My First Crush: Misadventures in Wine Country

My First Crush: Misadventures in Wine Country

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When Linda Kaplan’s husband quit his law firm in Des Moines and bought Panther Creek, a vineyard in Oregon’s Willamette Valley, Kaplan went along for the ride, though she couldn’t tell an earthy wine with a hint of cherries from a glass of grape juice. It didn’t matter: They were going to make pinot noir in a small town, and they would learn how or go crazy trying. Kaplan...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about My First Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Crush

Turi
Another Oregon wine book. My First Crush: Misadventures in Wine Country by Linda Kaplan. This one comes from the point of view of a couple who moved from Iowa to McMinnville in the early 90's to run Panther Creek winery. Specifically, her point of view - she was pretty unschooled in the wine world at the time. That's what makes this such a fun read: it's very unpretentious. She allows us to learn along with her mistakes, while providing sidebars that explain things that she's learned over the ye...more
carolyn
the true story of a couple from Iowa that move to Oregon to run Panther Creek Winery. They really do make fantastic Pinot Noirs! She's unpretentious and very Midwestern. Some of her goofiness had me rolling my eyes (the bit about the nutria) but she's very honest and real. I learned so much about wine and winemaking in a laidback, conversational way. For that alone the book was well worth reading.
Chris Shaffer
Overall, I liked this story of uprooting your life after your kids leave for college. The biggest negative for me was my lack of sympathy for the author's "rich people problems." I learned a reasonable amount about Oregon winemaking and Pinot Noir from the notes that were interspersed throughout the book.
Chelsea Heath
Really enjoyed this book! It's a true story about a couple who moved from Iowa and bought a winery in McMinville, OR in 1994. It's great ~ easy to read, interesting, and also gives a lot of good information about wine and winemaking in general. Loved it!
Beverly
Entertaining little book about a woman and her husband approaching 50 who buy a winery in Oregon, a winery without a vineyard. It is a good walk through of what it takes to put out a good bottle of wine. The author has a great sense of humor.
Grove Ayers
Another book I encountered because of an NPR interview! And, gladly, this book introduced me the the concept of "terroir" within the wine world. Now I used that term with wine and with life. A quick, easy read.
Robyn
Personal account of new empty-nesters from Des Moines who buy a winery in Oregon. Lots of specifics about the wine-making process, viticulture and pinot noir. I was pleasantly surprised.
Jana
Oct 14, 2009 Jana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jana by: Bookclub
A lot of information about wine and I did appreciate the difficulty in picking up and moving your life after 50 years in one place. She just didn't pull everything together very well.
Diane C.

Kaplan describes wine making in great detail, and I appreciated following her through the extremely hard work of running a winery, but it was a bit pedantic.
Manalo_ella45yahoo.com
Manalo_ella45yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Danica Rice
Danica Rice marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Cody Clark
Cody Clark marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Elena Odnolko
Elena Odnolko marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2011