Start by marking “Secrets of a Proper Countess” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Proper Countess

Secrets of a Proper Countess (Secrets #1)

Lecia Cornwall, a brilliant new voice in historical romance fiction, makes a truly spectacular debut with Secrets of a Proper Countess. This Regency Era delight, written in the smart, sensually captivating style of Lorraine Heath and Elizabeth Hoyt, tells the story of a shy, retiring lady who lets her passions run wild while masked and in the arms of an infamous rakish Mar ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Proper Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Proper Countess

Rane

At a masked ball, Lady Isobel Maitland lets herself free for the first time with a well known rake Phineas Archer, Marquess of Blackwood, with the mask Isobel can be free to do what she wants for one night. Of course, she doesn't count of Phineas not forgetting her taste, but Phineas has his own mask to hide behind, that of a spy whom works for the British government, as a rake no one will give him a second look, but when Isobel enters his life he's willing to risk it all...

Sound a tad famili
Andreia
May 24, 2015 Andreia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-books, 2015
Há muito que não lia um livro cujas personagens são para lá de irritantes. Isobel, Phineas, Honoria, Charles e Marianne nem um escapa! Leva a 2ª estrela devido ao mistério adjacente, francamente superior às personagens.

Booklover1335
Apr 02, 2011 Booklover1335 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, 2011-april
If Lady Isobel Maitland is caught even speaking to an incorrigible rogue like the Marquess of Blackwood, she stands to lose everything she holds dear. Strict rules in her husband's will ensure that if she remarries or even forms friendships her mother-in-law does not approve of, then she will never see her young son again. But one night, in a dark garden at a masquerade ball, Isobel gives in to temptation, and lets an innocent flirtation turn into seduction.

Phineas Archer, the notorious Marquess
Shelves: romance-regency
Laura Navarre
May 13, 2012 Laura Navarre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Regency romance, Mary Balogh and Amanda Quick
In Lecia Cornwall’s charming debut, the elegant ballroom setting of Regency England may be familiar, but Cornwall’s unusually poignant heroine is anything but. Widowed countess Isobel Maitland is a virtual prisoner in her London townhouse, trapped by the terms of her husband’s will that transferred to her odious mother-in-law both Isobel’s fortune and the guardianship of her beloved son. Consequently, the Dowager Countess Honoria queens it over the Maitland household. If Isobel dares to emerge f ...more
Paula
May 03, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
Aquem das expectativas.
Victoria Vane
Oct 22, 2012 Victoria Vane rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS
Fangirl Musings
When considering my reaction to this book, in general, overall, I'd have to say enjoyment was found. At the end of the story, I admit freely I was fascinated by the characters. I found the plot to be readable. The dialogue was believable. The external drama was interesting, and well written. But, there were some issues.

From the beginning of the novel, to the end, I found the leading characters in the story to be very much grounded in reality. One of my biggest criticisms of a book forms itself w
Patrícia

Num género como o romance histórico, prolífero em autoras e histórias, chega-se a um ponto em que se torna difícil surpreender um leitor mais assíduo neste tipo de leitura. Penso que tenha sido por isso que Lecia Cornwall não me convenceu totalmente, com muita pena minha. A história está bem pensada e tinha vários factores para ser um romance bastante cativante mas, infelizmente, não foi tão bem trabalhado quanto deveria. O que me deixa um pouco triste, co
Karen
Apr 27, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
kris
Dec 05, 2013 kris rated it liked it
This was better than expected, considering the mess that was How to Deceive a Duke. The story felt much better woven than the other, and while the plot did descend into melodramatic farce, there were elements of this that I actually enjoyed.

HOWEVER:
1. I am 110% done with the "parent abandons child and through no fault of their own, fails to communicate their ever-lasting love and devotion, and POOF, all feelings of abandonment and despair disappear!" trope.

2. Which, that trope really didn't eve
Steamywindows♥♫
I gave this a 4/5 because I very much liked the premise of the story, writing and the main characters. A few things kind of took away from the book, but can be over looked if you keep in mind this is the author's debut novel. The plot was a bit uneven, and the use of chapter division was a bit distracting.

I liked the unique characters and the fact that Phineas was certain he would know his secret paramour instantly but absolutely gaffed at cluing into her identity. I thought this was rather wel
Vanessa Montês
Apr 12, 2015 Vanessa Montês rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestaram-me
(...)

Blackwood é o típico libertino que quer algo mais da vida mas que nunca encontrara esse algo em ninguém. Encontra na mulher misteriosa, que nunca consegue descobrir quem é, esse algo e fica totalmente apaixonado por Isobel! E quando descobre a verdade sobre a mulher misteriosa, o medo de estar a ser enganado para revelar os segredos que esconde revela-se...

Foi um livro que gostei, leve, de rápida leitura e interessante. Gostei muito e é sem dúvida uma autora a acompanhar.

Opinião completa em
Karla
Apr 24, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it
This debut book is hard to rate. The writing and characters in this story were very good. I liked the voice and style of the author. Also the romance was well done. Because I consider those elements to be essential I'm giving this four stars. However I found the traitors plot a bit weak. There was a lot of action in the last half of the book which was enjoyable. I just had trouble believing the motivation of the villains. Still, a very good debut and I'm looking forward to her next book.
Isabel  Almeida (Os Livros Nossos)
Uma estreia muito bem conseguida pela autora neste romance. Mistério, intriga, paixão, sensualidade, espionagem, traição e muitos twists e acção revelaram ser a receita perfeita para o sucesso. Personagens fortes, e os detalhes históricos , assim como os vários condicionalismos sociais e políticos do período da Regência, na Inglaterra do Século XIX conferem a este livro uma qualidade nem sempre presente num romance de estreia. Adorei! Crítica completa em breve no blog Os Livros Nossos.
Carla Geraldes
Apr 29, 2015 Carla Geraldes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: empréstimos
Muito bom. A conta certa de intriga, sedução, mistério e segredos.
Um romance de época que me prendeu do início ao fim.
Titinha Scaeiro
4,5* adorei o livro... Quem olha para a capa pensa que é muito erótico mas não... Adorei, uma agradável surpresa... :)
TJ
Feb 02, 2011 TJ rated it liked it
For a complete review, visit Affaire de Coeur magazine, hard copy or online at: http://affairedecoeur.com/ - March 2011 issue.
Jenny
Aug 01, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, free, kindle
It took me several days to finish this book. It just didn't hold my attention.
Elaine
Mar 09, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I think it is very well written especially for debut novel. 4.5
Paula
May 02, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei.
Megan
May 22, 2017 Megan rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed this. I'd have given it 5 stars if it weren't for how dense everyone was to catch on that Honoria was the "mastermind" and Isobel was innocent. These men are supposed to be masters of subterfuge, and yet they cannot see what is perfectly obvious in this situation? It strains credibility.
Mary Gramlich
SECRETS of a PROPER COUNTESS written by Lecia Cornwall
03/11- HarperCollins Publishers, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

We all hide behind masks and fear what will happen when I remove it?

Isobel Maitland, the Countess of Ashdown hid behind drab clothing, the lifestyle of a respectable widow and a demure composure to protect everything she cared about. Her husband left her life in control of his family and their goal was to take it and her son away. Isobel did as she was commanded but on this one
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 Book Binge marked it as to-read
Shelves: for-review
When Lady Isobel’s husband died his will stated that she had to keep her reputation spotless at all times or her son, the current Earl would be taken from her permanently by his brother and mother. It also gave all control of her money and properties to her in-laws. Isobel is miserable and wants nothing more to be as far from her in-laws as possible but for the sake of her son she stays and deals with the humiliation that is piled on her regularly.

One night at a masked ball she breaks through he
Tracie
Apr 08, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it
A strong 3.5

This book had some good buzz so I had to read it. I also liked the blurb about it. This is a strong showing from a debut author.

This was definitely a page turner for me and I stayed up until 4 am to finish it. I wanted to love this book but in the end I strongly liked it.

(view spoiler)
Rie_dominique
walaupun kurang suka sama intrik politik ato mata-mata dalam serial romane, tapi buku yang satu ini lumayan menarik juga.

lady Isobel, si dowager countess yang masih sangat muda ini terkurung dalam keluarga Maitland karena berdasarkan wasiat suaminya, perwalian anaknya dipegang oleh adik suaminya. dan kalau Isobel menunjukkan sikap yang sedikit saja melenceng dari aturan society, maka dia akan dipisahkan dengan anaknya.

Isobel sendiri merupakan orang yang pendiam dan tidak terlalu bergaul dan ia s
Jul 27, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, reviewed
Ada
Jul 13, 2012 Ada rated it liked it
  • The School for Brides (School for Brides, #1)
  • A View to a Kiss (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love, #1)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues, #1)
  • Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • Seducing the Governess
  • Most Eagerly Yours (Her Majesty's Secret Servants #1)
  • The Mistress Diaries (Pembroke Palace, #2)
  • More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)
  • Ripe for Pleasure (The League of Second Sons, #1)
  • My Reckless Surrender
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • My Irresistible Earl (Inferno Club, #3)
4441913
Lecia Cornwall lives and writes in Calgary, Canada, amid the beautiful foothills of the Canadian Rockies, with four cats, two teenagers, a crazy chocolate Lab, and one very patient husband. She is hard at work on her next book.
More about Lecia Cornwall...

Secrets (3 books)