Start by marking “The Warlock's Shadow (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warlock's Shadow (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #2)

The Warlock's Shadow (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice #2)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Orphan Berren is trapped in a temple, forced to learn how to read, write and recall histories of the Saints. All he wants is a sword. Prince Sharda hires his master as a bodyguard. Dragon Monks, exotic elite swordsmen, visit, one a girl his age. But a sword is not enough. You must know who to fight.
Published June 14th 2012 by Gollancz (first published October 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Warlock's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warlock's Shadow

Josh
Dec 18, 2013 Josh rated it it was amazing
Review from Fixed on Fantasy.

There is something so simple and comforting about this series, of which The Warlock's Shadow is book two of three. After reading the likes of N. K. Jemisin who really like to shake up their fantasy world building, it's nice to return to a bread and butter Medieval Europe setting.

The Warlock's Shadow feels oddly familiar at times, as though I could once again be reading about Pug or Kvothe. At a comparatively short 304 pages however, Deas wastes little time with the n
Shane Kiely
Aug 25, 2014 Shane Kiely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice continuation of the series, it's 2 years since the Thief Takers Apprentice & the seemingly major open plot thread from that book has been resolved in the meantime. That might seem like a bit of a copout but it actually paves the way for a more interesting storyline that incorporates elements from the wider geopolitical scene of the world that features a visiting prince, dragon priests that happen to be master swordsman and Master Sy's past coming back to haunt him. I really like the way ...more
Liviu
As I will post the full FBC review in a day or two, I will put just a short comment for now c/p from sffworld: I finished Warlock's shadow the second sort-of-YA novel of Stephen Deas after The Thief taker's apprentice; I really, really loved it almost till the end, but I disliked the cliffhanger ending (which is actually foreseen and is appropriate in a way, but still I want the third novel now as the ending is annoying on its own...)

Excellent writing, descriptions and Berren is still an interes
Manrix
Jan 27, 2012 Manrix rated it really liked it
For a while there, I had this book on my shelf, but I was kind of worried this YA novel would be too much Y and not enough A. Silly me. I should've remembered who the author is.

Having read several dozen novels since part one of this series (The Thief-taker's Apprentice) came out, I was, for the first time, happy to find these little recaps of book one. They were short, unobstrusive, and helped me really get back into the story, even if this one is less of a stand-alone than the last one. That al
Scott
Dec 05, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
This was a really nice book. I enjoyed this one more than the first. Berren is really starting to grow into himself and learns some valuable life lessons at the end of the story. He is growing in a lot of ways but learns the most important lesson of all, his master has been teaching him about life and swords all along. And when realizes it, it may be too late.

What a great ending and interesting story line. Things are not as they seem in Deephaven and the intrigue and mystery in the book is very
Robin Carter
Aug 11, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Review

Ok so this isn't the memory of flames series. But i don't think it ever pretends to be. This is Young Adult Fiction, a genre that is riddled with cliched rubbish. Deas doesn't do that he doesn't talk down to these young readers and as such provides a series that is a spawning ground for imagination and draws new readers into one of the finest genres around. He provides great characters great locations a great world for you the readers to go to and forget reality. This is full on fantasy, j
Tal
Berren is not enjoying himself. Trapped in a temple, forced to learn how to read & write, all he wants is to be given a sword. As a thief-taker's apprentice he imagined a world of daring night-time chases, glorious victories and a life of excitement. His dreams aren't quite coming true.
So when a prince hires the thief-taker as a bodyguard, Berren is thrilled. When he hears that a troupe of dragon-monks- exotic warriors and the best swords in the world- are visiting, he sees an opportunity t
PWRL
May 12, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Raymond Just
Nov 04, 2011 Raymond Just rated it really liked it
An engaging, quick read. Although Mr. Deas might be better known for his sweeping "Memory of Flames" saga, the Thief-Taker's Apprentice books are actually better. Young Berren is as compelling a character as any in the genre right now, and Deas deftly weaves is his tale with such feeling and poignancy that one cannot help but care about the little thief. This book and its predecessor are highly recommended.
Emma Woodcock
Jan 08, 2016 Emma Woodcock rated it liked it
Enjoyable enough (without being that remarkable) until the final 50 pages or so. After the showdown with the warlock guy it all just went a bit batshit, and I'm afraid I lost interest. Redeemed by the very end, which had a nice twist, and might just be enough to persuade me to read the next in the series (though I suspect there's going to be more of the crazy nonsense...)
Thomas Waring
Jan 18, 2016 Thomas Waring rated it it was amazing
Best in the series so far - lots of great twists and sets things up nicely for Book 3!!!
Maricel
Nov 25, 2014 Maricel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-deas
Hu-humm...
Chibi Fearon
Dated 32/50.
Abraxas
Abraxas marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Jennifer Griffiths
Jennifer Griffiths rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2016
Abigel
Abigel added it
Jan 30, 2016
Derek Edgington
Derek Edgington rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Colin Douglas
Colin Douglas rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Keelan
Keelan rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Edward van der Maarel
Edward van der Maarel marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Laura Fettes
Laura Fettes rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Morty
Morty rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
linda wilkinson
linda wilkinson rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Dec 29, 2015
Matthew Eric Barr
Matthew Eric Barr marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The King's Man (King Rolen's Kin #3.5)
  • Heirs of the Blade (Shadows of the Apt, #7)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Guardians of the Desert (Children of the Desert, #2)
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • Earth & Sky
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Princes (Allies & Assassins, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Pandemonium
  • Sea of Ghosts (The Gravedigger Chronicles, #1)
2089928
Stephen Deas is an engineer in the aerospace industry, working on communications and imaging technology in the defence sector. He is married with two children and lives near Writtle in Essex.

Also writes as Nathan Hawke and S.J. Deas.
More about Stephen Deas...

The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (4 books)
  • The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #1)
  • The King's Assassin  (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Thief-Taker's Blade