Eden: A Novel

Eden: A Novel

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the head writer of the original In Treatment, an exquisite novel of the maturation of a girl, a family, and an entire community

Eden is no paradise: it is the stifling, rural community in which upscale urban escapees, Alona and Mark, drift apart and divorce under the resentful scrutiny of Roni, Mark's needy adolescent daughter. Against a rich panorama of Eden's oldtime...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Metropolitan Books

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

Krysia
Maybe as a soap opera or a tv show, this just doesn't work for me as a novel.
Molly
Positive:
Yael Hedaya's writing style is really enjoyable. She effortlessly works in some beautiful descriptions and imagery. I found the characters believable and likable, though at times frustrating in their thoughts and actions. I enjoyed how Hedaya bounces from character to character, the story takes on more dimension and perspective and each person has a unique look on the plot. I also really absorbed the world that she was depicting and felt like I could relate, despite having never been t...more
Rachelle
Nov 29, 2010 Rachelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachelle by: Librarything
Awesome! More of a character study than an actual story line, but I identified greatly with one character in particular. Many passages about this character spoke to me as well:
"Now she knew that great pain could kill you or redeem you, it just depended on you." (390)
"...she felt as if she were chasing her own long-gone shadow. There was an insult of sorts in that girl's persence, as if her every word and movement said: I am everyone you no longer are." (419)
"...she knew this was probably what to...more
Nick
This book has what I have always loved about secular Israeli fiction--brilliantly portrayed characters, dealing with the here-and-now while struggling with the overwhelming burden of the past. Because this is the first Israeli novel I have ready in many years, it describes a country that is barely recognizable from the one I knew when I was there in the 80s. Really fascinating. Also, the political scenes are unbelievably funny.
Nathan
Puzzling...what was the point of this?
Just the inner thoughts of couples, parents and children...fine....but so many stories touched on, then abandoned....Questions left unanswered. But basically a bunch of very unlikable people and I had a lot less questions than the author probably wished.
K C
Interesting novel about three couples and their offspring on a moshav outside of Tel Aviv in the 2000's. Primarily about parenthood, couplehood, and how to keep it all together, or not.
Liz
Interesting characters but about 2/3 of the way through I lost interest. Chapters arranged by character and some of them seemed too insignificant. Lost track of what was going on.
Elyn
Jan 15, 2014 Elyn marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I tried twice with this book....I just could not manage to get involved in it.
Ruth Sloviter
Brilliant analysis of psyches. Very well written..
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Fatimah Mateen
Fatimah Mateen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Fae H-B
Fae H-B marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Molly Antopol
Molly Antopol is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2013
Irving
Irving added it
Aug 14, 2013
Danny Girl
Danny Girl marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Accidents: A Novel Housebroken: Three Novellas רביעי בערב Liebe Pur Zusammenstöße. Eine Liebesgeschichte