Start by marking “Eden: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Eden: A Novel

Eden: A Novel

From the head writer of the original In Treatment, an exquisite novel of the maturation of a girl, a family, and an entire community

Eden is no paradise: it is the stifling, rural community in which upscale urban escapees, Alona and Mark, drift apart and divorce under the resentful scrutiny of Roni, Mark's needy adolescent daughter. Against a rich panorama of Eden's oldtime
Published October 26th 2010 by Metropolitan Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

Nov 14, 2010 Krysia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, abandon-ship
Maybe as a soap opera or a tv show, this just doesn't work for me as a novel.
May 01, 2011 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yael Hedaya's writing style is really enjoyable. She effortlessly works in some beautiful descriptions and imagery. I found the characters believable and likable, though at times frustrating in their thoughts and actions. I enjoyed how Hedaya bounces from character to character, the story takes on more dimension and perspective and each person has a unique look on the plot. I also really absorbed the world that she was depicting and felt like I could relate, despite having never been t
Nov 29, 2010 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachelle by: Librarything
Awesome! More of a character study than an actual story line, but I identified greatly with one character in particular. Many passages about this character spoke to me as well:
"Now she knew that great pain could kill you or redeem you, it just depended on you." (390)
"...she felt as if she were chasing her own long-gone shadow. There was an insult of sorts in that girl's persence, as if her every word and movement said: I am everyone you no longer are." (419)
"...she knew this was probably what to
Jul 03, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has what I have always loved about secular Israeli fiction--brilliantly portrayed characters, dealing with the here-and-now while struggling with the overwhelming burden of the past. Because this is the first Israeli novel I have ready in many years, it describes a country that is barely recognizable from the one I knew when I was there in the 80s. Really fascinating. Also, the political scenes are unbelievably funny.
Hedaya's narrative echoes the true manner in which someone might relate a story... The past and present fade in and out, as the thoughts about the presentation remind each character of past experiences. The constant fluctuations between memories and current plot somehow manage never to confuse the reader, but instead lend an ultra-realistic tone to the novel as they so closely resemble the way we all think and progress through our own lives.
Nov 21, 2012 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Puzzling...what was the point of this?
Just the inner thoughts of couples, parents and children...fine....but so many stories touched on, then abandoned....Questions left unanswered. But basically a bunch of very unlikable people and I had a lot less questions than the author probably wished.
Oct 14, 2012 K C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting novel about three couples and their offspring on a moshav outside of Tel Aviv in the 2000's. Primarily about parenthood, couplehood, and how to keep it all together, or not.
Nov 21, 2011 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting characters but about 2/3 of the way through I lost interest. Chapters arranged by character and some of them seemed too insignificant. Lost track of what was going on.
Emery Cohen
Emery Cohen rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Esther rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Lauren Stern Kedem
Lauren Stern Kedem rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Allison rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Moira rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2011
Dec 22, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it; perfect
Jessie Garcia
Jessie Garcia rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Jan 15, 2014 Elyn marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I tried twice with this book....I just could not manage to get involved in it.
Jolianna rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Tamara rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Eagle Me
Eagle Me rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2009
Agata Kaplon
Agata Kaplon rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2009
Monika rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2011
Picador USA
Picador USA rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Tina rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Emily rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Stephie rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Judith rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Joan rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Silker rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Yael Hedaya was born in Jerusalem in 1964, and now lives in Messilat Zion. She holds a BA in philosophy and liberal arts from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and received an MA in English literature and creative writing from New York University. Hedaya has worked as a journalist and columnist for the mass circulation daily Yedioth Ahronoth and the Tel Aviv weekly, Ha'Ir. She was also one of the ...more
More about Yael Hedaya...