Start by marking “Healing Add: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of Add” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,093 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow--yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Now, using breakthrough diagnostic techniques, Dr. Daniel Amen has discovered that there are six distinct types of ADD, each requiring a different treatment.

With recommendations for prescription drugs, nu
Published February 1st 2001 by Berkley Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Add, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Add

Jenette
Jun 20, 2011 Jenette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctors thought I had depression/anxiety, but when I had to change doctors and the new doctor who has a background in neurology, started asking me about the medication the previous doctor had put me on and then asking me specific questions about my life, school, organization struggles, etc. He told me I test positive for type 2 A.D.D. and not depression. Currently working off the depression meds, and starting a new course of action. This explains a lot of my frustrations I had in school growing ...more
Mark
Aug 11, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book but a a little long if you actually HAVE add
Jennifer Hughes
Loved this book. It has information I've never heard about ADHD, even though it was written several years ago. Dr. Amen is a neuroscientist who has used SPECT brain-imaging scans to see activity and blood-flow patterns of thousands of people. The images correspond with his findings on what's happening in the brains of people with ADHD (as well as lots of other things like brain injury and drug/alcohol use--take a look at real scan pictures at www.amenclinic.com--fascinating stuff). Very helpful ...more
Dana
Feb 09, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dissecting the 6 types of ADD and what can be done to deal with the disorder as it is. Living apart of a family with different types of ADD is challenging, this book helps as it does not give the simplistic antidotes about ADD = forgetfulness, HaHaHa. This gives case studies of Dr. Amen's patients and the course of action he used to bring about balance using medicine.

Now this is not a book for someone looking to diagnose themselves with the disorder, rather it gives a glimpse into how ADD manif
Jostalady
I am surrounded by people who I suddenly understood a lot better from the information in this book. It also gave me some tools to put some of them on a path to discover the truth about themselves and how to improve their lives. I noticed a lot of duplicate information in this book from one of Dr. Amen's other books I read, but if you are not planning to read all of his books you'll be glad it is in there. If you at all suspect someone you care about has ADD, this is a great starting point.
Anna Erishkigal
Jan 24, 2014 Anna Erishkigal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son's psychiatrist recommended this book. He has a sub-type of ADHD which regular stimulant medication was only causing bad behavioral side-effects (increased obsessive behavior and explosive temper tantrums). This book based on research and PET scans of kids brains helped me understand why and deal with the ups and downs as we experimented with medication cocktails which would help him with his impulsiveness (under-stimulated parts of the brain) without over-stimulating the parts which were ...more
Teresa Raetz
Dec 07, 2014 Teresa Raetz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had an ADHD Required Reading list, this would go on it. Amen's work doing brain scans of ADHD patients has yielded some fascinating pieces to the story of what may cause the disorder and what is actually happening in the brains of those who have this difference. While I'm not sure it lives up to its title to "heal" ADHD, the book provides much useful information all based in science, such as the fact that brain scans show that certain parts of the brain's of folks with ADHD may almost shut ...more
erin
Sep 08, 2007 erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with kid issues
This book describes the different types of ADD which are quite different from each other. If you have a kid with any problems with school, relationships, verbalizing, or depression, read it.
This man is a dynamo of energy and enthusiam for fixing the brain when everyone else is giving up. Often he decibes sitautions where wrong disagnosis are given to a person and their life slowly falls apart - for no reason. There are solutions. He has a practise in Cliafornia and Virginia and writes a zillion
Julie
Sep 25, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ADD in their family
This book is helping me to fully understand my son's diagnosis of ADD. So many symptoms that are mentioned in the book as related to ADD are very much my child, and I had not before associated them with this disorder. I now better understand what our pediatrician was explaining to us about brain neurotransmitters and what the effect is on the brain. Generally, I get bored reading medical-related books, but this one is so relevant to us that I am having no problems reading and understanding it.
Jeanette
Sep 12, 2008 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for parents who either suspect that their child may have ADD or has been diagnosed with it. As I read the core symptoms of ADD, I discovered that I have it myself. I've been able to function better just knowing that I have an "ADD brain". I'm not crazy or lazy, I just have to work with the way my brain acts.
Caleb Greenwood
This is a great resource that sums up Dr. Amen's work on ADD in the last decade. I have seen him speak a handful of times and having recently discovered I have a version of ADD, quickly searched out Amen resources for his wise insights and fearless non-traditional approaches.

Amen is controversial in the psychiatry world for his use of SPECT imaging, SPECT, as I understand it, provides a geographic map of the brain and detects the levels of activity in different regions of the brain. From this in
Judy
Aug 11, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was more impressed than I thought I'd be with this book.

Should a person who has difficulties assuming a "normal" life in spite of high intelligence, "settle" for a job beneath his abilities mainly so he will not be overly stressed, and then enjoy his hobbies? That's what I had decided would be best for the people I know who suffer with emotional problems.

But what if they could be treated for whatever they have, and then assume a more normal life?

page 8: Brett, 27, had just been fired from hi
Mmcjh
Aug 04, 2014 Mmcjh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The NEW edition is out, with 7 types of ADD.

After reading this book I realized few doctors are as gifted as Dr. Amen to see the details of trying to live with ADD. This book offers updated information on defining which of the ADD are the likely issues and it can be more than one type. In a kind, thoughtful, non-judgemental presentation, he offers case information to show successes thru physical exercise, type specific supplements to support brain function, and a better diet of clean meats and v
Camilla Severns
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I had originally anticipated. I supposed maybe it's because most of the information I read in the book I was already aware of.

Also the language was kind of drab, and redundant. I wish the chapters were a little more unique, or perhaps some set up in a somewhat of a different way to keep my attention.

Aside from that it really was an educational book, that I'm still glad to have read. I always like learning about the many different opinions/schools of thou
Ashley Butterfield
I found this book to be very informative and reader-friendly. Dr. Amen's style of writing was very engaging and I especially liked the case examples. As I was reviewing the 7 identified types of ADD, I thought some of the descriptions were more fitting for comorbid diagnoses rather than just ADD alone. I found Dr. Amen's treatment approach to be very comprehensive and holistic. This is the way healthcare should be provided!
Lori Watson
Apr 16, 2014 Lori Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must admit I skim read. Good info. Less engaging than the other book I read on the same topic. Lost me on the limiting TV and computer :-p, but good diet and brain scan info. The breakdown of types and the online test was also interesting.
Jessica
Apr 08, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Daniel Amen is able to explain a lot about brain activation patterns in an understandable way and there are plenty of SPECT scan images in the book that also help in visualizing how the brain is working inefficiently in some ways. He has a clinic in Reston, VA and is a proponent of neurofeedback.
Carol
Sep 22, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains good information on types of ADD and alternate healing but mostly this book reads like one long infomercial for SPECT imaging.
Beth Parkins
Sep 23, 2008 Beth Parkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am learning a ton and it is extremely helpful for anyone with ADD or anyone married to/living with someone with ADD.
Leslie Todd
Jun 17, 2009 Leslie Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the BEST book about ADD/ADHD that I've read. If you or anyone in your family has ADD get this book and read it. It's very helpful in handling ADD.
Tonya
Oct 14, 2008 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adhd
A good book, but scary. It advocates that medication is the only viable way to cure ADHD.
Michele Cacano
Jan 10, 2017 Michele Cacano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
I highlighted the crap out of this book.
I took the online test, coming up as a mix of 3-4 (I'm not sold on the last one) of the Seven Types of ADD. This books talks about each of them:
What they are
What they look like on SPECT brains scans
What the symptoms are
Case studies, before & after scans & Tx
What treatments work best for each type, including:
Food/Diet & Exercise
Supplements
Medications
Sequence Importance & Tx Plans
How to find further help
ADD Coaching
Neurofeedback
Self-hypnosis
Jaclyn
(review originally appeared on www.adhdhomestead.net.)

Psychiatrist Daniel Amen’s work is controversial, to say the least. While Healing ADD from the Inside Out has some good information, readers should also be aware of criticisms from the scientific community.

That said, Dr. Amen provides a valuable perspective on ADHD, coming from a brain science angle that many will find appealing. As his patient anecdotes illustrate, people often open up to treatment after seeing their behavior’s biological ro
Purelyamuse
Really informative. I liked the breakdown of the different types and how to treat each. Best section for teachers I've read yet. I hope to share it with others.
Elizabeth

Type 4: Temporal Lobe ADD
111 (20)
Type 5: Limbic ADD
Voitek Klimczyk
Aug 30, 2016 Voitek Klimczyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ADD is far more ordinary than people think. Most people associate ADD with extreme cases, while not knowing other behavior factors are also symptoms, such as always being late for work, or constantly needing a caffeine fix, or suddenly ignoring the person you’re talking to because you’re destracted. If you’re reading this and you have a tiny inkling that you may have some form of ADD, STOP right now and order the book. After you read it, I’d love to know what you think.

A lot of people with certa
Cathy Allen
I was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 39. I resisted the idea for about a minute: "But that is just for young boys," I said. "No," replied my doctor. "It's for everybody and I think it could explain a great deal about the problems you are describing. I'd like to refer you to a psychiatrist..."

So I got on the internet, did a self-test that convinced me, and made an appointment with the psychiatrist. She confirmed the diagnosis and asked if I wanted medicine. I didn't. "Just tell me what your fav
Ellis Amdur
Amens is, controversially, at the forefront of a revolution in psychiatry, using SPECT scans to actually observe brain activity. Thus,it is claimed, rather than a clinicians all-too-fallible interpretation of behavior, one can literally quantify and delineate exactly what is going wrong within a person’s brain. It is very possible that in 50 years or so, the entire panoply of mental health diagnoses may change – based on the observation of clear malfunctions within the brain. I am not suggesting ...more
Kristen
May 29, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Well, I'd first have to say that the title of "Healing ADD" is a bit of an overstatement. He does not make any more claims to be able to "heal" ADD than any other book recommending treatment of various kinds. With that said, I really learned a lot about the neurology of ADHD and found the SPECT images very interesting. And the 6 types that he describes are also very interesting.

He also goes into quite a bit of detail about the "games" people with ADD play and how behaviors such as conflict seeki
Elliotte Bagg
Jun 28, 2015 Elliotte Bagg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have dealt with a spotty attention span my entire life, through recent personal work I have started to look into ADD as a contributing factor to my issues, as well as issues within my family. This book breaks down the various faces of ADD through brain scans, anecdotes and what I found most fascinating; explanation of neuroscience. It opened me up more than ever before to how many factors effect how your brain functions, and has helped me form a plan to get myself and loved ones the help neede ...more
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-its
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken!
  • Attention Deficit Disorder - The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child
  • Your Life Can Be Better, Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD
Daniel G. Amen, MD is a physician, child and adult psychiatrist, brain imaging specialist, bestselling author, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and the CEO and medical director of Amen Clinics, Inc. (ACI) in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California, Tacoma, Washington and Reston, Virginia .

ACI is the world leader in applying brain imaging science to clinical practice. AC
More about Daniel G. Amen...

“Food is a powerful drug. You can use it to help mood and cognitive ability or you can unknowingly make things worse.” 0 likes
“Many people with ADD suffer from moodiness, excessive worrying, and negativity. This attitude comes from their past. They have many experiences with failure, so they come to expect it. Their “sky is falling” attitude has a tendency to get on the nerves of coworkers and can infect the work environment.” 0 likes