Start by marking “Euphues the Anatomy of Wit: Euphues & His England” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Euphues the Anatomy of...

John Lyly

Euphues the Anatomy of Wit: Euphues & His England

EARLY ENGLISH WIT, POETRY & SATIRE. Imagine holding history in your hands. Now you can. Digitally preserved and previously accessible only through libraries as Early English Books Online, this rare material is now available in single print editions. Thousands of books written between 1475 and 1700 can be delivered to your doorstep in individual volumes of high quality ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Reprint Services Corp (first published 1578)

L.M.S. Rosa
Euphues is a book I detest, treasure and imitate: detest like Marsyas did music after his amercement; treasure like King Croesus did coins and conquest; and imitate like Thomas à Kempis did the teachings of Christ. I shall deign its dreary traducers that it's a thin but tedious tome, with characters who quake as much as corpses in caskets do; preachy and ponderous like a priest in a pulpit, no doubt, but what a debt writers have to its drapery! William H. Gass grew in its garden like a begonia. ...more
Danielle Wilson
Dec 25, 2010 Danielle Wilson rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1001-books
Have you ever read something that made you feel dumb? Really? Me either until now.

This is not to say that I understood none of this particular book. There were random parts that made a bunch of sense and the rest... well... It went way over my head. Maybe it was the style of the writing that was the problem. I could understand it if I concentrated really hard and analyzed each sentence. But who really wants to do that? I just wasn't in the concentrating mood today.

The parts that I did understan
Martin
Mar 03, 2015 Martin rated it did not like it
This book was neither witty, nor euphuestic (allegedly, it is from here that the word "euphemism" is derived), nor an anatomy of anything, save for extreme unreadability in the first part, a rehashed attempt to expound on Ecclesiastes in the second part, and boring missives in the third. It has renown for being the first English novel, but it is not a novel at all. It's a hodgepodge of excruciating words, it's inconsistent in its narrative, and way too long even at 152 pages. It does not belong ...more
Benjy
Apr 14, 2015 Benjy rated it did not like it
Just awful. Unreadable. Not an enjoyable experience in any sense of the word and glad that I have judged ratings thus far such that I have left room to put this one out there on its own. Unwitty, nonsensical, and utter rubbish almost from beginning to end. Would rather stick pins in my eyes. Repeatedly. Well at least I'm 12 down in the 1001 books you must read before you die. Only 989 to go. Let's be honest they can't get any worse.
Steven
Jan 24, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
The rating on this book is more for Euphues: the anatomy of wit and not the second part of the book. I really enjoyed the word play in the Euphues: the anatomy of wit. After reading this work the definition of euphuism is very clear. Euphuism: an affected style in imitation of that of Lyly, fashionable in England about the end of the 16th century, characterized chiefly by long series of antitheses and frequent similes relating to mythological natural history, and alliteration.
Monty Milne
Nov 16, 2016 Monty Milne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wading through treacle would be more fun. No, Mr Lyly, you are not a Fountain of Wit, just a repetitious, sententious, boring old windbag. And you often get your sources jumbled and your facts wrong, so you are not as bright as you think you are.
Renee
Dec 04, 2011 Renee rated it did not like it
The plot serves as an excuse for Lyly to show off his own wit to point of arrogance. Any other story about wanting another man's woman and stealing her for yourself would serve you better than slogging your way through this heavy prose full of redundancy.
Kaitlyn Utkewicz
Jul 01, 2015 Kaitlyn Utkewicz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another one that is basically unreadable! I wish I wasn't abandoning books so often, but I couldn't make heads or tails of this one. 1001 list, shape up!
LawStudent Reader
Dec 22, 2015 LawStudent Reader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carleigh Fouquette
Carleigh Fouquette rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2015
Dem
Dem rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2014
Moses
Moses rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Meredith Strange
Meredith Strange rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2014
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
R.T.
R.T. rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Sonny Luca
Sonny Luca rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
سامية رزق
سامية رزق rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Bill  Kerwin
Bill Kerwin rated it it was ok
May 22, 2007
Alberto Iniesto
Alberto Iniesto rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Linda Orvis
Linda Orvis rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Francar
Francar rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2014
Ezequiel Garcia
Ezequiel Garcia rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2011
Monil
Monil rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Olivia Miner
Olivia Miner rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
Wasim Ahmed
Wasim Ahmed rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2014
om varshney
om varshney rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Amanda Himes
Amanda Himes rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2015
  • Julie, or the New Heloise
  • Adjunct: An Undigest
  • The Female Quixote: or, the Adventures of Arabella
  • The Monastery
(c. 1553 or 1554 – November 1606) An English writer, best known for his books Euphues,The Anatomy of Wit and Euphues and His England. Lyly's linguistic style, originating in his first books, is known as Euphuism.
More about John Lyly...