Start by marking “A History Of Russia” as Want to Read:
A History Of Russia

A History Of Russia

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  490 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Widely acclaimed as the best one-volume survey text available, A History of Russia presents the whole span of Russia's history, from the origins of the Kievan state and the building of an empire, to Soviet Russia, the successor states, and beyond. Drawing on both primary sources and major interpretive works, this sixth edition updates its existing coverage of the social, e ...more
Published 2005 (first published 1963)

Anna
Aug 11, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For an overview of Russian history, from Kievan Rus to the post-communist rule of Vladimir Putin, this book does a good job. It describes not only the usual progression of kings and wars, but goes into some detail regarding politics - both foreign and domestic - as well as trade, education-levels, social order, literature and the arts as they have shifted through the centuries.

On the other hand, this is a rather shallow look at Russian history, barely dipping its toes into the ocean of reasons
David Withun
Jun 10, 2012 David Withun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book was a very fair and comprehensive introduction to the history of Russia from its earliest origins through to today. The authors did a very good job of remaining impartial even when approaching highly controversial subjects, such as the relationship between Russia and the Ukraine; they were nearly always careful to provide both (or more) perspectives on such contentious issues. I also especially appreciated the authors' explanations of Russian culture in the various periods and their re ...more
Sharon

This is probably the best history "textbook" I've ever read. This has gotten me through my Russian history course. Never underestimate the power of a good textbook, especially in the face of a poor lecturer..
Ivan Kapersky
Jun 12, 2014 Ivan Kapersky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With all the recent activity in Ukraine and Crimea,the history of Russia deserves another opportunity to be read it again. Russia's history no doubt indeed is very complicated and uncertain. The author explains multiple theories with the origins of the Kievan Rus. The author explores each period of time with different categories as: literature, architecture,education and political organization. The version I read was the 4th which ends in 1976. The book narrative is easy and difficult in some pa ...more
David
Sep 30, 2015 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good textbook with clear and simple prose, but very dry for the casual reader. X happens and then Y happens and professors Z1 and Z2 have such-and-so interpretations, but with almost no quotations from primary sources or detail to give color (and improve retention of the material).
Simona Bartolotta
Reading this for university.
Eric
Apr 05, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and presented in a manner which I didn't think was terribly dry(warning: I'm nerdy about history), I found this to be everything I wanted in an initial foray into Russian history. Riasanovsky does not force his opinions on the reader, nor does he make any unfounded claims. Quite matter-of-fact and balanced with alternate theories presented where appropriate and sources meticulously recorded. Further, there is an extensive list of reading material provided at the end of the text for those w ...more
Vanjr
Oct 04, 2015 Vanjr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia
This is an academic textbook that covers the history of Rus/Russia to approximately 2010. Its covers both classic history but also culture of each time period. The authors are well read and sometimes appear to be unable to strongly favor any point of view. It is less straightforward than Russia and Russians which is a more one opinion work. I enjoyed learning a lot. The only flaw/disappointment was how they dealt with Stalin or rather did not deal with him. From reading this text one would not g ...more
Michael
Mar 06, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Russian historians, History students, History teachers
Recommended to Michael by: John Braun
Although German history was my primary focus in Graduate School, I would be hard-pressed to come up with as comprehensive and useful a history of that country, from its misty past in prehistory to the conflagrations of the Twentieth Century and the comparable stability since, as this book is for Russia. Unlike many of the books I read in school, I frequently turn to this one to clarify a fact or refresh my memory of the general picture of Russia at a given point in its history. When I did use it ...more
Buddy Don
Sep 02, 2014 Buddy Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is a text book, so it has everything one might hope for in a history: great bibiliography, both for English and Russian sources, great maps, fantastic index -- in fact, everything one could want to learn about Russia ... in 1984, since that's the edition I read. That means the writer could not know how certain things would turn out, and makes many of his claims easy to evaluate. He seems to have well understood the pressure Reagan's military buildup would have to have on the USSR, but he do ...more
Ariana
A very broad look at Russia's History. A good source for quick facts and a general scope on Russia, but not that great for a close look at any particular ruler.
Rosa
Mar 31, 2014 Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone quiz me on Russian history, I dare you.

I'm ready. 800 large, small text and tiny margin-ed pages ready.
Graham
Miserable writing and poor factual presentation: I am at a loss to explain the five-star reviews of this book. It is one of the most poorly written history books I have ever read. Sentences and facts are constantly qualified, as if the author is afraid to state a fact or opinion. The thoughts and flow are poorly organized, which the author attempts to correct by using long compound sentences. Frequent reference is made to other works with nothing more, like "the Slavs ate green cheese, although ...more
Mt
Oct 01, 2012 Mt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive and sweeping as the Steppe, Riasanovsky clearly demonstrates his knowledge of the history of Russia. The book provides a thorough description of the foundations of Russua--especially its Kievan roots and through the Romanov dynasty.

This edition--published during the Andropov-Chernenko transition--however, fails to draw the Russian authoritarian through-line: to rule Russia means to rule with an iron fist, whether that be Rus, Mongol, Romanov, or Bolshevik.

While aptly criticizing t
LaFleurBleue
I wanted a book that was comprehensive on the history of Russia, understandable by a layman that did not know much about it beforehand, not too boring to be able to go through the end, not too full of references to other famous historian works.
I found all of that and more. What I did not expect what that the tone of the book would be that wry and that many topics would be used as to show what the author believes to be the Russian soul and spirit (I'm not speaking about vodka there). So in a way,
Jennifer Hawran
Oct 28, 2015 Jennifer Hawran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book (the 4th edition) when I was in college. I still have it, I love it that much. And now I know that there is an 11th edition, which I want to get. But I won't get rid of the book from college. For sentimental reasons, I guess.
Samangie
Jun 03, 2013 Samangie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history lovers, those interested in Russia
Awesome overview of Russia from its humble beginnings to the madhouse it became during the post-Soviet era. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to learn about Russia for the very first time. It is also a nice resource for 'quick facts' about particular eras in Russian history/literature/political thought. It is incredibly readable as well dedicating entire sections to the aforementioned: history, political thought and literature. I managed to read the ENTIRE thing throughout the course of a ...more
Tom Batalias
Jan 21, 2016 Tom Batalias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian-history
Read this for my Russian history class in college back in the mid-80s. Very comprehensive but easy to follow linear history of Russia from earliest times through Brezhnev's death.
Michael Linton
This book was a bear of a book. It's 629 pages long and covers the history of Russia since the beginning of time. Since this covers hundreds of years, it cannot go into great detail for many of major events. Yet oddly, the author would felt it was important to cover the arts, literature, and present many statistics for every major time frame. I guess the author wanted to cover every aspect of Russian life.

Overall, I am better informed about Russia and know which topics I would want to read about
James Violand
Jul 08, 2014 James Violand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: own
A critical history text of the Russian people. Interestingly objective during the Cold War period. I used this text for a college course at Grove City College. It influenced my appreciation of other cultures.
Marco
May 28, 2012 Marco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lungo da leggere, complesso e pieno di informazioni concentrate. Copre bene tutti i passaggi storici, con approfondimento sulla cultura, arte, religione ecc...
Copre tutto il periodo dal 900 AD fino al 1986 con integrazione di Sergio Romano fino a Putin.
Lascia da approfondire in particolare il succedersi dei fatti storici particolari (guerre, battaglie , fatti spiccioli) che sono solo visti nelle loro conseguenze.
Un ottimo compendio che fa ben comprendere sopratutto quanto sia complesso e diverso
Lynn
Read this ages ago - can't even remember what my assessment of it was. Will have to read again - it's still on my shelf.
Grant
May 05, 2014 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest edition demonstrates why Risanovsky's and Steinberg's text remains the standard for undergraduate Russian history courses. This well-balanced volume covers Russia from prehistory to present, including political, economic, social, and cultural history. The last two chapters, on Putin's Russia, could use a touch more editing and proofreading, but all in all fine work.
Keeko
Sep 07, 2011 Keeko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've wanted to read this for a long time because I wanted to learn about Russia, and this is the textbook they use at UCLA, but I was a little intimidated because I thought it might be overwhelming. Once I jumped in, I looked forward to reading it every day. I learned a lot, and the index may be one the best I've ever seen.
Rachelle
Apr 27, 2015 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating to read, and extremely well-written. It was a long read for me, but I learned so much that it was completely worth it!! Russia has such an interesting history, and I can easily recommend this book to anyone who's interested in learning about it!
Loretta
Feb 14, 2014 Loretta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to update one's understanding of Russia. It was very helpful to put Russian events into perspective with American History. I really liked reading this book.
Traci McB
I am reading this for class right now. VERY interesting info, but not something you read for fun! :)
Ronald Newton
Okay, So I read the fourth edition. It was great.
I never knew Russian history was so rich and interesting.
Leigh Statham
Jun 01, 2008 Leigh Statham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. To quote my favorite college professor "Those Russians are some crazy people!!"
Matthew Pate
May 16, 2011 Matthew Pate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college
Save for the grammatical issues, the book was an interesting survey of Russian history.
  • The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture
  • The Soviet Experiment: Russia, the USSR, and the Successor States
  • The Romanovs: Autocrats of All the Russias
  • Land of the Firebird: The Beauty of Old Russia
  • Russian Thinkers
  • The Memoirs of Catherine the Great (Modern Library Classics)
  • Russia Under the Old Regime