Start by marking “The Saga of Rex” as Want to Read:
The Saga of Rex

The Saga of Rex

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Rex never anticipated what would happen when he met Aven, an enigmatic biomorph with a flying saucer.

An otherworldly adventure that is in turn romantic, tragic, poetic and wonderfully surprising the saga of Rex perfectly captures a vision of whimsy and wonder that will delight young and old.
Published November 2nd 2010 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2010)

Lindsey Rey
This was a super fun read! I would recommend it if you like cute things and beautiful artwork. Also if you want something with similar artwork to the Amulet series. This is super short and doesn't have very much text, so I think most people would enjoy reading it at the library over purchasing it.
Samantha
Really, really enjoyed it!
This graphic novel is mostly a story told through pictures with very little words. But the artwork is absolutely stunning! Very whimsical and enjoyable to look through.
Kaitlin
I read this graphic novel without knowing anything about it and I purchased it just based off of the beautiful illustration style I could see on the front cover. The story follows a young fox cub called Rex who gets all tangled up in a great Space adventure where he has to fight aliens, run from aliens, fall in love with aliens and avoid death at all possible points too. There is a short introduction which contains words to give a little bit of background and context to the whole story, and then ...more
John
A nearly wordless tale about a foxlike animal who is swept up in a series of dreamlike adventures orchestrated by, seemingly, a coterie of bored gods for their amusement--but ending with a love match between Rex and a magical winged "biomorph" named Aven. Read most of this as shorter episodes in the FLIGHT books, and liked them better there--not sure why....maybe because the strangeness was parceled out rather than lumped all together? In shorter bits, would have some child appeal, methinks--the ...more
Becky B
A little fox-like creature goes on a series of adventures through a fantastic world, meeting new friends and evading several enemies.

This is just a compilation of all the Rex stories that have appeared in the Flight graphic novels. I thought there might be some extra material in this stand-alone book, but nope. I'd seen it all before in various Flight volumes. Rex's adventures are odd in that, he's a really cute little fox but he has some majorly disturbing gory encounters with other creatures.
S.N. Arly
This is a wonderful adventure, told more in pictures than in words, much in the same vein as Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings. The illustrations are beautiful. The protagonist is adorable and heroic. While the starting point and ending point are the same, your interpretation can change with each reading, making it a more flexible story than many graphic novels have.

I'm unsure who enjoyed it more, me or my kids (ages 5 and 8).
Brenda Lower
From my blog at: http://brensbookstoread.blogspot.com/

On a world somewhere in the galaxy, the Shepherd Guardian initiates the ceremony: the gathering and trial of specimens from across the universe. Of all the creatures brought from around the universes, only one will be chosen.

Little Rex the fox hardly expects his day to be different from any other day. After chasing a little animal, he is swept up into an adventure that he can't begin to imagine. He is carried away by some mystical force, meet
Karissa
I picked up a copy of this book at random off a bookshelf on free comic book day and fell in love with it. It is suitable for all ages, tells a creative, heartfelt, and fun story and is full of absolutely stunning pictures.

The story starts out with a bit of history about a Guardian-Shepard who helps some shapeshifting flowers blossom so that they can search the galaxy for specimens to start new worlds with. One of these blossoms stumbles upon a little fox named Rex. Rex is deemed a worthy specim
Andy Shuping
Rex is a young fox, seemingly alone out upon one of the many planets in the universe. And then one day...he's taken by a strange flying saucer to another world. Where he's recognized by one of the planets inhabitants as being someone special and worthy of saving. And Rex rises to the challenge and saves the planet from an impending comet of doom. But the challenges are not yet done and along the way perhaps he'll meet that someone unique in the universe.

The "Saga of Rex" chapters were originally
Rachel
Mostly wordless, the Saga of Rex brings you on the journey of a cute fox as he gets dragged to other worlds, meets alien species, and even finds love. The beautifully chosen colour themes add a magical quality to a magical tale. Along the way several transformations occur, worlds change, creatures change, Rex becomes more courageous and stronger. This connects to the overarching theme itself, that life is ever changing. For most of the story Rex is dragged around by events, but in the final thir ...more
Kate
(Rated more as 3.4-3.5 stars) Originally I read it in Flight as short issue stories. When collected together, it's still a good story, but there are some personal issues. The narration in the beginning seemed odd when all the rest is silent images. Albeit the images work well placed out as they are (reminds me of an animation storyboard). But I agree with a few reviewers that the story material may be difficult for some younger readers to understand. It could be simplified to a heroic fox stuck ...more
Flaminghamstersofdoom
The Saga of Rex is an amazing book with heroics, sacrifice, and tremendous personal loss… but amazing
gain as well. This book is a graphic novel without words, yet it seems to speak a language of lost worlds and great knowledge lost in the enigmatic mists of time. It will please anyone of any age, any belief, any locality. The Saga of Rex is truly a king among books.
Jenny
I have been reading this story in different Flights books I happened to get my hands on over the years. I have always wondered if they were all related somehow. I always wondered how the story would turn out in the end. I will buy this book, I repeat I will buy this book, not just for the amazing, and I do mean amazing artwork and color, but also because unlike a some other graphic novel stories The Saga of Rex gives the reader the opportunity to tell the story. There are really no words in most ...more
Nyssa
Life, origins, dreamscapes, genetics, simulations and prophecy as playthings of alien gods.

The illustrations are absolutely beautiful! You will want to experience them again, and again. The story is enigmatic, oddly sweet, yet can be appreciated by all ages.

A pleasant surprise, suggested by my 12 year old daughter.
Pen
A sweet, magical tale, told almost entirely in images. Despite its lack of words it's very easy to follow as Gangé manages to deliver the story in beautifully descriptive yet simplistic imagery.

I would be hard pressed to ever walk passed something as cute as Rex and not pick it up to read.
Rachel
Rex is a fox and one day he is kidnapped from Earth to a strange new planet. He goes on a adventure in another strange planet so that he can be judged before the rulers of the planet, that brought him there. And if he is found worthy he will populate another planet with his offspring but if he is not found worthy he will be returned back to Earth. This is the story of Rex.
I picked this book up because the pictures of Rex were so cute and the story was also interesting.
I finished reading this boo
Daneil Newcomb
Very cute concept and artwork. There are only a few pages of words at the beginning, so it's a "fast read" if you don't want to spend too much time looking at each page. Rex is adorable.
Rosemary Reads
The illustrations are simple but beautiful, there is an introduction to the story but after that the book is told solely through pictures. I think younger readers would enjoy it.
Harper
I liked it because Rex was cute and - SPOILER- he died saving someone and the person who was saved brought him back to life and I thought that was SWEET!
Mackenzie
First off Rex is so cute! I read this book a while ago and cannot forget about it! It was hard to follow at the beginning but overall an amazing book!
Theresa
This was an adorably drawn book with an equally as adorable storyline. I'd highly recommend it to young and old
Marlies
beautiful artwork and a lovely very surprising story. I am in love with the cuteness that is rex.
Kelly K
3.5 stars.

This fox is just freakin' adorable but damn does he fall a lot.
Erica
"Pondering the enigma of his existence"
Mostly wordless
Kohana
Absolutely fun and wonderful! I adored it!
Michael
I think this book are very good.
Tyler Jing
This book is a very adventurous and romantic book, and the illustrations are very beautiful and adorable. Rex has been transported to another far away planet called Edernia to meet up with Aven, an enigmatic biomorph made to resemble Rex's female kind. The Guardian-Sheppard has activated the Blossoms (enigmatic biomorphs) which can morph into anything at will. Their mission is to find the best specimens from all over, and the Blossoms will echo the shape of their mates. This book is a combinatio ...more
Andrew
Bought this to read with Griffin. Enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. Too much text at the beginning that wasn't necessary. I mean, when your story revolves around the adventures of an interstellar fox, there's really no point in trying to rationalize the whole thing. Once the mostly text-free stories began, it was visually interesting and full of surprises. Middle of the book was the best part... lots of fun, and Griffin was fully engaged. The final chapter was a bit of a snooze fest again.
Rach
There are very few words in this comic, and the ones that are there aren't very helpful. I picked this one up at the library because the artwork looked cute, but cute artwork can't carry a whole book. Not only was I confused about what these creatures were, where they were, and what they were doing, i just didn't care. These characters didn't mean anything to me because I didn't know anything about them, and the art didn't help me get to know them. Overall, I was pretty disappointed.
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Neil Flambé and the Aztec Abduction (The Neil Flambé Capers #2)
  • Korgi Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Bk. 2)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Heavenly Nostrils #1)
  • Broxo
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Spiral-Bound: Top Secret Summer
Insanely Twisted Rabbits Zed: A Cosmic Tale A Search for Meaning: The Story of Rex (Color Edition) Parables: An Anthology The Towers of Numar