Start by marking “Catholic Study Bible-Nab” as Want to Read:
Catholic Study Bible-Nab

Catholic Study Bible-Nab

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The landmark Oxford Catholic Study Bible is available now an upgraded and revised Second Edition. Completely re-written study notes, expanded essays and sidebars make this bible the perfect choice for study and worship.
The heart of this volume remains its extensive Reading Guide that leads the reader through the Scriptures, book by book. References and background informat
Published March 9th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 4th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Catholic Study Bible-Nab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholic Study Bible-Nab

Steve Sckenda
Dec 10, 2012 Steve Sckenda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Catholics Seeking to Understand Contemporary Bible Scholarship
This is the third in a series of reviews that I am writing about English Bible translations and about study Bibles. I believe that a working knowledge of the Bible is important, even for nonbelievers, to understand, interpret, and appreciate many of the classics of the Western Tradition. I give The Catholic Study Bible a mixed rating because the study material is of the highest caliber, but the translation does not impress me.

The Translation. The New American Bible translation (NAB) blunts my
Joanne Goon
Sep 01, 2007 Joanne Goon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!
Short and to the point: This is the best book in the world. It has permanent status as the Number 1 bestseller of every year. More copies are printed of this book than any other book and it's available in over 2,000 different languages and dialects. You can even find one in the drawer of every hotel room! This book features over 40 different authors of every type of background: the richest of kings, the poorest of the poor, songwriters, teachers, poets, prophets, and fishermen. But not to worry, ...more
Dina (ReviewTime)
My husband gave me this Bible in Aug of 2007. This is a very nice Bible but I would like to point out that a Companion Edition isn't the same as a study Bible. The notes of a study Bibles are way more in depth than that of a Companion Edition. Personally I didn't find the notes to be very helpful in this edition. That said this is a very fine quality Catholic Bible.

About the binding & cover
The cover is a new type of flux leather, its very soft like the high quality genuine leather Bibles.
Thi
Kristy
My husband & I really enjoyed this couples devotional bible. We borrowed it from the lending library at church. It includes a collection of 20+ articles that offer real life advice and understanding for Catholic couples. At the end of each article, there were discussions questions for us to reflect on and share our thoughts with each other. It added a lot of valuable insight to the Sacrament of Matrimony.
Adriana
Moved from the bookshelf to the reading table. I forget how this arrived on my bookshelf, but I like the language, very prose-like for me (a good thing). Introductions to all the books, good footnotes and commentary. My understanding of what makes it 'Catholic' is which books it includes - some that would not be in a NIV, for instance. The good book for quiet hours.
Doc Ronny Allard
Jan 25, 2008 Doc Ronny Allard rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to study
Recommended to Doc Ronny by: Nobody, I just read it out of curiosity.
I would be hesitant to say that this is the Word of God. I would also find it hard to defend in an argument/discussion/debate!
Galicius
Genesis

Exodus

I am surprised by the amount of violence in the Bible.

Job

The purpose of the writing is instructional. Job is a prosperous and pious man of some fortune. He loses his family and property suddenly. We are told however that before this happened one day Satan challenges God by telling that Job’s blameless and upright life would not hold up to misfortune. God let’s Satan take away all that he has as long as he does not lay hands on him. Job however does not complain against God. He says
Molly Hansen
I bought this particular edition when I wanted a Catholic Bible that would hold up to road travel. This version has not disappointed. The cover is made with black high-quality imitation leather and it has a zipper close. At 5 1/2" x 8 1/8" in size, it packs neatly (even in my day pack). My cover has been exposed to rain, spilled coffee, and bench grit (all of which wiped off easily), and the imitation leather "broke in" nicely. After 5 years of heavy use, the cover still looks great, the gold em ...more
Julia
Well, not much to say about the Bible itself beyond the fact it's amazing, historically, theologically, and spiritually. About this NAB version: I always appreciate some good explanatory notes, and this has plenty of them. In addition, there are fascinating introductory sections to each book that include lots of data on their content and significance as well as their currently accepted authorship based on historical findings.

The "Student" content of this edition is included in the front of the b
Alleluialu
I started reading the Bible on September 29, 2009, and finished it today, December 31, 2010. Along the way I have developed a habit of reading the Bible every morning and I will do it for the rest of my life. This time, I merely read it -- no commentary or explanation. I knew I would not remember it all nor understand it all. So, my plan this next year or so, is to read it again with commentary. And I plan to continue reading it until the day I die because I couldn't possibly ever understand it ...more
Kelly
I don't like the idea of giving the Bible a star rating, because as a believing Christian it's very hard for me to separate the literary merit (with which star ratings are concerned) from the message. So I won't. I can say, however, that I found reading it to be a powerful and enlightening experience. I found something worthwhile even in the books traditionally considered "boring," though it took some conscious effort to find it in some cases. I recommend that all Christians definitely read the ...more
Alexis
CBS Year I - Complete (Genesis, Exodus, Levitcus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings)
CBS Year II - Complete (Gospel of Mark, Gospel of Luke, Acts of The Apostles, Pauline Letters, Gospel of John, Revelation.)
CBS Year III - begins in September 2011 (Book of Wisdom, Tobit, Judith, Esther, Sirach, Jeremiah, Daniel, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Gospel of Matthew, Catholic and Pastoral Letters, Hebrews)
CBS Year IV - Begins Fall 2012 (Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Jer
Ally
Very, very close to the readings at Mass.
Alexis
This is the NABRE that came out in 2010. I had used the 1990 edition of the NAB for my 4 year Biblical Study program & for Graduate School. I am now utilizing this edition for my continued personal studying and as my Bible of choice while teaching an undergraduate biblical study course. I like it very much, but sometimes wish I had my old one that had my own notes while I studied the texts the first time, but I suspect not being jaded by those original notes is a good thing.
Rhina M. Finley
Nov 03, 2012 Rhina M. Finley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Rhina M. by: GOD
The Bible is man's compass, for without it, man would be lost. It truly is the truth and light, and the path to salvation. From Adam and Eve to John's Revelation, God has spoken, and still speaks in our hearts. I've been to many churches, can't nobody teach, preach and love like Jesus did but many have carried his word across the world. My advice is read the bible for yourself and let Jesus speak to you, let God show you how much he really love you. We love because he loved us first.
Mark
Being the translation used in the liturgy in America, this is a great choice for following along with the readings or preparing to lector. However, for serious study I am still partial to the RSV translation such as The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version
Nancy
I love this version of the Bible. It includes extensive footnotes for help in understanding the text, essays on biblical history, maps and other useful resources for studying the Bible. Though not all editions have this, mine has useful index tabs to make finding specific books easier--an especially useful tool for people like me who can never remember their sequential order.
Adam
Translated under the auspices of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in collaboration with protestant and secular biblical scholars with critical use of all the ancient sources. Used in the Liturgy. Provides the best ballance between literal translation and readability.
Sherry
This is the version of the Bible that I use for my personal reading, and for my study. It has loads of useful reference material, including essays and maps and the like. Very handy, I highly recommend it for anyone who is keen to go deeper into Scripture without having to be an academic.
Kris
I put reading since I definately have not read it through lol. This is one I use a lot for questions I get... Its a great translation (NAB), pretty good edition (could be better) & I add to it by putting apologetics tabs inside!
Peter Galamaga
Finished a one year commitment to finally read the entire Bible. Glad I did it, but not sure I would recommend doing it the way I did. I think reading it with guidance in a thematic way would make more sense.
Jim Hering
May 18, 2007 Jim Hering rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of the Bible
Shelves: references
This is perhaps the best study Bible I have on my shelves. Comprehensive notes and articles. It uses the New American Bible translation, which I don't have in another form.
Hui Zhen
This is the best partner for Bible Study. I just wish that there is a light weight but with a modern layout, fonts similar to those presented in Protestant bibles.
Kris
This is the Bible that got me through college... The inserts really are aimed for a little younger though. Just sits on my shelf now.
Rosemary
Aug 27, 2009 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
It is the best book ever written. Although I read some of it everyday, I am still learning from it.
Jill
I found the bible that I have. Except mine is more chewed up than this one. There we go Father Shawn
Cindy
Read multiple times, currently reading but taking my sweet time at it. More to find at every reading.
booklady
Sometimes the rainbow breakout is helpful--other times unnecessary, but the translation is off.
Myrn
Good study bible. Great charts, maps, reading guide, and introduction to each book.
  • The Fathers
  • The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • On Loving God
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita