I devoured it in two sittings. Page after page, it impressed me more and more. Alex, who wrote this novel when she was 14, has more talent than most YA authors out there. Being a teenager herself and writing about things characteristic for her age (creating an image of yourself in comparison to her peers, experiencing first love, loss, family issues), Alex has created wonderful characters and a heartwar...more
Alanna
I wasn’t sure if I would like this book or not, it would either be a hit or miss… but I did like it. The story was short, sweet and entertaining (and when I say short, I mean that -- it’s only 146 pages).

I was impressed that it was written when the author was 14, she writes better than a lot of adults I know (myself included). At times her age really showed though and that was both good and bad.

The good thing was that the characters were realistic; they acted their age, their dialogue was age ap...more
Val
Calling for Angels, is a short but sweet story that captures your heart. I was really excited to review this book. The publishing company is based in the UK, but what really intrigued me was the fact that this book was written when the author, Alex, was only 14! She has shown more potential than many authors twice her age!

The main character in this book is also fourteen, but the age really didn’t make a difference, she was a relateable character. Em is a unique girl, she reaches out to readers b...more
Michelle (Clover Hill Book Reviews)
This review is also on my blog, Clover Hill Book Reviews.

The cover on this is different - I didnt grasp the full meaning of the illustration until after the explanation in the book. Gemma, the main character doesn't believe in angels, until things start to go wrong in her life, and in desperation she asks for help. She finds a mini wooden carved statue in her pocket, which turns out to be a mini replica of her guardian angel, Kai...who has a similar mini carved statue, but of Gemma, which is ver...more
Karen
Calling for Angels is the story of a teenage girl and her relationships with a fallen guardian angel and the new boy at school that she is inexplicably drawn to.
I have pretty much had it with a teenage girl lusting after the two hot boys – one good/one bad – that love her. I was pleasantly surprised with this book! It never happened. Instead we have a pretty level headed 14 year old girl and two very nice boys. Em is a bit of an outcast. Her best friend Caitlin, if you could call her that, is b...more
Tasha
Calling for Angels is a cute story about Em, a quite, unique girl. She lives in a small sleepy British town where she doesn’t really fit in with the other kids – and doesn’t especially want to. Suddenly two boys arrive in her life; the first her guardian angel, Kai, and the second, new boy, Zak.

As a character, Em was really likable. I liked that she didn’t change herself to fit in with the other girls or to impress Zak. The things she worried about were real – sick Grandmother, her brother sneak...more
Jessica
Every now and then I'm presented with a book to read that I really don't know a lot about. It hasn't gotten crazy amounts of buzz, I don't see it plastered all over other blogs, and in fact were it not for it being offered to me I likely would have missed it. These books often turn out to be real hidden gems. Books that I want to sing praises for and share with others. True to form, Calling for Angels definitely fits this bill!

Centering around the life of Em, this book was pure joy to read. Em i...more
Nina
Calling for Angels sounded pretty good to me. I mean I adore paranormal stories and there is an angel involved, but unfortunately the story didn’t grabbed hold of my attention for the entire time.

Kai is supposed to be dark and brooding, keeping a very dark secret to himself. But he just isn’t. The secret, I still have no clue what it is, yeah he was an angel, but that wasn’t hard to figure out. After finishing the book I was disappointed that I didn’t really knew who Kai was.

And then we have the...more
Maryam
Also reviewed on the blog: http://gloriousbooks.blogspot.com/201...

I was intrigued when I heard about this story. It sounded different and it immediately caught my attention – as well as the cover of course which is unlike anything I’ve seen before (in a good way).

I have to admit though, this book wasn’t entirely for me. I did like it for the most part, but I felt that the plot didn’t grab hold of me as much as I wanted it to.

I did like the idea of the story, but I thought there were too many th...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I am amazed that this book was written by a 14 year old girl. She illustrated poise and maturity beyond her years. I was impressed by the organization and writing style that she presented.

Em is a 14 year old girl going through some struggles. She is faced with the death of people that she loves. She is having problems with her friends and dealing with substance abuse by one of the members of her family.

One day she came across a gypsy woman who gave her the opportunity to pick a guardian angel....more
Kate
CALLING FOR ANGELS, by Alex Smith, is a charming story about an extraordinary girl. First off, let me just say that I was incredibly impressed that a fourteen year old- Alex Smith wrote and published a book. Em's voice was fresh and unique because of this author being the same age. Typical situations dealing with cliques and peer pressure were prevalent and it brought me back to a time where those things were the biggest issues of each day.

I felt Smith was incredibly insightful in her views of...more
Vicki Forcina
This book was a delightful story of a small portion of a fourteen year old's life. Em was an extremely likeable and relate-able character and I am sure that most readers can sympathize with many of her hangups. The book touched on religious topics without becoming preachy or self-righteous- the author kept the focus on the struggle of good beating evil. I really appreciated the fact that it is not a typical romance story and Em isn't easily taken with Zak.

It was a very cute and brief story. For...more
Amy
Inspired Kathy
Hard to believe the author was just 14 when she wrote this book! Alex Smith shows much promise and potential as a writer. Calling for Angels was a cute book. I liked it. It's a fast read worth taking the time for. There were some unanswered questions that left me a little unsatisfied with the ending but overall it was an enjoyable read.
PaulaSHx
Calling for Angels is a lovely and fast-paced short story and it showcases the talent of a very young writer. If this is what she can do at fourteen, I can't wait to find out what she will do with a little more experience. Very promising indeed.

Read my full review here: http://bit.ly/wJOSQH
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Lisseth (Read-a-holicZ)
Lisseth (Read-a-holicZ) marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Tara SG
Tara SG marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2011
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2011
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2011
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2011
Algeria's Way Four Drunk Beauties Drinking from the Dragon's Well The Berserk Getting Home