The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)

The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,569 ratings  ·  92 reviews
The third volume of theMy Father's Dragon trilogy, this adventure may be enjoyed on its own. Here, the baby dragon summons Elmer to help save his family from hunters. "Elmer's plan is ingenious and plausible, the fantasy well-sustained."--(starred) Library Journal....more
Published November 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Blueland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Blueland

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books
87th out of 440 books — 841 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
207th out of 784 books — 1,510 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Aug 04, 2014 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents; Children
Recommended to Carmen by: Alice
Shelves: children, fiction
This is a pretty fun book about how the dragon tries to go home to his six sisters and seven brothers, and his dear gigantic mother and father.

On the way, he's spotted by a farmer, leading to the best part of the book, the hilarious Chapter Two: Mr. and Mrs. Wagonwheel. I was laughing out loud at these kooks. So funny.

More problems arise as the dragon approaches home only to find some men have trapped his family in their cave! Can he and his human friend Elmer save them?
Tracy
A wonderful early reader story. I remember reading this when I was little, the librarian @ my elementary had a bunch of us help her craft a gigantic yellow & blue paper mache (covering a 8x4 foot chicken wired body) dragon to be displayed in the library. When I had my own children I read the series them while they were small as well.
Liz Dean
This was my least favorite of the trilogy, because it just wasn't as funny as the first, and didn't have the feeling of adventure of the second. This was Charlie's favorite of the trilogy "because it had all the dragons in it."
Verkiezen
The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Stiles Gannett is the last book in the My Father's Dragon trilogy. This book follows the newly released baby dragon home where he finds that his parents and siblings have been backed into a cave by some human hunters. Boris (YES THE BABY DRAGON'S NAME IS BORIS. I might have squealed a little bit by how cute that was when I read it) returns to his friend Elmer to get help in releasing his family.

I loved this series. It's quick but delightful. Elmer is inventive an...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This story rounds out the trilogy begun with My Father's Dragon. Leaving Elmer at his home, the baby dragon flies away to his own home, the cave at the center of the Awful Desert in the Mountains of Blueland. There, his parents, six sisters and seven brothers are trapped in a cave whose entrance is guarded by a group of men. In desperation he returns to Elmer to ask for help, and their adventures commence. Through planning, judicious use of provisions, and ingenuity they free the dragon's family...more
Katie Dubik Schwarz
This book should get 3 1/2 stars--the average between 3 from me and 4 from Lorelei and Ben. But since I'm typing this and they are sleeping...3 stars it gets.

It's the third in the series that we've read, and I still think that these books are really good first-read-aloud-chapter books for kids. The stories are exciting little tales with a little bit of reality (i.e. there's a boy involved and he does have a real, human family) and a whole lot of fantasy (i.e. there are talking, flying dragons th...more
Drew Graham
As familiar as I may or may not have been with the previous two books in this trilogy, I don't have any recollection of this one at all until recently. When I picked up the first two it was only fitting I should round off the experience with this final chapter in the adventures of Elmer Elevator and his friend the dragon. After dropping Elmer off at home, the dragon heads to his homeland to be reunited with his large dragon family. When he learns that his gentle family is being threatened by a g...more
Mark Baker
The dragon returns home to find his entire family has been captured and he turns to Elmer for help in rescuing them. The trilogy winds down with a final fun tale about these unlikely allies using creativity against overwhelming odds.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Riho Uto
-Random House
-Time:9/17=24min 9/19=40min
-7 words summary:Dragon-Family-Caught-Rescue-Elmer-Support-Succeed
-Discussion questions:
1.Have you ever helped your family?
Yes, I have. I sometimes teach English or Maths to my younger sister. However,I have never helped my family from dangerous situations.
2.There are many colorful dragons. What color is the best for dragon?
I think green is the best! I like green and some pictures of dragons are normally green color.

I finished the series of Elmer. These...more
Judy
This is the story of Basil, a young dragon, who upon reaching his way home from being rescued by Elmer Elevator, finds that his family is netted in by fearful humans. Basil enlists Elmer's help in order to free them. This is a charming book like the other Dragon books, however, it doesn't have quite as much charm or pizazz as the others in the series. I would have liked to see Basil remedy his own problem since the title of the book is The Dragons of Blueland,not Elmer and the Dragons of Bluelan...more
Michelle
Wrapped up this series, reading aloud to my 9 year old son. We both enjoyed the series very much. Book 1 is by far the best.
A fantastic series. I'm not sure how I did not discover it earlier. If you've got little ones, read it to/with them!
Rebecca
Attention waned a bit, but still we all enjoyed this final installment to My Father's Dragon.
Jorie Turner
Dec 03, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades 1-3
Shelves: fantasy, chapter
Summary: Elmer and Boris return in the final book of the tiology. Men have discovered that the dragons are real and where they are living. Elmer and Boris quickly run off to the land of Blueland to help his family before the hunters find the dragons and capture them to sell to zoo's and circuses.
Response: This is probably the most thrilling and exciting book of the three. Every page offers decision making and consequences for Elmer and his dragn friends. Great illistrations of maps, the kids co...more
Collette
Jul 10, 2014 Collette added it
Shelves: kids, 2014
Of the 3 books, this was my second favorite. The first book had the most adventure in the story and this came second. The kids loved all three and really that is what mattered the most to me.
Kate Hooper
This was an excellent read aloud series. My boys really enjoyed it!
Jessica
Quick afternoon read aloud that all my kids seemed to enjoy.
Lynn
We finally meet Boris' (yes, that's his name!) family, but they are trapped and destined for capture. Enter, rather fly in, Elmer to the rescue in a classic adventure with a satisfying ending.
Lirongs8
May 08, 2008 Lirongs8 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lirongs8 by: It recommended by my school teacher
In this third and final installment of the classic Elmer and the Dragons trilogy, Elmer is safe and sound at home in Evergreen Park while Boris is heading to Blueland, where he'll retunite with his family. There's just one problem: hunter have trapped Boris's family and plan to capture and sell them to zoos all over the world! When Boris discoversthe hunters' plan, he knows exactly who to go to for help -Elmer Elevator, whose creative plans and schemes always save the day.
I have learn how to s...more
Karrie
This was the best of the three
Beth Anne
1/13: read aloud to Will and Emma. They loved the conclusion, and it's been a great series for Will. He said this was his favorite book of the three (although I'm more inclined to think it was his favorite because we just finished it!). So fun, so exciting, and wonderful illustrations.

1/13: Perfect ending to this great little series. Light, fun, and whimsical. Emma loved every bit of the quirky characters, the silly plot, and couldn't wait to see what would happen!
Carmen
My mother had an old copy of this book when I was a child and I loved the illustrations. As an adult, I often wondered about the book (my mother could not remember and the book has become lost over the years). I finally ran into someone who knew and discovered that it was part of a trilogy! I have read the other two, but this volume is still my favorite.
Ronster
Dec 03, 2007 Ronster rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
Fantasy and adventure. This is the last in the trilogy. The baby dragon finds his way home, but discovers that his family is trapped by hunters. He travels to find Elmer to get his help in order to save his family. Read along with two previous chapter books. Use as a read aloud and keep the trilogy in classroom library. Full of adventure and problem solving.
Richelle
This book was probably the most exciting one of the My Father's Dragon trilogy. Elmer and the cat were back. My five year old kept sneaking looks at the pictures in upcoming chapters after we were done reading each day because he really wanted to know what was going to happen next with trying to rescue the dragon's family from dragon hunters.
Polliwog
True to the style we grew to love in the first two, this final whimsical adventure story concludes Elmer's dragon escapades. The whole trilogy is a perfect read-aloud experience for preschoolers. I was incredibly pleased to have come across it, and recommend it to anyone with young children. Particularly if they are in any way imaginative.
Laura5
This series has a special hold on my heart - I can just tell that this will be one of those books that is forever cemented into my 6yr old son's memories of his childhood.
We have already talked about how we may read the whole series together again sometime.

(our copy is the anniversary edition of the three books bound together in one)
Cherese Vines
Oct 12, 2012 Cherese Vines rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 6+, adventure
This is the final book in the My Father's Dragon series. Elmer finally gets home and the Dragon makes his way home to Blueland only to find his family in danger of capture. The Dragon knows that only one person can help him so he turns to Elmer for help. This is another great adventure with imaginative resolutions to problems.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 27, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents lookin g for a good read aloud
The third and final story of the My Father's Dragon trilogy. Elmer and the dragon have returned to the dragon's home - but all is not well. Men have discovered the dragons, and are hunting them!
Best read as part of the trilogy, not alone. For kids ages 4-8, this is the perfect read aloud.
Christine
This triology was a fun set of stories we read to the kids. I didn't overly love them but the kids listened intently and really enjoyed them. I thought they were a good length for them to get used to the idea of listening to a story without the pictures being involved.
  • Dolphin Adventure: A True Story
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Class President
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Littles Go Exploring
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
  • The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...
My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1) Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2) Three Tales of My Father's Dragon My Father's Dragon: Books 1 and 2: #1 My Father's Dragon #2 Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon) Katie and the Sad Noise