Start by marking “Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table” as Want to Read:
Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table

Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  579 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Eating the Moosewood Restaurant way every day has never been easier.

Whole grains. Fresh fruits and vegetables. Lean, nutrient-rich fish. We all know the virtues of a well-balanced diet—of choosing foods that nourish our bodies and respect the environment—but as the world around us gets busier and more complicated, we also know how difficult it can be to prepare a wholesome...more
Published November 3rd 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published October 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers

Kim
There were a few recipes in here I will actually try. There's lots and lots of vegetarian/vegan options for those who need them. My husband and I are pretty plain eaters; besides his affection for all things Mexican food, we have a pretty basic palette. That being said, quite a few of these "simple" recipes had ingredients we would never purchase (what the heck is a Keiffer lime leaf?) so this book wasn't ideal for us. However, for those who eat more broadly across international cuisines, this b...more
Julie
I found out about the Moosewood Cookbooks in my book-a-day calendar. I am not a vegetarian, but the recipes sounded simply mouthwatering. So...we checked it out of the library (I didn't want to spend hard earned money unless it was good). My husband and I tried 6 recipes and LOVED every single one. Now we have bought our own cookbook. My favorite (so far): Tomato Tortilla Soup paired with bean and cheese quesadillas. Everything is so easy to make and fresh tasting. Tonight we had the Indian Pota...more
Juliet
Had this from the library and really wanted to keep it. Got actual ideas for weeknight meals, and everything I've tried has been good and family-friendly.
Erika
I am not a vegetarian. That is probably why I can't rate this book any higher. It tried to use corn on the cob as a recipe which I think is ridiculous. And - vegetarian reuben?????
Karina
So many good ideas! You really can eat delicious freshly-cooked meals every day. Some recipes are high in fat and/or simple carbs, but you can always adjust the ingredients.
Joan

I'm loving this book. I've already made Nachos Grandes, Broccoli Slaw, Chipotle Scrambled Eggs, and Poached Huevos Rancheros. I have many more recipes on my to try list. I'm looking forward to more delicious simple suppers and even a few breakfasts (which of course can also be served for supper).

Moosewood Restaurant's emphasis is in cooking with wholesome, fresh foods so this book even has recipes that are healthy. It doesn't contain nutritional values but it does give you menu and serving ideas...more
Penelope
This book is ok. I appreciate that the recipes are simple and usually result in a minimal amount of clean-up afterward, however I think that in some cases adding another pot or pan to the clean-up could have resulted in a better recipe.

A few of the recipes I made were awesome; I made them multiple times and they were great every single time. A few recipes were abject failures, either by my own fault or because the recipe was just a flop.

The Good:

Asparagus avgolemono (pg 130)
This soup is so good!...more
Katie
My current favorite cookbook. I wasn't going to mark this as read until we'd done the whole book, but since we're being more seasonal with our produce these days AND there's a whole seafood chapter, that's never going to happen. I've done about 15-20 of the recipes, and all have been excellent. And easy. And filling. And they make a point of using some of the same ingredients a number of times, to go along with their suggestions for a "well-stocked pantry." Possibly this would be boring for an e...more
Juneau Public Library
I read cookbooks when I can't concentrate on a plot. This particular cookbook is lovely to read and has lots of pretty pictures. Written by the folks at the Moosewood Restaurant, it focuses on recipes that are simple and easy to prepare for everyday dinners at home.

Stacey
Nov 24, 2008 Stacey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegetarians, Moosewood fans
At what point can I say that I've read a cookbook? I've looked through all of the recipes and think they look delicious and manageable with the ingredients I usually have in the house. Tonight I made my first recipe out of it and we decided it was a keeper. It was a fancy take on grilled cheese sandwiches. This one was cauliflower cooked up with three cloves of garlic (yes, I can still taste it). Spread a bit of dijon mustard on bread (homemade from this morning), pile on the cauliflower, put ch...more
Katie
I cannot reccomend this book enough!!

I cook a lot and I'm vegetarian. Also, like most of the world, I'm pretty freakin' busy, but I don't think that is an excuse to not eat home-cooked meals. Enter this cookbook. Not only are the recipes pretty great, but they have also given me all sorts of ideas on how to make other things faster. If you aren't vegetarian, don't worry. There is a whole chapter on fish and most of the recipes could have chicken or some other meat added in. I highly recommend th...more
Mala
Jul 23, 2007 Mala rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: inexperienced cooks
I really enjoyed this collection. An experienced, confident cook might find it all a bit boring, but I highly recommend it for those who, like myself, consider themselves incompetent in the culinary arts. All of the recipes I've tried so far have been simple enough, but not at the overwhelming expense of taste. Many required less than two ingredients I didn't already have in my pantry/fridge. Under normal circumstances, I'd give it three and a half stars. Feeling generous, I rounded up.
Deb
I am a big Moosewood fan and finally got around to cooking from Simple Suppers. A great source of relatively easy and quick recipes that are great for weeknights. Most are healthy, many vegan. The homey Italian Bread & Cheese Soup (I used pumpernickel), had great flavor. Here's a link to the recipe and photos on my blog: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Ann
If you like to go meatless regularly, this is an excellent book. Both for simple, flexible recipes and for endless ideas. We've had it for a few years, have made most of the stuff in it, and we still go back to it and make something from it at least once a week. This week we finally made the Spinach Cheese Burritos. Simple, fantastic, and soon to be a staple.
Scottsdale Public Library
The soups in this book are AMAZING!! They have it all: easy to do, low calorie, kid friendly, low cost, and so good even die-hard carnivores don’t care they are vegetarian. I use the coconut rice recipe all the time as well. Definitely worth checking out to see what gems you can add to your repertoire of simple suppers. –Alexis S.-
Kyle
Aug 21, 2007 Kyle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: delicious
I've used this book for every recipe I made this summer. It's that versatile. All the tastiness of a Moosewood cookbook, but the ingredient list doesn't read like a witch's potion. You can actually find the ingredients in a regular supermarket, and they're not too expensive.
Lucinda
Stay away from some of the simpler suppers and all of the stir-frys. For example, what were they thinking including a dish with equal parts tofu and garbanzo beans. For that matter, what possessed me to cook it? Also--bottled hoisin sauce? Sort of tastes like vomit.
Amy
Easy to use dinnertime cookcook. Of those I have tried, most of the dishes easy to cook, and they have all tasted good. This cookbook focuses on the healthful, but it takes a moderate stance on what that means. And all but one chapter "Fish" is vegetarian.
Cathy
My favorite cookbook! It is vegetarian, and the recipes are truly "simple." My husband asks me to cook from this book over and over. He loves it, too. Some favorites: Spinach Cheese Burritos, Navajo Stew, Mango Coconut Sorbet, to name a few.
Elizabeth
I heart this cookbook. It has the tasty, vegetarian foods that you love from Moosewood, but without the bjillion ingredients. I especially love the Indonesian Cabbage and Sweet Potato soup. I know it sounds funky, but it is soooo good!
Jenna
Probably one of my favorite cookbooks ever, but then again it's pretty hard to go wrong with Moosewood. I will say that this book has more ingredients that I tend to keep around and so is easier for me to use!
Vanessa
I've made three recipes from the book so far: potatoes with lemon & capers, broccolini cheddar melt, and spinach cheese burritos. We've loved them all! I'm reading a library copy but would like to own this one.
Amber
Oct 28, 2008 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegetarians who like their cookbooks to do their weeknight thinking for them
Although this book is a little heavy on the dairy, the recipes are across-the-board fantastic! They stay true to the title, also, and keep ingredient lists and cooking time to a minimum. Yum!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Okay, just looking through this has made me hungry. Seems like there are many simple and easy vegetarian recipes here. (Even setting aside the ones that use fake meat, which I don't care for.)
Kellypuffs Smith
I think this is my new favorite cookbook. Finally, a natural/vegetarian cookbook that isn't afraid to allow you to use convenience foods like pre-sliced cole slaw mix. Two thumbs up!
Marissa de Souza
though i still have many more of recipes to test out, i will say that i love the navajo stew and the greek salad & wasn't crazy about the salmon rubbed with spices.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 641.555 MOOSEWOOD

Oona- 5 stars
So user friendly and simple, could be a cookbook that one actually uses regularly, not just for special occasions.
Amy
Simple, easy, delicious. Highly recommended for those who like to cook but don't want to spend a lot of time. My favorite? Black beans and yellow rice.
Martha
Got this book for Christmas. Everything we have cooked from it thus far has been great and pretty easy. I'm in love with their red beans and coconut rice. Yum.
Lisa
quite possibly my favorite new cookbook. I will for sure be purchasing this one. I feel like I could make dinner every single night with this book!
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • The Best Recipes in the World
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source with More Than 200 Recipes for a Healthy and Sustainable You
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
  • More-With-Less Cookbook
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper
The Moosewood Collective is a crew of fourteen women and five men. Some of us moonlight from Moosewood, and among us we have a broad range of interests and avocations. Our group comprises musicians, singers, dancers, actors, performers, mediators, meditators, activists, teachers, trainers, consultants, writers, gardeners, editors, poets, artists, quilters, calligraphers, martial arts instructors a...more
More about Moosewood Collective...
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes