Start by marking “Where the River Runs” as Want to Read:
Where the River Runs

Where the River Runs

Meridy Dresden was once a free-spirited, fun-loving girl. All that changed when the boy she loved was killed in a tragic fire. Now, years later, Meridy must return to the South Carolina Low Country and summon the courage to make a decision that may destroy everything she's worked so hard to protect-including her heart.
Published May 3rd 2005 by New American Library

Sep 18, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the graduation party, Meridy Dresden lit the firecracker that landed on the roof of a historical structure causing it to catch fire. Her boyfriend Danny Garrett ran into the structure to save his friends not knowing that they had already escaped. He died while jumping from the roof but his body was washed out to sea and not found until several days later. Meridy never admitted to causing the fire and this has eaten at her for many years. Now it is time to set it right and admit her mistake.

I adore Patti Callahan Henry's books and writing style. I feel as if I am floating along in a canoe, relaxing with just a few wonky currents along the way.

Where the River Runs's main character, Meridy Dresden, appears to have it all. However, she begins to question whether or not she has lost a part of herself. Her return to her childhood hometown allows her to begin the journey back to finding out who she is. I enjoyed learning more of the Gullah culture as well.

Go Cards! L1C4!!

Leann Miller
Feb 08, 2016 Leann Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants to have a beach read
"Where the River Runs" was vividly wonderful to read. I felt like I was part of the book. I love the southern historic aspects of the story and how all the characters have a coming of age moment during the story. Meridy is this girl that grew up living life to the fullest and then tragedy happens in her life. Because of this tragedy, she molds herself to be a person that she later realizes she can be no longer.

She learns through supporting characters in the book that she was not the fault of the
Susan O'Bryant
Where the River Runs is a story of a "perfect" woman from a "perfect" family who, after building a model life in Atlanta, returns to her hometown of Seaboro, South Carolina to come to grips with her history and rekindle the spirit of the lively girl she used to be.

Meridy McFadden Dresden had tamped down memories of her first love until her mother calls with news that makes her remember. Guilt compels her to go home and try to make things right. With family dynamics galore, dear friends, and a wo
Jul 28, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story concerns a woman who returns to her childhood home in the Low Country of South Carolina to do research and write curriculum on the Gullah culture. While there she confronts some secrets from her past and realizes her forgotten dreams. Most chapters begin with a Gullah proverb. Even though it has a similar theme to the last book I read by this author, I think it has an interesting plot and explores some complex relationships.
Jun 21, 2014 Moey17 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this, heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time! I think everyone has felt like Meridy at times in their life, like they lost part of themselves and need to find it again, her journey was inspiringly sweet. Loved the pace, the surprising moments of humor, and the feel of the lowcountry the author put in with each word, just a really charming read!
Nov 07, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast read on a day off school. This story is set in the lowcountry of So. Carolina, with some history and cultural insight of the Gullah, told by an old housekeeper. The story is about a woman who goes back to her childhood home to rediscover who she really is and where people in her life fit. I liked Henry's writing.
Barbara White
Mar 13, 2013 Barbara White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is only my second Patti Callahan Henry, and I am thrilled to discover her work. I consumed this novel in two days. I loved the characters, I loved the plot, but most of all I loved the wonderful writing. Her descriptions are mouthwateringly good. I could hear, see, feel the water. Can't wait to read everything else she's written!
Mary L
Aug 05, 2013 Mary L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patti Callahan Henry is my favorite author. I find myself, if just a bit, in each and every character she crafts with her writing. I am invariably drawn in immediately to her writing, and stay to the very end, always wanting more. This book is no exception. I have learned so much about myself from reading Meridy's story. It is one you should not miss.
Jeannie Scheirman
I love the way this author uses the South Carolina as her setting. In this novel, she explains alot about the Gullah culture through the main character, Meridy's, search to learn about her life. I can't wait to read her next book!
Jan 26, 2009 Chana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-southern
Southern and insipid, weepy and feel-good, pulling on the heart-strings, bordering on stupid, it is a light-weight novel that I read in a few hours. It didn't appeal to me but I can see that it may be a popular read, something they might sell at Wal-Mart.
Jun 10, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-10
A friend of mine marked this as to read so I thought it might be worth checking out. I really like books set in the South for some reason, and this fits the bill. The story is captivating and interesting. I will definitely check out other books by this author.
Jan 11, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Wonderful southern story. You can go home again, and you can change the course your life has taken.
Shannon Harris
Oct 04, 2014 Shannon Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love her books! I laughed, cried, and felt all on this book.
Sep 13, 2014 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good
Jun 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a sequel to this one!
Virginia Clayton
This is an amazing story. You will not want to put the book down.
Maggie Cudic
Jan 18, 2015 Maggie Cudic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, could not put down.
Sonja Cannell
Apr 04, 2015 Sonja Cannell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every book of Patti Callahan Henry's, and this one was absolutely amazing!
Keshia Blevins
Sep 19, 2016 Keshia Blevins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! At first I wasn't sure I would but just a couple of pages in and I realized it would be a wonderful story. Everyone can relate to Meridy at some point or another. There are so many things going on in life and we are so busy that sometimes we live on auto pilot and forget to actually live our lives.
Feb 02, 2011 Christie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A while back I read Henry’s novel Losing the Moon and although I had misgivings when I started the novel, it won me over in the end. Sadly, I can’t say the same about Where the River Runs. I wanted to like it, I really did…but I just had so many problems with it.

Where the River Runs is the story of Meridy Dresden, lawyer’s wife and mother to a teenage son, BJ. She has a strained relationship with her mother and sister and a big secret that she’s kept since the summer she graduated from high scho
Shonna Froebel
Apparently I gave this book to my mother a while back (although I have no memory of that) and while I am visiting she suggested I read it. It is set mostly in South Carolina Lowcountry, and the main character, Meridy Dresden, grew up in this area. A tragedy happened at a graduation party the summer after Meridy's senior year and her parents sent her away to her grandparents for the summer. She went on to university as planned, and met a wonderful man, got married and had a son. She now lives in ...more
Henry writes about the lowcountry, but somehow I never managed to see or feel it through her words. Maybe it was my mood, but when I read a book about the lowcountry, I want to feel the pluff mud squish between my toes, smell the salt-kissed air and hear an egret's cry. I think I prefer Shakespeare's words as a plot summary: "The course of true love never did run smooth." I liked the gullah proverbs that started each chapter, and wished that promise had played out a bit more. I guess instead of ...more
Linda Day
I liked this book, but wasn't wild about it. Overheard a couple of ladies in the check-out line talking about it, so, being the bookoholic that I am, I checked it out and it was ok, but not check-out line worthy, if you know what I mean ... ;o)

The story of a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend (Meridy) who returns to her home in SC to write a curriculum on the Gullah community for her son's private school. I know ... I never heard of the Gullah community, either, but learning about these desc
Nov 18, 2009 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meridy returns to her childhood home after twenty some odd years where she faces some difficult truths about herself and her friends Timmy and Danny, and her family. Her mother, always one to keep up appearances, still came out smelling like roses even after the fire that destroyed the Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage among other things.

Meridy doesn't get along well with neither her mother or her sister, Sissy. She's wondering if her husband Beau has his sights set on the law firm's junior partner, e
Jun 17, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
I enjoyed this book more than the other one I just read by this author, "Between the Tides". I think it was because there was a little 'Gullah' thrown in! But the theme of feeling guilty your whole life for something that happened when you were young was just a little overdone for me once again. You never thought of the event, you made a new life, you never went that realistic? Maybe it is, but I found it a bit unbelievable. All in all, a quick read but not one I will remember or read ...more
Dec 01, 2015 Nannette rated it it was amazing
I have never visited the Low Countries, but they came to life for me through the books of Pat Conroy and Anne Rivers Siddons. A new name has been added to that small list by this beautifully written book by Patti Callahan Henry. I found it easy to identify with the character of Meridy because the author has put her story to paper in a loving and reapectful way. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Mar 11, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
I just saw Patti Callahan Henry has a new Book out..."Where The River Runs " was my first one by this very inspiring Author...Then read Losing the Moon and now The Art of Keeping Secrets by Patti Callahan Henry Her New Book...
Jun 18, 2010 Alesha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to clarify that I'm technically giving this book a 3.5. I thought it was better than her first book I read, but not quite deserving of a 4. I think I'm picking up on a theme in her books, but I'll comment more on that topic once I've read the next one. I will say that I liked that she mentioned a character from her first book even though they have nothing to do with each other. I just like those connections.
This book is decent, but not great. The writing is average with a few sentences that stand out and grab the reader. The audience is limited in that in order to truly appreciate the book, one needs to be a woman in her 40s because the themes revolve around shifting identities of women in that age bracket. While they were likeable, I wanted a bit more from the characters.
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Sweetgrass
  • Bound South
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)
  • Bulls Island
  • Summer in the South
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch (Queen Bee Series, #1)
  • Savannah from Savannah
  • Islands
  • Folly
Patti Callahan Henry is the New York Times Bestelling novelist of eleven novels. Her latest is THE IDEA OF LOVE with St. Martins Press.

Patti grew up as a Minister’s daughter, learning early how storytelling effects our lives. She grew up spending her summers on Cape Cod where she began her love affair with the beach, ocean, tides and nature of the coast. Moving south at the tender age of twelve,
More about Patti Callahan Henry...

“You need to take care of the root in order to heal the tree. - Gullah Proverb” 6 likes
“Maybe I'd ignored longing so many times through the years until eventually I'd just stopped feeling it.” 4 likes